AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-10, 19:06   Link #81
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Although I'm not sure what to expect from Nana, I happened to see some of the art and I liked the style so checked out the first episode. And so far, so good. I like the characters, it was actually a bit surprising to see "rock" Nana being alot more considerate than you might expect. Don't judge a book by its cover, eh? So in short, I like the drawing style, characters, and "girly" Nana provided some comedy to boot, so for now I'm sticking with this one.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 20:25   Link #82
deathsvengeance
Dreams in Fear

I love Ai Yazawa and I haven't gotten the chance to read the Nana manga, however I jumped at the chance to watch the anime!

Episode one was great for establishing "cute" Nana-chan's character. Her boyfriend is a jerk though hah.

I can't wait to see how this one unfolds!
deathsvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 21:23   Link #83
fynefilo

Send a message via MSN to fynefilo
I really like the OP and ED theme for NANA. Very cool. And I like the animation better than that of ParaKiss, which to me seemed a little, dark..? I have not read the manga nor seen the movie, but I was looking forward to this series the most this season, and so far, out of the new season's series I've watched, it has the best first episode. I have been tempted to buy the manga but I would rather watch the anime (which I'm sure will be great) before reading the manga in all its awesome-ness (according to many, many people).
fynefilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 21:40   Link #84
lunacake

problems playing ep

I've dled the 1st ep, but when I try to play the file in windows media player it keeps shutting down. Has anyone had similar problems? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
lunacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 01:51   Link #85
TekNiks
kali mandirigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
Which raw, if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to see *_*

-Tofu
It was the first raw that was avaliable on bt, I dont think it was put out by a specific group.

@lunacake- my suggestion, dont use media player. First thing you should do is install CCCP, then any media player other than media player and/or VLC media player, MPC is ok.
TekNiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 03:00   Link #86
thundastormz

I honestly didn't see what was wrong with Paradise Kiss the anime... but that's just me... The OP for that blew me away, and I was hoping for a similar experience with the NANA OP, but it didn't quite make it... granted, it was very good, and overall the BGM is more superior than Parakiss....

Love the animation, what I'd expect from a Yazawa adaption... (and regardless of what people think, I thought the chibis from Parakiss were adorable... it fit the funkiness of the story). Very clean work, I've never fancied the "traditional" anime style (the kind of style that most animes have nowadays) so this is definitely something I'd follow religiously XD

The story is loyal, another plus. Parakiss was rushed, and I really hope they keep the pace they have going now with NANA. I love Yazawa's works, but Parakiss still stands ontop of that list =P

Didn't find a problem with the voice actors UNTIL someone mentioned that Nana O's voice is like Edward Elric's ....but without knowing that, it had fit quite nicely, and I'll get used to that tidbit over time XD

Ooo~oh! Another thing! Awesome job with the subbing Live eviL!! *claps*
thundastormz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 06:16   Link #87
Jehuty

omg c_c;;

the anime made me fall in love with the series. it's definately a 'chick-flick (ahaha no offense)' type of anime but.. damn c_c;;

they just did everything right. and the movie was good! I'm amazed at how well they got the anime - movie character comparison. they look great!

but yeah. good stuff
Jehuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 06:18   Link #88
Kyousuke

The first episode was really nice.
Kyousuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 23:35   Link #89
marclemagne
~ ~

I watched the first episode of Nana twice, and then instead of skipping through to take notes as I had planned, I ended up watching it a third time. I guess I liked it a lot considering I've never re-watched an episode of anything so soon after watching it originally, much less re-watching twice! (I hope that makes sense.)

I was impressed with the animation. There seems to be a focus on movement and small details that really adds to the experience. Two moments stood out for me and made me laugh: (1) After Light Nana (I like the idea of Light and Dark Nana as descriptions for now, as someone said earlier. I guess they have different nicknames later) has such a fun time checking out the apartment, she walks in a line right past Dark Nana and her rental guy straight to her own rental guy and says, "I'll take it." I liked her expression and the look in her eyes. (2) When the rental guy and Dark Nana are talking about privacy and Light Nana is bouncing from foot to foot with her arms stretched out in front of her like she is going to hug Dark Nana. Funny, cute, and fitting given the conversation going on. Both of these scenes are impossibly cute. Also, this must be the season of crazy surprised/shocked facial expressions. So far this and Kyo u no Go no Ni have made me laugh a lot with their funny facial expressions.

