AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-08-19, 06:50   Link #61
Thingle
Banned

Judaism, anyone?
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 07:44   Link #62
Stephanie
You can reach for my hand

Send a message via Yahoo to Stephanie
Even if I was born Catholic, at the end of the day I follow God, and that's it.. Same God of Muslims/Jews/Other religion.. Christianity or Roman Catholic is a label, I just want to follow God with all my soul, doesn't matter what religion you are..
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 08:27   Link #63
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I was baptized as a Lutheran Protestant, grew up in a more or less areligious environment and consider myself to be areligious or an Atheist if you wish. I don't believe in gods and my ethical convictions are different from all rellgions I've encountered so far be it in the form they are written down, taught, or practized.
Old 2007-08-19, 08:42   Link #64
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran225 View Post
im a Buddhist though i do sorta believe in christianity because if i dont my friend said ill go to hell so i might as well just to be safe
Now I am not sure if I have right to say this about Christianity but I hate when people say those kind of thing, there was this kid who I knew and I told him I was a Buddhist and he would say he hates Buddhist and I am going to hell. I don't really believe in hell or heaven, but I do think that if there was one I don't think God or Jesus would send people to hell for not being Christan that is just my thought. That concept I never really understand from what I know Jesus preached about love so I don't think I would go to hell for not being Christan this is just my thought though.
Atheuz right now I live in Connecticut but I use to live in New York.
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 08:59   Link #65
mrvetle

Last edited by mrvetle; 2008-07-02 at 20:44.
mrvetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 16:00   Link #66
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by matradley View Post
Seems like there is a high ratio of Atheists/Agnostics. I wonder if this is a high concentration these days in most areas? Not to be direct, I find a lot of Atheists within our group - anime otaku.
Well to answer your question:

yes there are areas with a high concentration of Atheists/Agnostics. Take Seattle WA for example, more than 80% of the people here are Atheists/Agnostics . . .
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 16:23   Link #67
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

I practice islam. I try to pray 5 times a day(edit:if it was 5 times a week It wouldn't be much of problem to do it ), but I miss a lot, because of work and class and doing em all in one go is just too much. I'd say I'm liberal, but on the other hand we don't really have that much rules. Most people tend to mix culture and religion and slap religion on it as whole. Hence some people think arranged is normal in the islam, even though it's forbidden...It's also pretty much stated I could marry someone who is a Christian or a Jew.

Oh yeah just so you know. What science think how the humans came to be is pretty much literally stated in the Quran. We just believe the law of natures was set by Allah(saw).

People into science should try reading the Quran might surprise you how many stuff is the same as modern day science.

Last edited by 2H-Dragon; 2007-08-21 at 06:10. Reason: yah messed somethin up. ty nagato
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 23:05   Link #68
steelbound
Yuki-ism

Don't want to anger anyone or cause any flaming but here goes:

I myself am Roman Catholic of the conservative orthodox viewpoint. I'm not one of those Catholics that pick and choose what parts they want to adhere too and I'd also like to see the Church return at least partly to it's pre-Vatican 2 days in the areas of celebrating the Mass and removing power that the national bishop conferences have. But at the same time I'm not one of those catholics or christians that fear science. Maybe it comes from reading SF from an early age but topics like evolution don't rile me since at most evolution was a tool God used to create the world. I also don't understand how science can really disprove God since science studies the physical world and God is not a physical being.

I am surprised by the number of atheists here. I come from a rusting steel town that attracted European immigrants in the early 20th century so most people are Catholic, fallen-away Catholic that vaguely still believe in God, Orthodox, or from a mainline Protestant church. Outside of college I've only known one Muslim, a few Jews, and no atheists.
Old 2007-08-19, 23:12   Link #69
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I also don't understand how science can really disprove God since science studies the physical world and God is not a physical being.
It's easy: there is no reason to assume the existence of something when there's no actual evidence of it. For science, physical existence is everything. There's no actual need to assume a non-physical world/existence/whatever, because there can't be a physical evidence of it, and science only cares about physical evidence.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 01:40   Link #70
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

Science only cares about physical existence that true. But science doesn't know everything and does a lack of evidence make up for anything. In the end, what matters (on religion anyway) is what you think. Its not like god, if there really is a god, will banish you to hell if you don't believe him. In all religions God supposed to be moral, so even if you don't believe in him, so what he'll just count you on the good things and bad things you did.

But what I want to know is if you don't believe in god, then is there an afterlife for yeah and if so what is it.

P.S. my sister would like to point out that god could also be a chick. Works for me I'm Hindu. But the above is a generalizations of all religions.

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 01:44   Link #71
RealityEX
Professional

Send a message via AIM to RealityEX
gee...religion confuses me more and more everyday
RealityEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 16:58   Link #72
Irwin1138
Tri Zába

Well I dont have any religion, but I always liked Buddhism for its peaceful teachings. Maybe Ill be a buddhist some day 8)
Irwin1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 17:22   Link #73
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Science only cares about physical existence that true. But science doesn't know everything and does a lack of evidence make up for anything.

Quote:
But what I want to know is if you don't believe in god, then is there an afterlife for yeah and if so what is it.
I don't know, why should I think about afterlife? Is it really relevant to my everyday existence? Afterlife is something incomprehensible because all our comprehension is based on life. Whether there is an afterlife or it's eternal nothingness from that point onwards, I see no reason why it should affect my way of acting.

I also think there's some sort of fear in the idea of eternal nothingness (since it's something completely unmeasurable, incomprehensible by any means) that pushes people towards denying there can't be anything after it. The idea of an almighty being granting you eternal life after death is obviously comforting. We non-religious people just have to deal with the idea that we don't know what's waiting for us. I just look at the positive side--when nearing the end of my life, I know I'll have a huge curiosity for what is waiting for me after I take my last breath

Old 2007-08-20, 17:31   Link #74
Midorii
Airborne Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvetle View Post
Atheist, logic and science tells me there's no god.
A lot of scientists that gone far on their investigation got to the point where science is not the reason/answer.

I was about to become atheist, but now i believe there is a creator. I don't know if he loves me, if he knows me, or if he forgives me, and i wont especulate about it. So, just a creator.
Midorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 17:50   Link #75
Kyomi
What do I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin1138 View Post
Well I dont have any religion, but I always liked Buddhism for its peaceful teachings. Maybe Ill be a buddhist some day 8)
I am far from believing in pretty much anything, including Buddah, god or any entity, but I'll have to agree that if I had to pick one I would probably go that way myself, as said, the teachings and the moral code seems to suit me best. Just do whatever the hell you want as long you don't get in other peoples way >.>
Kyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 22:22   Link #76
Spark

I would consider myself a christian, although I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a very good one. I'm not really a big fan of church or stuff like that. I believe that you can practice your religion on your own terms - you don't necessarily need to be in a group of people to be religious. So I like to say that I believe in God and in a Savior, but I don't necessarily follow the teachings of a certain denomination per say.

This would be a great topic for a poll. :3
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 22:44   Link #77
Nagato
幻想郷

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
It's easy: there is no reason to assume the existence of something when there's no actual evidence of it. For science, physical existence is everything. There's no actual need to assume a non-physical world/existence/whatever, because there can't be a physical evidence of it, and science only cares about physical evidence.
They should stop talking about physical existence/evidence/whatever when they still base their physical theory on a mere assumption in every here and there.

They talk about big bang as the beginning of the universe. "It's the nothingness in the beginning then born the point particle then then then." But, They'll never can answer how the point particle born. Why G=6.67300 × 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2; why gravitational force is far weaker than electrical force, about the amount of water on this planet or the composition of the atmosphere. Why there's only two genders, man and woman, etc, etc.

Now they are searching for the "lost pieces of chain" for their evolution theory, that will never would be found coz they don't exist. Oh, so Human born from the Methane, etc etc "Compiled" by coincidences in the Journey of it's evolution??.

The existence of yourselves, this beautiful world is the Evidence that There IS who Manage this world, never fall asleep even for one moment. After all, Human have, not only brain but heart.

Spoiler for My Pray:

There's too many phenomena science can't explain to mention.

@ 2H-Dragon, I'm sure you meant 5 times a DAY.
Good luck

Salam from The Land of Sakura for all of you brothers and sisters.
Old 2007-08-20, 23:04   Link #78
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

I'm an agnostic.

I don't really believe in any of the major religions, but I won't necessarily rule out certain elements of their beliefs. The whole creationism, singular god type thing is hard for me to swallow, but general teachings of some religions are fine and dandy, I think. But that's more just... well, common sense and general social values, I guess.

As for actual gods... eh. As I said, I don't believe in creationism, but something like Shinto, where there are countless gods for every little thing, that kinda deal may be passable to me. More spiritual sort of respect for the land, trees, rivers, lakes, mountains etc. But only as a vague concept.
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 23:38   Link #79
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

@Nagato.

Science explains how, not why.

Old 2007-08-21, 00:35   Link #80
P.G.
Rated P.G. Superstar

Send a message via MSN to P.G.
Just an ordinary born again christian ^_^
P.G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion