AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-31, 13:05   Link #1
Ronny

In the mood for a shounen

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a action type shounen like.. DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha.. that kind of stuff. Just hot-blooded-ness where you can turn your brain off and enjoy the action, comedy, characters, and a bit of the not-too-deep story.

I would of course like it to have some plot, as it should be interesting, plus I don't mind filler as long as the episodes are funny (I enjoyed Inuyasha's filler).

I haven't seen a shounen like this in ages (last was.. Inuyasha I think, or Gurren Lagann is similar in formula.. but I really mean the more martial arts/humans & demons only kind of show), and suddenly got in the mood for one.

Some points:
- I can't remember which I've seen, sorry lol, but DBZ and FMA (both of 'em) for sure. Samurai Champloo as well if that counts. Inuyasha only up until about ep 100, so if it's worth rewatching that plus the sequel/end then go ahead.
- Please no Bleach or Naruto recommendations, I want something that's already finished or I'll go crazy lol (plus.. over 200 episodes is a bit much, but I can live with it if really good).
- Don't recommend Kenshin either please, I first want to find out what the new anime will be like. If it's a remake, I'd rather watch that not knowing anything. If it's a continuation I'll pick up the old one.
- I admittedly have low patience, so if it's a series that takes a while to get going please let me know lol.
- Finally, if it's a series with numerous OVAs or movies, could you please list in what order it's best to watch, if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks to anyone helping out!
Old 2011-07-31, 14:03   Link #2
mrShady

Hunterxhunter, though it isn't finished yet. The anime has sort of concluded but that's only because the writer had some big hiatus here and there. It's still a terrific show and most arcs do stand alone.
Old 2011-07-31, 14:06   Link #3
Elegance

Yu Yu Hakusho
Old 2011-07-31, 14:46   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I'd suggest Needless; finished already and just what you're wanting.
MAL
Old 2011-07-31, 16:27   Link #5
Ziziphus
Whatever

I second Hunter x Hunter. It's one of the greatest shounen anime I've ever seen. The story wasn't complete yeah but the anime did stop at a nice point. (Be sure to check out all three OVAs series that follow the TV series.) Plus there's a new HxH series coming out this fall so it's a perfect time to catch up!

Will recommend more sometime tomorrow if I can think of something else.
Old 2011-07-31, 18:08   Link #6
Kerspunkle

I think you should try Sengoku Basara if you haven't already seen it. It's similar to Gurren Lagann in respect to hot-bloodedness. You might like History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi. I really think you'd like Ao no Exorcist if you can get past the fact that it's not done yet (by the time you watch some other suggestions it will be done though ). It's about the son of Satan trying to become an exorcist. You could try KHR, but a lot of people find this one slow to get into since it starts off pretty much pure comedy and the action starts later. Maybe you'd like something like Tales of the Abyss?
Old 2011-07-31, 18:56   Link #7
Ronny

Thanks for the recommendations and, please, do keep them coming.
For now I've decided to err.. "rent/buy" Hunter x Hunter and see what that's like. Yu Yu Hakusho will be in my mind as well.
Needless doesn't seem like my kind of show (it seems a bit too silly, like.. Excel Saga silly, feel free to tell me I'm wrong).
Sengoku Basara I didn't like based on only the first 2 eps of the first season. I've seen Tales of the Abyss. Ao no Exorcist I has already planned to watch once it's finished. I'll check out the other two.
Again, thanks!
Old 2011-07-31, 19:25   Link #8
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
Needless doesn't seem like my kind of show (it seems a bit too silly, like.. Excel Saga silly, feel free to tell me I'm wrong).
Eh it's silly at times, but it gets more action and less silly over time. I wouldn't really compared to Excel Saga since it actually has a plot.
MAL
Old 2011-08-02, 17:09   Link #9
Ronny

I put aside HxH for now (due to the new series being a remake after all, but I might watch it regardless), so started Yu Yu Hakusho instead.
I'm just wondering and hoping someone can answer me if this is going to follow a monster-of-the-week formula? If so, for how long?
Old 2011-08-02, 17:24   Link #10
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
I put aside HxH for now (due to the new series being a remake after all, but I might watch it regardless), so started Yu Yu Hakusho instead.
I'm just wondering and hoping someone can answer me if this is going to follow a monster-of-the-week formula? If so, for how long?
It does for a short while til the contest/tournament arc from him to receive training fairly early in the series, but it's been a rather long time since I watched it though so I don't remember exactly how long that takes to happen .
MAL
Old 2011-08-02, 17:27   Link #11
Ronny

Ah, that's a bit off putting so I hope it's not too long. Thanks for answering!
Old 2011-08-02, 23:15   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
It's my favorite shonen-fighter of alltime...Just stick with it because it starts of one way then changes to something else entirely...I think it employs one of the greatest surprises ever in a shonen-fighter deeper in the series...Just stick with it...
Old 2011-08-03, 08:24   Link #13
Ronny

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
It's my favorite shonen-fighter of alltime...Just stick with it because it starts of one way then changes to something else entirely...I think it employs one of the greatest surprises ever in a shonen-fighter deeper in the series...Just stick with it...
How long til that happens though? Am 9 eps in and still not liking it (although with a tournament starting now I'm hoping it'll turn out more be more fun)- I know it's a 100 episode series, but waiting 20 eps is crazy.
Old 2011-08-03, 21:55   Link #14
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
How long til that happens though? Am 9 eps in and still not liking it (although with a tournament starting now I'm hoping it'll turn out more be more fun)- I know it's a 100 episode series, but waiting 20 eps is crazy.
Seriously if you can't wait you don't deserve to enjoy it...Serious talk...

This anime is IMO one of the greatest experiences I ever had watching something...Right now it's setting up the rules...All the little intricate stuff about Yusuke's past, his current enemies, the meeting of new alliances, why he died, why he was allowed to comeback, why Koenma chose him...All of this stuff will have meaning later in the series...I know you probably just wanna see people get their heads bashed in..That's coming, in a non-stop way, but you gotta have patience and watch how things setup...

If you give up now you're gonna miss out on arguably the greatest villain in shonen history, but do what you feel...
Old 2011-08-07, 13:03   Link #15
BlckDia

Gintama I guess it's kinda cool
Old 2011-08-07, 15:21   Link #16
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlckDia View Post
Gintama I guess it's kinda cool
Uh... Gintama is far more of comedy than an action/Shounen; unlike Needless, I'd definitely compare to Excel Saga .
MAL
Old 2011-08-07, 16:58   Link #17
Ronny

YYH just wasn't for me. I guess I didn't deserve it lol.
I checked out Needless a bit more and think I might like it indeed, so I put it on my to-watch list but decided to just go ahead and catch up on Ao no Exorcist for now anyway, which I'm enjoying a lot so far.
Gintama was indeed not something I was looking for atm, but I do wanna watch it some time so it's not bad to get a reminder hehe.
Old 2011-08-07, 21:33   Link #18
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

s-CRY-ed is arguably one of the best and most underrated shounen anime series there is. You should definitely give it a try.

Also check out History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, which is also a really good shounen series with a blend of comedy, action and martial-arts.

Kaze no Stigma as well. It's a blend of action, comedy and romance. It's not as action-oriented as the two above, but I think it fits your criteria.
Old 2011-08-08, 00:40   Link #19
Seijaku Saiko
NOW I LOST IT

Nurarihyon no Mago or Katekyo Hitman Reborn! are worth mentioning. They're two best of some mainstream shounen i still follow at this point. Both have god tier artist and good humor. KHR is better at character and battle imo but it's getting boring recently.
Old 2011-08-08, 02:14   Link #20
kamehameha

Fairy Tail... good character development and story is very interesting