AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-04-25, 13:49   Link #3661
eshazear

The maybe-not-so-quick silly, legal question :)

Hey everyone,

A quick & silly (or maybe not so quick ) question about legality and ethics:

After some serious searching on the forums I found a variety of info on the subject but not quite what I was specifically looking for.
The most useful post (including links) was probably ato's post : http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...light=legality

However, the referenced docs are extremely lengthy with lots of complicated and irrelevant material. Could someone who knows where this has been discussed and concisely presented for easy reference please point me in the right direction?

---

The Details:
Many Anime fans no doubt have no issues with watching anime regardless of the circumstances. However, after many questions and debates with friends I am still left without the concrete finer details of the truth.

I understand that AnimeSuki and most of its users are in America, and thus some of my circumstances may be irrelevant. Hopefully someone could still give some advice on how the same would apply in my country though.

This may sound strange but, basically I want to know whether it is right or wrong to watch anime which I have not specifically purchased. Now that is a massively loaded question (i.e. depends on *many* circumstances.... licensing, etc, etc).

Please let me present an example. I pay for a monthy Digital Television license, whose package contains (amongst many other channels) a channel dedicated to anime. Now, I believe those shows must have been licensed (within my country) so that they can be aired here. Since I am paying to watch that anime channel - I believe I have the full legal (and ethical) right to watch anything that has been aired on that channel while I am a paying subscriber.

But what about unlicensed anime - or specifically, anime that my country does not make available? Is it ok (legally) correct for me to watch anime if it is not available in my country (i.e. by downloading)..
I have already purchased anime box sets (and mangas) of my favourites in order to show my support, but I find it quite unreasonable (and really not the intention) that every anime fan out there has to buy a hard copy of every anime they ever want to watch...

As mentioned this is such a broad topic, but I have to get started somewhere. Advice would be much appreciated thanks!

----------
UPDATE : Moved to separate topic : http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=93356
----------

Last edited by eshazear; 2010-04-26 at 01:47. Reason: New forum topic
eshazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 14:58   Link #3662
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^If your country is a signatory of the Berne Convention, which sets international standards for copyright -- which most countries are, including Japan -- then it's plainly illegal. There is no "gray area." You watch what you buy, otherwise you're breaking copyright*. Though some might argue that there are different levels of "guilt" even legally, it does come down to "we're all guilty."

*Lending DVDs to friends or something like that is more complicated. Most people say "what the hell of course it's legal!" and I'm with most people. But overly zealous copyright practitioners have been trying to dislodge that idea for years.

In practice, with some odious exceptions, companies don't really have the time or resource to persecute you for partaking in their product when they don't even have a market presence in your area. And of course ethical concerns are more complicated, and "licensed" vs. "unlicensed" is a part of that ethical debate.

It's up to you to decide whether what you're doing is ethically wrong or not. Or not decide at all and just say, don't worry, be happy.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 19:04   Link #3663
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Random, silly, and odd question here that I am simply curious about. Does if anyone know generally if the full, or T.V. versions is composed first for anime themes?

Not really expecting to much of answer on this, just wondering if it means they have to work to extend, or compress the song.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 21:44   Link #3664
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Random, silly, and odd question here that I am simply curious about. Does if anyone know generally if the full, or T.V. versions is composed first for anime themes?

Not really expecting to much of answer on this, just wondering if it means they have to work to extend, or compress the song.
I'm pretty sure that producers have a whole song made, then edit it to be a minute and a half or so for opening sequences. That's why sometimes the short version is called TV Size (Engrish for TV Sized Edit), or maybe Short Ver.

Why is it that Japanese songs usually don't rhyme? The language is really easy to rhyme in too.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-04-25 at 22:37.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 02:02   Link #3665
eshazear

Thanks for the info Irenicus.

After some more consideration I moved the discussion to a new topic anyway : http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=93356 (in case you would like to re-post your response there)

You have a point about all anime being 'illegal' as a generalization - but there there are many exceptions. Some anime really are free to watch... but obviously they are only a small subset - so we can't say *everything* is illegal - because other cases and circumstances do exist.

A widespread view of things. 'we can't possibly be legal, because everything is illegal - unless you purchase everything - and heck, we definitely are not going to purchase everything'.
The idea about you deciding is exactly what I want to avoid though - In my opinion the ethical decision should be based on whether I am consciously *doing* right or wrong - and not deciding whether something is *right or wrong*.
eshazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 06:20   Link #3666
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshazear View Post
Thanks for the info Irenicus.

After some more consideration I moved the discussion to a new topic anyway : http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=93356 (in case you would like to re-post your response there)

You have a point about all anime being 'illegal' as a generalization - but there there are many exceptions. Some anime really are free to watch... but obviously they are only a small subset - so we can't say *everything* is illegal - because other cases and circumstances do exist.

