AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

Old 2011-05-03, 12:47   Link #661
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well since we're seeing Jinta's hallucination we can't be sure if what we see is really true. What we see Menma do is possibly what Jinta does but we simply don't see that. So it may not be that if Jinta is hallucinating, reality is exactly what we see but without Menma.
And when Menma's not with him and affects things he's not present for, much less can see or hear? No; no ignoring evidence.
Old 2011-05-03, 13:31   Link #662
lahfielxi
wut wut~

Send a message via AIM to lahfielxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well since we're seeing Jinta's hallucination we can't be sure if what we see is really true. What we see Menma do is possibly what Jinta does but we simply don't see that. So it may not be that if Jinta is hallucinating, reality is exactly what we see but without Menma.
For that to be true you have to accept

a) Jintan has super-hearing, psychic powers, or sometime in Anaru/Jintan's past they had crab sausages and his hallucination/subconscious just correctly predicted Anaru would make crab cut sausages. A coincidence, unlikely, but possible.

b) Jintan frequently imagines scenarios where Menma acts out scenes with her family and the basic "life" of a ghost while he's not around, and blacks out/becomes Menma to create muffins, or hallucinates the muffin scene entirely.

or a completely separate option:

c) Absolutely everything we've seen so far is just a hallucination. His interactions with people, Menma. Jintan is actually strapped down in a padded cell and under heavy medication.

I think it's much easier just to believe she's a ghost/poltergeist and may appear differently to each person.
Old 2011-05-03, 13:46   Link #663
User68604
Disabled By Request

just started this, and i love the premise of it...its emo and i love it
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 15:04   Link #664
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Sounds like a job for Shibuya Psychic Research...
Heh, I was actually going to bring up their poltergeist case (not the best analogy to what's going on here but it was the best I could think of) and then I remembered that not everyone here has seen Ghost Hunt. XD But, for the moment anyway, I don't think it's going to matter exactly "what" Menma is, she's here to get people moving again, not to have them remain the same and question what she is.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 17:53   Link #665
Kokoru Asami
*Graphic Designer

Protected mental image = hallucination
Old 2011-05-03, 21:03   Link #666
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

God... I really liked Anaru in this episode, she really looks good in her white one piece, and not many people would admit their own weakness, great looks and attitude.

Lolz on menma, looking for her own ghost.... too bad she won't see anything in the mirror.
Old 2011-05-03, 23:21   Link #667
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

As I've mentioned here, it's very difficult for Jinta to be sick with anything other than either avoidant personality disorder, or schizoid personality disorder. As he's more of a hikikomori than a loner (from what we see of the episodes), I'm leaning more towards an avoidant personality.

The thing with avoidant personality disorder is that they have full recognition of reality - they simply cannot face it, as they're affected by both their pasts and their low self-esteems. They want to reach out, but are avoidant in fear of being rejected. They do not have hallucinations - from what I've read, those are reserved to schizophrenics for the most part.

The hallucinations that schizophrenics have are primarily auditory, and not visual, at that. Schizophrenia is also a fucked up disease in the sense that reality and fiction are merely blurs for the most part, something which Jinta clearly does not possess.

It's a lot simpler to think of Menma as a ghost. Sure, we have to accept the possibility of a paranormal world, but I think that's the simplest explanation given the circumstances.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 01:01   Link #668
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
And when Menma's not with him and affects things he's not present for, much less can see or hear? No; no ignoring evidence.
Oi, I'm not ignoring any evidence. I'm just saying, if it IS a hallucination then we can't say reality is simply what we see but without Menma, so the physcial interactions that she makes when Jinta is around and that can't be explained by coincidence don't neccessarily point to her being a ghost.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-05-04 at 02:42.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 01:09   Link #669
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

@Mema is Jinta's hallucinations theories

If hallucinations can cook snacks for me and is formed in a shape of a cute girl I can physically touch, GIVE ME ALL THE GODDAMNED LSD AND MAGIC SHROOMS IN THE WORLD, RIGHT NOW

I'd be tripping 24/7 with no downtime.
Old 2011-05-04, 01:23   Link #670
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

^

But yea, the fact that Menma can physically interact with objects kinda points her towards being a ghost rather than a hallucination. We have no means of proving that ghosts (if they exist) can interact with physical objects in real life...but seriously, she ate some food. I don't think a hallucination can eat food lol. Also, I don't think hallucinations can wander away from the person experiencing said hallucinations lol.
Old 2011-05-04, 05:58   Link #671
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
@Mema is Jinta's hallucinations theories

If hallucinations can cook snacks for me and is formed in a shape of a cute girl I can physically touch, GIVE ME ALL THE GODDAMNED LSD AND MAGIC SHROOMS IN THE WORLD, RIGHT NOW

I'd be tripping 24/7 with no downtime.
Epic post sir.
Old 2011-05-04, 06:25   Link #672
Westlo
Lets be reality

Did we really need a subforum for AnoHana? I mean this is only 11 episodes and is an anime original story to boot. So there's no need to have forums so we can have threads full of spoilers complaining about a line used @ this point of the chapter was instead used 3 lines later! Or how this scene in the manga was re-imagined in the anime in a different way to how I thought it would be when I read the manga! People blatantly spoiling things etc...

Meh whatever I don't really mind and obviously whatever I say has no bearing on the situation, I just feel that some threads lose a little something once they move to subforums. All the discussion being packed into one place just gets spread so thin and it's not the same. Some series it's needed due to various reasons but I don't see why one was needed here.

Anyway it's cool AnoHana got a subforum.. because if any show deserved one from this season than this was it, but whether it made sense to make one is another thing entirely. But it's cool I can rock with this....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 06:45   Link #673
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

ohai subforum! At the very least there'll be more concentrated discussions on each thread, and maybe raise the profile of the show some.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 06:52   Link #674
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Meh whatever I don't really mind and obviously whatever I say has no bearing on the situation, I just feel that some threads lose a little something once they move to subforums. All the discussion being packed into one place just gets spread so thin and it's not the same. Some series it's needed due to various reasons but I don't see why one was needed here.
I feel the same, too. When it is one thread only, many discussions and information can be shared much easily sometimes. Though, subforum has its own merits - such as forcing people to watch this series even more sort of thing?...
Old 2011-05-04, 07:30   Link #675
brocko

Nobody post in the other threads! We need to keep the crew together in the one thread otherwise one of us will start being pestered by their summerbeast subconscious to get everyone back in here again

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 07:52   Link #676
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Nobody post in the other threads! We need to keep the crew together in the one thread otherwise one of us will start being pestered by their summerbeast subconscious to get everyone back in here again
Yo, i better not catch you sniffing a months old printout of a page from this thread
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 08:30   Link #677
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Yo, i better not catch you sniffing a months old printout of a page from this thread
You ain't the only one who can talk the talk. I can play that game too buddy <---- closest thing i could find to a smug smile on here lol

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 08:32   Link #678
Tu101uk
~ Episode of Side A ~

Holy git, AnoHana got its own subforum... o_O

O-O~

~ Current Season Favourites... :: Ano Natsu de Matteru / Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! / Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou ~
Tu101uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 11:29   Link #679
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
I agree that the subforum is a waste, and at best will scatter the discussion. Plus the thread has less than 1k posts, there are not many images to posts (requiring another thread), and the whole franchise will disappear after the show ends, unlike other huge threads where it's a bitch to find your way through them, leading to reposting, and worsening the problem.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 11:41   Link #680
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, I didn't see a need for the sub-forum, myself. Alas, beggars can't be choosers...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, noitamina, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy