Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-04-06, 17:12   Link #1
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

help...iso burner.(for linux)

Ok two questions first is i need a iso burner/cd copier like alchohol 120% for linux. I dont want to pay for it and yah... im running fedora core 1 umm what else umm anyways help is good. The second thing is that i have been trying to watch avi's in linux and i really cant i have tryed downloading the programs in the media config guide or whatever and i cant get it inltalled... umm yah i havent been using linux long,
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 17:32   Link #2
Nevion
/dev/random

cdrecord tools rpm or source blah blah, anyway, use gcombust for the front end... if your using a 2.6.x kernel tell me and I'll give more instructions on how to get it to work right without scsi emulation. On a side note, if your on 2.4.x you'll need to set up scsi emulation which is quite easy, linuxquestions.org or google for scsi emulation and setup. As for something as good as alcohol 120%, I don't think linux has something thats designed to copy anything no matter what yet but I haven't tried so who knows it may work try it out on any game you may own later and tell me the results : ).

for media player, don't be a wussy and get an rpm, just download mplayer source do ./configure --help on it put in any flag that sounds good along with --prefix=/usr and --enable-gui then do make && make install and you should beable to watch anything libavcodec can decode which is just about anything.... you might want to install xvid first though... thats just download it, cd into build/generic ./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install && ldconfig then do mplayer stuff.

EDIT: instead of bothering with gcombust just do mkisofs -o yourcdimage.iso /path/to/cdrom eg mount /mnt/cdrom && mkisofs -o backup.iso /mnt/cdrom. Weather or not you use gcombust you will still have to bother with the scsi emulation bit though.

hope that helps.

Last edited by Nevion; 2004-04-06 at 17:56.
Nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 20:32   Link #3
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

my cd burner isnt scsi , anyways umm yah ill try all this proboubly fail and come running back for help so yah... umm illl try that
Old 2004-04-06, 20:55   Link #4
Nevion
/dev/random

scsi emulation.... doesn't mean you have (somehow) a scsi cd burner. In the 2.4 series of kernels you needed to use this to burn cd's on an atapi device or else it would be horribly slow and dangerous to burn.
Nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 20:58   Link #5
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

o... ok umm yah thanks for clearing this up i am verry new to linux and have not had much time to spend in it.
Old 2004-04-06, 22:33   Link #6
RichMan
????

Buy Windows, problem solved...
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 11:12   Link #7
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

How about no windows sucks!
Old 2004-04-07, 12:31   Link #8
lavalyn

Sig says it all...

CD-burning should be ready to go on a standard distribution's installation. cdrecord / mkisofs / some frontend will always be available if not already installed. However, some caveats are in order:

- in kernel 2.4, access to the cd-burning functionality is provided through SCSI emulation. you'll need to insert "ide-scsi" and "sg_mod" modules, and specifically remove "ide-cd" module. This doesn't occur in kernel 2.6.
- setting up a frontend will probably require you to run it as root the first time through, to verify permissions over the cd-burning device.

I'd suggest xcdroast for a relatively simple frontend, but recently I'm finding it not as good as k3b or just a massive cdrecord|mkisofs pipe.
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 17:50   Link #9
DeHackEd

As a Linux fan, I'll try to make my contribution.

Modern distros have had a pretty good track record of automatically detecting CD burners and enabling SCSI emulation mode automatically. One way to be sure is to check the output of the console program "dmesg" and look for SCSI stuff, especially if it "detects" your IDE CD burner.

As for actual burning, I do recommend a front-end like X-CD-Roast (which is what I use), but if you just want to quickly burn something and are willing to put up with the console, here's what you do.

Run: cdrecord -scanbus

It will output a bunch of devices detected and their SCSI identification code which is something like 0,0,0. Find your burn's identification code. It should never change unless you alter your hardware or kernel settings so you might as well remember the id.

Now, to burn the file image.iso to a CD in your burner, run:

cdrecord speed=12 dev=0,0,0 -v image.iso

Where you set your correct CD speed and SCSI id. -v will give you a progress indicator.

If you get permission denied errors, you'll have to run as root. Some distributions let you proceed without root access though.

If cdrecord is not installed, it should be part of a package named "cdrtools"
DeHackEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-07, 21:38   Link #10
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

look RichMan i have one thing to say i am looking for a way to burn cd's in linux not windows! else i would have specificly said i want a windows cd burning tool which i didnt. All you are doing is messing with my thread, i never asked how to burn a cd in windows and i never asked your opinion on linux either. Its my choice to burn a cd in linux and it dosent matter what you think about it. I asked a question on how to burn in linux, if i wanted to swich over to windows and burn it i would. Its all about choice, i made my choice to use linux and i made my choice to learn how to use it, not only that but i wonder why some servers use linux...humm...in any case your posts are more agitating then anything else, please for the love of god quit now and save us all the agervation, MY OPINION is that windows sucks, i have used windows for a long time and its slow, seceptible to spy and adware and i have had more problems in windows then linux, not to say that windows may be working great fot you, thats great if it is but i made my switch and i stick by linux, as for the whole gui thing what the hell do u think windows runs off? come on get real you should have expected youd get flamed for posting about windows being much better in a linux thread so leave... just leave. now!
Old 2004-04-08, 02:40   Link #11
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I've deleted posts to make a point.

RichMan, it is clear from above -- in fact it was clear right from the start -- that your answer wasn't going to be very useful to Chris. If you thought it was at first, fine, I can live with that but don't push it down his throat after he has made it clear he would rather NOT use windows. The whole "windows" vs. "linux" thing is both off-topic and un-constructive.

Everyone Else, people are entitled to their opinion but if the reply isn't constructive just ignore it next time please, it would have saved me deleting 7 posts.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 11:34   Link #12
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
I burn cds with linux at uni, I'll check soon what soft they use.
but do you want a cd burner or an iso maker ( or both ? )
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 13:17   Link #13
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Chris: Try K3B, which has a GUI and a good troubleshooting program. Also, try asking this question on a Linux forum (such as www.justlinux.com ) where there will be more people who are able to help.