AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-12-18, 09:37   Link #1781
Arturro

@KLGChaos - At first I was thinking that author is trying to show us how Zenkichi life is screwed just because he is trying to be with Medaka. That he stopped believing in himsefl, because Medaka is out of his league, as well as rest of people around him (Akune for example). If done in a good way readers should sympathise with Zenkihi. Instead we see a supersayan Medaka and a pathetic, unimportant lapdog. Readers doesn't care about him anymore or even loathe him.

Same going with Medaka. I expected Medaka will be portrayed as exceptional girl, who feels alone because she is different from other people, idolized instead of liked. Trying to find a friend and a lover, but being unable to notice Zenkichi feelings because lack of her social skills. Instead we see supersayan girl, who sometimes told us (or someone else it talking about her) that she feels alone. But it's never show that she is alone! So we have a god mode sue without any traits which could make her a likeable character.

I also dislike whole flask plan plot, it's plain stupid for me, but as I've said before - I'm not a shounen anymore, and maybe shounen readers like such plots (bleach and naruto popularity might indicate that supernatural battle manga is a favorite genere for shounens).

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 13:59   Link #1782
Kunagisa

Spoiler for 32:

I'm hoping it's like the order of entry = order of fight, so the girl whose name I still can't remember will fight this guy next. Remember there are 6, so possible out comes:

1. Medaka downs all 6.
2. Medaka downs 3, one of each of the other three.
3. Medaka, Akune, and girl each down 2, Zen does nothing.
4. Medaka downs 2, 3 of each for the other 3, and one of the 13 seniors defect (little dude with the mask doesn't look that evil @__@).

Rest are variation of that. Don't think there's a problem as long as Medaka doesn't tank it the whole way, also keep in mind they don't all have to be fist fights ... I think. I care less personally as long as Zen has significant contribution to downing the king.

EDIT: Apparently I missed one of the random senior 13s that got one shotted in an early chapter, and Unzen is already beaten, but might be other senior 13s floating around (pretty sure there aren't though, but they never said the total number).

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2009-12-24 at 23:54. Reason: forgot to finish thought
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 14:27   Link #1783
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I think there are 100 people in Class 13, including Medaka herself, and then 13 people in the 13 Party (12 since Unzen is hurt and Medaka declined taking his place).

I think the little dude with the mask is a girl.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 14:57   Link #1784
Wrath88
Kissing...

^Didn't Zen realize that when she stopped him from hitting that King guy?
Old 2009-12-18, 14:58   Link #1785
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Spoiler for 32:

I'm hoping it's like the order of entry = order of fight, so the girl whose name I still can't remember will fight this guy next. Remember there are 6, so possible out comes:

1. Medaka downs all 6.
2. Medaka downs 3, one of each of the other three.
3. Medaka, Akune, and girl each down 2, Zen does nothing.
4. Medaka downs 2, 3 of each for the other 3, and one of the 13 seniors defect (little dude with the mask doesn't look that evil @__@).

Rest are variation of that. Don't think there's a problem as long as Medaka doesn't tank it the whole way, also keep in mind they don't all have to be fist fights ... I think. I care less personally as long as Zen has significant contribution to downing the king.

EDIT: Apparently I missed one of the random senior 13s that got one shotted in an early chapter, and Unzen is already beaten, but might be other senior 13s floating around (pretty sure there aren't though, but they never said the total number).
Yeah, it'd be nice for Zen to actually do something for once other than stand around watching and going "Oh my god, everyone's insane!" I'd even take Kikaijima or Akine doing something on their own... Especially if it's something Medaka couldn't do (though, I don't think that possible unless it involves going near animals).