A widespread view of things. 'we can't possibly be legal, because everything is illegal - unless you purchase everything - and heck, we definitely are not going to purchase everything'.
The idea about you deciding is exactly what I want to avoid though - In my opinion the ethical decision should be based on whether I am consciously *doing* right or wrong - and not deciding whether something is *right or wrong*.
There is this golden rule of : do anything you want, but don't get caught.

Ever tried PeerGuardian?

QUESTION : What kind of parallelism fault is there in this sentences?

Mr Jansen is a caring teacher, a wise mentor and friend.

From what I know, the reconstruction is to suit the needs of the less literate reader, who cannot comprehend stylistic writing and has problems with iteration like anaphoras (pun unintended) will be :

Mr Jansen is a caring, friendly and wise mentor who teaches.

or

Mr Jansen is a caring, friendly and wise teacher who mentors.

and both sentences are nowhere as parellellistic the original. Of course there is the extreme reduction :

Mr Jansen is a caring, friendly and wise teacher/mentor.

since generally teachers mentor and mentors teach, but logically a teacher does not need to mentor, but the mentor does not teach, and rather, advices.

Is there anyway to reconstruct this sentence to retain the most logical and full meaning?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-04-27 at 08:52.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 08:09   Link #3667
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about:

Mr Jansen is a caring teacher, a wise mentor, and friend.

To me the problem is the use of "as" in the original since it destroys the parallelism. The use of the second comma is optional, but I'd keep it in this case, again to preserve parallelism.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 08:51   Link #3668
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
How about:

Mr Jansen is a caring teacher, a wise mentor, and friend.

To me the problem is the use of "as" in the original since it destroys the parallelism. The use of the second comma is optional, but I'd keep it in this case, again to preserve parallelism.
Sorry for the typo, but it is originally that way.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-04-27, 20:11   Link #3669
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
A particularly nasty.... question.

How many arteries are their in a human body? And can you cut them all before that person completely expires?

~Don't worry, it's just information I want. just in case
For practicality's sake it pretty much can't be counted since the entire cardiovascular system is one closed continuum, with some major arteries changing names when they reach certain anatomical areas.

And no you're not likely to be able to cut all major muscular arteries before the person dies unless you cut the aortic root last, and even then a person is likely to lose 40%-60% of his blood volume which is the usual range for a person to die of exsanguination.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 10:55   Link #3670
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

What happens when you add Pi and Phi together?

Old 2010-05-02, 11:38   Link #3671
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
What happens when you add Pi and Phi together?
((1+(5^(1/2)))/2)+(C/d) = ϕπ , pronounced /ˈfapaɪ/, is a useful equation. Works best on circles with radii that are multiples of 50.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-05-02 at 20:28. Reason: unfixed
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 01:44   Link #3672
Solafighter
Hige

I actually asked that once, but i realy cant find my posts about it.

However, im using W7 with WMP 11.
I also got the newest CCCP pack.
There is this .mp4 video file. If i watch it with the Media Player Classic (HC), then i see the subs and can also switch them off.
If i run this file with the WMP 11, then i cant see any subs.
In the CCCP pack settings, i set "Autoload VSFilter (WMP & MCE support".
Still nothing. Can someone maybe help?
Thanks in advance.
Old 2010-05-04, 02:36   Link #3673
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Did you set, in WMP 11 under the menu play and then something about subtitles the option show if available?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 03:28   Link #3674
Solafighter
Hige

Yes i did. Still no subtitles.
Old 2010-05-04, 03:40   Link #3675
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Yes i did. Still no subtitles.
Try downloading Zoomplayer. Either that or the stuff you DL-ed is softsubbed that the media player refuses to read it.

Old 2010-05-04, 06:10   Link #3676
Solafighter
Hige

Funny thing, i asked this already once, but have trouble to find my post again.
I forgot, what i did back then, but it helped.
Old 2010-05-04, 09:05   Link #3677
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

is there a thread here that talks about the Cleverbot?

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 09:59   Link #3678
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
What is this Cleverbot you speak of?

No, there isn't a thread about it. Not from what I've seen Frailty. Went back afew pages to check for you, nothing about a Cleverbot. So I guess your clear?
It is an automatic response AI program, something like ALICE.

Nope, we don't have a thread here, since most of us are just contented with the moekkos, which are highly abundant, in this forum.

You can ask Vexx though, he probably worked on things like that during his tenure as an MIB in the 80s.

Old 2010-05-04, 11:16   Link #3679
Crisis
Rock on ^^

Solafighter,

In WMP, PLAY > LYRICS, CAPTIONS & SUBTITLES > ON

Otherwise, use the universally used player, VLC!

Cosplay at it's best Thread
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 16:37   Link #3680
Solafighter
Hige

I want to get it on WMP 11 running, cause on my laptop, its only running smooth on the WMP 11. On VLC and WMPC(H), it freezes often.

Strange~
Im sure, i fixed that problem, once before but i cant remember, how.

Any chance to change an option, to get more performance in these players?

Problem: Media file has FullHD 1920x1080 and the resolution of my laptop is 1280x800.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious