AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-26, 15:26   Link #1
Re-l

Searching for romance/dark/action/phsychological/supernatural.

I am searching for a new anime to watch since I love watching them and searching for new animes is getting harder and harder since I have already seen a bunch! I am looking for an anime that has romance (small amount, large amount, as long as it's there!) that has a dark, psychological, or supernatural aspect with some action.

I do like the anime to have excellent graphics, animation, etc. and I prefer newer anime to older ones however I am open to those too.

List of anime I don't want to be repeated below:

Spoiler for List:

*There is a lot more, just have to remember more.

Last edited by Re-l; 2012-06-15 at 21:11.
Old 2009-07-26, 15:40   Link #2
qwertyuiopz

ghost hunt
romeoxjuliet
school days
myself yourself
this ugly yet beautiful world
to aru majutsu no index
full metal panic (doesnt get dark until last season)
Old 2009-07-26, 15:57   Link #3
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
Umineko no Naku Koro ni I suggest, just for it being a personal favourite at the moment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umineko_no_Naku_Koro_ni

There's also a couple of popular ones also, such as Elfen Lied http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfen_Lied and Rosario+Vampire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosario_%2B_Vampire maybe look into those.

I'll give a mention of Tayutama -Kiss on my Deity-.

You'd enjoy The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruhi_Suzumiya
Old 2009-07-26, 16:04   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Seirei no Moribito (not much romance but a little, which meets your reqs). I'd also say Noein would be a good fit. Paranoia Agent has the dark, suspense and supernatural nailed - but there's no romance to speak of.
Old 2009-07-26, 16:22   Link #5
Re-l

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
ghost hunt
romeoxjuliet
school days
myself yourself
this ugly yet beautiful world
to aru majutsu no index
full metal panic (doesnt get dark until last season)
Heard a lot of good reviews and comments about Full Metal Panic so I think I will test it out...the other anime didn't seem to appeal to me. Oh and I forgot to post I already watched This Ugly Yet Beautiful World too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab View Post
Umineko no Naku Koro ni I suggest, just for it being a personal favourite at the moment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umineko_no_Naku_Koro_ni

There's also a couple of popular ones also, such as Elfen Lied http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfen_Lied and Rosario+Vampire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosario_%2B_Vampire maybe look into those.

I'll give a mention of Tayutama -Kiss on my Deity-.

You'd enjoy The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruhi_Suzumiya
I am liking Umineko no Naku Koro ni...googled it.

Oh forgot to post I have watched Elfen Lied already...any who I think Rosario+Vampire is a bit too 'cute', I enjoy more serious or mature characters. As for the other anime I think I am going to watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I remember watching I think the first episode but than I forgot I was watching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Seirei no Moribito (not much romance but a little, which meets your reqs). I'd also say Noein would be a good fit. Paranoia Agent has the dark, suspense and supernatural nailed - but there's no romance to speak of.
I have seen Seirei no Moribito on TV but I have never really watched it, just flipped through so I think I will try it out. As for Noein, it didn't appeal to me much and Paranoia Agent I have read a lot about so I think I could try it out too.
Old 2009-07-26, 16:47   Link #6
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
you haven't seen FMP D: go watch it!
also Witch hunter Robin is pretty dark
Blood+ series would probably fit as well, haven't seen it fully myself but what I saw was awesome (if you want the same thing with more gore go watch Blood: the last vampire, its a movie but the series and movie are stand alone, series was based on the movie)
xxxHOLIC has a nice supernatural aspect in it
Trinityblood will fit the dark aspect a bit more
Mai HiME gets darker near the end of the series
and although it is a standard recommendation by now: if you haven't seen Deathnote go watch that as well =)
Old 2009-07-26, 17:01   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think you might be a good candidate for Guin Saga. It has all of the features you requested, though I'm not sure how psychological a story it will turn out to be. Guin is probably as close as anime comes to an JRPG type of story; not surprising since the author of the series started in 1979, and it was a major influence on the generation of Japanese fantasy readers that later become game developers like Square. The score for this show is by Uematsu Nobuo, who composed most of the Final Fantasy scores as well.

