AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2005-12-21, 01:41   Link #61
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Can anyone explain to me why a.f.k. subtitles the name of Anju's doll as Bge? That doesn't even have enough vowels to count as a pronouncable word, so I'm sure they must have a reason for doing something so odd. I'd just like to know what that reason is.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 01:53   Link #62
Nvis
Where are the good animes

I noticed that too. Maybe that's what they indeed pronounce it.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 02:09   Link #63
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Can anyone explain to me why a.f.k. subtitles the name of Anju's doll as Bge? That doesn't even have enough vowels to count as a pronouncable word, so I'm sure they must have a reason for doing something so odd. I'd just like to know what that reason is.
The eyecatch of the first episode spells it BGE. It also spells the mother's name Caren, which seems to me like someone confused a katakana 'ra' for a 'n'. As I say (a lot lately, it seems), nothing wrong is official. (The engrishy nature of the vampire hunter's license is not grounds to invalidate its spelling of Winner, since as above noted, Wiener isn't any better in terms of being a given name, especially for someone whose family name is Sinclair, and also because the W in Wiener would correctly be pronounced as a V.)
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 02:12   Link #64
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_suck
The eyecatch of the first episode spells it BGE. It also spells the mother's name Caren, which seems to me like someone confused a katakana 'ra' for a 'n'. As I say (a lot lately, it seems), nothing wrong is official.
If they are copying the spelling of the eyecatch, then why aren't they copying the spelling for Caren also, instead of calling her Carera? Aren't both of these equally fallacious?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2005-12-21, 02:50   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

<sigh> speed vs quality .....
Am I going to have to download all the groups to figure out which one to keep like I did for shuffle?

(I applaud "we suck's" policy, though I think the JP region pricing is pretty ridiculous so I have to pick and choose, as in I don't think they'll ever license this one so I'll go ahead and buy it --- I'll buy R1 collections in a heartbeat though.)
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 04:01   Link #66
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Only 4 groups still seem to be subbing this: afk, Anime-Empire , Anime-Shrine and We Suck. None of the other groups have released an episode in quite some time and I don't know if they intend to keep subbing it.

Three of these groups are quite fast (afk, Anime-Shrine and We Suck), always releasing within a few days of each other. So you don't have to choose speed vs. quality if you like one of them. Only Anime-Empire takes longer than a few days to sub and I don't really think that their quality is better.

I'm following afk, but honestly We Suck is also darn good. (They suck about as much as Karin does. )

If you want to see some screenies to compare these 4 groups, take a look at u1tima.

Old 2005-12-21, 09:44   Link #67
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

In the manga, Karin's mom is called "Maaka Karera," which I think might be "Carrera Marker" if you turned it into a real Western name. Her husband is "Henry Marker." But the kanji used for "Maaka" mean something like "True Red" in Japanese, relating it to blood, so it really is a name invented by the Japanese mangaka (KAGESAKI Yuna).

Anju's familiar is called "Bugii-kun," which is probably best transliterated "Boogie."

The wiener doesn't appear in the manga. He is from the novel. I think the teacher calls him "Uiina Sinkurea." I vote for Wiener Sinclair, although his vampire-hunter card does say "Winner."

Anju is a lot more together than Eve from Black Cat. She is not so much the ignorant victim of events as the knowing person who controls events. But they are similarly powerful.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 11:24   Link #68
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
In the manga, Karin's mom is called "Maaka Karera," which I think might be "Carrera Marker" if you turned it into a real Western name. Her husband is "Henry Marker." But the kanji used for "Maaka" mean something like "True Red" in Japanese, relating it to blood, so it really is a name invented by the Japanese mangaka (KAGESAKI Yuna).

Anju's familiar is called "Bugii-kun," which is probably best transliterated "Boogie."

The wiener doesn't appear in the manga. He is from the novel. I think the teacher calls him "Uiina Sinkurea." I vote for Wiener Sinclair, although his vampire-hunter card does say "Winner."
Excellent summary

Conceding to the spelling chosen by the animators and or manga-ka is usually a mistake, imo.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 11:25   Link #69
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber

Winner FTW!

Okay, this is pretty anecdotal evidence, but you'll find a bunch of given names that mean winner--a couple here, a couple here... The Winner vs. Wiener debate continues. Frankly, my money's on Winner... something about that name makes me think it'll come out on top.
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 13:30   Link #70
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
So the anime has been skewed from the manga from the very beginning? Great...

Where does the novel fit in?
KaneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 13:52   Link #71
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon
So the anime has been skewed from the manga from the very beginning? Great...

Where does the novel fit in?
Actually, the anime followed the manga vol 1 & 2 closely, after which it started to add original content (Winner).

I only have manga vol 1 & 2, so I can't say much for the other volumes, but I read that the love hotel arc was cut from the anime.
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 15:00   Link #72
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Yeah, I know Winner didn't come until later; I was just thinking about the extra scene thrown in at the beginning of the first episode. I could be wrong.

Love hotel arc... um... hmm? *gets*

But what is this novel? An alternate story, or optional story line that fits with the rest?...
KaneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 18:01   Link #73
Zeffy

Send a message via AIM to Zeffy Send a message via MSN to Zeffy
I remember reading about the novel in some Karin scanlations.. Supposedly it's more on the mystery side and more romantic like according to the side comics.

I do know of one reference to the novel in the manga on the first page of chapter 14 in volume 3, but I'm not sure if that was actually there or if it was a scanlation note.

Spoiler:

I'm guessing that they might of decided to delay the love-hotel arc in the manga and opt for some of the novel material for now.
Zeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 19:18   Link #74
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Carrera vs Caren...

Looks like WOWOW's official Karin web site suffers some internal inconsistencies as to how to name Karin's liar's-blood-loving Mom...

From Staff/Cast (スタッフ・キャスト) page

From Characters (キャラクター) page

Kadokawa's Karin page, however, claims it's Carrera. So I guess it's Carrera by majority decision...
Yaoi_Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 19:29   Link #75
ultrataro

Never say never, I'd say this show is a prime candidate for liscening if the price is right. I do agree that Japan DVD pricing really hurts, how do fans in Japan afford it? Anyway, girl vampire show with a little twist? Sounds like it would peak some interest in this market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
(I applaud "we suck's" policy, though I think the JP region pricing is pretty ridiculous so I have to pick and choose, as in I don't think they'll ever license this one so I'll go ahead and buy it --- I'll buy R1 collections in a heartbeat though.)
ultrataro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 19:35   Link #76
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Another thought:
Anju, young as she is seems to exude an other-worldly knowledge
and intelligence about everything to the point where even her mother
and father are forced to include her on their discussions regarding her
older sister. I find this very interesting that Anju knew she could trust
Usui and indeed I suspect there's a lot more to Anju than we've been
allowed to see so far. Even Ren seems to defer to her in some respect.

I suppose they have to because thus far she's been the only one of
them who could assist Karin during daylight hours in limited
circumstances.

Very cool character.
aliensporebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 21:54   Link #77
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime
Fumio is a widow, a young mom and a classic housewife. All 3 factors together are magnets for over the hill, middle aged men looking for an instant family
I guess that's why she was called "The Devil Lady That Plagues Middle Age Men" as it says in episode 2 I think
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 02:28   Link #78
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

I dont want to sound like Bill Oriley but I ahve a question aobut A.F.K's sub of eo 7 where the girl in the class says "like,I'd toaly tap that"
did she realy say that or is that a pop culture slip?
After watchign the honky tonk dabonkadonk video seeing pop culture "out of context" is scary 0-o *rolls around suxing his thumb from the mental scars of the evil contry music video*
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 02:54   Link #79
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
Another thought:
Anju, young as she is seems to exude an other-worldly knowledge
and intelligence about everything to the point where even her mother
and father are forced to include her on their discussions regarding her
older sister. I find this very interesting that Anju knew she could trust
Usui and indeed I suspect there's a lot more to Anju than we've been
allowed to see so far. Even Ren seems to defer to her in some respect.

I suppose they have to because thus far she's been the only one of
them who could assist Karin during daylight hours in limited
circumstances.

Very cool character.
She would have stolen the show more than several times already if she had a bigger role in this.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 03:00   Link #80
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM
I dont want to sound like Bill Oriley but I ahve a question aobut A.F.K's sub of eo 7 where the girl in the class says "like,I'd toaly tap that"
did she realy say that or is that a pop culture slip?
Let's just call it an editing decision and leave it like that. Of course she didn't say "Like, I'd totally tap that" since those words are English and she spoke Japanese. What they did was to translate a Japanese colloquial expression into an equivalent English colloquial expression.

"Like, I'd totally tap that" is what she might have said if she spoke English.

Tags
comedy, shounen