AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2010-01-31, 18:10   Link #341
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post

I haven't read it but it sounds interesting. How about post a brief review of it here? I may get it in my next batch of orders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
I've read volume 1, comments here.
There's your review Doraneko!

I do agree with apr though, there really isn't much thinking involve. It's an action packed series. However, the mystery in Heaven's Gate arc (3+4) was Nisio level (plot wise, not character's chattiness). I didn't have a slightest hint what was going on until the very end when the plan was revealed. Quite entirely unexpected but fall together so well in the end. In one sense, it is like the Zaregoto series where the everything "clicks" at the last chapter.

The series is based on a genius scientist, whose invention was so ahead of the time that there was a special organization made when the scientist disappeared to make sure the inventions don't fall into the wrong hands. Base on this premise, you can categorize it as somewhat sci-fi fantasy genre. The story revolves around this genius's daughter and the genius's arch-enemy's son.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 12:49   Link #342
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Thanks for the reviews for 9s. It surely does sound interesting. I think I'll pick up one volume first and see if it suits my taste.

On new light novels, 神様のいない日曜日, the other award-winning (ファンタジア大賞) story on grave keeping after Sugar Dark, has just been released. A main heroine that looks exactly like Sakura Kinomoto automatically translates into win.

A pdf of the first 20 pages, from the publisher's website
Spoiler:

Other new novels that got awarded in ファンタジア大賞:

夏海紗音と不思議な世界1 (trial pdf) (Kind of Haruhi-esque from the description alone)
Spoiler:

中の下 ランク1.中の下と言われたオレ (trial pdf) (「性獣学園」って... )
Spoiler:

The first two looks pretty neat. Does anyone here plan to get any of the above?
Old 2010-02-03, 14:50   Link #343
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Does anyone here plan to get any of the above?
Unfortunately (?) I have nigh endless reading material on my shelf. And more in the mail, as usual. Finish two books, buy five. Brilliant plan.

Just read the last pages of Durarara 3, and I'm kind of grouchy now. It was too long and didn't have enough of a pay-off to make up for all the build-up and flashbacks. Taking a break from the series until I feel less irritated.

The question, as usual, is what to read now.

Series on the shelf that I haven't even started:
* 扉の外
* 終わりのクロニクル
* 俺の妹がこんなに可愛いわけがない
* イリヤの空、UFOの夏
* 猫の地球儀
* 狼と香辛料
* 学校を出よう
* 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱
* スレイヤーズ
* わたしたちの田村くん
* 星界の紋章
* 半分の月がのぼる空
* ブギーポップは笑わない
* 十二国記
* 精霊の守り人
* 皇国の守護者
* 世界の中心、針山さん

Series I've started on but not finished yet:
* デュラララ
* ゼロの使い魔
* かのこん
* 9S
* 灼眼のシャナ
* 空ノ鐘の響く惑星で
* ダブルブリッド
* キノの旅
* ベン・トー
* バカとテストと召喚獣
* 文学少女
* キーリ
* フルメタル・パニック
* おいしいコーヒーのいれ方
* 戯言
* 化物語

Then there's a bunch of stand-alones, like MAMA and とある飛空士への追憶 and 塩の街 and oh god make me stop buying books already!
Old 2010-02-03, 15:08   Link #344
Kunagisa

Having a 50k yearly tuition (including dorm housing + food) means literally somewhere around 50 bucks monthly allowance for me =(.

I wish I can buy books. Share is like my primary source of getting any material. Mostly the new stuff I have to wait for translations or a couple years for someone to type/scan them.
Old 2010-02-03, 23:04   Link #345
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Unfortunately (?) I have nigh endless reading material on my shelf. And more in the mail, as usual. Finish two books, buy five. Brilliant plan.
I also have my share of unread books and many of them are Kino no Tabi and Ookami to Koushinryou. At that time I just started reading light novels and I bought the full sets from second-hand Japanese book stores at a discount. After that I have never bought sets again, and for any series I always start with one book only . Right now I limit myself to at most 5 books a month.

As a broken student second-hand books is my major source. One light novel normally costs US$1-$2.5, but for new and major releases like シアター! it costs as much as $5. Too bad that the number of Japanese working in my city has been rapidly falling since 2 years ago, and it is more and more difficult to see newer releases in those second-hand stores.

Btw the other light novel "source" is the fancy Japanese book store on the top floor of a Japanese department store. I never buy anything from them, but they have chairs and I can spend a whole day there finishing a short series.

P.S. I really love to see the ending of 猫の地球儀... Got the first book but can never find the second book...:drools:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Having a 50k yearly tuition (including dorm housing + food) means literally somewhere around 50 bucks monthly allowance for me =(.

I wish I can buy books. Share is like my primary source of getting any material. Mostly the new stuff I have to wait for translations or a couple years for someone to type/scan them.

Sorry to hear that .

I feel your pain as I also have to shoulder my own tuition fees and most of my income is from boring part-time work like translating Japanese legal/accounting stuff into English. Share is indeed a saviour for broken people like us. But it seems like it is harder and harder to get new releases there due to the recent crack downs.

I am not sure if you like older releases, but I think sending some of my finished books to a book lover who will truly enjoy them, is by far better than getting ripped off by second-book stores and get only $0.5 per copy. You have to bear the international shipping though as I am equally broken. Drop me a PM if you are interested and I can give you a list of books to choose from.

Last edited by Doraneko; 2010-02-03 at 23:22.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 23:57   Link #346
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
P.S. I really love to see the ending of 猫の地球儀... Got the first book but can never find the second book...:drools:
Er, http://www.bk1.jp/product/00015459 ?
Old 2010-02-04, 13:32   Link #347
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
hmmm...

anyone got any good novels to recommend? I'm feeling a bit empty after Haruhi and Shana went away.

Although, Sword Art Online is a welcome addition, I need something "wacky" and funny too...

Any suggestions welcomed! oh, if you got Cover, it'll be helpful. (Can't read Japanese/Chinese so i'll need it if I have to go out and buy it.)

Thanks!

*bookmarks thread*
Old 2010-02-04, 14:12   Link #348
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
anyone got any good novels to recommend? I'm feeling a bit empty after Haruhi and Shana went away.

Any suggestions welcomed! oh, if you got Cover, it'll be helpful. (Can't read Japanese/Chinese so i'll need it if I have to go out and buy it.)
Scuse me, why do you want to buy things you can't read? Seems a waste of money.
Old 2010-02-04, 14:16   Link #349
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Oh thanks . The last time I checked they didn't list it as available. Probably they have restocked recently.

Quote:

Although, Sword Art Online is a welcome addition, I need something "wacky" and funny too...
Do you want official English releases, or even the untranslated versions are okay ? It'd also help if you can list out your likes and dislikes.
Old 2010-02-04, 23:24   Link #350
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Scuse me, why do you want to buy things you can't read? Seems a waste of money.

I can see your point, but that's what friends, Family and girlfriends are for...

Doraneko thanks for lending a hand, while I'll love to have some English official titles, they'll be expensive to ship here.

So if you know any Japanese novels in HK Chinese or just Japanese would be fine, as they'll be very easy for me to pick up at the shops.

As for what genre, well, I was going to say Bakemonogatari style, but that just reminded me to go pick up my own copy.

while I do like Toradora! getting a bit tired of the tsundere, so something that has a Yuki like character from Haruhi.

But a bit of comedy thrown in...

maybe something of a parody,I remember there was this one novel about how a a video game rpg heroine jumped out of the TV into the real world and ran around smashing flower pots for money....

Can't for the life of me remember what was that called...

But yes something along those lines.

Any recommendation appreciated.
Old 2010-02-05, 01:03   Link #351
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
I can see your point, but that's what friends, Family and girlfriends are for...
Heck I wish I had friends and family members that could translate French or Russian for me.

Back to the topic:
Quote:
Bakemonogatari style
If you mean the Nishio blend of wordplay and mystery, besides other Nishio works (that's obvious ) you may also like to try 〈映〉アムリタ ( [Ei] Amurita ). It is about a group of students making independent films, with a good share of comedy and mystery. The ending is kind of abnormal though and some readers treat it as a horror story. (No HK/TW translation available at the moment.)
Quote:
while I do like Toradora! getting a bit tired of the tsundere, so something that has a Yuki like character from Haruhi. But a bit of comedy thrown in...
AURA 魔竜院光牙最後の闘い (AURA Maryuuin Kouga Saigo no Tatakai) may be a good choice. Think of it as a Haruhi-verse with Yuki only, and with a nice dose of comedy. Otaku bookstores in HK also have it available as AURA~魔龍院光牙的最後之戰~.
Quote:
maybe something of a parody,I remember there was this one novel about how a a video game rpg heroine jumped out of the TV into the real world and ran around smashing flower pots for money....

Can't for the life of me remember what was that called...
Looks interesting . Remember to post the title here when you can recall it.
Old 2010-02-16, 07:38   Link #352
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

The trial tracks of the Oreimo Drama CD are already online. It's very funny and highly recommended to readers of the novel . There are also extra stories not covered in the novels.

http://oreimo.dengeki.com/goods
Old 2010-02-16, 09:39   Link #353
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Any novels with tsundere's (I, differently from Oni, am not tired of such characters) that we do not translate on B-T? Preferably novels with a romance.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 06:46   Link #354
apr
Pedestrian

Oh god, my wallet.

講談社ノベルス
3/25発売
●零崎人識の人間関係 匂宮出夢との関係 【著:西尾維新/絵:竹】
●零崎人識の人間関係 無桐伊織との関係 【著:西尾維新/絵:竹】
●零崎人識の人間関係 零崎双識との関係 【著:西尾維新/絵:竹】
●零崎人識の人間関係 戯言遣いとの関係 【著:西尾維新/絵:竹】
Old 2010-02-17, 08:45   Link #355
AlaAlba

Quote:
As for what genre, well, I was going to say Bakemonogatari style, but that just reminded me to go pick up my own copy.
Any recommendation appreciated.
bakemonogatari style in which ghost/youkai mysteries solving style or comedy wordplay style?
dont know many novels myself ^^ maybe you can try nishio ishin's other works like zaregoto

*edit:
Quote:
maybe "Love You"? ラブ★ゆう by 七月隆文, the summary sounds like that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Any novels with tsundere's (I, differently from Oni, am not tired of such characters) that we do not translate on B-T? Preferably novels with a romance.
B-T is down btw? was on my way to check what novels they have... lol

anyone can recommend one for me then?
I've read and like them:
toaru
mismarca monogatari
masurao
kaze no stigma(too bad we wont see the continuation of this one)
ichiban ushiro no daimaou
spice wolf
shadow = light
and some major ones like fmp, shana, zero,toradora etc.

fantasy, romance genre I guess?

Last edited by AlaAlba; 2010-02-17 at 09:02.
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 14:01   Link #356
Kunagisa

Quote:
Oh god, my wallet.

講談社ノベルス
3/25発売
●零崎人識の人間関係 匂宮出夢との関係 【著:西尾維新/絵:竹】
●零崎人識の人間関係 無桐伊織との関係 【著:西尾維新/絵:竹】
●零崎人識の人間関係 零崎双識との関係 【著:西尾維新/絵:竹】
●零崎人識の人間関係 戯言遣いとの関係 【著:西尾維新/絵:竹】
YOU HAVE TO TELL ME HOW THESE GOES WHEN YOU FINISH. I can't believe he got 4 of them out (about time too really), but are they actually 4 separate volumes or 4 chapters focusing on Hitoshiki?
Old 2010-02-17, 16:37   Link #357
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
B-T is down btw? was on my way to check what novels they have... lol
It was. Now it is back on (just finished translating ch 6 of Volume 11 of Zero No Tsukaima btw.

From the novels that are listed on B-T I think Zero No Tsukaima, Sword Arts Online, Bakemonogatari and Kaze No Stigma are currently best (after Spice and Wolf and others were taken down because of C&D letter). People like Toradora too though I myself never enjoyed it (surprisingly, though I usually like tsunderes a lot, I just could not stand Taiga at all).

Anyways any recommendations for me yet?
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 17:09   Link #358
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
YOU HAVE TO TELL ME HOW THESE GOES WHEN YOU FINISH. I can't believe he got 4 of them out (about time too really), but are they actually 4 separate volumes or 4 chapters focusing on Hitoshiki?
I still haven't read more than Zaregoto 1, so these are way back on my list of titles to read. Closing in on the last pages of MAMA currently, think I might do Ben-too 2 after that.

Anyway, the new Nishio books are all ~1000 yen each, so I'm assuming they're full novels.
Old 2010-02-17, 22:25   Link #359
AlaAlba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
It was. Now it is back on (just finished translating ch 6 of Volume 11 of Zero No Tsukaima btw.

From the novels that are listed on B-T I think Zero No Tsukaima, Sword Arts Online, Bakemonogatari and Kaze No Stigma are currently best (after Spice and Wolf and others were taken down because of C&D letter). People like Toradora too though I myself never enjoyed it (surprisingly, though I usually like tsunderes a lot, I just could not stand Taiga at all).

Anyways any recommendations for me yet?
how about 司書とハサミと短い鉛筆 by ゆうきりん? amazon
about a girl came out from a book and you know what'll happen after that.
I havent read it but I think フィフ is a tsundere. correct me if I were wrong.
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 10:16   Link #360
apr
Pedestrian

Finished MAMA by Kougyoku Izuki, whose debut work Mimizuku to Yoru no Ou had me quite mesmerized. Back then I wondered if her writing was more like the magical earlier half, or like the dull second half, and with MAMA she's proved it's the latter. While the cozy world view remains the same, the writing, plot and characters feel pretty flat. A particular eyesore was all the 『その瞬間だった』 repeated page after page, getting me irritated for no good reason. It's not a bad book, and I'd probably be nice enough to give it 3/5 as a grade, but it's nowhere as dazzling as I'd hoped. Maybe next time?

Tags
light novels