AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-16, 19:23   Link #1501
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Oh, cool, thanks...

*pauses to check official site*

Darn, no listing for Storm Raider on Vice's page. I wanted to see if she was Intelligent or merely Storage.

(Has anyone ever translated the various booklets?)
Dezo, Storm Raider is an Intelligent Device. You can find it on the "List of StrikerS Intelligent Devices" page.

Signature by liro
Old 2009-07-16, 20:22   Link #1502
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Dezo, Storm Raider is an Intelligent Device. You can find it on the "List of StrikerS Intelligent Devices" page.
Oh, thank you (hmmm, a Japanese wiki!); nice to have some confirmation of that. *scrolls up page* And there's mention of Exceed Mode being a Device Mode of Raising Heart as well, confirming something JimmyC mentioned in a fic comment.

Okay, now I'm going to spend all night worrying about why the spell is "Excelion Buster" instead of "Exceed Buster" even when she casts it in Exceed Mode.
Old 2009-07-16, 23:22   Link #1503
Once and Current Subber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Let's just say Hayate herself estimated Caro to be more effective in melee than her...

Though this may not have been entirely serious, the aspect that she even considers this joke worthy shows she does not think too highly of herself in melee.
My point exactly. I mean, come on, she's got an omnidirectional spell that utterly devours anything within a range of, oh, a few dozen meters, not to mention all the OTHER nifty things out of the Reinforce arsenal (Dark Impact is there too, right?) Hayate's no good at melee in the sense of having skill at whacking people with her staff, she probably wouldn't win a wrestling match with Caro, and she probably didn't do well at dodgeball back in middle school, even once she could, y'know, walk. But an enemy mage closing to grips with Hayate under the impression that one sharp blow can take her out of the fight would probably be committing suicide.

Of course, an enemy mage trying to engage Hayate at long range is probably committing suicide too...

But Hayate probably wouldn't agree with that analysis, because we all judge ourselves at least in part by those around us, and well, take a look at the people around Hayate. Fate's an S-ranked mage with impossible speed, the Knights are scary bruisers and canny with many, many, many years of experience, and Nanoha is a beast no matter how you look at it.

Caro might be more skilled at melee than Hayate, then, but in an actual encounter, there wouldn't even be a Caro-body...
Old 2009-07-16, 23:48   Link #1504
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_notADV View Post
Snip
Except Hayate probably do not have the casting speed to use those spells well. it's all well and good to have enormous mana generation, but the BoD or YnS did screw up Hayate's linker core to the point only a very high-end unison device like Rein 1 could possibly make her effective in straight-up combat.
Old 2009-07-17, 01:38   Link #1505
Once and Current Subber

Why would you say that? She's not in unison (or even fully unlimited!) in Strikers and still casts a Diabolic Emission; the only reason it doesn't hit is because the enemy is, at that point, running away. If she can do it there...

It's true, though, that a very fast melee opponent surprising her at point-blank range is probably the best way to attack Hayate. Of course, it's also the best way to attack virtually ANYONE; it's very difficult to win if the starting condition is "Fate in Riot Form is directly behind you!" ;p
Old 2009-07-17, 01:44   Link #1506
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
It's true, though, that a very fast melee opponent surprising her at point-blank range is probably the best way to attack Hayate. Of course, it's also the best way to attack virtually ANYONE; it's very difficult to win if the starting condition is "Fate in Riot Form is directly behind you!" ;p
hee hee. For some reason, I just had this thought of someone going "Hey, look at that."

"I'm not looking."

"Don't say I didn't warn you."

"Huh?" *Turns to look, gets blind-sided by the enemy that was rushing in from that side.*

"I said, don't say that I didn't warn you."

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2009-07-17, 03:12   Link #1507
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The greatest problem is that virtually all combat in Nanoha takes place in melee, or involves melee at points. Even gun user Teana was given some melee training and a Device with a melee mode.

Now of course, they could solve this by actually showing Hayate fighting and winning without using melee, but noooo.
Old 2009-07-17, 03:31   Link #1508
Arkeus

Quote:
Why would you say that? She's not in unison (or even fully unlimited!) in Strikers and still casts a Diabolic Emission; the only reason it doesn't hit is because the enemy is, at that point, running away. If she can do it there...

maybe because her diabolic emission is still a wid-area spell and takes time to cast?

it is highly implied all of Hayate's melee spells are useless now, and her wide area spells should not be used in most conditions.
Old 2009-07-17, 05:49   Link #1509
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Tch, what a clever way to shaft her. Using the Knights as close-combat defense while she strikes from somewhere close is the typical tactic but since they have been placed elsewhere...

Old 2009-07-17, 06:07   Link #1510
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Clever? It's a rather cliché method of shafting, really. Make sure the character can't do much in 90% of the series' battles as an explanation for his/her lack of screentime.

They could have at least given her a transformation scene. I mean, even Shamal got a transformation scene.
Old 2009-07-17, 06:08   Link #1511
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Cliché, clever...it's not a nice thing either way.

And yes...transformation gief.

Old 2009-07-18, 19:42   Link #1512
D2
Go Big Red!

Has anyone watched Nanoha, the Abridged Series?
Old 2009-07-18, 22:56   Link #1513
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
The reason I ask about disadvantages is because Zest seemed to be unable (or unwilling) to use his Full Drive while unisoned with Agito.

So, is there a list, exactly, what they do for the user, besides the change of color and use of some extra powers?
That's basically it. Full Drive is exactly what it says. In RL, it is said that part of the limit in the muscle power we can employ is due to pain - your muscles start to hurt as you really exert, and fear of it keeps us both from seriously damaging our muscles and limits our strength. That's why people on drugs can be really strong - their pain perceptions are out of whack and they can liberally exert themselves.

In the Linker Core's case, supposedly you can usually only pull 60% out of it due to similar factors. With the Full Drive you pull 100%. (The last from the DVD handbooks).

Quote:
If you can't hit your enemies just because they are running away in a straight line ... your weapons are basically ineffective.

Quote:
My point exactly. I mean, come on, she's got an omnidirectional spell that utterly devours anything within a range of, oh, a few dozen meters,
If you meant Diabolic Emission, if you watch carefully, after a lethal lag in preparation, it engulfed a few dozen meters but it didn't DO much in its area. If you look carefully all the buildings were still there after being covered ... and the intended targets apparently suffered only superficial damage. This is consistent with a low energy density from covering a wide area, but not adequate to beat much.

Quote:
not to mention all the OTHER nifty things out of the Reinforce arsenal (Dark Impact is there too, right?)
Dark Impact, IIRC, is basically a powered punch. If you can't do well enough in melee to actually hit the enemy, the best punch won't do you much good.

Quote:
Hayate's no good at melee in the sense of having skill at whacking people with her staff, she probably wouldn't win a wrestling match with Caro,
Which is pathetic as of itself... but she wasn't just referring to melee...

Quote:
and she probably didn't do well at dodgeball back in middle school, even once she could, y'know, walk. But an enemy mage closing to grips with Hayate under the impression that one sharp blow can take her out of the fight would probably be committing suicide.

Of course, an enemy mage trying to engage Hayate at long range is probably committing suicide too...
A mage trying to approach (it is hard to engage if you don't have weapons reaching to that range) Hayate "at long range" is not really committing suicide. In the hectometric/kilometric field she lacks proper fire control skills. Note that Hraesvelgr is controlled by the GROUND, even though it is a direct-fire situation. Hayate ... at least learn to use a stadiameter!

Under hectometrics the enemy can close and attack before she finishes a spell... = KO.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with keeping certain people out of the field. Lindy was a good character and she hit the field only about once in the whole show. But you have to show them at least doing something else with relative adequacy...
Old 2009-07-19, 00:03   Link #1514
NeoSlicerZ

A rather unusual question but at what point did people start referring to Nanoha, Fate and Hayate as the three aces?
Old 2009-07-19, 00:05   Link #1515
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSlicerZ View Post
A rather unusual question but at what point did people start referring to Nanoha, Fate and Hayate as the three aces?
First time we heard of it was the first episode of StrikerS... when precisely in the timeline before that it started we haven't learned.
Old 2009-07-19, 00:09   Link #1516
NeoSlicerZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
First time we heard of it was the first episode of StrikerS... when precisely in the timeline before that it started we haven't learned.
Thanks, for some reason I thought the manga had refered to them as that before StrikerS. Hmmm, time to go off to put plaster over a plot hole.

Last edited by NeoSlicerZ; 2009-07-19 at 00:42. Reason: Spelling, damn new keyboard
Old 2009-07-19, 00:10   Link #1517
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSlicerZ View Post
Thanks, for some reason I thought the manga had referreed to them as that before StrikerS. Hmmm, time to go off to put plaster over a plot hole.
I'm not aware they have, but I haven't read them as closely as I might have. Anyone else have confirmation?
Old 2009-07-19, 07:01   Link #1518
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Well, they were refered to as the "young top aces of the Land, Sea and Air" in the StrikerS manga (chapter 1 "A's to StrikerS: Phase 1", page 9. For further details, please check your nearest bookshop or any convenient manga scanlation site) by Shario.

Signature by liro
Old 2009-07-19, 10:06   Link #1519
9taileddemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
Has anyone watched Nanoha, the Abridged Series?
Now I do. :-)

Old 2009-07-19, 10:38   Link #1520
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9taileddemon View Post
Now I do. :-)
Too bad it hasn't updated much since everyone joined TeamFourStar and is doing DBZ abridged.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Closed Thread