AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-18, 18:39   Link #1
7thMethuselah

Question from a non-watcher

Can someone explain to me what exactle One Piece is about. What genre of anime, what is the main storyline, are the characters fun, is the art good... you know the usual questions. I was thinking of starting to dl it but when i realised it was over 90 ep's allready i prefer to know what i'm gonna get.

Thx in advance
Old 2004-04-18, 18:44   Link #2
Shadow_Skill

Send a message via MSN to Shadow_Skill
one piece is about pirates... Its has humour and it reminds me of dragonball, so if you like dragonball, you'll like this..I wont say much..dont wanna spoil da story. I recommend u d/l it.
Old 2004-04-18, 18:49   Link #3
quiet insanity

One Piece is another Shonen anime, hence it originated in Shonen Jump. The story is about a kid named Monkey D. Luffy who has gained special powers from eating a Devil's Fruit, on his quest to find the mysterious One Piece and become the King of Pirates. The characters are pretty crazy, but are cool at te same time. The characters design aren't the normal run of the mill thing, but I love them. The animation is quite good too.

Btw, don't get turned off by the first few episodes with Coby, he just annoying and goes away soon
Old 2004-04-18, 19:35   Link #4
Nyssane
Mohji Fanboi

Send a message via AIM to Nyssane Send a message via MSN to Nyssane
Okay, lemme have a go at it. ^_^

One Piece is about a teenager named Monkey D. Luffy. When he was a young boy, he idolized the pirate captain Shanks. His goal was to be an even better pirate captain than him, and have a group of pirates even more extraordinary than Shanks'. The arcs are all very entertaining (although some (Arlong arc, Alabasta arc) more than others (Apis arc, Kobymeppo arc)). The character design is unique, and a nice, fresh change from all the generic anime characters.

One Piece is the only series that I have ever liked every main character. Each character has their own backstory and they develop as the episodes go on. The cast of villains are all very unique although some characters don't seem to have much of a purpose or drive. But it would be impossible to show what makes each and every character in One Piece tick (and believe me, there's tons of characters).

Like said before, the first few episodes aren't very exciting, but it gets extremely better as the series progresses. I <3 One Piece.
Old 2004-04-20, 12:22   Link #5
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Fame...fortune...power...

The one man who had it all in this world was the great Pirate King, Gold Roger...whose fateful last words drove men to the sea.

"My treasure? If you want it, I will give it. All the riches in the world await the person who can but find it."

And so, brave souls set sail for the Grand Line in search of their dreams. The Great Age of Pirates had begun.

It's a pirate adventure like no other you've over seen.

Now, Monkey D. Luffy has set out on his own grand adventure. His goal, to fulfil a promise he made to his idol, the pirate Shanks, to seek out the Grand Line and find the Pirate King's treasure: One Piece. He is both blessed and cursed by having eaten of the Gum Gum fruit , known throughout the seas as the "Devil's Fruit". Though now unable to swim, his body is now able to stretch like rubber. With his newfound powers and the crew of the Going Merry at his side (famed pirate hunter Zoro, crafty pirate thief Nami, compulsive liar Usopp, and suave but kicking cook Sanji), Monkey sets out to follow in the wakes of the great pirates and write his own name in the pages of history.

Take note that despite its recent release, One Piece can be considered very "retro" in style. The style and the somewhat whimsical storyline appear to take a page from Akira Toriyama's classic Dragon Ball.

anime description: taken from Absolute Anime
Old 2006-02-18, 20:55   Link #6
manga wanderer

one piece is very inivtive alot of others may have told you its about pirates ithink you should have started watching it earlyer but what can ya do ya know i stroungly think you should start watching and thnx

i also recomend
zatch bell
naruto
Old 2006-03-18, 10:40   Link #7
Evanescent Dreamer
Different and proud of it

More specifically, One Piece is drawn in the Japanese style of anime(that I,myself like to draw in) called Shoujo. In shoujo the characters are overall very thin with long legs. For girls, body contures are defined but the head is small. Boys are drawn the same but with broader shoulders. Amazingly excelllent storyline and mysteries, shocking big and small all the way through the storyline. I suggest watching the japanese version because the english version cut out 30% of the whole series, taking out whole story arcs and episodes crucial to the progressison of the storyline. Also is edited way too much. For instance, Sanji's cigertte changed to a lollipop, wine changed to juice, beer changed to root beer, almost all the blood and violence and suggested deaths are taken out, guns changed to toys or strange devices, cursing is taken out, and assorted things like that. But which ever you choose to watch, One Piece is the best anime you could choose for your viewing entertainment. Highly recomended! Given 5 stars.
Old 2006-03-18, 13:55   Link #8
Chuixupu
Shikachu

One Piece is not drawn in Shoujo style. Oda might draw a few of his characters to look thin, but One Piece is far from a Shoujo manga and Oda's style is pretty unique.
Old 2006-03-18, 15:03   Link #9
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

What Chuixupu said. I've watch/read Shoujo and One Piece clearly is not Shoujo drawn. The Oda style is actually quite unique.
Old 2006-03-19, 20:06   Link #10
AMS

Great action, characters, and humor do check it out. I mean it IS my favorite ongoing anime right now.
Closed Thread