Spoiler for some Japanese reaction:
Spoiler:
MonkeyBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 06:22   Link #542
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I wonder if that sort of feedback has impact though... we seem to have been through a year of a number of series where the writers competed to see who could screw good stories deeper into the compost.
The feedback has impact? Who knows. I'm waiting for the next major harem-type title, then I can judge I'm still waiting to see whether the Shuffle feedback had any impact
Old 2006-03-27, 06:45   Link #543
MonkeyBrains
It's what's for dinner

There's no such thing as bad publicity. I think the only feedback is ratings and money. If the ratings are high and people buy the merchandise, there will be imitators.

I have no idea how Canvas2 fits into all that though. Don't know the ratings, and the merchandise machine is nowhere near as prolific as Shuffle or Da Capo (yet).
MonkeyBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 08:24   Link #544
giu_2

Send a message via MSN to giu_2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seravy
re: ep24

complete and utter ass. it's been a while since an ending to a series i liked completely disgusted me. i had a bad feeling things weren't going to end well when eps 23 showed no hints at all of a satisfactory resolution on the horizon, but i wasn't expecting this trainwreck. horrible horrible ending.

i agree, the ending wasnt good..it was almost discusting ;P
hiroki and elis (brother-sister), it should have been hiroki and kiri ffs
giu_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 08:25   Link #545
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Eh, they're not THAT closely related

Not that this ever stopped people
Oh well, I need to get my hands on the subs.
Old 2006-03-27, 08:35   Link #546
giu_2

Send a message via MSN to giu_2
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Eh, they're not THAT closely related

Not that this ever stopped people
Oh well, I need to get my hands on the subs.

i tought they were cousins..
giu_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 09:11   Link #547
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Cousins (especially 2nd+ cousins) are a-ok in most countries... even 1st cousins are "legally" a-ok in many places. Socially/morally the acceptance varies dramatically but "eww" is globally a minority view. Genetically (which should be the only real metric), it is statistically hardly more a problem than two complete familial strangers.

In small communities with little outside contact (namely , most of the world) it is pretty difficult NOT to be some sort of cousin of any available possible partners and you probably grew up with them anyway. This "eww" factor I keep seeing in forum posts is a purely irrational but personal choice. Feel free to "eww" but also realize it is just recently invented mostly Industrialized era baggage. 20-somethings marrying late teens being "eww" is a novel invention of the last few decades... mostly injected to ensure young adults finish their education from what I can surmise.

As far as the "growing up together" problem... kids in small towns usually grow up together and marry each other --- its the anomoly of large cities and the industrial age that fractured that. Anecdote: my grandmother remembers my grandfather (no close relation) when they were in kindergarten and he'd dab her hair in the inkwell and try to write with it. I've known my wife really since junior high (though I didn't pay any attention to her til senior year in high school when I was struck with an "omigod she's cute" bolt). Of course, she's japanese stock and I'm "31 flavors" European - less than 10,000 generations removed from each other if I remember (a blip on the gene clock).

Canvas 2 specific comments (and I'll ask again for people to go back and spoiler-fix their posts, eh?):
Spoiler:

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-03-27 at 11:26.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 09:30   Link #548
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
The feedback has impact? Who knows. I'm waiting for the next major harem-type title, then I can judge I'm still waiting to see whether the Shuffle feedback had any impact
Well, in fairness, it'll probably take a while for any impact to work it's way down the the production pipe.
Old 2006-03-27, 10:54   Link #549
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Well, personally, I enjoyed Shuffle a lot throughout, much like this. Shuffle just went meh in episode 21 in that scene, and maybe in the end of the Asa arc (although the Asa arc in the game wasn't that good to begin with, I still think her justification not to use magic was meh), and Canvas 2 went a bit crazy at the end, but both shows were really enjoyable as whole, and I'd recommend both, for the lovely characters and the amount of attention and development they got...plus it was fun as well...

I still think it's a pity when a show is so good all the way and then a piece of bad writing screws the overall plot, but well, what can you do...

Last edited by AvatarST; 2006-03-27 at 11:12.
AvatarST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-27, 11:09   Link #550
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, as far as Shuffle is concerned, I really hope they take the time to fix ep 21-24 in the DVDs. If they do that, maybe Canvas 2 will also be fixed somehow (if DVDs are released).
Old 2006-03-27, 11:19   Link #551
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Cousins (especially 2nd+ cousins) are a-ok in most countries... even 1st cousins are "legally" a-ok in many places. Socially/morally the acceptance varies dramatically but "eww" is globally a minority view. Genetically (which should be the only real metric), it is statistically hardly more a problem than two complete familial strangers.
Spoiler for Why do I seem to be the only person still spoilering this?:
Old 2006-03-27, 11:24   Link #552
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

eh... I asked for better spoilering a number of posts ago, but few people seem to be paying attention, so I gave up...
Old 2006-03-27, 11:28   Link #553
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Well, as far as Shuffle is concerned, I really hope they take the time to fix ep 21-24 in the DVDs. If they do that, maybe Canvas 2 will also be fixed somehow (if DVDs are released).
If they do fix it, it will probably just be the animation (which was rather spotty throughout the series).
I'm kind of surprised there aren't already Canvas DVDs out, has anyone actually checked?
Old 2006-03-27, 11:34   Link #554
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, I was kinda hoping they'd include some more scenes if needed (especially in Kaede's and Asa's arc), so that it makes sense and doesn't ruin the whole plot. They don't need to rewrite anything, just add stuff to make the transition better or give reason to irrational thoughts (see Asa's reason for not using magic). And they could do that with Canvas, too. IF they're getting ANY feedback at all that is.
Old 2006-03-27, 12:02   Link #555
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I know it *occasionally* happens that a scene will be recut/reworked (with new voice work) but their butts have to be on fire from the flames ... its too bad we'll have to wait and see on Shuffle! (On Tsukuyomi, they fixed all the "still frame because the animation shop screwed up so bad" stuff and the detail work, but none of the audio was changed that I could tell).

The Canvas people *really* ought to take a look and see if there's even a few seconds here or there they could tweak to provide a bit of foreshadowing.
Even a couple of "thought balloon" voice-over lines would do it.
Old 2006-03-27, 12:06   Link #556
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
I know it *occasionally* happens that a scene will be recut/reworked (with new voice work) but their butts have to be on fire from the flames ... its too bad we'll have to wait and see on Shuffle! (On Tsukuyomi, they fixed all the "still frame because the animation shop screwed up so bad" stuff and the detail work, but none of the audio was changed that I could tell).

The Canvas people *really* ought to take a look and see if there's even a few seconds here or there they could tweak to provide a bit of foreshadowing.
Even a couple of "thought balloon" voice-over lines would do it.
Well, they do specials in DVDs, so I thought maybe they won't make any specials and add something.

Koi Koi 7 (the greatest hit of all times, I know ) added ecchi content in its DVD episodes. Damn, one episode has 1-2 whole minutes of extra fanservice/ecchi content. If Koi Koi 7 can do that, why not something better, like Canvas or Shuffle?
Old 2006-03-27, 12:08   Link #557
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Well, they do specials in DVDs, so I thought maybe they won't make any specials and add something.

Koi Koi 7 (the greatest hit of all times, I know ) added ecchi content in its DVD episodes. Damn, one episode has 1-2 whole minutes of extra fanservice/ecchi content. If Koi Koi 7 can do that, why not something better, like Canvas or Shuffle?
In that case, I would imagine those scenes were already existing and were simply added back into the anime (similar to the first season of Girls Bravo, where they removed the ever present steam).
Old 2006-03-27, 12:09   Link #558
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
In that case, I would imagine those scenes were already existing and were simply added back into the anime (similar to the first season of Girls Bravo, where they removed the ever present steam).
Eh... Can I pray then that essential Shuffle/Canvas content was cut out due to whatever restrictions but it will be put in the DVDs?
Old 2006-03-27, 12:31   Link #559
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Well, A), you didn't even see the Canvas episode yet.

B) No idea. It might exist, but if it's that important to the plot I imagine it would have aired. The only time I can remember plot-important time missing from the aired episode was Wind (I think it was wind) which was missing four episodes (including one of the more important ones in the entire series). Other than that, I imagine not much is changing. Though, of course, there are pleasant surprises that just happen occasionally.

Negima!, Tsukuyomi Moon Phase, and Girls Bravo had some of the most extensive changes done post production, but they were all essentially art changes. No plot details were changed.

Spoiler for I refuse to stop using spoiler tags until it's subbed :):
Old 2006-03-27, 12:36   Link #560
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I know they do rework of animation having seen DVD vs broadcast comparisons .... including camera angle changes (entire redraw), focus and gamma, detail, etc. I know Kamichu! has extra bits in the DVD (in addition to the extra episodes). But.... it depends on whether the idiots are listening to the reactions.
The gritty purpose of anime is to advertise merchandise (CDs, DVDs, toys, manga, bricbrac) --- if you piss off the buyers too much, you won't sell the product.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, eroge, f&c, kadokawa, romance, school life, seinen, slice of life, zexcs