AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-11-13, 12:46   Link #621
Aqua Knight

1) Where do I sell the stolen goods?
2) How do I cure my diseases and where can I see which ones I have?

Joined Dark Brotherhood, I hope its quests are as good as in Oblivion. But still my char's old face disturbs me, I hope young faces mod comes soon.
Old 2011-11-13, 12:51   Link #622
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Okay, am I suppose to be having this much trouble handling giant spiders, trolls, Bounty hunters and saber-tooth cats this early I basically had to run pass all off them to get to the top of the mountain

P.S - Lol, the wisp mother defeated a dragon all by herself
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 13:09   Link #623
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight

Nothing like running around the countryside and just cutting the heck out of bandits with a 2H enchanted sword. Though still looking for some interesting looking ones rather than just the normal type.

In terms of the dragons I enjoy the encounters. May not be super hard, but always entertaining. Good music and trying to shoot them to the ground so I can charge in with the sword and exchange attacks is pretty good fun. Though is odd how they are making such a fuss about them, but the giants seem like a bigger danger .

I decided to 'turn down' the invitation this time around. Didn't feel like it fit my character this time around. Maybe when I make a different character in the future.
Old 2011-11-13, 13:52   Link #624
spikexp

Yeah, the giants are a lot more fun, and difficult to fight than dragon.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 14:12   Link #625
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

You'll change your mind when you go to the dragon shrines and get one shoted by one breath attack from the sky
Old 2011-11-13, 14:13   Link #626
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Been so busy playing, didn't realize there's a quick patch out already to make the UI more friendly to the mouse. Such a small, but huge, improvement to the console UI.

The downside is, half the time I crash to desktop if I alt + tab now, despite not having any issues prior to the patch.

Guess I'm gonna fire up autohotkey and play in a maximized window now.

Edit: LoL. Clicking 'Windowed Mode' only gives me a few resolutions, none of which are even close to the native res of my monitor. :/ Hrm, wonder if there's a way to roll back this patch.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 14:51   Link #627
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Been so busy playing, didn't realize there's a quick patch out already to make the UI more friendly to the mouse. Such a small, but huge, improvement to the console UI.

The downside is, half the time I crash to desktop if I alt + tab now, despite not having any issues prior to the patch.

Guess I'm gonna fire up autohotkey and play in a maximized window now.

Edit: LoL. Clicking 'Windowed Mode' only gives me a few resolutions, none of which are even close to the native res of my monitor. :/ Hrm, wonder if there's a way to roll back this patch.
With Oblivion you could edit the resolution via the .cfg file, maybe try that?
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 15:05   Link #628
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
You guys need to know that there are 2 types of dragons: Frozen and Normal.

Normals are at your levels.
Frozen, are extremely high leveled, no matter how weak you are.

And you can sell stolen good if you join the thief guild.
Old 2011-11-13, 15:24   Link #629
Aqua Knight

^
Sell goods only to thieves guild members, again?
Old 2011-11-13, 15:46   Link #630
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
You'll change your mind when you go to the dragon shrines and get one shoted by one breath attack from the sky
I've gone to Dragon Shrines and all I've met are the very normal dragons . But even the Blood ones are really easy. And yes, the dragons that breath ice. Not sure if there are other types of dragons. Dragons really are too easy in this game which is sad considering their significance in the game. I mean come on, one boss class enemy in a dungeon kicks my ass but a Dragon can't even scratch me .. hmmm..
Old 2011-11-13, 16:19   Link #631
Who

Anyone know how to meet the Jarl of Solitude? Been roaming around the country to find the prospective marriage candidates. One of them is where the Jarl is, but I seem to require keys to get into the Castle Dour. Unless I'm totally looking in the wrong place. ...hope that wasn't too spoilerish
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 16:25   Link #632
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I've gone to Dragon Shrines and all I've met are the very normal dragons . But even the Blood ones are really easy. And yes, the dragons that breath ice. Not sure if there are other types of dragons. Dragons really are too easy in this game which is sad considering their significance in the game. I mean come on, one boss class enemy in a dungeon kicks my ass but a Dragon can't even scratch me .. hmmm..
Well, if you wait long enough there's bound to be a 'realistic dragon' mod where all the dragons are going to be ridiculously strong and you have to hide from them until midway through the game before you're strong enough to fight one.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 16:27   Link #633
Dist

Well I was somewhat wrong anyway. I've visited two Dragon Shrines so far, both when I had a bounty to kill a dragon. Perhaps because of that, the dragons were just plain normal ones. Re-visited one now and there it was, a Frost Dragon who's breath would indeed kill instantly. I had to start dual casting a healing spell the moment the ice was coming and I'd be left with just a few HP (it damaged more than I could heal ). I managed to beat it though.. Once you get them to land when you damage them enough they're too easy when you can just hide behind stuff and arrow them to death.
Old 2011-11-13, 17:28   Link #634
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
What's annoying is that Dragons are not as epic as they should be. The music with them is epic and all but ... they're just way too easy. Some boss class enemies in dungeons give me MUCH more trouble than these overgrown flying lizards ;<
Try seeking out some dragon shrines. The dragons there tend to be a bit tougher, first time I challenged one I watched as my sneak attack X3 arrow chipped of a millimeter of his healthbar and then got roasted in seconds.

