AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-08-14, 23:28   Link #1
.calla.

bartpe question

here is what happened:
one day i decide to watch a movie ala netflix's online movie thingy... so i install that. i gotta restart so i restart and i get the loop (system would load up to the windows logo and start back from post all over again). i try safe mode but it freezes at mup.sys.
by the way this is a laptop so per process of elimination it's not the power supply.
i think that it is the hard drive.
it doesn't really matter what the problem is. here is what i want to do.
is there any possible way to throw in bartpe and try to retrieve whatever files i need?
it's not my computer and nothing is backed up. so is it still possible to retrieve files?

another issue worth noting is that i threw in a xp disc i had lying around and when loading it told me that there was no hard drive found.
so lay it on me... is it screwed or do i have a shot?
.calla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 05:18   Link #2
Doughnuts

There's a small chance the HDD is corrupt, but the fact that the boot sequence manages to reach mup.sys in the first place suggests not. You shouldn't have a problem recovering any data with a live CD of some kind provided it can find the hardware. I think the error you're having is recoverable anyway, though I don't know how; google suggest a few hundred different possible problems.

You could try getting some more verbose information about the problem. Boot into a command line and edit boot.ini, add "/bootlog" to the end of the line containing the operating system (Not sure what to do with vista), then have a try booting again. It shoud log everything to a bootlog.txt file, so boot back into the command line and view that file. I don't know whether it'll help at all. Run a chkdsk while you're in the command line and check the results.

It's possibile your problem could be hardware related. I would unplug any USB devices, any other harddisks you're not using etc, open up the BIOS and use optimal/default settings then try booting again. I'm not sure if any of that will work, just have a read of how other people have remedied the same problem.
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 11:00   Link #3
.calla.

mmm its not trying to fix the hardware issue.

what i really want to know is how to save data from the hdd while i'm in bart pe.
Old 2008-08-16, 02:32   Link #4
Tiberium Wolf

http://www.runtime.org/peb.htm

There is the getbackdata plugin and others... I've never tried it before. If your drive is corrupted then those plugins should help. But then... I dunno where you can save the data to. Dunno if external hdd is suported.

Funny thing is xp not detecting the drive. Are sure about this? If u had no troubles with xp disc you could do a repair on the windows.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2008-08-16 at 13:29.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 11:03   Link #5
.calla.

it's one of those hp laptops and they don't give out the xp discs. and i tried throwing in a spare one of mine to see if it could do a repair (i assume it could pinpoint which of the files from i386 it needs) but.. the xp disc loaded on up and told no hard drive found.

i am currently fiddling with getbackdata plugin but i dont really understand it. plus its telling me the first partition is only 980mb. so.. something is off.