Another thing I was interested in was at the end when the two girls shook hands. It is interesting, personality-wise, to note the type of rings they have on. Light Nana has a ring with a heart on it which is all-too-fitting for her personality while Dark Nana is wearing finger armor which, again, suits her personality well. One is open while the other is closed, guarded.

I also like how colors are used. They are both hard and soft. Humans are drawn with long thin hard lines while objects and background images have soft, waterly lines. Humans have strong, solid colors (especially Dark Nana) while objects and background images are soft and almost blurred. I really thought the scenes while it was snowing were beautiful.

I also noticed some scenes with 3D animation. Generally, I'm not a fan but it fit here and didn't conflict with the colors or traditional animation (I can't help but think of Witch Hunter Robin and how bad I though they mixed 3D animation with traditional at times).

I really liked the themes and music throughout the episode. I thought the selection and usage was perfect. Also, although I enjoyed the opening song, what really caught me was the ending song. I love that song at the end, and I liked how it started to play while the girls were shaking hands and then went to the credits.

The comedy in this show so far is really good. It makes me laugh and I have a good time watching. But at the same time, I can't help but feel like this show is so much more serious than a lot of the stuff out there right now. Even after one episode I feel like there's more meaning here than there was in a whole season of another show I just finished watching, Canvas 2. In that sense, I guess, it feels a bit like Honey & Clover, which ending up being one of my favorite shows.

Anyway, I'm hooked and I can't wait to see more.

"If love can kill then surely hatred can save."
-Altena; Noir
marclemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 00:07   Link #90
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Ever met someone who is the exact opposite of what you are in terms of personality but are linked in such a way that your likes and abilities mesh perfectly. It is as though you both were 1 person but split into 2 seperate bodies. Kindred of the soul is what I call this, and the way the world works is that you will always find him/her in the most unlikely of places.

For a first episode Nana portrays this meeting beautifully, and it is something that will be a profound change to their lives.

Will keep with this show because it also mirrors what I had with a good friend of mine [passed away some years ago]. I didn't find out until recently that our names meant the same thing but translated differently [am Chinese but from a differnt clan dialect]. Funny no? But stranger things have happened.
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 00:10   Link #91
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Since I'm almost finished with Beck (ep 23) and have already seen Paradise Kiss which I found to be a very dope contemporary adaptation...I'd like to start watching Nana, however I don't really know much about it (Oddly enuff no one really has given an overview of what the series is about, only impressions after watching it)...Is it another "slice of life" contemporary tale like Beck and Parakiss??The distinct animation made me curious as I think this animation style is quite creative (although ParaKiss has better production value than Beck which tended to have inconsistencies in character designs and animation quality IMO; Beck put all the cash into the backgrounds and instruments but not necessarily the character designs)...Anyways I'd like to know more than it's a chick-flick before I decide to watch because if that's all it is I probably won't...I actually love the CG usage in ParaKiss and from the screens I've seen Nana seems to have it aswell....Aizawa (I think that's his name), I really dig the way in Beck and in parakiss the way he paces episodes...It's almost like you get 20-25 different scenes splashed into a 23 minute episode...You almost feel like you get more out of a single episode of these shows than most others because of the quick interchanging of scenes...Just wondering if Nana prescribes to some of the things i really liked about those other 2 series...
Old 2006-04-12, 00:37   Link #92
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
I'd like to start watching Nana, however I don't really know much about it (Oddly enuff no one really has given an overview of what the series is about, only impressions after watching it)
I believe there should be a few review links of ep1 here posted by some of the bloggers.

