AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2016-02-08, 12:08   Link #1
xianxiaworld

Post The Portal of Wonderland (玄界之门) by Wang Yu (忘语) (wuxia/xianxia)

《The Portal of Wonderland》 is the third influential work of the writer Wang Yu, following his previous novels 《A Record of a Mortal’s Journey to Immortality》 and 《Mo Tian Ji》. 《A Record of a Mortal’s Journey to Immortality》 tells about the world of god and 《Mo Tian Ji》 presents the world of demon. This time we recommend the latest 《The Portal of Wonderland》 which centers around the world of human.

Synopsis by xianxiaworld:Shi Mu, the hero of this book, is born in a fishing village. As a child, his father disappeared and his mother died, so he had to rely on himself thereafter. With indomitable will, he gained the help of Xiang Zhu by coincidence, hence began his journey to be the strongest warrior ever in the world.

Official Description:A wonder falling down from heaven! A boy possessed by strange blood! Gods tremble! Demons flee! A boy from the land of Dong Zhou. A pink skull as his sworn friend until death. A story of a determined warrior struggling for power. A legend that shakes the galaxy and disturbs the worlds of god, demon and man.

Table of Contents

Raw Source

Spoiler for mc op?:

Last edited by xianxiaworld; 2016-02-11 at 13:35.
xianxiaworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-08, 13:43   Link #2
Muryai
Procrastinating Demi-God

Answer the obligatory questions
Old 2016-02-08, 15:04   Link #3
SamVision

Harem and/or OP and/or sex?
SamVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-08, 16:19   Link #4
cadu_

Why cant people answer the FAQ? Admins should make them forum rules.
Old 2016-02-10, 11:49   Link #5
elroid

this novel just started so those questions cant really be answered for now. I've read the author's previous novel, it was interesting at first but overall it isnt very good...

in previous novel, the author always let the mc get dragged into dimensional rift incidents and goes to different continent or worlds during certain point of bigger arcs, then mc will only returns back to these places few hundred of chapters later when he is too overpowered compared to the enemies in the current incident and then solves them easily... it repeats like 4~6 times... the romance writing were pretty much a failure too with same reason. I hope the author wont have same problem in this novel
elroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 12:24   Link #6
Yoburi

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroid View Post
this novel just started so those questions cant really be answered for now. I've read the author's previous novel, it was interesting at first but overall it isnt very good...

in previous novel, the author always let the mc get dragged into dimensional rift incidents and goes to different continent or worlds during certain point of bigger arcs, then mc will only returns back to these places few hundred of chapters later when he is too overpowered compared to the enemies in the current incident and then solves them easily... it repeats like 4~6 times... the romance writing were pretty much a failure too with same reason. I hope the author wont have same problem in this novel
Oh romance is so hard to write in Xianxia because there are too many assholes and biches but when well executed it can be pretty sweat.

BTW too bad mother is dead and father is missing plot i like MC with parents even more if his mother is a expert but if they go missing the autor needs to put a damn good excuse and normaly these excuses are bad.
Yoburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-11, 19:13   Link #7
elroid

In the previous novel the mc were separated with the girls and only got back together during around last 20 chapters. 2 girls that he had accidental snusnu with didn't end up together with him either because they choose their role as clan leaders over mc.
Old 2016-02-11, 19:34   Link #8
itisjustme

^Do you mean Mo Tian Ji/demon diary? Would you mind spoiling about the girls?
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-19, 16:42   Link #9
AKIKAN
Some Member

I'm not optimistic about this novel. Shi Mu is very boring compared to Han Li from ROMJTI and Liu Ming from DD. Especially how he fell in love at first sight with a girl and promise to marry her way too early. Seeing the trend in DD with Liu Ming only married 2 wives he met very early in the story, any female characters he will meet later in this story won't have a chance and will be forgotten soon.

Seriously, why is it that Xianxia with reasonable protagonists or likable plots are terrible with romance where they'll only choose the most boring girl? I dropped SOTR becuase of how terrible its romance is. My favorite series like ISSTH and World of Cultivation has negligable romantic plots with the ONE end girl being there for the sake of being the MC's love interest.

I loathe Yun Che, Lin Feng and Chu Yang more than any xinaxia MCs because they're hypocrites and self-righteous mass-murdering scums, yet the romance is written way better than any of my favorite xianxia novels so far. Too bad I dropped the series because I can't stand their self-righteous ways to kill their enemies (and they love finding troubles) and their hypocrisy. Considering that these scums are all reincarnated people, I now have prejudice against reincarnated characters.

