AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-09-12, 22:44   Link #5561
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
The question is If the Air Force will take lesson from that study ?
Yes. They will not create a planet destroying space station. Too much maintenance. They prefer the hands-on method anyway.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 23:28   Link #5562
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Yes. They will not create a planet destroying space station. Too much maintenance. They prefer the hands-on method anyway.
The US's ICBM are on Air Force Base , right ?
Old 2011-09-13, 00:33   Link #5563
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
The US's ICBM are on Air Force Base , right ?
It depends on what sort of missiles you're talking about... the "big boys" (true ICBMs with MIRV'd warheads) have their own "bases" and the locations are chosen to minimize collateral damage to other military assets if they're successfully targeted. There are also the 24/7 patrolling large nuclear subs with their own batch of ICBMs (smaller in size but just as lethal).
ALCMs (air launched cruise missiles) are launched from B-52s (also a percentage in the air at all times) - they can carry 24 if they aren't carrying gravity nukes (the Cold War kind that just fall). To my knowledge they aren't using B-2s for 'failsafe' duty - those have been more effective at conventional duty.
Old 2011-09-13, 02:59   Link #5564
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Wayward penguin 'Happy Feet' goes missing
Quote:
Wellington, New Zealand (Sept 13, Tue): The wayward penguin known as "Happy Feet" has gone missing in the ocean south of New Zealand. There's a slight chance that scientists tracking the bird may hear from him again — if he's still alive — but it could take years.

The emperor penguin's satellite transmitter went silent last Friday, just five days after experts released the aquatic bird into the Southern Ocean about a quarter of the way down to Antarctica.

Experts told AP that the most likely scenario is that the transmitter fell off. The small unit was attached to the bird's feathers with super glue and was designed to fall off when he moulted early next year.

Other possibilities are that Happy Feet was eaten by an orca or a leopard seal; that he died of natural causes; or that the transmitter malfunctioned. Another device, a small chip implanted under the bird's skin, could one day send a signal if it comes close enough to a monitoring site.

Happy Feet became an international celebrity when he was discovered in June on a New Zealand beach, some 3,200km (2,000 miles) from his Antarctic home.

The bird became sick from eating sand which he likely mistook for snow, but was nursed back to health over two months at the Wellington Zoo. Veterinarians repeatedly flushed his stomach to remove sand and fattened him up on a diet of fish.

AP
"Other possibilities are that Happy Feet was eaten by an orca or a leopard seal..."

NoooOooooooOooooOoooOOOOoooo...

What happened to my happy Disney ending? So much for seizon senryaku.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 03:03   Link #5565
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It depends on what sort of missiles you're talking about... the "big boys" (true ICBMs with MIRV'd warheads) have their own "bases" and the locations are chosen to minimize collateral damage to other military assets if they're successfully targeted. There are also the 24/7 patrolling large nuclear subs with their own batch of ICBMs (smaller in size but just as lethal).
ALCMs (air launched cruise missiles) are launched from B-52s (also a percentage in the air at all times) - they can carry 24 if they aren't carrying gravity nukes (the Cold War kind that just fall). To my knowledge they aren't using B-2s for 'failsafe' duty - those have been more effective at conventional duty.
+ Many air force bases have stocks of tactical nukes but few have stocks of what can be classified as strategical nukes (which most land based ICBMs are). Tactical nukes in contrast to strategic nukes, have less destructive power and can therefore be used "more precisely" to take out military targets and decrease the overall collateral damage.
Another way to see it... strategical nukes are in essence terror weapons that are used to maintain a nuclear deterrence. I can see no practical scenario where a strategical nuke can ever be used within the frame of rules of engagement if those are bound to the international humanitarian law.
Tactical nukes however, might be well within that frame, if the military thread that is going to be destroyed is just remote enough and itself capable of releasing an equally strong destructive force.
Old 2011-09-13, 03:27   Link #5566
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Wayward penguin 'Happy Feet' goes missing

"Other possibilities are that Happy Feet was eaten by an orca or a leopard seal..."

NoooOooooooOooooOoooOOOOoooo...

What happened to my happy Disney ending? So much for seizon senryaku.
Not surprising because :

Quote:
Veterinarians repeatedly flushed his stomach to remove sand and fattened him up on a diet of fish.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 05:31   Link #5567
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

No more cigarettes for smoking Malaysian orangutan

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-12-10-42-44
Old 2011-09-13, 07:34   Link #5568
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
No more cigarettes for smoking Malaysian orangutan

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-12-10-42-44
About time! If such an animal is tended to by my local zoo, I'd shove sticks of weed up the arses of the zookeepers caring for it.

EDIT :

AKB48 Rage at “Moral Collapse” of Idol Otaku

I am at a loss of words....and choice of which side to take.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-09-13 at 08:10.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 08:26   Link #5569
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
+ Many air force bases have stocks of tactical nukes but few have stocks of what can be classified as strategical nukes (which most land based ICBMs are). Tactical nukes in contrast to strategic nukes, have less destructive power and can therefore be used "more precisely" to take out military targets and decrease the overall collateral damage.
Another way to see it... strategical nukes are in essence terror weapons that are used to maintain a nuclear deterrence. I can see no practical scenario where a strategical nuke can ever be used within the frame of rules of engagement if those are bound to the international humanitarian law.
Tactical nukes however, might be well within that frame, if the military thread that is going to be destroyed is just remote enough and itself capable of releasing an equally strong destructive force.
Aye, I did defense contract work during the Cold War (B-52 flight simulator engineering, other systems, etc) and the more clearance I got the more clear it was that the Kubrick movie Dr. Strangelove was NOT SUFFICIENTLY insane enough. Even tactical nukes are a "lulz" from an actual usage perspective (the average tactical nuke has more yield than the Hiroshima bomb... just far less dirty). I still highly recommend people watch that film and realize that *real* people exist who are pretty much like those lampooned in the movie even today. They're scary, and I've met them. :P
Old 2011-09-13, 09:34   Link #5570
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I still highly recommend people watch that film and realize that *real* people exist who are pretty much like those lampooned in the movie even today. They're scary, and I've met them. :P
Did they ever tell you that you couldn't fight in the War Room?
Old 2011-09-13, 13:52   Link #5571
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...tampDescending

A Chinese man thought he would look years younger after bathing with live eels in a spa treatment designed to remove dead skin. Instead, one of the eels meant to eat the man's dead skin cells decided to enter his penis through the urethra.

Old 2011-09-13, 13:57   Link #5572
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

A Chinese man thought he would look years younger after bathing with live eels in a spa treatment designed to remove dead skin. Instead, one of the eels meant to eat the man's dead skin cells decided to enter his penis through the urethra.

And I thought than the biggest possibility was than the eel would go for the anus insted of the penis...
Old 2011-09-13, 15:24   Link #5573
JC...
I am a Pie

Al-Qaeda apparently want to bomb Eton. (the school)
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 16:20   Link #5574
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

You stop that right now!
Old 2011-09-13, 23:12   Link #5575
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ya got to use bigger eels .... (ya this is a problem in wading in the waters of more than few water features of the world).
Old 2011-09-14, 00:29   Link #5576
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

That eel story reminds me of the Amazon, and some of the nasties that live in the water there. I generally avoid anything that goes above my knee, except for my pool in the backyard. Too many evil things live in rivers and oceans. Besides everything is poisonous in Aust, except some of the sheep. Maybe.
Old 2011-09-14, 00:39   Link #5577
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

H.P. Lovecraft was terrified of sea creatures and the like for a damned good reason.
Old 2011-09-14, 01:15   Link #5578
Mr Hat and Clogs

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Old 2011-09-14, 02:11   Link #5579
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
That eel story reminds me of the Amazon, and some of the nasties that live in the water there. I generally avoid anything that goes above my knee, except for my pool in the backyard. Too many evil things live in rivers and oceans. Besides everything is poisonous in Aust, except some of the sheep. Maybe.
Do you have any *blue* sheep? (blue seems to be an alarm color for "keel u ded in sekonds" down there)
Old 2011-09-14, 02:36   Link #5580
Mr Hat and Clogs

Honestly I'd be more worried about what's hunting the sheep. Although I'm sure the deadly blue ribbon sheep would put up quite the fight.

Spoiler for Like this, supposedly..:

Tags
humor