AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

Old 2011-05-01, 21:52   Link #641
broken270
Defying gravity

Spoiler:
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 22:06   Link #642
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I'm actually of the opinion that Jintan is right all along, that the Menma he sees is a reflection of his subconscious. He subconsciously wants to play Nokemon? (for reasons other than playing the game in of itself, of course) Menma 'wishes' it to be so. He subconsciously is obligated to go to school? Menma tells him that might be her wish. Menma wants crab sausages? Jintan takes it first without a thought. And so on and so forth.

Of course I might be wrong, but for now this is the one I'll go with, since Jintan himself acknowledges it as such. One less thing I need to think about and just enjoy the emotion and atmosphere of the show. I mean, I really don't think the point of the show is to figure stuff like what Menma really is, right?

Not that anything is wrong to wonder such things. It's just I personally don't like to dwell on these small details as I really don't think it will be explained in great detail in the end, so I just go with the most simplest explanation.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 22:33   Link #643
Mr.Garfield

And he subconsciously wants to come visit Menma house, thus she went to her house without him.
Mr.Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 22:34   Link #644
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I'm actually of the opinion that Jintan is right all along, that the Menma he sees is a reflection of his subconscious. He subconsciously wants to play Nokemon? (for reasons other than playing the game in of itself, of course) Menma 'wishes' it to be so. He subconsciously is obligated to go to school? Menma tells him that might be her wish. Menma wants crab sausages? Jintan takes it first without a thought. And so on and so forth.

Of course I might be wrong, but for now this is the one I'll go with, since Jintan himself acknowledges it as such. One less thing I need to think about and just enjoy the emotion and atmosphere of the show. I mean, I really don't think the point of the show is to figure stuff like what Menma really is, right?

Not that anything is wrong to wonder such things. It's just I personally don't like to dwell on these small details as I really don't think it will be explained in great detail in the end, so I just go with the most simplest explanation.
Do agree that sometimes getting tied up in trying to figure everything out isn't always fun. Though since that doesn't really explain everything I'm not sure if it's the simplest. The fact that Menma affects things that aren't near Jinta kind of hurts the theory. Isn't it far simpler to just say she's a ghost and accept that?
Old 2011-05-02, 02:12   Link #645
Tu101uk
~ Episode of Side A ~

The website version of the preview of the next episode is out... :3 Unlike last week's one, it's made up mostly of different scenes to the TV version.

http://www.anohana.jp/story/04.html

Spoiler for Episode 4 Preview:
O-O~

~ Current Season Favourites... :: Ano Natsu de Matteru / Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! / Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou ~
Tu101uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 04:15   Link #646
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Why must the OP single be on the 15th of June and not sooner ;_;
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 09:32   Link #647
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Do agree that sometimes getting tied up in trying to figure everything out isn't always fun. Though since that doesn't really explain everything I'm not sure if it's the simplest. The fact that Menma affects things that aren't near Jinta kind of hurts the theory. Isn't it far simpler to just say she's a ghost and accept that?
Well, then you'd have to go in that whole train of thought as to why Menma decides to haunt Jintan NOW, like at least half a decade later after her death.

I find it easier to think that Menma visiting her house in episode 1 and crying was what happened to Jintan when he visited her house before (same thing with the muffin thing in episode 3 except it was Jintan himself who made the muffins), rather than try and wrack my brain into trying to speculate what Menma is, her purpose here, and why only now.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 10:55   Link #648
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I think your way of thinking is less fun than simply accepting her as a ghost, DragoonKain3. But we'll have to wait and see, for the actual answers, won't we?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 11:35   Link #649
LunaYoshi
The Blue Exorcist

I don't quite get it but maybe the next coming episodes will explain what is what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Why must the OP single be on the 15th of June and not sooner ;_;
Agree. Why must it be released on June 15, I want to listen to the full song already.
LunaYoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 14:45   Link #650
deadite

I've been rewatching ep 1 again and realized that Menma casts no shadow.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 19:51   Link #651
lahfielxi
wut wut~

Send a message via AIM to lahfielxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Menma wants crab sausages? Jintan takes it first without a thought. And so on and so forth.
Menma didn't want crab sausages, she saw Anaru preparing them. Jintan wasn't in the room and Anaru wasn't talking loudly about the sausages. So unless Jintan developed super hearing Menma reacting to the sausages and Jintan clearly hearing Menma talking about them is why I'm pretty sure it's a ghost and not a hallucination.

If not that's a pretty huge hole in consistency.
Old 2011-05-02, 21:22   Link #652
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

1. I like how natural everything seems to be. The setting, the characters, their interaction with one another, it all flows so peacefully and without the need to play to the audience. I feel like I'm right there just witnessing it as it happens.

2. I love the mystery surrounding Menma. It's an excellent aspect of the show that makes it unique. Just being able to contemplate what exactly she is, or her wish, or the nature of her 'existing' at this point is a great addition to the rest of the show.

3. Anaru with her hair down is really fucking hot.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 02:02   Link #653
Wakan Tanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
I've been rewatching ep 1 again and realized that Menma casts no shadow.
So, she is a ghost?
Old 2011-05-03, 02:14   Link #654
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The matter of the muffins somewhat contradicts the notion that she has no material form, shadow or no. Unless you choose door number two, Jinta made them himself - we know that he does take his turn cooking so he probably knows how.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 02:52   Link #655
Wakan Tanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The matter of the muffins somewhat contradicts the notion that she has no material form, shadow or no. Unless you choose door number two, Jinta made them himself - we know that he does take his turn cooking so he probably knows how.
Not quite true, think about Shinigami. (I am not saying that she is a Shinigami )
Old 2011-05-03, 11:07   Link #656
lahfielxi
wut wut~

Send a message via AIM to lahfielxi
It's pretty obvious she has a poltergeist type effect, such as knocking over her brother's glass. Moving physical objects. Saying their shoulders felt heavy when Menma was hanging on to them. Other times she seemingly has no effect, but it's probably dependent on her will.
lahfielxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 12:34   Link #657
Kokoru Asami
*Graphic Designer

For now i will agree with the theory that this is all part of jintan's subconscious, and its reflected in to the image of menma.
Old 2011-05-03, 12:36   Link #658
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

So... Jintan's a telekinetic? Subconsciously? That's a little too wild.
Old 2011-05-03, 12:39   Link #659
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well since we're seeing Jinta's hallucination we can't be sure if what we see is really true. What we see Menma do is possibly what Jinta does but we simply don't see that. So it may not be that if Jinta is hallucinating, reality is exactly what we see but without Menma.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 12:42   Link #660
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sounds like a job for Shibuya Psychic Research...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, noitamina, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy