AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-09, 11:43   Link #81
Alcy
Left! Right! Seven! Cake!

Eek. x_x I'm not familiar with that series, but Americanization is just stupid. (If we wanted something American, we would've bought something American, you know?)
Old 2003-12-09, 13:17   Link #82
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

The fact that 'Ikkitousen' translates into something along the lines of 'strength of a thousand' means that 'Battle Vixens' is TokyoPop's way of saying that as long as there's panties in it, America will like it. Sadly, it's true. But still.

edit: Didn't wanna make a new post, but I have more to say :/

Another thing about TP. People always say stuff like 'they're staying true to the original by leaving the sounds untranslated'. But everyone that says that has no idea what the hell the sounds are. ADV does it right. Viz does it semi-right (I think the japanese sounds artistically enhance the pages, so changing them to english ones hurts my heart, but at least the illiterate know what's going on). The only reason TP stopped doing it the viz way was for the same reason the scanslators don't do it the VIz way. Because it's EASIER. Seriously, anyone with a limited knowledge of the Kana can guess a sound based on the pronunciation and the drawing style. But there's no way for some 15 year old to know that the boxy 'ドゴン' at the bottom of the panel is the sound of some guy falling off a horse. He just pretends he does. You know, 'cause it makes him feel smarter.
Old 2003-12-09, 13:22   Link #83
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

y do they still americanize everything anyways?? is this some racist thing where they want the kids of america to be as "american" as they can be or something? I know korea used to blank out japanese writings in anime when they were still bitter about the war. But wat does america have against a country they nuked to hell?? Boycott it until at least the names are the original japanese names.

14 yr old new jersey boy??? wrong coast, wrong age group, wrong ethnicity too.
like ive said, been reading mangas since 198_ (i was too young then to remember the yr)

no i dont run often since ive gotten this weird thing going on with my body. I dont get hurt too often. Ive been trhu shit and it just never hurt... oddly. I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing since i can still get injured or die even if it doesnt hurt....If u go to the general chat section, u might have read my posts in the "fight..blahblah" section. I dont talk shit online because i get picked on in real life like the 14 yr olds from new jersey (im not saying u are, just pointing out the common ppl who do)

anyways: get backer seems really popular, but i never looked into it before. I dont know, something about the title kept me away. (dont ask me wat since i dont know) Wats the story about??

Maveric: im not really a fan of love stories....LH is the only one, if u even count it as a love story actually... I think i liked LH partially because some of the things have happened to me (not exact same situation, jsut similiar)

btw snoopy: do u still have psychic academy on ur site? or do i have to wait for TP to publish and buy the rip off 9.99?
Old 2003-12-09, 13:36   Link #84
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

*grrr*... I just edited my post... yet I could have waited like 2 minutes and written it in here... *sigh*

Actually, I'm the kind of guy that no one bothers to pick on. My best friend actually was talking to me about it the other day saying "You know... I don't think anyone actually -dislikes- you... some may not like you, but no one would bother messing with you..." I'm nuetral amongst the nuetral people. Kinda like that guy who's standing behind you but that you never notice until you step backwards and run into him.

Get Backers: Two guys with special powers, one has the Jagan (evil eye), and the other controles electricity, are 'repo agents'. They get stuff back that people lose. Basically, they have fights with 'transport agents' (I totally forget the one word name for that... damn.. this'll bug me...) and stuff like that. The longer it goes, the more incredible the opponents become, and you learn alot about 'mugenjou', the giant towering wreck of buildings in the middle of the city. It's really entertaining. Actually, I think I was hooked from the very beginning, which is odd for me.

PA's off the site. Actually, it was only on the site for like a day before it was taken off (when it was announced, we simply put everything that was finished... ie, all of it... on the site, 'cause I couldn't let the work go to waste). But it's still available through backdoor means and stuff... since there's no way to really get rid of it. I recommend you check out a few chapters and buy it if you like it.
Old 2003-12-09, 18:51   Link #85
Alcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
Another thing about TP. People always say stuff like 'they're staying true to the original by leaving the sounds untranslated'. But everyone that says that has no idea what the hell the sounds are. ADV does it right. Viz does it semi-right (I think the japanese sounds artistically enhance the pages, so changing them to english ones hurts my heart, but at least the illiterate know what's going on). The only reason TP stopped doing it the viz way was for the same reason the scanslators don't do it the VIz way. Because it's EASIER. Seriously, anyone with a limited knowledge of the Kana can guess a sound based on the pronunciation and the drawing style. But there's no way for some 15 year old to know that the boxy 'ドゴン' at the bottom of the panel is the sound of some guy falling off a horse. He just pretends he does. You know, 'cause it makes him feel smarter.
I disagree. I can read the sounds, and that's why I like them. They make sense to me, unlike many romanized sounds. In fact, some of those are downright confusing. I don't know how many people are familiar with the English version of Raika, but I had to actually pause and think about those. o_o And I don't know why you're discriminating against younger people, either. I'm 17, almost 18, and have been literate in Japanese for four years.

EDIT: Perhaps I was a bit harsh there. I guess for people clueless as to basic kana, Viz does make sense usually. Whoever published Raika (can't remember except that it was obscure) would've only succeeded in further confusing them. But, for the rest of us, there's either Tokyopop or untrans. Untrans isn't always easy to find, and sometimes on a high level, so Tokyopop with kana inclusions can benefit students. I suppose it would be fairer to those who don't know Japanese to add footnotes or something, though.
Old 2003-12-09, 19:43   Link #86
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

From what I've seen of TP, they make no effort at doing anything with sfx. Be that romanizing them or translating them. ADV leaves them in, yet provides a translation (bam, boom, chirp, etc) off to the side, which I believe to be the best method, leaving it for purists such as myself, and giving illiterate 15 year olds a way to know what's happening. And no, not all 15 year olds are japanese illiterate. But I was, so there.

And I've never seen Raika, so I can't comment on that...
Old 2003-12-09, 19:54   Link #87
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
From what I've seen of TP, they make no effort at doing anything with sfx. Be that romanizing them or translating them. ADV leaves them in, yet provides a translation (bam, boom, chirp, etc) off to the side, which I believe to be the best method, leaving it for purists such as myself, and giving illiterate 15 year olds a way to know what's happening. And no, not all 15 year olds are japanese illiterate. But I was, so there.

TP attempted the side sfx translation in LH up tp vol.7, then they gave up. Wonder why tho?
Old 2003-12-09, 19:55   Link #88
maxthelostboy

Quote:

snoopy is so cool! i like knowing the sound affects but not them changing the art.
Old 2003-12-09, 20:21   Link #89
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
TP attempted the side sfx translation in LH up tp vol.7, then they gave up. Wonder why tho?
Because it takes about 15 minutes more per chapter. That's 2 hours per volume. Which would mean that one editor could produce roughly 1 more volume per week without translated sound effects. Then there's the price of translations... I don't know if the difference is even noticable, tho. That's the only reason I can think of. TokyoPop made their name by being fast and snatching the best mangas. They know perfectly well that people will buy GTO whether they edit it well or not, so what's the point in paying a good editor to do it?

Really, some company should take a chance and hire scanslators to coordinate one of their mangas... seriously, we get things done so much better than half of the professionals out there, and we work 9 to 5 jobs or go to school on top of it. It's almost depressing how poorly the majority of the American manga companies handle business and fan relations.
Old 2003-12-09, 20:33   Link #90
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Because it takes about 15 minutes more per chapter. That's 2 hours per volume. Which would mean that one editor could produce roughly 1 more volume per week without translated sound effects. Then there's the price of translations... I don't know if the difference is even noticable, tho. That's the only reason I can think of. TokyoPop made their name by being fast and snatching the best mangas. They know perfectly well that people will buy GTO whether they edit it well or not, so what's the point in paying a good editor to do it?

Really, some company should take a chance and hire scanslators to coordinate one of their mangas... seriously, we get things done so much better than half of the professionals out there, and we work 9 to 5 jobs or go to school on top of it. It's almost depressing how poorly the majority of the American manga companies handle business and fan relations.
well... good news is, the next generation editors will know how crappy it is to have all these errors, and ppl like you will take up to jobs. Im glad im young enough to have had anime fans who hated americanizing to start getting old enough to take these jobs. Go for it, anime fans know better than these editors probably.
Old 2003-12-09, 21:09   Link #91
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

It's a pipe dream, man. I could get into the industry if I wanted (I'm sure some one would hire me...), but it's not like the work horse gets a say. Especially not in a company like TP or Viz. On the other hand, some people in the community are actually working on finding capitol to start a new company, and I've been communicating with them for a while. But it's probably not going to happen, and if it does, it'll be real real small.

Really, things are moving in generally the correct direction. Prices are falling, which is a good thing (they're still too high, but they were way higher), flipped manga is virtually never made anymore, and some companies are beginning to respect the art form as much as it deserves. And the driving force behind the changes was actually TokyoPop. Back when Viz was the only name in manga, they would have laughed in your face if you asked them to stop flipping the pages and changing the character's names to what they knew we wanted them to be from the beginning ( ). Then TP came along and released faster and cheaper, and Viz had to change it's strategy, but then people started to look more closely at TP and we realized they have just as much faults as what they replaced, only they're the kind that eat at you over time rather than jump at you from the page. And now ADV's come along... there release schedule is... bad, but the rest is what I would do if I was in charge.
Old 2003-12-09, 21:43   Link #92
Alcy

Quote:
Really, things are moving in generally the correct direction. Prices are falling, which is a good thing (they're still too high, but they were way higher), flipped manga is virtually never made anymore, and some companies are beginning to respect the art form as much as it deserves. And the driving force behind the changes was actually TokyoPop. Back when Viz was the only name in manga, they would have laughed in your face if you asked them to stop flipping the pages and changing the character's names to what they knew we wanted them to be from the beginning ( ). Then TP came along and released faster and cheaper, and Viz had to change it's strategy, but then people started to look more closely at TP and we realized they have just as much faults as what they replaced, only they're the kind that eat at you over time rather than jump at you from the page. And now ADV's come along... there release schedule is... bad, but the rest is what I would do if I was in charge.
I haven't seen any manga by ADV yet. What titles have they picked up? Do they have a site?
Old 2003-12-09, 21:48   Link #93
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Full Metal Panic and Azumanga Daioh are both ADV... and there may be others, I'm not really familiar with their full license list. So far I've only picked up FMP volume 1, but I thought it was done exceedingly well, and I hear that others are similar.
Old 2003-12-09, 22:28   Link #94
maxthelostboy

ADVMANGA COPY RIGHTS
*Numbers relate to number of volumes kown as the time of this info*
angel/dust Aoi Nanase 1
ARIA R^2 3+
Azumanga Daioh Kiyohiko Azuma 4
Blue Inferior 4
Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
Cat Shit One
Chrono Crusade 6+
Dark Side Blues
Demon City Hunter 17
Demon City Shinjuku 2
Demon Palace Babylon 2
Desert Coral 3+
Figure 17 2
Full Metal Panic! Gatoh Shoji & Tateo Retsu 6+
Gunslinger Girl 2+
Happy Lesson 1+
Jinki: Extend 3+
Kagerou Nostalgia ~The New Chapter~ 1+
KI-ME-RA
Louie the Run Soldier N/A
Najica Blitz Tactics 3+
R2 - Rise R to The Second Power 1+
Seven of Seven 3
Steel Angel Kurumi 9
Those Who Hunt Elves 21
To Heart 3
Yours and My Secret
source: http://mangabits.com/publishers/publisher.php?id=7

so far i got full metal panic (good)
Gunsligner Gilrs vol1 cool book
and city hunter looked cool yet to read .......
Old 2003-12-09, 23:42   Link #95
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

i heard ADV is the best out there. Not lazy, not stingy with prices, and appreciates the fan's wishes. Im picking up Full MEtal Panic next time i go to borders, love the anime.

wat was the price on the manga back then? (when u started) Until recently ive read all my mangas in korean, which are 25 cents to rent and $3 to buy at K-town mana (korean for manga) stores. REALLY cheap eh? i could by an entire series with the same price for 1 book in english. im a better english speaker tho, so im more comfortable with english. was still a kid when i left good ol korea.

Viz is kinda sad... i hate how they changed the names of attacks in One Piece, but everything else is good.
Old 2003-12-09, 23:55   Link #96
maxthelostboy

well $18 - 15$ was the norm still hasnt changed with stupid dark horse yet and they licensed 3 great series! Trigun! Hellsing! Beserk! Get with it darkhorse we dont want those high prices anymore! SHonen jump novels r still the cheapest. Maybe with more competition on the way will have even cheaper prices! RUn out and get full metal panic manga you wont be angry at all after words. also gunslinger is a must if you watch the show! Manga is 10x cooler than anime and alot cheaper most the time
Old 2003-12-10, 00:11   Link #97
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthelostboy
well $18 - 15$ was the norm still hasnt changed with stupid dark horse yet and they licensed 3 great series! Trigun! Hellsing! Beserk! Get with it darkhorse we dont want those high prices anymore! SHonen jump novels r still the cheapest. Maybe with more competition on the way will have even cheaper prices! RUn out and get full metal panic manga you wont be angry at all after words. also gunslinger is a must if you watch the show! Manga is 10x cooler than anime and alot cheaper most the time
like i said, i could have an entire series in korean for the same price of one book. hahaha. I knew i shouldve study korean better. Its hard for me to read the more "mature" titles. It sucks cuz korean is a closer language than enlgish is to japanese.
Old 2003-12-10, 00:56   Link #98
Alcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
wat was the price on the manga back then? (when u started) Until recently ive read all my mangas in korean, which are 25 cents to rent and $3 to buy at K-town mana (korean for manga) stores. REALLY cheap eh? i could by an entire series with the same price for 1 book in english. im a better english speaker tho, so im more comfortable with english. was still a kid when i left good ol korea.
Wow. I've heard there were a lot of good original Korean series as well-except I don't know any Korean. Since many Japanese series get translated into Korean, what about K to J? Sorry if this is kinda OT here!
Old 2003-12-10, 01:00   Link #99
Alcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthelostboy
SHonen jump novels r still the cheapest. Maybe with more competition on the way will have even cheaper prices! RUn out and get full metal panic manga you wont be angry at all after words. also gunslinger is a must if you watch the show! Manga is 10x cooler than anime and alot cheaper most the time
Shounen Jump...ehh, I get kinda iffy on them. I picked up one issue (US version) on a whim, DBZ was the censored version and I assume other series in it may be as well. (I also was displeased at romanizations in Yuu Yuu Hakusho, including the title, but Funimation's really to blame for that.) If you're looking for an English manga anthology, I'd recommend Animerica Extra over it, even though it is flipped...or Raijin, though at the time of the issue I read, there was only one series I really liked.
Old 2003-12-10, 01:23   Link #100
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

although ive never read them myself, i believe the most famous korean manga is Ragnarok. I never picked it up since the art looks like a clutter of fan art... and since i never found Vol. 1. It supposed to be pretty good.

koreans do make lots of og manga. (#2 in world...) But the specialty that koreans have shown is animation. Watch a disney movie or an episode of naruto and wait for the credits. The animators will have last names such as :kim, lee, park, chung, etc etc of koreans. Krns are famous in animation, but not so much in manga yet.

If the Japanese get krn manga translated, they would have to read the opposite way~ since krn is like english, left to right. hahaha thats funny, i can imagine japanese ppl going "i cant believe Seoul Pop flipped the manga!! And wat kinda name is 'Namato?' its supposed to be 'Nam Ho'!!"
Closed Thread