AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-ON! The Movie - Rating
Perfect 10 44 51.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 28.24%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 12.94%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.18%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.18%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-24, 05:15   Link #841
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misago View Post
140,306 total first week sales. That's kinda huge, only Ghibli/Evangelion sells more.

K-On Movie BD Limited Edition -- 96,430
K-On Movie BD Regular Edition -- 2,952
K-On Movie DVD Limited Edition -- 28,029
K-On Movie DVD Regular Edition -- 12,895
almost 100k sales for the BD version? That is very nice! If anyone doubted we could get more K-On should take a look at these numbers and think: what production committee wouldn't want to keep this going?
Old 2012-07-24, 07:49   Link #842
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

I find it surprising that there were very few BluRay standard purchases.
Old 2012-07-24, 13:46   Link #843
trenton_dawn
Silt

Man, watching the movie made me realize how much I miss having more K-ON to watch. Plot-wise I was expecting the emphasis to be on the London trip but having it focus on a present for Azusa actually made a lot of sense, since the former just consisted of "doing stuff" while the latter involved "getting something done". I don't think it was the kind of movie that blows your mind or anything, but it was really upbeat and funny, and I had a good time. Plus, there was a surprising amount of music.
Old 2012-07-24, 15:05   Link #844
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

I'd like to see an extended version where they play the complete songs and not just 30seconds to 1 minute pieces.
Old 2012-07-24, 17:00   Link #845
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post

Yeah, the otaku have already been there, done that.
rofl. That's how you do it.
Old 2012-07-25, 00:53   Link #846
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerider View Post
I'd like to see an extended version where they play the complete songs and not just 30seconds to 1 minute pieces.
I would be expensive to do it and it would cut a lot into the movie, but not movie really does that anyway or so few (I'm talking about in general).
Old 2012-07-25, 01:34   Link #847
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

K-On!, the Extended Version ... heh
Old 2012-07-25, 02:01   Link #848
GreatTeacherKen

I really loved the movie. It really feels more like a grand finale or an alternate last episode since it incorporated the entire cast, even the minor extras like Tachibana Himeko and that male teacher who's always nagging Sawako. Not to mention that it also ended with the song Tenshi no Fureta, but this time shown from the perspective of the seniors.

All in all, it was funny and heartwarming like the rest of the series and a fitting sendoff for Houkago Tea Time.
Old 2012-07-25, 11:22   Link #849
Blossom550

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Random note, but did anyone else notice how "Ohayou, Mata Ashita" wasn't in the movie anywhere? Even Ichiban Ippai got a nice little spot in the opening scenes. I guess that's alright, I do slightly prefer Ichiban Ippai, after all.
it would be nice if the song was inserted in the movie i love the song it feels so good
Old 2012-07-25, 18:03   Link #850
Lumilicious
Lurking~ ( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
I really loved the movie. It really feels more like a grand finale or an alternate last episode since it incorporated the entire cast, even the minor extras like Tachibana Himeko and that male teacher who's always nagging Sawako. Not to mention that it also ended with the song Tenshi no Fureta, but this time shown from the perspective of the seniors.

All in all, it was funny and heartwarming like the rest of the series and a fitting sendoff for Houkago Tea Time.
I have to agree with this. I really enjoyed the movie as well and it it couldn't be a more fitting ending for the 2nd season (that's how I see it anyways).

It actually made me rewatch both seasons again, and it made me all fluffy inside as well. :P
Old 2012-07-25, 21:27   Link #851
GreatTeacherKen

I wonder if it's just me, but I felt like the musical performances in the movie grew more personal and intimate to the girls as the movie went on; in other words, each performance was more personal and, in the context of this series, more important than the previous one.

The 'performance' that opens the movie was fake and intended to prank Azusa. The performance in the sushi restaurant was the first real performance but was unintended since it only happened due to a misunderstanding on both sides. The third one was intended and the largest in terms of audience size but was performed in front of a wide audience of people who are strangers. The performance in class was done in the classroom with their classmates who they've been together with for the year and almost the entire cast of the series present. And the final one of course, was the seniors' present to their beloved Azusa.
Old 2012-07-25, 21:30   Link #852
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

What? No sushi after the performance? You would think that you could at least get a free meal out of it

The last performance to Azunyan was the best imo

Last edited by kk2extreme; 2012-07-25 at 22:56.
Old 2012-07-25, 21:52   Link #853
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misago View Post
140,306 total first week sales. That's kinda huge, only Ghibli/Evangelion sells more.

K-On Movie BD Limited Edition -- 96,430
K-On Movie BD Regular Edition -- 2,952
K-On Movie DVD Limited Edition -- 28,029
K-On Movie DVD Regular Edition -- 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_nubkilr View Post
I find it surprising that there were very few BluRay standard purchases.
I'm not that surprised at these figures, assuming that the BD and DVD limited editions are the same (aside from the optical disc, of course. Are the BD and DVD LEs really the same?). There's a bunch of cool stuff that comes with the limited editions- so much so that this will probably the only chance to nab 'em.
The other thing to note is that the regular editions don't come with any subtitles at all (contrast with the LEs, which include Japanese subtitles), though I doubt that's a major influencing factor in which edition people buy.

The temptation to get the BD limited edition was too great, thus blowing a massive hole in my wallet.

Edit: Whoops, seems the DVD and BD limited editions are significantly different... the DVD one is 2 discs, the second disc containing bonus material (230g/0.51lbs). The BD one, on top of the second bonus disc, also has a ton of physical goodies- like a storyboard book (that's about as thick as three stacked BD cases, the whole package weighs about 1.1kg/2.43lbs). Considering the relatively minor price difference of an already expensive product (BD LE incl. tax: 9240 yen vs. BD SE: 7665 yen; a 1575 yen/approx. USD20 difference; for comparison the DVD LE is 7560 yen, and the SE is 3800 yen), it's probably little wonder why there's a bigger BD LE to SE ratio than expected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
I wonder if it's just me, but I felt like the musical performances in the movie grew more personal and intimate to the girls as the movie went on; in other words, each performance was more personal and, in the context of this series, more important than the previous one.

The 'performance' that opens the movie was fake and intended to prank Azusa. The performance in the sushi restaurant was the first real performance but was unintended since it only happened due to a misunderstanding on both sides. The third one was intended and the largest in terms of audience size but was performed in front of a wide audience of people who are strangers. The performance in class was done in the classroom with their classmates who they've been together with for the year and almost the entire cast of the series present. And the final one of course, was the seniors' present to their beloved Azusa.
Good catch, I hadn't thought about the deeper meaning of the five performances in the movie. I think it's fair to say that the core premise of the movie centres on Azusa- what she has done for the club and how the older four want to thank her for all she has done, putting all their effort and love into a song- with London thrown in as a nice little bonus.

Last edited by blaze0041; 2012-07-25 at 23:10.
Old 2012-07-27, 17:36   Link #854
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

If you can't digest a very negative opinion on this movie, I suggest skipping over this post to save yourself grief.

---------
K-ON! has always been one of the most disingenuous anime franchises of all time to me. If there is any big reason why this movie ultimately falls flat on its face it is because they try to strike a sentimental chord about the nostalgic high school years in a franchise whose sincerity has gone completely bankrupt a long time ago. Not to mention the amount of distraction that is caused by what ultimately felt like a minor side point to this story, their trip to London.

Seriously what was the point of this movie in ever venturing off to London? Half the movie, if not maybe a little more actually takes place back in Japan. The time they do spend in London is just waltzing around random parts of the city and hardly utilizing any elements of the culture and setting for the purposes of the movie. When they did their little performances, one was at a sushi bar and the other was at a Japanese cultural fair. Home away from home? Give me a break. This movie never needed to go to London to do what it did because it never actually really used the goddamn setting in anyway meaningful. The focus here is completely off.

I also have to note why people in London were portrayed like the biggest weirdos ever. I mean c'mon now, I know Japanese people tend to not be very good with foreign countries but this sort of ridiculing portrayal of foreigners has got to stop. I usually forgive TV more for this since well they don't got the budget and stuff, but this is a goddamn movie and they can't actually do a better job here? Worst the engrish still exists and they can't get proper english speakers? Give me a break.

If this movie was supposed to be about how they wanted to say goodbye to the their good friend, then good grief did they go about in the most roundabout manner possible. It does not help that most of movie is pretty much recycling the same old jokes and personality quirks that have long since gone past their life time of freshness and amusement.

And like always this franchise hasn't been about music. That became very clear in its very first season and it still is clear now. I never got the impression that the music was something deeply important to the character, rather it was the experience with themselves as friends that they seemed to value more. Essentially the hobby didn't matter, it was just that they all interacted with this hobby. To the very end this permeated the show, and I still have to ask the question here, why music? If K-ON!! ever truly sent the message here about why music was here in the first place, I never got it. It had about as much purpose as it did in something like Angel Beats, it's just sort of there. This franchise is still completely false advertising in this regard.

I also do not like how they always manage to play so damn perfect in their songs. Oh we wrote a song, we don't really practice it and all of a sudden they're on stage and the whole crowd eats it up. Great. It's a disservice to the process of music completely. The only time they did any different was the very last song that they prepared for Azu-nyan, but these scenes were far and few in between through this entire franchise and even in the movie.

In reality this didn't need to be a film. The pacing throughout was completely off and very uneven. The production values were honestly a bit disappointing for a Kyoani effort. A lack of a cohesive narrative structure plagued the film all throughout because of two completely different focuses never meshing together. The sentimentality doesn't work because it never properly built a base by distancing itself from its obvious 4-koma roots in the first place. When most of your show consists of eating cake and drinking tea with 4-koma styled humor and interactions throughout, it just does not feel sincere. The film wasted too much time in an ultimately pointless side adventure to make up any ground here on this front.

I hope this is the last we ever of the K-ON franchise. This film was extremely, extremely poor.

Rating: 3/10
Old 2012-07-27, 21:05   Link #855
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
If you can't digest a very negative opinion on this movie, I suggest skipping over this post to save yourself grief.
Spoiler:
I've spoilered your review just so my re-quoting doesn't occupy extra page space

On close inspection, it is not unreasonable to suggest that you're not a fan of the entirety of the K-On! franchise. Ordinarily, people are content simply to not watch that which does not suit them. Therefore, I'm curious to know why spent 2 hours of your time watching the movie, if you had anticipated in advance that the movie would not suit your interests.
Old 2012-07-27, 23:23   Link #856
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Short answer: I was tricked

Long Answer: Wait why does it matter?

And sure I'm not a fan of the franchise, but no harm in seeing if things are different in a movie format.
Old 2012-07-27, 23:48   Link #857
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

I don't think you were tricked to begin with. The movie isn't supposed to move you or impress you in the same way as something like Lord of the Rings or Studio Ghibli productions would. It was merely an extension of the series, and as such, builds upon the series' characteristics: whatever is present in the series, strength or weakness, will be amplified in the movie format. This is almost to be expected from K-On!, given that it was never intended to have a strong story. Granted, other movies have a different approach, but that is neither here nor there.

I shouldn't have to point out that it is quite disrespectful (rude, even) to dismiss something by challenging its relevance. It matters because your review was in great detail, showing that you cared enough to discuss it. I am not criticising the validity of your opinion, nor am I commenting on your review, which reasonably justifies your thoughts on the movie.

Instead, my main concern lies within the consistency of the numerical scores you gave the movie. I find that a score of 3/10 contradicts your review and assessment (you gave the movie 2/10 in the poll): whereas your review makes it clear that you wouldn't recommend the movie, a score of 3/10 or 2/10 implies that there are some redeeming values (consider that AnimeSuki gives it as "bad" and "very bad", respectively, not "painful"). If there are no redeeming values, it would have been more reasonable to assess a score of 1. Again, I am curious to know where that 3 and 2 come from, and it would be polite to respond From a personal standpoint, I never give numerical values because that requires objectivity in the form of a standardised system. This is, naturally, an unwise use of my time: instead, I assess shows based on whether they work for me or not.

Last edited by teh_nubkilr; 2012-07-28 at 00:22.
Old 2012-07-28, 00:29   Link #858
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_nubkilr View Post
You were never tricked to begin with. The movie isn't supposed to move you or impress you in the same way as something like Lord of the Rings. I shouldn't have to point out that it is quite disrespectful (rude, even) to dismiss something by challenging its relevance. It matters because your review was in great detail, showing that you cared enough to discuss it. My main concern is not your justification (which is sufficient), but your numerical value. I never give numerical values because that requires objectivity: instead, things either work or don't work for me. A 3 of 10 imples that something was redeeming, contradicting your review. Truth be told, your review is more reflective of a 1 of 10.

In general, movies build upon a series characteristics: whatever is present in the series, strength or weakness, will be amplified in the movie format. This is almost to be expected from K-On!, given that it was never intended to have a strong story. Granted, exceptions exist, but that is neither here nor there, for the reason I have provided.
Well if you really want to know what i meant by that, I got tricked by friends into watching it. Not that it really matters. However I do have a strong opinion about this franchise.

I'm being dismissive because I am not sure how my motives in viewing this factor into it unless you're trying to accuse me of trolling, which if that is what you believe then nothing to say there.

And lets be real here, ratings have nothing to do with objectivity. Objective is a loaded term to begin with. When people write reviews on anything it all comes down to their subjective opinion. The best you can do as a reviewer is to limit your own bias, but I assure you I don't hate the genre (I like shows like Working! for example).

Like I said before, I though they actually tried to do something too different which just worked against it. The sentimental farewell high school years to their friend was just not something I felt they built a sufficient enough base for it to be at all emotionally effectual. I was apathetic to the whole thing.

I gave this movie a 3/10 because there are worse out there for me, believe it. (The poll vote was a mistake don't worry about that)

Last edited by Reckoner; 2012-07-28 at 04:59.
Old 2012-07-28, 00:40   Link #859
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
*skip*

phew. Thanks for the warning!
Old 2012-07-28, 00:55   Link #860
Somnus
Eh?

Ah, it's been so long. It took me a bit to get used to the all-too-sweet setting of K-On! again, but once I was settled in I was treated to an irresistible ride of cute, fluffy, and adorable. And it was fantastic. Not to mention it looked spectacular too.

Nearly 2 hours of pure joy, and also caused me to watch ep. 24 again to see it fall effortlessly into place. I'm not too fond of the "cute girls doing cute things" Schtick nowadays, but there'll always be a place for K-On, and I will admit I felt a bit sad knowing this was the end of their run (for now).

Tags
comedy, slice of life