AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-07-29, 04:12   Link #961
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
aaaaannnnnnnddddd Trump is howling for states to reopen again. Not caring about how well that worked last time.
Remember when just a few days ago his press secretary was chiding states for opening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Diver View Post
Another issue is people are tired of it, they are starting not to care because they are getting told what to do. I'm seeing more and more people saying "if I get it, I get it, I don't care anymore". Even I'm finding myself saying screw it i forgot my mask but I'm still going to the store
Well, maybe if they had just followed instructions from the beginning they'd be done with it. But no, they've refused to follow instructions for more than a couple of weeks at best, and the US has had to restart every time.

Maybe if people stopped being idiots they wouldn't have to "not care".
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-29, 10:22   Link #962
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Louie Gohmert, who refused to wear a mask, tests positive for coronavirus

Why am I not surprised?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...navirus-386076

He and William Barr were maskless yesterday while walking into Barr's hearing. I suspect we'll see some other Republican Congressmen showing symptoms in the days ahead.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-29, 12:12   Link #963
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Well, maybe if they had just followed instructions from the beginning they'd be done with it. But no, they've refused to follow instructions for more than a couple of weeks at best, and the US has had to restart every time.

Maybe if people stopped being idiots they wouldn't have to "not care".
It's not being a idiot, it's a actual psychological response to high stress experience, most common examples are terminal diseases where people suddenly "give up" on treatment or people living in a war torn area living like nothing is happening. People are tired of being in fear, you can throw insults all you want but it doesn't change the psychological response to the situation, all that does cause people to clam up.

That said the virus isn't going away just because we wear masks, they told us early on allot of people are going to get it, the point of masks, social distancing, etc is so we don't over load the medical care system like in Italy. My sister experienced how hectic it can at her hospital in NJ but her in NC it hasn't been nearly as bad and the cases have not climbed at the rates her area saw
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-29, 21:24   Link #964
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I don't care as much and I figure I may get it eventually one way or other because I have to go to work, run around for errands and stuff but I still wear my mask which is no big deal. It fits my OCD agenda.

Outside from the doom, gloom and misinformation in the media, it's fairly normal in my neck of the hood.

The worst part of getting COVID19 if you get it bad isn't dying but that you'll live and get charged with a big bill.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-30, 00:54   Link #965
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Turning Point USA co-founder dies of coronavirus-related complications
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...cations-387077

Or maybe you expect to get better but you just die.

edit: healthcare is a pain in the USA, though.

//

Last edited by Key Board; 2020-07-30 at 01:07.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-30, 02:57   Link #966
GDB

Quote:
It's not being a idiot, it's a actual psychological response to high stress experience, most common examples are terminal diseases where people suddenly "give up" on treatment or people living in a war torn area living like nothing is happening. People are tired of being in fear, you can throw insults all you want but it doesn't change the psychological response to the situation, all that does cause people to clam up.

That said the virus isn't going away just because we wear masks, they told us early on allot of people are going to get it, the point of masks, social distancing, etc is so we don't over load the medical care system like in Italy. My sister experienced how hectic it can at her hospital in NJ but her in NC it hasn't been nearly as bad and the cases have not climbed at the rates her area saw
You don't see the difference between living with a terminal disease or in a war torn area, and... having to wear a mask?

And if places locked down properly, it could go away. At least until some idiots get it outside of the lockdown and illegally go into the locked down area. This has been the case in... I think it was Australia and New Zealand.
Old 2020-07-30, 12:00   Link #967
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
You don't see the difference between living with a terminal disease or in a war torn area, and... having to wear a mask?

And if places locked down properly, it could go away. At least until some idiots get it outside of the lockdown and illegally go into the locked down area. This has been the case in... I think it was Australia and New Zealand.
I never said that, I was explaining the psychology of it the best I could. The main thing is people are tired of living in fear and I'm seeing more and more people negating precautions.

That's not going to happen most likely, we have to wait for a effective treatment/vaccine to become available, after that we just need to make in mandatory so the Anti-vaccine morons have no choice to get it
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-30, 22:35   Link #968
McW
Canaan II When?

Quote:
I never said that, I was explaining the psychology of it the best I could. The main thing is people are tired of living in fear and I'm seeing more and more people negating precautions.
Fear? There's no reason to fear, I mean fear what? I take precautions because I DON'T WANT to ge sick, keyword want. Even with all the precautions if I ever get sick from it that's it, 2 weeks sick leave and done. While much deadly than most disease still not very likely to kill you. Taking precautions also help to slow the spree and less people getting sick and working, the economy keep running.

I don't even see the point of debating about it anymore. I mean anti-mask? That was a Spainish flu thing, 100+ years and learns nothing, what a waste.
Old 2020-07-31, 01:16   Link #969
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
There are several people on this forum from other countries. What is the global opinion of America at this time?
I once said in this forum that America is a white Christian nation.

I wrote it as a statement of fact, and not as an expression of opinion.

Ironically, I think I'm more correct today than ever.

I doubt there's ever been a country that inspires as much hope — and cynical disgust over its blatant hypocrisy — as the United States.

I won't miss the US pretense of thought leadership. But I am concerned about what will fill the vacuum.