Spoiler for about the girls in DD:

Last edited by AKIKAN; 2016-04-19 at 17:55. Reason: More information
AKIKAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-20, 06:33   Link #10
arthand

Oh i didnt know author of TPoW was DD author too and i got to say DD is really good for now for me at least, about romance in xiantias i can say i dont really care much but ofcouse it would be cool once main character had partner who lvls up with him. Too bad most xiantia main characters are too OP or greedy also mostly antisocial people.

I really have high hopes about TPoW and for now its going pretty good though chapters are a little too short and sometimes just going a place takes up a chapter needlesly.
arthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-20, 11:44   Link #11
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianxiaworld View Post

Spoiler for mc op?:
Actually the MC feels waaaaaay more OP than Liu Ming of DD, as it appears that he has some ridiculously high talent.

OTOH, I like the writer changing his formula a bit, so that's nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroid View Post
In the previous novel the mc were separated with the girls and only got back together during around last 20 chapters. 2 girls that he had accidental snusnu with didn't end up together with him either because they choose their role as clan leaders over mc.
...Isn't that good? Also, pretty sure he never had accidental SnuSnu with anyone in DD, at least in the first 1000 chapters, and there is only 1500.

EDIT: From seeing the spoilers, you are saying he had accidental sex with Fox girl? But didn't he resist the aphrodisiac and they didn't do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIKAN View Post
I'm not optimistic about this novel. Shi Mu is very boring compared to Han Li from ROMJTI and Liu Ming from DD. Especially how he fell in love at first sight with a girl and promise to marry her way too early. Seeing the trend in DD with Liu Ming only married 2 wives he met very early in the story, any female characters he will meet later in this story won't have a chance and will be forgotten soon.
That's, like, one of the best thing about Demon Diary though.... Like, you meet people you have feeling for, but that doesn't mean anything will stay and life happens. That's good.

Also I love how Shi Mu proposed at first sight. That's something we very, very rarely see.

EDIT:

Also, yeah, it was pretty obvious that Liu Ming had a deep thing for both Jia Lan and Ye Tian Mei from the start, and they only got bigger. And yeah, Sword Saint Body girl could have had a thing, but life happened.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-20, 11:57   Link #12
arthand

I really like how main character is not so hax in DD but he is a person who can use things effectively ,i also like how he doesnt go after legendary things while he is weaker unlike some other xiantia prognaists. DD is my favorite novel right now and i really wonder what does that scorpion evolve into .
arthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-20, 12:15   Link #13
sasoras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
EDIT: From seeing the spoilers, you are saying he had accidental sex with Fox girl? But didn't he resist the aphrodisiac and they didn't do it?
How was that accidental it was more accurate to call it reverse rape, since fox girl completely dominated him and prevented him from resisting her charm, even though she wasn't of sound mind.

He resisted once(I thought that would be the end), but ended up being overwhelmed by her in the end. The incident made him more open to his Fiance.
Old 2016-04-20, 12:49   Link #14
elroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIKAN View Post
[/SPOILER]
idk, for now to me Shi Mu is a bit better than Liu Ming since at least he actively try to chase after the girl. Liu Ming romance are mostly developed from the awkward situations and didnt really try to advance much either. and most of them progressed only because of those awkwardness then with a 'might as well get to next step' kind of feeling. (Jia Lan because of no one tried to end the pretend couple relationship, Ye Tian Mei because of the heated moment that almost became accidental sex too.) Like the major arc bosses, the love interests also ended up being leftout by the story for most of time until Liu Ming power levels from many dimension rifts and just comes back to pick them up only...

That said, one thing I enjoyed in MTJ/DD is that
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasoras View Post
How was that accidental it was more accurate to call it reverse rape, since fox girl completely dominated him and prevented him from resisting her charm, even though she wasn't of sound mind.

He resisted once(I thought that would be the end), but ended up being overwhelmed by her in the end. The incident made him more open to his Fiance.
Still considered as accidental rape I think. Just that the male and female role were reversed.

I hope this current novel dont try to involve too many dimension rift accidents like MTJ does. the title got me really worried. Seriously, just let Shi Mu continue being a Saiyan Ape and crush all his current enemies immediately instead of leave them for very long time and then come back sweeping them out like some leftover quests in games
Old 2016-04-20, 15:22   Link #15
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasoras View Post

Weird, I was pretty sure he resisted. Maybe it happens again later.

Yeah, I really like how the author has characters acting logically and the MC not being insanely arrogant and thinking he can get away with attacking people way stronger than he is.

Another thing is, not onyl is it not"One thing the MC has makes him OP forever", but more "tonnes of little things give him advantages but he has tonnes of disadvantages too", but there is a very nice tone where basically lots of characters are shown to be protagonists in their own rights, it's just that a lot of them 'slow down' later or stop being super lucky at one point.