Zen does appear to be pretty insightful, though. In chapter 31, where Hard Wrapping explains that Medaka has no reflexes and has total control of all her muscles, Zen notes that it seems like all the members of the flask plan seem to have parts that Medaka lacks. Hard Wrapping is all reflex, Medaka none. Unzen hates everyone, Medaka loves everyone. Not really sure how this applies to King, though. They both seem pretty arrogant, self-assured and dominating of others to me. If we get some tired old story about how each of the members of 13 are part of some great super-being that was split apart, I may puke. -_- But I can just picture Zen actually being an abnormal, too. The part he has that others don't is sanity. And as I mentioned before in my previous post, he definitely is the opposite of Medaka when it comes to motivation.

We also get more of Medaka denying her existence and saying she's normal. I have to say Nishio is really stretching that one. Anyone and their mother can tell she's not normal by any means. Her self denial at first was a nice developement, but now it feels a bit contrived, especially as the things she does gets more and more outlandish.

Edit now that chapter 32's translation is out:

After reading chapter 32's translation, I'm sort of torn on whether I like it or not.

Spoiler:

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-21 at 14:50.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 18:20   Link #1786
ZODDGUTS

New Rankings:

Quote:

Issue 5/6 bottom 5:
Rilienthal
Neko Wappa
Hokenshitsu
Medaka
Ane Dokii

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=243
It's going to be one long battle between Ane Dokii and Medaka in not being in last place.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 19:00   Link #1787
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
New Rankings:

It's going to be one long battle between Ane Dokii and Medaka in not being in last place.
Pretty sure Ane Doki is going to end soon if the current plot developments continue.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 20:49   Link #1788
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Spoiler:
I'm surprised you didn't come to the conclusion yourself, you kinda touched upon it, but I think the plan is to make Medaka even more perfect so that she's isolated from the normals, or at least get her to realize that she herself isn't normal, that way she'll join the 13, or something along those lines.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 21:41   Link #1789
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

/rambling

HW said he was one of the stronger abnormals there, and if we can trust what he says then that means most/everyone else will be weaker, so maybe the others will have a chance to fight. I don't really see Medaka doing too much without at least resting for a little bit. I don't want to see Kikaijima fight though. I'll be annoyed if she gets hurt.

Spoiler:
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 23:37   Link #1790
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
I'm surprised you didn't come to the conclusion yourself, you kinda touched upon it, but I think the plan is to make Medaka even more perfect so that she's isolated from the normals, or at least get her to realize that she herself isn't normal, that way she'll join the 13, or something along those lines.
Yeah, I figured that was kind of the plan, but still. I'd rather not go through another 30 chapters of them fighting every member of the 13 just to make it happen. I know that's typical shounen, but it's also boring, considering as I said, I'm not a big fan of Medaka herself and the focus has been so much on her, that it makes it even more boring.

In contrast, the development of Zenkichi has been so slow, that it's become annoying as well.

I suppose if I actually liked the character of Medaka it wouldn't be so bad, but I really can't stand her, because her type of character naturally hurts the images of the characters around her (just look at all the Zen is weak and pathetic posts and you'll see what I mean).

Normally, as much as I dislike overpowered characters in a manga where fighting is involved, it's usually not that alone that turns me off to a character. It's when those powers are constantly displayed that I start to grow bored. On top of that, Medaka is the focus of the mana, but you can't relate to her, which is never good, even if it is the author's intent to alienate her from the viewers as well. Combine this with her personality of being arrogant, tyrannical and hypocritical, and her attitude of "I live for others", which sounds like something someone with ulterior motives would say (Medaka may have them-- to be accepted by people as normal), and you have a character that is very hard for me to like. Heck, her abilities bother much less than her personality. If she didn't act the way she does, maybe she would have people more accepting of her. But for me, I always feel like she's looking down on people with the way she tries to make them see her way of doing things, even using force if necessary. That, again, is probably attributed to the fact that the mangaka has done little to make us sympathize with the character.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-22 at 09:08.
Old 2009-12-24, 21:50   Link #1791
Sol Falling

Having just read 32, I kinda need to ask: wasn't that...awesome? Hard Wrapping is nowhere near as cute as Unzen, but over the course of a single chapter he's easily become just as relatable and sympathetic. Rather than a stereotyped unstoppable antagonist who threatens to crush the others while Medaka is down, he can barely stand on his feet, indeed only does so out of sheer joy, out of desperation for just a moment longer with another person by whom he can be touched. Is Medaka stealing the 'spotlight'? Hogging all the action by being the perfect heroine who always saves everybody by the sheer infinity of her abilities? Or is she similarly sympathetic here, acting not as any vapid avatar of justice but rather indulging, both herself and one other, on a deep and personal level, a rare, transient joy? Can anybody really regret that it was Medaka who stood there? Insofar as this story is her story, can anybody deny that there is something there worth to tell?

