AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-24, 10:30   Link #21
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

So far the only arcs I can say I've liked Junichi as a character in are Kaoru's and so far Ai's currently. I couldn't stand him in Haruka's or Sae's arcs.
Old 2010-09-24, 10:32   Link #22
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

But did anyone REALLY like his entire character and personality in Sae's story? I still have my facepalm marks from episode 10.
Old 2010-09-24, 10:34   Link #23
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Hell, I'm chain re-watching Kaoru's arc in an attempt to convince myself Sae's arc didn't happen at all. The only good moment Junichi had in Sae's arc was his 4th wall break at the beginning of it.
Old 2010-09-24, 10:35   Link #24
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Junichi's best moments--really, the only moments in which I particularly liked him at all--were during the Kaoru arc when he was being supportive of her. I went cross-eyed and said "Good, Nar--Junichi, you look kind of cool."

Basically, so far, Junichi has been the guy that each girl deserves/is ready for. Haruka's off in la-la land, so she got the puppy love of a Junichi who isn't all there himself. Kaoru's maturing through a less-than-ideal family situation and supporting herself, so she gets a Junichi who is manning up and taking his first steps towards being an adult. Sae is a moe-blob, so she got a Junichi who is as likely to motorboat her as he is to talk to her.

I suspect that the remaining girls will get the same treatment.
Old 2010-09-24, 15:52   Link #25
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Junichi's best moments--really, the only moments in which I particularly liked him at all--were during the Kaoru arc when he was being supportive of her. I went cross-eyed and said "Good, Nar--Junichi, you look kind of cool."

Basically, so far, Junichi has been the guy that each girl deserves/is ready for. Haruka's off in la-la land, so she got the puppy love of a Junichi who isn't all there himself. Kaoru's maturing through a less-than-ideal family situation and supporting herself, so she gets a Junichi who is manning up and taking his first steps towards being an adult. Sae is a moe-blob, so she got a Junichi who is as likely to motorboat her as he is to talk to her.

I suspect that the remaining girls will get the same treatment.
If you've read Tsukasa's arc you wouldn't be saying that...
Old 2010-09-24, 16:19   Link #26
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
If you've read Tsukasa's arc you wouldn't be saying that...
No, I also agree that Junichi's personality changes depending on the girl. The only things that are set in stone are that Junichi is perverted, has two friends (Umehara and Kaoru), a little sister (Miya), and is afraid of being abandoned again at Christmas.

For Ayatsuji, who is a leader who has to learn to tolerate everything, Junichi becomes a loyal follower that learns to take everything Ayatsuji throws at him.

For Ai who is the responsible pillar of support for both the school's swimming team and her little brother at home, Junichi becomes her emotional pillar of support.
Old 2010-09-25, 04:56   Link #27
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
I'll concede the part about being able to talk to girls, but let's break the other two points down.

Emo - He's still obsessing over being stood up on a date two years ago. He turned his closet into a second bedroom/planetarium for himself that he crawls into to hide, which he did in the very first episode of the series. Pretty textbook emo behavior.

Bumbling idiot - Seriously, are you guys watching the same series? In Haruka's arc and Sae's arc he was a consummate tool. His initial interactions with Ai were due to him being fairly foolish as well.

All this said, Junichi does redeem himself (usually) towards the end of the story arcs and mans up decently well. But claiming he's not emo or a bumbling idiot is a gross mis-characterization.
He WAS emo, but have we seen him moping or depressed after episode 1? No, he took his courage and confessed twice to a school idol.

Keitaro Urashima(Love Hina), Ichitaka Seto (I''s), Hachibe Maeda(Ai Kora) are perfect examples of a bumbling idiot. They usually have "accidents" that ruin their chances of getting a girl and are often misunderstood. Junichi on the other hand creates scenarios favorable to him(haruka roleplay, sae's tutoring etc.)...

Last edited by grandchaosSR; 2010-09-25 at 05:23.
Old 2010-09-25, 05:48   Link #28
Dr. Casey

Junichi rules
Old 2010-10-10, 03:13   Link #29
JokerD

Not sure if this has been stated somewhere else but has his backstory of being rejected 2 years ago been covered?
Old 2010-10-10, 18:45   Link #30
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Not sure if this has been stated somewhere else but has his backstory of being rejected 2 years ago been covered?
No it hasnt, were still in the dark on it
Old 2010-10-10, 21:36   Link #31
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Do they even reveal the details of that in the game?

Quote:
He's still obsessing over being stood up on a date two years ago. He turned his closet into a second bedroom/planetarium for himself that he crawls into to hide, which he did in the very first episode of the series. Pretty textbook emo behavior.
They say that love is giving someone the power to hurt us the deepest. He never expected to get rejected like that, especially after she said yes to the date in the first place. He's just afraid of getting hurt again.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
Old 2010-10-11, 17:48   Link #32
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtrooper42 View Post
They say that love is giving someone the power to hurt us the deepest. He never expected to get rejected like that, especially after she said yes to the date in the first place. He's just afraid of getting hurt again.
Yeah, the first episode was very detailed about Junichi being scared to ask Haruka the confession he made, but on the other arcs... He just seems to be perfectly fine with it... He's like some pimp now...
Old 2010-10-11, 23:27   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm fairly disappointed they keep *re-inventing* Junichi's personality for the different arcs. He really isn't the same guy even from the beginning of each arc. What I was hoping for is to watch the "same guy" evolve to a different Junichi in response to the changes in events and moments of fate that have him ending up with such different sorts of females. Ah well... too much expectation from disposable entertainment.
Old 2010-10-12, 03:15   Link #34
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Yeah, the first episode was very detailed about Junichi being scared to ask Haruka the confession he made, but on the other arcs... He just seems to be perfectly fine with it... He's like some pimp now...
I wouldn't go as far as to say he's fine with it, just that it doesn't play a huge part of the story compared to the time in Haruka's arc. I mean do people want Jun acting the exact same in every arc due to what happened two years ago? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm fairly disappointed they keep *re-inventing* Junichi's personality for the different arcs. He really isn't the same guy even from the beginning of each arc. What I was hoping for is to watch the "same guy" evolve to a different Junichi in response to the changes in events and moments of fate that have him ending up with such different sorts of females. Ah well... too much expectation from disposable entertainment.
If it was the same Jun in every arc who was effected by what happened two years ago, we'd have a lot of people complaining. I'm guessing that's why we see a few changes. Personally i don't think they're big enough changes, i mean he's still the same old Jun in each arc.
Old 2010-10-12, 08:19   Link #35
Shadow5YA

At least he acknowledged his idiocy and apologized to Ai for it. The manga played it off as a joke and Junichi stayed hidden out of embarrassment.
Old 2010-10-12, 08:29   Link #36
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say he's fine with it, just that it doesn't play a huge part of the story compared to the time in Haruka's arc. I mean do people want Jun acting the exact same in every arc due to what happened two years ago? I don't think so.

If it was the same Jun in every arc who was effected by what happened two years ago, we'd have a lot of people complaining. I'm guessing that's why we see a few changes. Personally i don't think they're big enough changes, i mean he's still the same old Jun in each arc.
Agreed, because seeing Junichi being a perpetually depressed every four episodes would get on people's nerves. A lot of people didn't like him in the beginning of Haruka's arc, so I can bet that it would be annoying to see him like that over and over.

Besides, Junichi's background wasn't that detailed anyway. He's been stood up, and he still dwells on it for two years. However, the girl's name, appearance, or personality was never revealed. That makes it hard to believe that he ever really loved this girl when he only thinks about being stood up that one day, and not how good he had it with her, or why Junichi loved this girl enough to where it would hurt when he lost her. I just can't see this premise being seriously important to the story, other than "hey, this is Junichi's second chance! How will he take it?"
Old 2010-10-12, 18:30   Link #37
justavisitor

I like Junichi the most in Haruka's arc...imo, this is about the only arc that he feels he wants to chase the girl that he likes...in other arc he is like "Wow, a pretty girl is getting closer and closer to me, and perhaps I actually like her as well??"

Just a feeling, that's all XD I am not bashing the anime lol as I really like this anime..it's just that sometimes I get this feeling from our main hero...
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-10-12, 19:15   Link #38
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
I like Junichi the most in Haruka's arc...imo, this is about the only arc that he feels he wants to chase the girl that he likes...in other arc he is like "Wow, a pretty girl is getting closer and closer to me, and perhaps I actually like her as well??"
Thats the thought that crossed my head when the other arcs came in
Old 2010-10-13, 08:03   Link #39
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post

Just a feeling, that's all XD I am not bashing the anime lol as I really like this anime..it's just that sometimes I get this feeling from our main hero...
I agree 100% with what you said. Most people don't realize that Junichi worked hard in order to make a feasible relationship with Haruka. Junichi gets bashed for acting like a puppy or roleplaying but if you think about it he is just "going with the flow" with Haruka whims and quirkiness. And his "foolishness" was able to make Haruka notice him, later made her fell in love with him and finally they get married. Junichi was also very decisive in that arc. When Haruka let her guard down a little bit, Junichi acted quickly so that he can create favorable situations.

Junichi in other arcs have a much easier time. He doesn't even have to do much because the girl liked him first.
Old 2010-10-13, 11:57   Link #40
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandchaosSR View Post
I agree 100% with what you said. Most people don't realize that Junichi worked hard in order to make a feasible relationship with Haruka. Junichi gets bashed for acting like a puppy or roleplaying but if you think about it he is just "going with the flow" with Haruka whims and quirkiness. And his "foolishness" was able to make Haruka notice him, later made her fell in love with him and finally they get married. Junichi was also very decisive in that arc. When Haruka let her guard down a little bit, Junichi acted quickly so that he can create favorable situations.

Junichi in other arcs have a much easier time. He doesn't even have to do much because the girl liked him first.
Or people do realize that Junichi worked hard to get closer to Haruka, but they may like the other girls more because it's feels more natural to them.
Closed Thread