It shouldn't feel like a high bar, but reading a Xanxia where not just the MC has agency and matters is great.
Old 2016-04-27, 11:54   Link #16
AKIKAN
Some Member

RMJI is similar to Xian Ni. I really hate most of the women the MC encountered in RMJI. Most of them ended up being saved by the MC, they only cared about him when they were in dire situations. I started to appreciate Wang Lin's heartlessness now seeing RMJI.

Being rouge cultivators like Han Li and Wang Lin sucks so hard. You can't trust anyone, without background everyone is plotting against you and would try to kill and loot your stuffs if they find you vulnerable. I can't understand why Han Li is so soft-hearted to some girls though, I'd get rid of them if they'd pose threat to me especially things concerned my secret treasure or my whereabout when I was being hunted down by more powerful guys. This Han Li pissed me off so much when he seemed to be so kind for those bitches from Mo's family and even took revenge for them when I'd have killed them all for their trying to blackmailed me and even making more demands like I owe them my life. I usually enjoy reading RMJI when it's not about some women.

DD is about demon world like Beseech the Devil. DD isn't as depressing as BtD though. At least the MC got 2 wives and many other love interests (even if they aren't together). Su Ming doesn't seem to end up with any.

TPOW should be based on luck like ISSTH. The MC doesn't have godly artifact like Han Li and Wang Lin (both who have poor qualification to cultivate and have to rely on their bottle/bead to aid their cultivation). It's still relatively new so I won't talk about it until it reach 500+ chapters.
Old 2016-05-01, 18:14   Link #17
Arkeus

I'm really having a lot of fun with Portal of Wonderland, but it's a struggle not to switch to the MT. I know that I'll end up regretting it if I do, especially as the translation is not that far behind and if it gets faster it can actually catch up, but the temptation is strong.
Old 2016-05-02, 02:21   Link #18
AKIKAN
Some Member

Quote:
I'm really having a lot of fun with Portal of Wonderland, but it's a struggle not to switch to the MT. I know that I'll end up regretting it if I do, especially as the translation is not that far behind and if it gets faster it can actually catch up, but the temptation is strong.
Don't expect the translation to catch up with the RAW. The translation is at best released 1 ch/day while the RAW is 2-3 ch/day.
Old 2016-07-21, 05:27   Link #19
Arkeus

Well, I finally bit the bullet and read the RAWs.

It really got into a very nice groove. Much faster paced than Demon Diary, and while sometimes a bit too much so, it really works for me.

I'm also really liking that we have a Friend/Enemy/Archvillain rolled into one, those kind of characters are strangely very rare in Xanxia, so seeing Liu An is really fun.

While the author has always been quite good at making the various love interest/flirts be somewhat revelant in Demon Diary, it seems Portal of Wonderland gives the women a whole lot of quasi-agency, and I really like Ximen Xue/ Zhong Xiu, and Jin Xiaochai or Leng Yuetong are also quite a lot of fun.
Old 2016-07-21, 13:45   Link #20
AKIKAN
Some Member

Quote:
Well, I finally bit the bullet and read the RAWs.

It really got into a very nice groove. Much faster paced than Demon Diary, and while sometimes a bit too much so, it really works for me.

I'm also really liking that we have a Friend/Enemy/Archvillain rolled into one, those kind of characters are strangely very rare in Xanxia, so seeing Liu An is really fun.

While the author has always been quite good at making the various love interest/flirts be somewhat revelant in Demon Diary, it seems Portal of Wonderland gives the women a whole lot of quasi-agency, and I really like Ximen Xue/ Zhong Xiu, and Jin Xiaochai or Leng Yuetong are also quite a lot of fun.
I like Liu An as the villain/antagonist/rival and as Shi Mu's uneasy friend too. His insidious methods and how Ming Yue Sect operates in general suck though. You can't trust them at all since they're fanatics with chronic backstabbing disorder.

I really like Zhong Xiu. A real heroine should just risks everything for the guy like most heroes are required to do. Too bad she got kidnapped, although I bet everyone already expected that since the plot would move harder with how the author is used for writing lone cultivator protagonist.

I dislike Ximen Xue though. She valued her sect and her ascension to immortal realm than Shi Mu and while it's realistic, I hoped she wouldn't become the main heroine. I just want Shi Mu to forget his stupid vows on their first encounter.

I have complex feeling about Jin Xiouchai. What's her motive anyway.

I have no idea what's in Leng Yuetong's mind. She seems like a possible love interest since she said that she's interested in the MC, but her actions are suspicious.

I hope Luo Yan would become a love interest.

I completely forgot about the first girl. I hope we'll see her again.