Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-06, 00:02   Link #14681
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
This thread has become my official blog thread, lol.

Anyway, another update. As far as getting the polls and nominations, not only am I getting some help from todkapuz in learning how to write scripts, but there have been some people over at a programming forum that has been tutoring me into writing a good script in order to make the data secure.

If you notice over in the news blog, however, it states that I'm not confident enough that I can get nominations by the deadline. At the rate I am learning CGI, it may be possible that I can get nominations done myself. However, the request still stands, as I may need somebody experienced in CGI programming to help me run this tournament.

I look to be in good shape so far. I've left a poll template over at todkapuz's server, and I will be using that template for all the polls. Compared to what I've been doing over at the website, it looks kind of basic, but that's just me being a techie. I will not release the test poll to the public - more or less if I'm confident that a poll / nomination form is ready to go, I will call on a handful of people to test out the forms. Once I'm confident that the data is secure, the forms will be released to the public.

Speaking of which, I see there haven't been many hits to the website as there used to. That's expected, since I haven't really gotten anything going there, and the only things visitors should be checking for is updates, which I haven't really stated in the news section. I guess I want to start the incoming with the nominations, and hope that more people will come once the nomination form is released.

Speaking of releases, Shana's and Haruhi's profile is released. You should find that within the profiles are contestant's individual schedules, and some back-to-back dates seem really interesting. I guess I should tell you now that there probably won't be anybody who would be going undefeated.

If you want to take a look around, look for interesting stories, feel free.

Oh, one more thing. I don't know if I should leave a forum board for the International Saimoe League. I guess I might need it, but I want to know what you think about me putting one up there.
Old 2008-01-08, 06:24   Link #14682
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

This could possibly be my second to last post on this thread.

I got an e-mail from my college professor, who also happens to be head of the Computer Engineering department, and he gave me a link to an already complete poll script along with a detailed document of what each function does. Looks like PERL is all set to go. Once I clear a few things, I will start picking out a handful of people I trust to help test the test poll and the nomination forms. When we're all set, I will start a new thread on this forum.

Speaking of which, I will also be making a forum for the International Saimoe League Website. Every moe tournament has to have one, duh. This means, however, that with my completion of Hinagiku's profile, I will hold off doing character profiles at the moment.

Once I get a good understanding of how the nominations work, I will start writing the rules page.

If you noticed on the contestants page, the avatar's that I have provided - not really good, but a little blurry. The good news is that alphastickmania, a guy I met over at the Static Subs forums, has come on board the staff as my graphics designer. He's helping fix the blurry pictures and is also working on a way to make my schedule more presentable.

Nonetheless, I am still looking for help to run this tournament. I don't expect to count 2000 votes per day when I'm still in college. In fact, the last week of the tournament, including the Shana vs. Suiseiseki and Fate vs. Nanoha doubleheader to end the season, is on the week of finals, so I hope to get some staff participation involved.

I will be making a new thread once nominations are ready. That new thread will encompass ALL 2008 Saimoe tournaments, to save space.
Old 2008-01-08, 07:47   Link #14683
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Do link the new thread once it's made, as well as the new forum once you make it. Hmm, all 2008 Saimoe contests in one thread... might be pushing it. Even with regular Saimoe we've split it into two for Prelims and Main. Having only 1 thread means it gets unwieldly to maintain and read.

Gratz on finding a completed script & full documentation (that latter point is big - darn hard to find good documentation on code sometimes) for Polling.

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2008-01-11, 00:22   Link #14684
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Okay, buddies... I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news: My test poll actually worked, and I can access the data sent by the polls, including IP addresses. With it, I can copy the data into the excel file and tabulate the results. The nomination page that I will make should work exactly the same way. As I had stated earlier, once I write the nomination page and test it, and it works to my approval, I will call on a handful of people to also test both the test poll and the nominations page. If it works to my liking, nominations will begin Saturday night.

The bad news: todkapuz has told me that he's allotted 10 GB to the saimoearena.com page on his server. Since this is the first year International Saimoe League will be run, I'm not willing to take any chances. So unfortunately, I am forced to resort to a Zetaboard forum. I am looking through it, and even though it looks good, 1) I can't seem to remove the ads even with paying, 2) I can't change the domain name as much as I like, and 3)... meh, you get the picture. I'm working on organizing the forum board right now. The same people I will ask to test the poll and nomination forms will also be asked to visit the board first and give general impressions on it, since Zetaboard as a whole is new to the internet.

But the better good news: International Saimoe League will be officially starting. Hopefully, it will be very successful.

Once all the configuring is at ease, I will be able to go back and do the character profiles, or as much of it as I can.
Old 2008-01-12, 09:04   Link #14685
alphastickmania
Stick Figure

Hello. For forums, wanna try wordpress? Ok. I know that was probably a lousy suggestion. If you search harder, I am sure you will find a better forum hosting site.

Edit : No one knows who I am, right? Go figure. Anyway, can we have a listing of who are the people all working on this? Like the nicks.
E.g. minhtam2448, etc.

Last edited by alphastickmania; 2008-01-12 at 09:09. Reason: I wanted to add more all of a sudden.
Old 2008-01-12, 12:41   Link #14686
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphastickmania View Post
Hello. For forums, wanna try wordpress? Ok. I know that was probably a lousy suggestion. If you search harder, I am sure you will find a better forum hosting site.

Edit : No one knows who I am, right? Go figure. Anyway, can we have a listing of who are the people all working on this? Like the nicks.
E.g. minhtam2448, etc.
Actually, I found a LOT of better hosting sites. However, those forums that came with, I would have to install it into a server, and the Saimoe Arena server is only allowed 10 GB. Compared to a forum board's need of 600 GB due to largely increasing bandwidth, I just can't take that chance. It was either Zetaboards (invisionfree's successor), Proboards (which is MUCH worse), or spending 500 bucks on an upheld server for 5 years. And I've already spent $100 on the website domain.

So far, it's just you and me, with todkapuz as the server host. I've also asked some people I know on here that have been affiliated with the Saimoe tournaments to test out the pages as well.
Old 2008-01-13, 01:02   Link #14687
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
. And I've already spent $100 on the website domain.
IF your paying more than $10 to $15 per year for a domain name, something is wrong. Unless you had to buy it off of someone else.
Old 2008-01-13, 07:46   Link #14688
cleo

Wohow, Mintham, you've been real busy!
Very nice, an international Saimoe.
Can I spread the word on other forums?
Old 2008-01-13, 09:06   Link #14689
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
Wohow, Mintham, you've been real busy!
Very nice, an international Saimoe.
Can I spread the word on other forums?
I may need that. Thanks.
Old 2008-01-13, 11:43   Link #14690
alphastickmania
Stick Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
I may need that. Thanks.
I think this competition will need it. Spread the message!!!

Ok, here are the picture links for minhtam2448 only. This is related to error reporting. Not some link to a H/ecchi picture. In short, if you are not minhtam2448, don't click them.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...enshot1gif.gif

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...enshot2gif.gif

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...enshot3gif.gif

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...enshot4gif.gif

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...enshot5gif.gif

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...enshot6gif.gif

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...enshot7gif.gif

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...enshot8gif.gif

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...enshot9gif.gif

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...nshot10gif.gif

Fine, if you did click on the links, it means you are interested in this or concerned about the site. If not, you are checking if they are related to H/ecchi pictures or not. (No, they are not.)
Old 2008-01-13, 14:42   Link #14691
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Well... I see Klashikari is on now... don't know if he got my message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphastickmania View Post
I think this competition will need it. Spread the message!!!

Ok, here are the picture links for minhtam2448 only. This is related to error reporting. Not some link to a H/ecchi picture. In short, if you are not minhtam2448, don't click them.

Fine, if you did click on the links, it means you are interested in this or concerned about the site. If not, you are checking if they are related to H/ecchi pictures or not. (No, they are not.)
alphastickmania, what browser are you using? It might not have picked up the updates for some pages. The contact.html form is now broken, replaced with forum-contact. It may be your browser having trouble picking up the updates...
Old 2008-01-13, 14:57   Link #14692
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Since the preparations of Saimoe League 2008 are done, the purpose of this thread is then moot. As you might expect, a new Saimoe Tournament (japan and korea) thread will be created in the future, in due time.

Here is the link for the International Saimoe League 2008 - The Best of the Best thread. As usual, please have a look on the thread guidelines.