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2006/04/05/nana-01/
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 00:59   Link #93
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Since I'm almost finished with Beck (ep 23) and have already seen Paradise Kiss which I found to be a very dope contemporary adaptation...I'd like to start watching Nana, however I don't really know much about it (Oddly enuff no one really has given an overview of what the series is about, only impressions after watching it)...Is it another "slice of life" contemporary tale like Beck and Parakiss??The distinct animation made me curious as I think this animation style is quite creative (although ParaKiss has better production value than Beck which tended to have inconsistencies in character designs and animation quality IMO; Beck put all the cash into the backgrounds and instruments but not necessarily the character designs)...Anyways I'd like to know more than it's a chick-flick before I decide to watch because if that's all it is I probably won't...I actually love the CG usage in ParaKiss and from the screens I've seen Nana seems to have it aswell....Aizawa (I think that's his name), I really dig the way in Beck and in parakiss the way he paces episodes...It's almost like you get 20-25 different scenes splashed into a 23 minute episode...You almost feel like you get more out of a single episode of these shows than most others because of the quick interchanging of scenes...Just wondering if Nana prescribes to some of the things i really liked about those other 2 series...
Nana is not a musical struggle and way to success story like Beck (I haven't watched or read Paradise Kiss so I cannot comment on that, but it seems that it is considered to be better than Paradise Kiss). The story focuses more on the character developments and relationships - basically the lifes of two Nana. The story is strong (I believe it is above chick-flick level) and the animation is as you observed. I suggest you to check the first few volumes of the manga; the story gets better as you move forward, so the enjoyment you get will most probably be greater than what you have observed until the end of your sampling.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 08:08   Link #94
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

Send a message via AIM to mippa Send a message via MSN to mippa Send a message via Yahoo to mippa
Anyone in Japan watching episode two tonight? I am watching it alone (except for my kitty) and I would love to chat with someone on AIM and do a syncro-view!
mippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 08:25   Link #95
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I have to admit i really didn't think the humor worked in the manga.. it really did just stick out way to much for me, but in the anime - its easily worked me over, and suits perfect with the anime.. shame the cast from the movie aren't doing the roles! >.<
Old 2006-04-12, 08:44   Link #96
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by marclemagne
Amazing review.
I love you. You've summarized all what I tried to say but failed to. :O

I'm like you. As I mentioned before I feel that this is a great anime to follow after watching Honey & Clover, so I'm hoping to see all H&C audience here with us, share their opinions and theories of implied and symbolic stuff because NANA has lots of them, hehe.
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 08:48   Link #97
wrex_japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mippa
Anyone in Japan watching episode two tonight? I am watching it alone (except for my kitty) and I would love to chat with someone on AIM and do a syncro-view!
Hmm... sounds like a fun idea, but at least for me, being a guy, I don't think I could multitask like that... watch and chat... I'd probably miss something... or maybe my computer would crash (as it's recording the show). (I'll be watching it with my gf anyway; she wouldn't like it if I'm in front of my Mac instead of being next to her on the couch ^_^;.

Be careful, as it starts at 11:40 tonight (at least in Tokyo). Edit: check that, there was stupid baseball on earlier... it's possible it could be delayed or something.
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 09:24   Link #98
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
..Anyways I'd like to know more than it's a chick-flick before I decide to watch because if that's all it is I probably won't...I actually love the CG usage in ParaKiss and from the screens I've seen Nana seems to have it aswell...
I was hesitant to try Nana at first, because I thought it would feel too 'chick-flick', in your words. However the director for this is experienced in handling seinen anime, so Nana didn't give any such vibes at all.

In fact, I really love Nana right now...the character, and the show. She's well-animated for her character design, and the production values (CG included) are superb. It feels fast-paced, and definitely much better than Parakiss.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 10:27   Link #99
wrex_japan

Nana ep. 2

The episode was pretty enjoyable... Komatsu Nana is airheaded, cute, annoying (just a little), and thus, funny.
Spoiler for about episode 2:

Makes me wanna read the manga. ^_^
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 10:39   Link #100
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

Send a message via AIM to mippa Send a message via MSN to mippa Send a message via Yahoo to mippa
Yes, I think the second episode will be especially pleasing to the diehards. ^^v

And Raphael! Thanks for joining me tonight in watching! ^^v
mippa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance