AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-08, 04:55   Link #61
Azuma Denton
~AD~

the OP and ED of this show is awesome...
not the usual OP and ED anime you'll find...

but somehow, i feel eps 1 lack some sound effect.
when i watched 1st eps, some scene sounds so flat because they dont add proper sound effect to it.

but, overall 1st eps is so good...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 07:03   Link #62
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Liked the premise, but the plot seems too fixated upon and almost handcuffed to that major event in episode 1. I'm sorta not gearing up for the typical angst that will obviously follow in the later episodes... It doesn't really ease you into the show like Major, Ookiku Furikabutte or even the old Princess Nine did. And I wonder if this show will take a more fun, baseball-oriented route sometime. I can see hints of it happening, but not before a lot of token 'after-event' angst. I'd probably end up watching it all like with Touch though. That show too, IMO was a little melodramatic for the sake of melodrama. Even if it was good for it.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 08:22   Link #63
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Actually, this is the 'angst' you'll see. Not much else, just enjoy the slice of life and baseball on the side.
Old 2009-04-08, 08:22   Link #64
Zekori

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Liked the premise, but the plot seems too fixated upon and almost handcuffed to that major event in episode 1. I'm sorta not gearing up for the typical angst that will obviously follow in the later episodes... It doesn't really ease you into the show like Major, Ookiku Furikabutte or even the old Princess Nine did. And I wonder if this show will take a more fun, baseball-oriented route sometime. I can see hints of it happening, but not before a lot of token 'after-event' angst. I'd probably end up watching it all like with Touch though. That show too, IMO was a little melodramatic for the sake of melodrama. Even if it was good for it.
If it's anything like the manga I wouldn't worry about your concerns.

And with that said, I didn't realize this went animated. It'll become a favorite for me.
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 08:26   Link #65
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Yeah, the mangaka's stuff, I always end up liking more than I thought I would. I still prefer Major's approach the best, but that show sometimes throws some characters under the bus (ANYONE NOT NAMED SHIGENO GORO) to move on in its arcs.

Oh yeah, I forgot my biggest and maybe the only serious complaint: A lot of the characters look the same. Even some male/female counterparts look like the clone version of each other. Usually that isn't an issue in anime, but in this show, it sort of is. I have to discern by voice now.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 10:16   Link #66
ZODDGUTS

Ugh you want this to be like Major no thanks, that show is just overdrama/angst fest plus the main character is a complete dick at times. Thankfully the first episode of this series is the most angst you'll see in this series.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 10:31   Link #67
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Major has never lived up to the awesomeness of S1, but it's still a damn good series IMO. Yes, GAR-o is a complete tool sometimes, but that's just part of his makeup - he's also very noble and highly principled. That's a show about something completely different from this one - about how one young man's exceptional will can effect people and events around him. I think Cross Game is going to be much more about basically regular people and how they interact with each other.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 12:24   Link #68
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I liked ep1. Seems like a solid show: good story, good voices, good animation. But I think ep1 may have been rather different from succeeding eps, so we'll see where things go.
Spoiler for ep1:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 13:58   Link #69
apropervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I liked ep1. Seems like a solid show: good story, good voices, good animation. But I think ep1 may have been rather different from succeeding eps, so we'll see where things go.
Spoiler for ep1:
Spoiler:
apropervillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 14:20   Link #70
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Spoiler for ep1:
well, he has two reasons to play Baseball. One is conciously and the other is unconciously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apropervillain View Post
Spoiler:
that is something I only see happening in movies and anime ...hehehehe
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 15:21   Link #71
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Wow I got KGNE flashbacks their for a second...Nice setup of normalcy with a quick tragic blindside right from the start. Character designs are kinda...eh...But still cute nonetheless.

Wonder what direction its going to take after the time skip I'm assuming thats coming from the OP/ED.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 16:21   Link #72
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Me liking a sports anime is definately a first. This really feels like an old school baseball anime, even the art style looks old school. I'll keep an eye on this, melodrama is my cup of tea, but sports isn't. Let's see how this turns out.
Old 2009-04-08, 17:48   Link #73
mit7059

I'm always up for a sports anime, especially a character oriented one. I'm not familiar with the manga but I have to say I was disappointed in the animation, I don't really see the point in high definition if the drawings are so basic. I guess I've just been spoiled by series like Ookiku Furikabutte. That being said I think this show is going to be very interesting, they set up a lot in the first episode and I was very surprised at the sudden turn of events (I knew nothing of the story coming in), I will definitely be following this one.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 18:32   Link #74
Fevvers
a regular van veen

I'm not quite into the direction of the first episode, it wasn't bad, but after watching Touch, this seems a bit unrefined. The bright colors for the retro design aren't my thing either, then again, I'm probably just bias. Still, I'm quite curious how the characters are going to handle the tragedy, so hopefully we see improvements on the next episodes.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 18:38   Link #75
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
it's because no one watches sports anime, at least no one in the english-speaking world. most likely more people will watch this than any of the other shows this season, but there will about three people talking about it in english
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I played sports in High School and paid portion of my college tuition playing sports, so the anime representation of sports just feel too silly. I know that's the reason for me why I don't follow sports anime for the most part. That said, I've really enjoyed the baseball anime Ookiku Furikabutte which highlighted some of the strategies used to play the game. The serene portrayal mixed with the above-average overall animation effort also helped me enjoy the anime.

That's not the case for a lot of the sports show. I've found stories to be either overly melo dramatic, or the sports aspect of the story too ridiculous to follow.

As long as we can count on you as well to talk about it, we will have 4 people.

Saw the first episode and I know with certainty that I'll be following this. Slice of life setting with balanced human drama. Probably that's why the final moment was so powerful. I don't cry in anime, but boy it was so hard not to. It was heart wrenching and shocking. When the announcer in the TV was saying it casually, it took a second to sink in about what transpired. I agree with all of you who thought the episode was brilliant. I don't know how this series will try to top the first episode because it has already set the standard so high for itself. Giving the episode a 9 out of 10 aka excellent rating.

I will stick with this show for the romance factor alone.

P.S. I'll be strictly enforcing all manga spoilers, even under spoiler tags, that reveals future event in this thread. Any manga discussion needs to go in the corresponding Cross Game manga thread.
I always wonder why the Japanese anime/manga can't depict the sport in a sports manga the way it is in real life. There is enough drama in real life sports that i just don't see why Japanese anime/manga add half the stuff they do into a sports manga?
Old 2009-04-08, 18:52   Link #76
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Hmm? It's fairly low-key after this point. That's probably the biggest drama you'll see in the entire season.
Old 2009-04-08, 18:56   Link #77
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
Hmm? It's fairly low-key after this point. That's probably the biggest drama you'll see in the entire season.

i know that, i was just commenting on japanese sports anime in general.
Old 2009-04-08, 19:57   Link #78
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i know that, i was just commenting on japanese sports anime in general.
Ah, my misinterpretation then.

Quite true though. Another reason I like the style here.
Old 2009-04-08, 23:39   Link #79
nihon
夢見たい
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucipher View Post
...its a sports anime so im guessing its going to be subbed very slow...
We hope to have each episode out within a week (or less) of when it airs. We aren't super fast, but we do a good job.

Oh, and "we" = Jade Fansubs.
nihon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 00:13   Link #80
topboy
poor man

1.Can anyone tell me what SD version & HD version mean?
2.Anyone know bot(s) that host cross game #1 or newest episode anime in rizon? (Wanna get it from IRC but no luck)

For my opinion about ep 1, I feel it's too fast to end wakaba season in just 1 ep If the show will have 52 ep, wakaba season should last 3 ep at least. Wanna share kou time with her more, to show how deep of a relation they had.
topboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports