AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-10-26, 10:56   Link #1861
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHaru View Post
Yeah, you can create new stories using the same universe that way too, it's fine and probably you can get a pretty good result in terms of quality, but from the commercial point of view for an anime series this doesn't seems like a good strategy, since you're wasting your main selling point, so they could as well create a completely new franchise instead of making a new series and forcing it to an already existing universe.

Cuídense y sigan sorniendo
Oh really? I see as much more of a better idea then making a new franchise. Say they made Magical Girl Lyrical Bob (the first thing that came to mind). Well Magical Lyrical Bob is gonna sell a lot better than just Bob. Why? Because Magical Lyrical has an established Fan Base and some people will watch and buy Magical Lyrical Bob for the sole sake that there might be 5 minutes of Nanoha or whoever they like (I'm not suggesting they drop the established characters as that would be franchise suicide but they're already being shafted).

To put this in a more relative view than Bob I believe it's very likely we'll have Magical Girl Lyrical Vivio and have a cast of mostly new characters (remember the more characters the more figurines!) and you know what. People will watch it.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 10:59   Link #1862
Ottocycle

Quote:
since you're wasting your main selling point, so they could as well create a completely new franchise instead of making a new series and forcing it to an already existing universe.
Isn't the main selling point of this series little girls blasting the hell outta each other? It's still around in SSX, though only in sound form if that's what you mean.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 11:02   Link #1863
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Also, about the "SSX was brilliant", please don't generalize your opinion.
That's the pot calling the kettle black, but you have a point. I'll get back to you when I get a list of sales to see if I can justify my opinion.

Quote:
I think one of the main reasons because that would be a bad idea from the commercial point of view is because Nanoha is a series where the selling point are their characters, but in Gundam series it's most about upgradeable mechas.
Yes, and we can do other series by building on the cast introduced in this latest season.

Imagine, if you will, but a handful of the possibilities:

- A Vivio centric season digging deeper into the Belkan history.
- A Vivio centric season giving more background on the TSAB recruitment and training process
- A Numbers centric season revealing more on the nature of investigation in the TSAB.
- A Numbers centric season that explores Jail Scaglieti and his ultimate goals.
- A Teana centric season that tells us more about the Enforcers.
- A Hayate centric season which might finally give her some actual on-screen growth and glory.

All these ideas still have your main selling point, the characters, foremost in mind. All these seasons would introduce characters of their own, who can then branch out into their own seasons, becoming a tree of different seasons and characters.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 11:08   Link #1864
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Pull a CSI on MSLN. The franchise runs fine with about three series with different cast of characters and still keeping its gimmicks.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 11:09   Link #1865
BPHaru

@TheZaffySword
That's a possibility, but you need to make a market study to see how much market you're losing by doing that, because you're basically not changing or extending your target audience, and maybe there is a better opportunity somewhere else. But anyway we don't have that kind of data, so we can't do more than speculate.

@Kero-chan
Yeah, that's a posibility. In my opinion the main selling point of this series are the characters, but I think the people here should have an idea of the average popularity of the new cast introduced in StrikerS, so I think 7Arcs could come with more profitable ideas than yours.

Cuídense y sigan sonriendo
BPHaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 11:19   Link #1866
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Didn't we already have this debate before? Favorite character =/= people not liking the other characters. For example, Teana and Subaru are pretty darn popular, hell even Ginga is very popular, despite her low amount of screentime.
Old 2008-10-26, 11:25   Link #1867
BPHaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Didn't we already have this debate before? Favorite character =/= people not liking the other characters. For example, Teana and Subaru are pretty darn popular, hell even Ginga is very popular, despite her low amount of screentime.
You're right, my dear Kero-chan, but in this case we are prioritizing more popularity than quality, since we're talking about the profit 7 Arcs will get from their only francize, and let's not forget that 7 Arcs & Ivory definitely aren't Key and Kyoto Animation, so you can't point that high either.

*Haru suddenly imagines a KyoAni version of Nanoha
Oh god... that would be EPIC!

Old 2008-10-26, 11:28   Link #1868
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

And yet, they went ahead and made SSX center on the StrikerS cast, rather then the 'most popular' cast.
Old 2008-10-26, 11:33   Link #1869
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
And yet, they went ahead and made SSX center on the StrikerS cast, rather then the 'most popular' cast.
Which would mean that the characters were selling well enough for it to be logical to do so.
Old 2008-10-26, 11:35   Link #1870
Vivio Testarossa
I'm Back

Quote:
From what I can see even Reinforce I, from A's is also very popular... also despite her only appearing in a few episodes...

Thank for help with signature Evil Rick.
Vivio Testarossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 11:36   Link #1871
BPHaru

Quote:
Yeah, I think that that was a pretty good idea as I have commented before, In my opinion one of the principal problems of StrikerS was the cast, so it's good that they instead of simply "throwing away their mistakes", tried to fix the characters in a sound stage that is something cheap to produce compared to a whole series, that way they can make a next season of the anime series if they want without wasting unnecessary amounts of screen time in those characters if they are not necessary for the new plot.

Old 2008-10-26, 11:44   Link #1872
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Those characters had already gone on with their own lives after StrikerS, there was no need for SSX to settle anything to prevent 'wasted' screentime for a next season. SSX was created because the characters popularity was high enough that it was deemed profitable to make a Sound Stage dedicated to them. If a casts popularity is high enough to allow the creation of a Sound Stage dedicated to them without any of the pre-StrikerS cast appearing at all, then that says volumes about their popularity, and not in a negative way.

Haru, last time we had this debate we crushed any of your arguments that the StrikerS characters weren't popular, you have never come with a good argument that they're not, please don't repeat the same argument again.
Old 2008-10-26, 11:54   Link #1873
BPHaru

I don't think you can compare the volumes of the sales of a Sound Stage with an Anime aired in the whole Japan, and I don't think they made the SSX using that cast for that reason, I think it's more like was I proposed, since the scenario we see in the Internet communities is not that, and I don't think that the people form 7 Arcs would do a wrong market study.

I think the last time we debated something similar we only concluded was that you didn't know statistics but if you want I can go to your place and teach you something... I would love to do that, Kero-chan ^^

Cuídate y sigue sonriendo
Old 2008-10-26, 12:15   Link #1874
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I think the last time we debated something similar we only concluded was that you didn't know statistics but if you want I can go to your place and teach you something... I would love to do that, Kero-chan ^^
If one assumes that when making an overall statistic of which character is the most popular among fans, you target only one sub-group (which, in our last case, were artists) and leave the rest out of the loop, then yes, in the eyes of that person I would know nothing of statistics.

Of course, as more people then just me pointed out to you, when making overall statistics, you need to look beyond just one sub-group, as that is where the word overall stands for.

Quote:
I don't think you can compare the volumes of the sales of a Sound Stage with an Anime aired in the whole Japan, and I don't think they made the SSX using that cast for that reason, I think it's more like was I proposed, since the scenario we see in the Internet communities is not that, and I don't think that the people form 7 Arcs would do a wrong market study.
Like I said, StrikerS was already a closed case. There was zero reason to make the SSX just to close the book on the StrikerS characters. In fact, that theory only works against you considering SSX only opened more possible scenarios and plot lines for the cast, rather then close them.

Companies make products to make profit. Yes, they try to make their products as entertaining as possible, but ultimately the goal for a company is to make profit. If the cast of StrikerS was not popular enough to warrant profit, then SSX would never have been made. The fact that it was made, and was aimed at the StrikerS only cast, shows that the cast of StrikerS is not nearly as unpopular as you claim them to be.

And why can't we compare the sales of a Sound Stage to the sales of an anime?
Old 2008-10-26, 12:26   Link #1875
BPHaru

Quote:
And why can't we compare the sales of a Sound Stage to the sales of an anime?
I don't have hard data to support it since we don't know the financial information of this company, but I think the amount of people interested in watching some episodes or the whole series on tv compared to the amount of people who goes to a store the buy a sound stage seems to be at least 2 orders of magnitude higher.

About the other things, I'll keep my point of view of 7 Arcs intentions, since I think mine are more commercially viable.

Old 2008-10-26, 12:32   Link #1876
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
About the other things, I'll keep my point of view of 7 Arcs intentions, since I think mine are more commercially viable.

Didn't Keroko just prove that it wasn't? Your version has 7Arcs wasting money by making a Sound Stage about characters no one cares about when the entire thing could simply be hand waved to make room for more profitable enterprise at no cost. The logic that *shock* the new characters were popular enough to warrant a Sound Stage makes far more financial sense, by your logic no one would have bought SSX and 7Arc would have wasted money.
Old 2008-10-26, 12:36   Link #1877
BPHaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
Didn't Keroko just prove that it wasn't? Your version has 7Arcs wasting money by making a Sound Stage about characters no one cares about when the entire thing could simply be hand waved to make room for more profitable enterprise at no cost. The logic that *shock* the new characters were popular enough to warrant a Sound Stage makes far more financial sense, by your logic no one would have bought SSX and 7Arc would have wasted money.
Actually I said I think it was a good idea from 7Arcs to make it a SS instead of an Anime, but take it as you want.

Old 2008-10-26, 12:38   Link #1878
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
Actually I said I think it was a good idea from 7Arcs to make it a SS instead of an Anime, but take it as you want.

... I never said you said it wasn't
Old 2008-10-26, 12:41   Link #1879
BPHaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
... I never said you said it wasn't
BTW, the SSX has lesbot and tsundere-chan (or Subaru and Tea if you prefer), I think that reason is good enough to sell the whole CD... I almost forgot about them

Old 2008-10-26, 12:46   Link #1880
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
BTW, the SSX has lesbot and tsundere-chan (or Subaru and Tea if you prefer), I think that reason is good enough to sell the whole CD... I almost forgot about them

It also canonized Zaffy (Further proof that 7arc reads this board XD) but that's not the point =-= (And I quite like Subaru and Tea thank you very much)