If you want dark and psychological, there's nothing better than Monster. No romance though, and nothing supernatural.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-08-02 at 13:59.
Old 2009-07-26, 17:03   Link #8
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
Bakemonogatari and Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas might be worth a look at. Both newly made.
Old 2009-07-26, 17:13   Link #9
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

I Second Blood+
Old 2009-07-26, 17:23   Link #10
wkd

Quote:
Heard a lot of good reviews and comments about Full Metal Panic so I think I will test it out...
If you are willing to try FMP then I assume you don't mind mecha ... in that case I would recommend RahXephon. Its one of my favorite mecha series, its darker and more mysterious then FMP and it fits your requirments.

Also you might like Basilisk. Its basicly Romeo and Juliet in feudal Japan with ninjas that have supernatural powers. Pretty dark and violent. Also if you're gonna give it a try don't drop it after the first episode since its quite chaotic and doesn't include any of the main characters.
Old 2009-07-26, 17:34   Link #11
Re-l

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Anime I am going to watch:

Full Metal Panic
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Seirei no Moribito
Paranoia Agent
Guin Saga
Bakemonogatari
RahXephon

Oh and also I have already watched Blood+ and Basilisk, I just can't remember which ones I watch until I actually see the title.
Old 2009-07-26, 19:17   Link #12
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

Clannad is a simply captivating romance with two seasons. It has no action, but there is a "supernatural" side to it that remains shrouded in mystery until the very end. It has great animation & VA quality with lovable characters. It's also hilarious!
Old 2009-07-26, 19:31   Link #13
Re-l

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathreape98 View Post
Clannad is a simply captivating romance with two seasons. It has no action, but there is a "supernatural" side to it that remains shrouded in mystery until the very end. It has great animation & VA quality with lovable characters. It's also hilarious!
I am sure it is a good series and all but I have tried out the anime before by watching the first episode and it was totally not something I found entertaining in my opinion. Not only this but I also don't like much comedy but I can take a little.
Old 2009-07-26, 19:43   Link #14
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

If you don't like comedy then don't bother with the second season of Full Metal Panic!

One of the funniest animes I've ever seen.
Old 2009-07-26, 20:00   Link #15
Re-l

Quote:
If you don't like comedy then don't bother with the second season of Full Metal Panic!

One of the funniest animes I've ever seen.
I didn't mean I don't like comedy, I simply meant I can't take a WHOLE anime based on comedy or an anime that uses way too much comedy that annoys me half way through a show.
Old 2009-07-26, 21:15   Link #16
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

Then yeah, stay away from the second season of FMP. The three seasons basically go action-comedy-action genre-wise.
Old 2009-07-26, 21:57   Link #17
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaut View Post
I didn't mean I don't like comedy, I simply meant I can't take a WHOLE anime based on comedy or an anime that uses way too much comedy that annoys me half way through a show.
You might try Kanon - it's less slapstick than Clannad, somewhat darker and more subdued in tone. Really a much better series all around, though I know I'm probably in the minority on that.
Old 2009-07-26, 22:11   Link #18
qwertyuiopz

Quote:
Then yeah, stay away from the second season of FMP. The three seasons basically go action-comedy-action genre-wise.
the 2nd season is a compiled series of fillers

ye its hilarious but im guessing u should skip it if u want straight up action
Old 2009-07-26, 22:54   Link #19
Netkaos

If you've not seen it try Perfect Blue. Be warned though, it is rather graphic and a bit explicit.
Old 2009-07-26, 23:18   Link #20
velvet nightmare

i am surprised no one mentioned death note

that is exactly the description of the anime you're looking for. it often gets compared to code geass for the psychological part, and much better supernatural
Closed Thread

Tags
psychological, supernatural