What's the global opinion of America at this time? I believe I'm not alone in having nothing but pity for its people, and anger at its elites for thinking that they still have the moral authority to lecture the rest of the world on what is right or wrong.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-31, 02:02   Link #970
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
What's the global opinion of America at this time? I believe I'm not alone in having nothing but pity for its people, and anger at its elites for thinking that they still have the moral authority to lecture the rest of the world on what is right or wrong.
I feel pity for my American cousins for being stuck with that absolute shitshow of a government. And I am speaking as a French who watch my country run by absolute clowns who try to buy minority votes by groveling, figuratively, in public over topics such as its past history.

However, I have nothing but disgust for those who allowed this to happen, and Americans will lose all my sympathy if voters cant even take responsibility, waste their vote and allow a second term for Cheetos.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-31, 04:49   Link #971
GDB

Quote:

That's not going to happen most likely, we have to wait for a effective treatment/vaccine to become available, after that we just need to make in mandatory so the Anti-vaccine morons have no choice to get it
As McW said, this isn't "fear". Wearing a mask is a precaution. You know, like a seatbelt, a condom, or a helmet. Anti-mask is some combination of ignorance, malice, and selfishness.
Old 2020-07-31, 06:03   Link #972
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
To add another influential politician who has paid the price:

Herman Cain, once a Republican presidential nominee and more recently anti-mask, has died from Covid-19.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-31, 06:10   Link #973
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Which he likely contracted at Trump's Tulsa Covidiot rally.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-31, 07:23   Link #974
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Probably the case.

Outside of all potential measures involved with being POTUS, I swear Trump has to be super-lucky to have been to so many encounters and not have contracted Covid-19 himself (that we're aware of)

Old 2020-08-01, 08:07   Link #975
The Green One

Would be karma wouldn't it?
Old 2020-08-01, 09:23   Link #976
Key Board
Carbon

He's actually very lucky.
He's gotten away with things no other politician would survive.

But he tends to squander his luck by doubling down.

All he needed to win the election was handle covid19 responsibly.

//
Old 2020-08-01, 09:35   Link #977
barcode120x
RN

I guess I would say he's lucky, but not extremely lucky. I guarantee he wears a mask when not in front of media and definitely takes precautions off camera (hygiene, not touching face, etc), he has to in his position. He just has access to more preventative measures (NO, I am not talking about hydroquinolone kekw).

I don't think he's insanely lucky because many of us healthcare workers are exposed to COVID patients all the time at work. I understand we take our precautions at work (N95, hand washing, etc), but considering the influx of patients the last several weeks, you would think there would be a decent amount of healthcare workers (nurses and docs in particular) would be infected/out of work, but that's not the case. At my work, I've heard only about 10 ER nurses are + with covid and we are a pretty decent sized hospital. My unit has only had 2 staff + so far since March.

Of course many factors play into COVID susceptibility. I think DT is simply doing the right precautions off camera and his staff are making sure his exposure is low. I would not be surprised if staff members are regularly tested including all the lawmakers. All meetings are schedule, so it's easy to test a group before they meet with the president.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-01, 10:02   Link #978
GDB

Not sure if it's still the case, but for a while there everyone in his administration was allegedly getting daily testing done.

I say allegedly, because I suspect it wasn't true testing with the thing up the nose and all.
Old 2020-08-01, 11:58   Link #979
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

See my posting on how the virus is resurging in Japan here: https://forums.animesuki.com/showthr...42#post6431742
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-02, 06:31   Link #980
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

I've mostly said it to myself, but I stick by this opinion: the coronavirus is going to destroy, or at least heavily change, society as we know it. Going by what's in the dictionary, if we define a society as individuals who associate with each other... well, coronavirus is wiping out said association. I mean, sure, we have the Internet to conduct meetings, but the human race has been around for far longer than the Internet, and we haven't evolved enough to deal with the drawbacks of online association- that is, it's basically inbred into humans that we need physical association.

Which leads into the second point, and why I truly believe many people dislike masks, and it just so happens that American values take it to the extreme: Individuality and facial recognition. Keep in mind that from the moment we're born, we learn to recognize faces and use unique features to recognize individuals. There was an interesting article I read that basically boils down to, wearing a mask wipes out a lot of the unique identifying facial features. And because Americans are all about being unique, wearing a mask (especially when it's a basically nondescript mask) completely goes against the idea of individuality.

Oh, and the other thing everyone forgot but I was just reminded of: the whole point of this has been to flatten the curve, not eliminate the disease altogether. That is, people are going to keep getting sick and for quite a while; we're just trying to make it so that the medical professionals can handle all the cases. But that does lead to a very terrible moral/ethical idea that I like to think about, and I believe I mentioned it way back when all this began: do you let millions of people die because they can't receive adequate care but at the same time possibly let the disease run its course faster to be over and done with (the majority) of it, or do you have the disease stick around for a long time (we'll say more than a year) while telling people to take precautions so that the medical staff can actually handle all the cases and keep the death toll low? At this point, it's become apparent which ones Americans at the very least have chosen... showing they really don't give a damn about anyone outside their immediate family and close friends.