I am continually surprised by how much better this manga is than people tell me so. Relatedly, the sword guy next chapter is, consistent with Hard Wrapping's statements, nowhere comparable in strength. His sole outstanding attribute thus far is that he is a mass murderer, and these facts combined place the other members of the student council simultaneously at center stage and at great risk. Maybe (??? okay, I'm not going to reject the possibility) I am going to be trolled just like chapter 17, but thus far I do have some hope Nishio will actually follow through with this. Have some hope, guys. This manga has consistently defied this topics overwhelming despair and negative commentary. I don't think we have to worry about 30 dragged on chapters of 'typical shounen', it seems entirely clear to me now that there will be something interesting in whatever Nishio has next to say.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2009-12-24 at 23:45.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 22:28   Link #1792
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

I honestly must say that this one of the best chapters in the series. Easily could relate and understand how Takachiho felt and what drove him as a character without wasting 3 chapters on a flashback to do it.

Even more interesting is the fact that both he and Medaka ended up growing as people and as combatants in this bout. Definitely nice to see abnormals aren't all on the same level and can actually still grow despite their already abnormal abilities. The other point of interest is that Takachiho "awakened" much like Maguro did. It also means that several people could still be dormant abnormals.

Anyway, this chapter was very well done. The chairman could shape up to be a more interesting antagonist as well. Considering what he said about abnormals, I'm actually interested in how he ended up manipulating persuading the other members of the 13 Party to join.

Last edited by Rejuvenation; 2009-12-24 at 23:00.
Rejuvenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 23:35   Link #1793
Wrath88
Kissing...

Yes, this is one of the few chapters that makes up for all the previous ones. The classification of the students as abnormals, specials, and normals shows nothing about their personality... though Medaka is still an exception.

How does a high school kid become a mass murderer and still stay free? Flask plan supporters pull strings?
Old 2009-12-25, 01:32   Link #1794
mammothb

yet, the say the mass murderer is weaker than the reflex guy? hmmmm
mammothb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 07:07   Link #1795
Lummie

OMG WTF ZEN IS ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING IN CHAPTER 33!!!!

He's gonna fight the mass murderer in a one on one battle lol
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 07:28   Link #1796
Wrath88
Kissing...

well, what if the guy was only a little bit weaker... damaged Medaka won't be able to take him down, right?
Old 2009-12-25, 09:20   Link #1797
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
well, what if the guy was only a little bit weaker... damaged Medaka won't be able to take him down, right?
You forget, Medaka has Wolverine's healing factor. After the Unzen fight, she had several displaced organs and broken bones-- but was fine by the next chapter. And her various fights where she was bleeding profusely after being hit, the blood was gone in a few pages. Of course, no one can accuse Nishio of being consistent and that could be more of the artist just failing to carry over battle damage.

Downloading 33 now to look at the RAWs... I wasn't expecting to see them this week due to the holiday, but maybe it's next week that won't be out?

Spoiler:

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-25 at 09:31.
Old 2009-12-25, 10:33   Link #1798
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Spoiler for Ch. 33 Raw:
Rejuvenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 14:57   Link #1799
Lummie

I wanted to point something out which is kinda unrealistic, even in the world of Medaka Box.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Lummie; 2009-12-25 at 16:30.
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 15:57   Link #1800
KLGChaos
The Shermain

You may want to put you post in spoiler tags before someone who doesn't want to be spoiled sees it.

In repsonse:
Spoiler:

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council