But the main problem with dragon difficulty is their attack patterns. Dungeon bosses and giants do one thing: They run at you and hit you. Hard. Predictable, but very hard to escape from if you're not a sneaky bastard. Dragons, on the other hand, fly around, breath dodgeable fireattacks from the sky, land in places that allow you to run around and slash them and if you're an archer you can pump them full of arrows no matter where they are.

It's funny when you think about it. By making their attack patterns more interesting and less boring than every other enemy in the game (seriously, most enemies don't even try to use any tactic beyond "charge and slash/shoot/cast"), they ended up making them easier. If dragons attacked as relentlessly as the melee enemies in this game, they'd be a lot harder. But the breathers they give you when they fly away reduce the difficulty by a rather large bucketload.

Then there's also suroundings to consider. Most bosses are encountered in small enclosed environments with little space to run and short range, while dragons are always encountered in the open world. I once encountered a boss-type that had given me a tough fight in a dungeon in the open world, and with the range I had this time she hit the ground before she could hit me.

But I still prefer to fight dragons any day. A lot of fun every time you take one down.

Last edited by Keroko; 2011-11-13 at 18:02.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 17:46   Link #635
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
It's embarrassing to say but I'm having trouble getting any dragons attention. I see them fly overhead, fire a dozen arrows to get their attention, miss horribly, then they fly away. Am I doing it wrong? :/
Old 2011-11-13, 18:53   Link #636
Dist

^Usually in those cases the Dragons are not interested in you but rather the wildlife around you. I can't really get their attention in those cases either so I just leave them alone. Sooner or later, one will come just for you.

I do wonder why do they always come when I'm doing something where I really don't need a dragon -_-. Like now, I killed a chicken and the whole town pissed off because of it.. So I'm chased by a ton of guards and boom, dragon lands in front of me. Was a damn Frost Dragon too.
Old 2011-11-13, 18:55   Link #637
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Looks like it's full on plate for me. It's hilarious when a swordie attacks without a shield when suddenly a fireball comes out of their offhand.

Still discovering the different organizations and factions in the first main town where Dragonsreach is. I haven't decided which clan to side with.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 19:57   Link #638
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
I got to about level 14 as my Heavy Armour Orc with sword and board, and started again as a caster to give it a shot.

Oh. My. God... They finally made primary casters an easily accessible and effective choice in Skyrim. Running around dual casting flames and burninating everything in sight. Don't need to worry about the extra weight of heavy armour and since they removed the whole strength mechanic you don't have to worry about bad carry capacity as a caster either. Not to mention being naturally good at sneaking now I'm wearing robes.

I remember having to use berserker rage to beat the spider in the bear claw cave the first time as my melee character, but as my caster he was a walk in the park.

Question for someone whose never played a caster for long in any Elder Scrolls game, how do the stats of the conjured weapons scale, or do they scale at all?
Old 2011-11-13, 20:13   Link #639
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Not sure what level you guys are but there is actually 5 different types of Dragons:

Dragon (Brown colour, lvl 10 - 905hp, fire or frost damage),
Blood Dragons (Green colour, lvl 20 - 1421hp, fire or frost damage),
Frost Dragon (White colour, lvl 30 - 1860hp, frost damage),
Elder Dragon (Bronze colour, lvl 40 - 2255hp, fire or frost damage ),
Ancient Dragon (Red or Black colour, lvl 50 - 3071hp, fire or frost damage)

All have breaths, obviously. Either fireball or ice storm, some have unrelenting force shout and they melee hit from 37 damage (Dragons) up to 300 damage (Ancient Dragon).

Interestingly, Alduin has a category all on his own.

For comparison, Giants are lvl 32 have 591hp, 374 stam, and something called giant stomp (the knock up probably).
Old 2011-11-13, 21:31   Link #640
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

@dragons:
The first few times they are pretty cool. Fly around, breath, throw fireballs, etc. Esp the 1st fight where tons of people are shooting at a dragon attacking a tower: it was pretty cinematic-like (even though the player really doesn't need to do anything in particular).

After a while though, dragons just become sort of - bleh -. "Has it landed yet? Why is it not landing? My arrows are hitting it when its all the way up in the air!".

There is a bit of lost potential there. There can be things like, setting up traps for dragons, fighting it using siege equipment (those catapults used in the siege quest comes in handy!), or getting special allies, such as a giant, to help you defeat dragons.

Maybe the developers didn't want "pure melee" characters like mine (whom have only ~20 archery skills just from doing sneak-shots+dragon hunting) to be too "challenged" in a dragon battle.

As there is no strength requirement to equipment, why would an enchanter mage wear robes at all? Might as well as put the enchants on light/heavy armor (and mages do not really need to sneak around).
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim