AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-05-16, 21:34   Link #3281
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
I think the only reason why Yang Guo and Dragon Girl could have a relationship is because their ages weren't that far apart. Normally most Master-student relationships have a larger age gap, but not with Shigure.
Yeah, normally the masters in those Chinese Wuxia stuff are OOOOLD men with long white beards.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 22:02   Link #3282
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
I think the only reason why Yang Guo and Dragon Girl could have a relationship is because their ages weren't that far apart. Normally most Master-student relationships have a larger age gap, but not with Shigure.
No, it was a clear taboo in the world of martial arts. Master and student was basically simlar to parent and child apparently. It was why both of them wanted to escape and leave that world behind.

In the novel, Xiao Long Nu (Dragon Girl) looks younger than her age—even more younger looking than Yang Guo, and she's only older by 4 years.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 22:34   Link #3283
Wargumm1i
Hentai

The diffrence between Kenichi and shigure is 6 years. Though people should know that.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 11:37   Link #3284
maxikki

But on the manga the auhtir doesn't say the age of shigure, but I guess she should be around the age of 22. I think she has a broher complex, similar to honoka. Does anyone has any info about this week's chapter? I cant waitto see kenichi in Okinawa, I feel that he is going to meet someone there. Do u guys think that godhand will get a new disciple? I think he should, because he has to regain his honor.
maxikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 14:27   Link #3285
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
The diffrence between Kenichi and shigure is 6 years. Though people should know that.
Less than that, Shigure is 19 at the beginning of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
No, it was a clear taboo in the world of martial arts. Master and student was basically simlar to parent and child apparently. It was why both of them wanted to escape and leave that world behind.

In the novel, Xiao Long Nu (Dragon Girl) looks younger than her age—even more younger looking than Yang Guo, and she's only older by 4 years.
Actually a Studen + Master relationship has to be removed from a parent + child relationship so that the arts can be trained properly. If paternal love was involved there would be complications.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 15:01   Link #3286
moeman

Actually I hardly see female masters train male students in the martial arts. Usually it is passed down from an elder man to an a younger male student. Usually the father passes his martial art to his sons. Very rarely do fathers teach their daughters unless they don't have any sons to pass it down to.
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 16:27   Link #3287
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman View Post
Actually I hardly see female masters train male students in the martial arts. Usually it is passed down from an elder man to an a younger male student. Usually the father passes his martial art to his sons. Very rarely do fathers teach their daughters unless they don't have any sons to pass it down to.
Thats true, but we dont have too worry, since Shigure will teach Kenichi in different ways
Old 2010-05-17, 16:45   Link #3288
Iron21

Where did y'all get the masters ages from? They never mention ages in the manga from what I recall.
Iron21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 16:51   Link #3289
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron21 View Post
Where did y'all get the masters ages from? They never mention ages in the manga from what I recall.
They did. Just did it a few times, If im not right didint they just announce it again few chapters ago?
Old 2010-05-17, 16:55   Link #3290
cyberdemon

Quote:
They did. Just did it a few times, If im not right didint they just announce it again few chapters ago?
yeah can't remember the exact ages but Kensei is like 41, Apachai and Sakaki are like 28/29, Akisame is 35-40, and Shigure is like 22/23
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 17:03   Link #3291
Iron21

Quote:
They did?

I can't remember at all.
Old 2010-05-17, 17:08   Link #3292
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Less than that, Shigure is 19 at the beginning of the series.
So she's 20/21 now? >:] go Kenichi gooooo!
Old 2010-05-17, 17:47   Link #3293
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Actually a Studen + Master relationship has to be removed from a parent + child relationship so that the arts can be trained properly. If paternal love was involved there would be complications.
I think it's not exactly parental love per se, but the dynamic is one that is comparable or valued as one between parent and child. The master/shifu is one who 'raises' and 'nurtures' the student. In the manga, this is best explained by one of the masters (I think the Elder?) who says that the master is there to push the disciple down the pit of hell and waits right down below for him to hit the bottom. If one's father was murdered, there was a moral imperative to seek justice for that crime, similar to the imperative of the student to avenge his murdered master. So on, and so forth.

It's not a form of parental love, but rather there lies a parental aspect in the relationship between master and student that makes it taboo for romance of any sort. Of course, this is just coming from a (very popular) wuxia novel, so who knows how accurate it really is, but with wuxia being basically a genre of kung fu chivalry fiction, I'd thought I would point it out as part of the discussion.

Anyway, like we already have said, such a view really doesn't matter in Kenichi's time, the present. And even if Shigure is older by a few years, who cares? Personally, an older woman falling for a younger man is pretty normal to me.

Quote:
Thats true, but we dont have too worry, since Shigure will teach Kenichi in different ways
Ok, here's a question I've always wanted to ask... Just what is Shigure really teaching anyway? Kenichi isn't using any weapons, and we don't even see Shigure teaching him in the usage of one. She's like a sparring partner or something, someone who's just there to spar against him as a weapon user. Does she teach him how to defend against weapon users, perhaps? If she does, the manga should be showing this more often.

Well, she taught him how to swim... but what else does she teach?

Last edited by kujoe; 2010-05-17 at 18:05.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 18:15   Link #3294
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I think it's not exactly parental love per se, but the dynamic is one that is comparable or valued as one between parent and child. The master/shifu is one who 'raises' and 'nurtures' the student. In the manga, this is best explained by one of the masters (I think the Elder?) who says that the master is there to push the disciple down the pit of hell and waits right down below for him to hit the bottom. If one's father was murdered, there was a moral imperative to seek justice for that crime, similar to the imperative of the student to avenge his murdered master. So on, and so forth.

It's not a form of parental love, but rather there lies a parental aspect in the relationship between master and student that makes it taboo for romance of any sort. Of course, this is just coming from a (very popular) wuxia novel, so who knows how accurate it really is, but with wuxia being basically a genre of kung fu chivalry fiction, I'd thought I would point it out as part of the discussion.

Anyway, like we already have said, such a view really doesn't matter in Kenichi's time, the present. And even if Shigure is older by a few years, who cares? Personally, an older woman falling for a younger man is pretty normal to me.

Ok, here's a question I've always wanted to ask... Just what is Shigure really teaching anyway? Kenichi isn't using any weapons, and we don't even see Shigure teaching him in the usage of one. She's like a sparring partner or something, someone who's just there to spar against him as a weapon user. Does she teach him how to defend against weapon users, perhaps? If she does, the manga should be showing this more often.

Well, she taught him how to swim... but what else does she teach?
...................................Ecchi things if you have seen the Doujin. Lol nah just joking, she has taught him many things well some that havent bin seen, she did teach him however too turn his fear into a weapon.
Old 2010-05-17, 18:19   Link #3295
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

The only thing Shigure has trained Kenichi in is how to deal with fighting against weapons. Like how to disarm a person.

About ages, the masters ages were mentioned a few times over the years in those profile pages. It's been about a year and a half since Kenichi started training. Shigure at the time was 19, around 20 ~ 21 now. Apachai was 27 now 28~29. The others I don't remember quite well.

Shigure likes Kenichi, so... it's no point in arguing over it, we all know if Kenichi is ending up with anyone it's Miu.
Old 2010-05-17, 18:41   Link #3296
Iron21

I seriously can not remember the chapters that mention the masters ages.

I'm losing it trying to find them, maybe I should stop before I go crazy.
Old 2010-05-17, 18:49   Link #3297
moeman

Quote:
The only thing Shigure has trained Kenichi in is how to deal with fighting against weapons. Like how to disarm a person.

About ages, the masters ages were mentioned a few times over the years in those profile pages. It's been about a year and a half since Kenichi started training. Shigure at the time was 19, around 20 ~ 21 now. Apachai was 27 now 28~29. The others I don't remember quite well.

Shigure likes Kenichi, so... it's no point in arguing over it, we all know if Kenichi is ending up with anyone it's Miu.
We all know where Kenichi is going to be destined with, but the ride to get there will hopefully be bumpy, dead ends, and wrong ways. If u know what I mean!!!
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 18:56   Link #3298
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman View Post
We all know where Kenichi is going to be destined with, but the ride to get there will hopefully be bumpy, dead ends, and wrong ways. If u know what I mean!!!
Renka would be more likely to get in the way than Shigure. More than anything, I bet Shigure would help Kenichi and Miu get together, like that time she read Miu's dairy aloud about how Miu wants to get married when Kenichi was right there.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 19:22   Link #3299
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I think Shigure is the biggest rival... Kenichi seems to "like" Shigure as well, Renka and the other girls are just kind of a once in awhile nuisance to Miu. While Shigure lives with them.
Old 2010-05-18, 09:24   Link #3300
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
I think Shigure is the biggest rival... Kenichi seems to "like" Shigure as well, Renka and the other girls are just kind of a once in awhile nuisance to Miu. While Shigure lives with them.
And she doesn't mind being naked around him.

Tags
shounen