AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-09-26, 12:48   Link #5701
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

When I was younger, I was okay with the Confederate flag in the historical aspect - it marked an important part of history in the way of state's rights (much like many other flags in history). Problem is I feel like it's original meaning has been co-opted entire by white supremacists and other racists (somewhat like the religious symbol the swastika (Buddhist, American Indian, etc) was hijacked by the Nazis).

She can fly her flag but I'm going to have to call her insensitive and possibly quite stupid. And I just noticed Ithekro just explained it quite eloquently so yeah, read his post above.

(this reminds me of people who get thumped for wearing a Nazi or KKK outfit for Halloween... aren't you SUPPOSED to wear something scary for Halloween? )
Old 2011-09-26, 14:02   Link #5702
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Makes me wonder what modern or recent symbolism will be like these two in the future. Whle Islamic symbolism has been around for ages, it means different things to different people. It also gets new symbols over time. The Green flag of Libya for instance over the tri-color of the Arab Republic (I think that is what is was...the black, white, and red).

Also I wonder about the future symbolism of Soviet designs. I don't know if they have any bans on it anywhere on the planet, but it too means many things to many people. And unlike the Confederates or Nazis...Soviet Russia was around for a long time. 70 or more years. That is two full generations, Maybe even three and almost four depending on how you define a generation. The other two were short relative to that. Four years for the Confederate State of America and about 12 years for Nazi Germany. Far less than even one generation. But they both made their marks on history.
Old 2011-09-26, 14:24   Link #5703
Sides

Coffee powered car set new speed record for gasification-powered vehicle, source extremetech.com, more info on bbc.co.uk.
I'm not sure if they have actually broken the record. But nevertheless quite interesting, some times we have to look at old ideas and combine it with current tech to find new solutions.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 14:46   Link #5704
AnimeFan188

Nano car bursts into flames in India

"India's Tata Motors launched an inquiry on Monday after another of its Nano
hatchbacks -- billed as the world's cheapest car -- caught fire in unexplained
circumstances."

"Last year, the firm was forced to offer free safety upgrades after several Nanos
caught fire in various incidents, but it has always maintained that the car has no
safety problems."

See:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...68ed0754b7.381
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 17:51   Link #5705
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Makes me wonder what modern or recent symbolism will be like these two in the future. Whle Islamic symbolism has been around for ages, it means different things to different people. It also gets new symbols over time. The Green flag of Libya for instance over the tri-color of the Arab Republic (I think that is what is was...the black, white, and red).

Also I wonder about the future symbolism of Soviet designs. I don't know if they have any bans on it anywhere on the planet, but it too means many things to many people. And unlike the Confederates or Nazis...Soviet Russia was around for a long time. 70 or more years. That is two full generations, Maybe even three and almost four depending on how you define a generation. The other two were short relative to that. Four years for the Confederate State of America and about 12 years for Nazi Germany. Far less than even one generation. But they both made their marks on history.
That's an interesting remark on the Soviet symbols... I can't recall *anyone* being "offended" by its use for various activities. OTOH.. . I know *every damned time* I show someone a map of Japan I have to explain all those little swastikas on the map (denoting religious spots)... damned symbol-stealing nazis.
Old 2011-09-26, 19:19   Link #5706
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I know *every damned time* I show someone a map of Japan I have to explain all those little swastikas on the map (denoting religious spots)... damned symbol-stealing nazis.
The swastika connection is pretty well ingrained. When I was looking at a travel book for South Korea and I saw the symbols I did a double-take at first, then realised it must have meant something else, followed by my searching the book for the map key (which was on the last page). I had to explain the religious site connection to my friend the next day when I showed him the map.

Last edited by Fahd; 2011-09-28 at 14:14.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 19:22   Link #5707
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Pinker: Why Humans Are Getting Nicer

Quote:
With all its wars, murder and genocide, history might suggest that the taste for blood is human nature. Not so, argues Harvard Prof. Steven Pinker. He talks to WSJ's Gary Rosen about the decline in violence in recent decades and his new book, "The Better Angels of Our Nature."
Yes! The world has become a nicer place! Now let's keep it this way, okay?

Or I'll make you do so....

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 22:22   Link #5708
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Offenders in Alabama town can choose jail or church
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-23-09-42-09
Probably not such bad idea.
Old 2011-09-26, 23:15   Link #5709
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Offenders in Alabama town can choose jail or church
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-23-09-42-09
Probably not such bad idea.
Is the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster a Option?
Old 2011-09-26, 23:35   Link #5710
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Is the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster a Option?
That a interesting question.
Another one; What happen if the sentenced is a muslim ?
Old 2011-09-27, 00:07   Link #5711
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
That a interesting question.
Another one; What happen if the sentenced is a muslim ?
In that part of the country, there's only one meaning to "church" and it ain't 'buddhist', 'muslim', or likely even 'catholic'. Yeah, this will get shot down by the upper courts.. but in the duration it'll waste a lot of money.
Old 2011-09-27, 02:12   Link #5712
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Link

Remains of witchhunt discovered in Tuscany Italy. I can't help but be fascinated by this. Feel like going there.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 06:05   Link #5713
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That's an interesting remark on the Soviet symbols... I can't recall *anyone* being "offended" by its use for various activities. OTOH.. . I know *every damned time* I show someone a map of Japan I have to explain all those little swastikas on the map (denoting religious spots)... damned symbol-stealing nazis.
Possibly the countries that were conquered by the Soviet Union during Stalin's regime. I remember watching a documentary how the Soviets and Nazis were working together in eliminating their enemies and "undesirables" before Germany betrayed and invaded Russia.

The survivors of those Soviet purges have bitter memories about it not only because of what they suffered but the fact the Soviets got away scott free on what they done after WW2.
Old 2011-09-27, 06:24   Link #5714
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

It's interesting really, from my perspective, that out of the 3 Axis powers, only the Nazis seem to have any "lasting" effect, in the sense that it is still a very sensitive issue to a large portion of people, including the present-day Germans themselves.

No one really seems to give a damn about the Axis Italians anymore. It's always Nazis this, Nazis that, and a sprinkle of Axis Japanese. Japan's involvement in WW2 is still a sensitive issue in East Asia, but it is largely overshadowed by their modern contributions to society at large. Say the word Japan, and people are more likely to think of anime, eccentricism, and robots. Say the word German however, and quite a fair bit of people will still conjure imagery of Nazis, other than German Engineering , Beer and Sausages.

As for Soviet Russia... in my opinion, it's becoming a comedic meme. Yes, yes... I know a lot of terrible things happened during those times, but to the modern person, say Russia and he/she will probably think of Vodka, the Space Race, and bad generic villains in video games.

I'm only being half-serious here, but I think people need to stop glorifying the evil of the Nazis (to the point where I don't even blink anymore if I see a literal baby-eating Nazi Zombie in a story), or the poor present-day Germans will never get to remove the stigma.

Cheers.
Old 2011-09-27, 07:08   Link #5715
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
It's interesting really, from my perspective, that out of the 3 Axis powers, only the Nazis seem to have any "lasting" effect, in the sense that it is still a very sensitive issue to a large portion of people, including the present-day Germans themselves.

No one really seems to give a damn about the Axis Italians anymore. It's always Nazis this, Nazis that, and a sprinkle of Axis Japanese. Japan's involvement in WW2 is still a sensitive issue in East Asia, but it is largely overshadowed by their modern contributions to society at large. Say the word Japan, and people are more likely to think of anime, eccentricism, and robots. Say the word German however, and quite a fair bit of people will still conjure imagery of Nazis, other than German Engineering , Beer and Sausages.

As for Soviet Russia... in my opinion, it's becoming a comedic meme. Yes, yes... I know a lot of terrible things happened during those times, but to the modern person, say Russia and he/she will probably think of Vodka, the Space Race, and bad generic villains in video games.

I'm only being half-serious here, but I think people need to stop glorifying the evil of the Nazis (to the point where I don't even blink anymore if I see a literal baby-eating Nazi Zombie in a story), or the poor present-day Germans will never get to remove the stigma.

Cheers.
Just ask the Germans to brew more beer. When everyone is drunk, everyone is friend.

Cheers.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 07:58   Link #5716
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Arkansas man accused of asking to suck women's toes.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-26-21-45-06

Edit, not really a ''news'' but still interesting: Stupid travel complaints
http://www.thestar.com/travel/articl...vel-complaints
I am so glad than I am not in direct contact with tourist.

Last edited by ganbaru; 2011-09-27 at 15:16.
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 15:17   Link #5717
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
"Primary School Girls Are Great" T-shirt cancelled.
Old 2011-09-27, 17:11   Link #5718
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

Cheers.
Well, people still talk about fascists. They've just kind of forgotten where they came from, geographically speaking.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 19:38   Link #5719
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
One of the pioneers of Holocaust history once wrote something along the effects of: the Nazis have got all of you hoodwinked with images of total efficiency and military supremacy, screw you bitches.

Well, that last part was my embellishment. He was actually saying something more on the side of, we should never, ever forget that there are people in the cogs of the machine carrying out the tasks necessary to commit those crimes, and moreover that the Nazi state was anything but efficient. The study of the subtler, complex truth behind this overwhelmingly dominant image ought to be the duty of every Holocaust history. Thou shall not believe propaganda even if it has been reinterpreted negatively.

And, by the way, he was actually writing on the Reichsbahn.

Forty years after his words and the Nazis are still synonymous with efficiency and industrial inhumanity...and Germans...not to mention sporting sexy leathers and making Japanese mangaka go nuts. Riefenstahl was truly a dangerous woman. :P

Alternatively, you can just blame it on the British and the Americans. The Americans have Normandy, Normandy, and Normandy, occasionally Bastille. The British are completely obsessed with the Empire's Most Glorious Hour and every year there are at least a dozen if not far more books on Nazis, the British Empire fighting Nazis, and more Nazis, providing steady livelihood to generations of publishers and nonfiction authors. (The French on the other hand are too busy discussing La Resistance and Collaboration.)
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 08:02   Link #5720
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

US fugitive hid in Portugal hamlet
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-28-08-36-32

Tags
humor