AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On!! (Second Season) - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 33 37.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 26.97%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 23.60%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 7.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.37%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.12%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-05, 11:13   Link #41
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Only if Mugi continues to supply Azusa's Light Music Club with "cake".

Or the Jazz Club and the Light Music Club combine (because both need at least four members each, Jazz Club as at least three next year if those two freshman stay with Jun, and the Light Music Club has maybe two if Ui joins Azusa)

Ton-chan on drums?

Oh and I can see Ui commuting to whereever Yui is after club activities end to make sure she's eating and everything...if Yui doesn't still live at home with Ui.

That is if HTT doesn't meet at a different location for "practise, tea, and cakes" with Azusa.
Old 2010-05-05, 11:49   Link #42
Manwards
Cunning Linguist

Send a message via MSN to Manwards
I'm really enjoying this series so far. It's already surpassed the first, in my opinion. The characters are less one-note and the humour hits much more often. This week certainly wasn't as good as last week's episode - that seems to intentionally be the case, with Ui and Azusa hanging on Yui's every text. But it was good to see the little guys in the limelight for once. It's certainly the first time we've really gotten a sense of Jun's personality. And after their impromptu jam session, there's the suggestion that Ui and Jun will jump ship to the club next year.

Funniest moment this week? "Skull". It slayed me last week, and I really wasn't expecting to hear it again this week. I was hoping for a concert next week, but it looks like we'll be waiting a bit longer. If this series has been confirmed to be 20+ episodes, then that isn't really a problem.
Old 2010-05-05, 12:01   Link #43
kitten320

Well so far there is no specific number so it really might be longer than 1st season^^
Old 2010-05-05, 12:09   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Interesting... in the space of about 30 seconds, they managed to move Jun-chan from being "just a cardboard minor character" to seeming to be a fully fledged out personality.
(around 8:20 onward). She's like this closet-Ritsu who'd like to be more like Mio but ... not happening.

They've done a pretty good job of creating a threesome with their own mix of eccentricities.

edit: and wow Azusa has an amazing waterfall of hair...

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-05-05 at 12:27.
Old 2010-05-05, 12:45   Link #45
Chamusri

Nice episode. Jun is liked Ritsu. Ui is liked Yui+Mugi and Azusa is liked Mio. If they can find the new drummer they can form a new band. >_<

P.S. Feel sad that the time when Yui, Mio, Ritsu and Mugi graduate will come shortly.
Old 2010-05-05, 13:09   Link #46
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I think she actually said (in Japanese, as opposed to the sub): "like a Japanese doll." The kind that has straight dark hair.

Not criticizing the sub, just saying.

These past two episodes have really brought back my enjoyment of this show.
Aye, I believe she said "kokeshi" which are those little cylindrical dolls with long straight black hair with bangs (usually made of wood and painted).

The term is not always a compliment. I give the translator a pass... since the same can be said for anime figures (not always a compliment).

This is one of the very few series where I've found "anime-only" episodes actually add great value to the story.
Old 2010-05-05, 14:28   Link #47
Manwards
Cunning Linguist

As much as I love K-ON!!, the "story" is 90% girls being girls. In that context, I'm not sure what you'd classify as "filler". Besides, I thought the last anime-only episode (Ritsu trying new instruments) had some of the best character development AND musical focus of the entire series.
Old 2010-05-05, 14:39   Link #48
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by krko View Post
Also can some kind soul identify what brand of guitar Asuza and the two freshmen used, as well as Jun's bass
They look like beginner guitars to me. Fender Squier perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwen View Post
This is the Ayanyan.
Gimme. Now.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-05-05, 14:43   Link #49
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwards View Post
As much as I love K-ON!!, the "story" is 90% girls being girls. In that context, I'm not sure what you'd classify as "filler". Besides, I thought the last anime-only episode (Ritsu trying new instruments) had some of the best character development AND musical focus of the entire series.
Well.. I didn't call it "filler" (maybe you were responding to someone else?). Just "anime-only" (meaning material not in the 4-koma). Kyoani is working with the mangaka on these episodes so, in effect its an opportunity for him to get things made that were either missed before or it just didn't fit into the constraints of 4-koma. This is the kind of 'anime-only' I appreciate (unlike some of the derails in Lucky*Star that were basically industry referential product promotion).
Old 2010-05-05, 16:19   Link #50
Manwards
Cunning Linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well.. I didn't call it "filler" (maybe you were responding to someone else?).
Mm, I was referring to various other people who have called this episode and others "filler" in a pejorative way. It just seems an odd way of looking at things, as most "main" episodes of K-ON! would be considered filler in the majority of other shows. Doubly odd, considering the two "filler" episodes in this series have done more to develop the characters than most of the entire first series did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
They look like beginner guitars to me. Fender Squier perhaps?
Yep, looked like a Squier to me. I should know; I own one myself! Fittingly, I named mine Aki-chan, after Yui's voice actress. One of the pickups is slightly angled on mine, but otherwise Azunyan's was a dead ringer. And she had a blue one, too, the lucky thing! I had to settle for sunburst.

Last edited by Manwards; 2010-05-05 at 16:44.
Old 2010-05-05, 16:56   Link #51
Chocolate Pocky

I Liked this episode lots! Jun has persionality! Her joke was funny, I must say~. How does Jun fall asleep that fast anyways? Their little jam session was fantastic. And ...there's a curse in the next episode? :l
Old 2010-05-05, 17:32   Link #52
Nerroth
NePoi!

It was funny seeing Azunyan's expression after daydreaming of what a more assertive Yui would be like.

Plus, I wouldn't like to see how sad Ui might have been at other times Yui may have went away - when there was no Azunyan or Jun to keep her company.

I can imagine Azunyan leaving her hair long once she graduates, or maybe if/when she takes over the band in her senior year.
Old 2010-05-05, 20:03   Link #53
ryohei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, I believe she said "kokeshi" which are those little cylindrical dolls with long straight black hair with bangs (usually made of wood and painted).

The term is not always a compliment. I give the translator a pass... since the same can be said for anime figures (not always a compliment).

This is one of the very few series where I've found "anime-only" episodes actually add great value to the story.
What Azu-nyan mentioned is not kokeshi but Nihon-ningyou(Japanese doll, the other name is Ichimatsu ningyou.)

Your knowledge about kokeshi is precise. Yes, it is made of wood and painted, do not have hair.

Spoiler for not anime image:

Ichimatsu doll has black long straight hair.
"You look like Japanese doll." is expression to praise. It means that you are traditional Japanese beauty.
But......
Spoiler for not anime image:

looks of Japanese doll is horror, especially at night. Japanese children often feel fear to it.
There are famous episodes "they have blood tear on their eyes every night" or "their hair becomes longer and longer every day" or more...

That's a reason Azu-nyan don't like this praise expression.
I guess Mio hates it more. XD
Old 2010-05-05, 20:38   Link #54
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Wow, this episode was great had good bit of development for the trio, and plenty of Azusa and Ui cuteness, plus the set-up jokes from last week were amusing . Easily my favorite episode so far of season 2.

Though I still can't decide on if I like Asuza's hair down, or twintails cause both look so good on her . Also on ...
Spoiler for Yuri/etc:
MAL
Old 2010-05-05, 20:52   Link #55
qwevfr

It's nice to see this episode involved the chracters normally in the sidelines rather than the normal 4. The combine azusa and ui is nice...
Old 2010-05-05, 21:19   Link #56
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The "skull" joke was setup pretty well.

Also Yui's phone call to Azusa was timed well...I'd almost forgotten about it when she called.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2010-05-05 at 21:32.
Old 2010-05-05, 21:27   Link #57
tenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by krko View Post
Also can some kind soul identify what brand of guitar Asuza and the two freshmen used, as well as Jun's bass
Girl w/ the baby blue guitar is using a Planet Soldier guitar. At least that's what it said on the headstock. Looks like a Fender replica, which is why Squier comes to mind (it's a Stratocaster clone). Looks like that kind of guitar actually exists...in Japan anyways. Azunyan uses her Mustang in that scene, but it looks like she's also using a Planet Soldier later (can't really read it, but the branding looks similar). Same with the black (dark blue?) guitar the other freshman is using.

Don't know what Jun's using; it's not a Fender head stock, so it's not a Fender or a Fender clone.
Old 2010-05-05, 21:43   Link #58
Friday
Im shy too...

just thinking......

the only way Jun is going to leave, if Ui joins as well......

my 2 cents......
Old 2010-05-05, 22:43   Link #59
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Only if Mugi continues to supply Azusa's Light Music Club with "cake".
I suspect if do get to the point post graduation of the HTT four I believe we might get an anime original character.

Mugi has a ton of expensive stuff there I can see it as a hand me down if she has a little sister.
Old 2010-05-05, 22:43   Link #60
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenton View Post
Don't know what Jun's using; it's not a Fender head stock, so it's not a Fender or a Fender clone.
It's a Yamaha bass. The body is similar to a RBX model, but the headstock looks as though it came from a Parker guitar. That said, that's definitely the Yamaha logo on the headstock itself.
Closed Thread