AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2014-04-22, 01:50   Link #1
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Question Slim PS3 HDD Upgrade Question

I was just wondering if it would be worth it for me to pay extra for a 7200 RPM HDD, or am I better off just grabbing a 5400 RPM HDD?

Note: I rarely download/install anything from PSN (prefer physical/retail copies whenever possible).
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-22, 09:05   Link #2
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Originally, it wasn't advisable to use a 7200RPM hard drive in a PS3 as it generates more heat, but (from what I've heard) current gen 7200RPM hard drives don't have that problem (although you have to make sure the hard drive in question is no more then 9.5mm high as anything higher won't fit).

If you're looking to get a 7200RPM hard drive for a decrease in loading times on items on the hard drive (there are physical disc games that have mandatory installs) then the gains would most likely be barely noticeable.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-22, 12:55   Link #3
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Originally, it wasn't advisable to use a 7200RPM hard drive in a PS3 as it generates more heat, but (from what I've heard) current gen 7200RPM hard drives don't have that problem (although you have to make sure the hard drive in question is no more then 9.5mm high as anything higher won't fit).

If you're looking to get a 7200RPM hard drive for a decrease in loading times on items on the hard drive (there are physical disc games that have mandatory installs) then the gains would most likely be barely noticeable.
Thanks demonix. I guess I'll just stick to buying the Toshiba 1TB 5400 RPM HDD I saw on Amazon for $60 New.
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote