Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-02-18, 11:53   Link #2541
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Recently I came across a torrent called Usavich . It animation produced by Kanaban and airs on MTV Japan . It a quirky and hilarious show I would like everyone on AS to enjoy it. I would like to know if its consider licensed or I can post that torrent .

Usavich Site : http://www.mtvjapan.com/usavich/
By the way, to get yourself updated, MTV Asia also has Usavich:
http://www.mtvasia.com/Onair/Shows/Usavich/

And considering Oricon's DVD sales rankings for Feb. 6: Usavich was second only to Clannad!
Old 2009-02-18, 16:33   Link #2542
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
By the way, to get yourself updated, MTV Asia also has Usavich:
http://www.mtvasia.com/Onair/Shows/Usavich/
Do they allow other countries to view the episode, tried to play episode 1 but it said
"Sorry unable to retrieve this video"
edit: gives this message with all videos

edit:

adding a question, how do you call a photograph of the side of someone's face again, it has a certain name but I can't remember it, you can clearly see the line of the nose etc. on it

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2009-02-19 at 11:32.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 08:13   Link #2543
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

^^ I think it's called a mugshot.

Anyways, I was in Bangkok for leisure recently. I saw thin Standard Chartered ad - anyone can recognize this mangaka's art style? If so, what's his/her name?

ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 08:41   Link #2544
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
adding a question, how do you call a photograph of the side of someone's face again, it has a certain name but I can't remember it, you can clearly see the line of the nose etc. on it
A profile picture. For example: "The actor is photographed in profile, smoking a cigarette."
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 09:40   Link #2545
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

thanks and another question about a clothing piece, hat actually
What is this Japanese kind of hat wear called, samurai wear them as well as travellers back in that era, the hat is also worn in House of Flying daggers:

Spoiler for image:
Old 2009-02-22, 09:49   Link #2546
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

What Samurai wear is called Conical Straw Hat .... it goes by different names depending on the region

- In Japan, the hat is called sugegasa (菅笠?).

- In mainland China and Taiwan, it is called dǒu lì (斗笠; literally, a one-dǒu bamboo hat, 笠帽, 竹笠).

- In Korea, it is called satgat (삿갓), mostly worn by Buddhist monks.

- In Vietnam, the name is Nón lá (leaf hat).

More Info Wiki

2ND part of your question I have no idea , sorry
Old 2009-02-22, 10:20   Link #2547
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post

2ND part of your question I have no idea , sorry
there is no second part =P
but thank you for the quick answer
Old 2009-02-22, 13:19   Link #2548
Solafighter
Hige

What was the name again from a subbing group, that subs novels(, as well)?...

Something with B..Baka.. Boku.. Mmmh, they write reviews about novels, as well..

They are called something like B*k****-translations..

Would be a good help, if someone of you know, of what group im talking about.
Old 2009-02-22, 13:21   Link #2549
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

You are talking about the site www.baka-tsuki.net no?
Old 2009-02-22, 14:35   Link #2550
Solafighter
Hige

YES!

I thank you a lot, m8.
Old 2009-02-22, 17:13   Link #2551
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
YES!

I thank you a lot, m8.
Ever heard of Manganews? they keep a list of groups (links included) that do scanlations.

http://www.manganews.net/

It could prove useful should you ever look for another group in the future.
Old 2009-02-23, 20:06   Link #2552
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niv View Post
What happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object?
There are three possibilities:
First, the force will go around it at both or one side, just like water around a stone.
Second, the force will go right through it.
Third, the force will be stoped.

It depends of what the "force" is and what the object is like ... shape material and and and ....

In the end either the force was not unstoppable or the object was not really immovable ... or both.
Ah and there is a fourth possibilty ... they annihilate each other.
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 23:38   Link #2553
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalowres View Post
There are three possibilities:
First, the force will go around it at both or one side, just like water around a stone.
Second, the force will go right through it.
Third, the force will be stoped.

It depends of what the "force" is and what the object is like ... shape material and and and ....

In the end either the force was not unstoppable or the object was not really immovable ... or both.
Ah and there is a fourth possibilty ... they annihilate each other.
Its actually what is known as a false premise. Both constraints simply can't exist in the same universe so no answer is required. The proper response is to thump the person asking on the head with a mallet and yell "Ah Ha!!!".
Old 2009-02-24, 00:02   Link #2554
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niv View Post
What happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object?
Its kinda like the phrase maodun in chinese. mao is spear and dun is shield. The premise between this is a story. The abridged version goes like this:
An arms vendor with spears and shields was at a busy intersection. He yells, "See this spear? It is the all-powerful spear! It cannot be blocked by any shield!" and he demonstrates with the spear and it breaks a shield. A little later, the salesman yells, "See this shield? It can block any spear!" and he demonstates the defensive power of the shield. Some one who had seen the spear demonstration asked, "What would happen if the all-powerful spear was blocked by the invinsible shield? The shield cannot both block and not block the spear." The audience laughed at the salesman and he had no choice but to leave the city.
The point? maodun means contradictory. Therefore, this is a "false premise."(Vexx)

Why must we pay to access the internet and set up a domain in the internet when it is not owned by anyone being?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 05:42   Link #2555
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its actually what is known as a false premise. Both constraints simply can't exist in the same universe so no answer is required. The proper response is to thump the person asking on the head with a mallet and yell "Ah Ha!!!".
Thinking about the unthinkable, thinking about things that "can't" possible exist.
Theoretical it could happen even if it is impossible to happen in reality ... probably, since we do not know anything about the universe at all.

Oh and scientist actually thought about the same or something like that allready
Like, what happens if two equal forces hit each other.
(There can't be two 100% equally forces, ask a physicist if you do not want to belive me)

If you do not want to think about something like that, don't think about it but don't say that such a question is nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
Its kinda like the phrase maodun in chinese. mao is spear and dun is shield. The premise between this is a story. The abridged version goes like this:
An arms vendor with spears and shields was at a busy intersection. He yells, "See this spear? It is the all-powerful spear! It cannot be blocked by any shield!" and he demonstrates with the spear and it breaks a shield. A little later, the salesman yells, "See this shield? It can block any spear!" and he demonstates the defensive power of the shield. Some one who had seen the spear demonstration asked, "What would happen if the all-powerful spear was blocked by the invinsible shield? The shield cannot both block and not block the spear." The audience laughed at the salesman and he had no choice but to leave the city.
People thought about something like that for a long time.
And if you change the story that there were two salesmen it would lead to the question from Niv

Last edited by mangalowres; 2009-02-24 at 05:58.
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 15:44   Link #2556
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalowres View Post
Thinking about the unthinkable, thinking about things that "can't" possible exist.
Theoretical it could happen even if it is impossible to happen in reality ... probably, since we do not know anything about the universe at all.

Oh and scientist actually thought about the same or something like that allready
Like, what happens if two equal forces hit each other.
(There can't be two 100% equally forces, ask a physicist if you do not want to belive me)

If you do not want to think about something like that, don't think about it but don't say that such a question is nonsense.
Um, hi, you're speaking to someone who degreed and majored in engineering and minored in astrophysics. and I'm working towards teaching math/physics.

By definition, an immovable object and an irresistable force are axiomatic assertions which cannot exist in the same theoretical environment.

So, sorry but "theoretically" it is a quite nonsensical statement. And no, people who study science do *know* a little bit about the universe. You might as well have taken one color and defined it as both "black" and "white". A geometric equivalence might be asserting that both of these are true in a single planar space:
1) Parallel lines do not converge. (euclidean space axiom)
2) Parallel lines converge. (non-euclidean space axiom)
It is a nonsense pairing of assertions.

As for "two equal forces" - that's a Greek theoretical construct in their "perfect world" mathematics. I believe I can call myself a physicist at least in terms of study so thanks to quantum behavior, it is statistically quite unlikely that two opposing forces are ever precisely equal and it is impossible to tune it to be. The terms "Immovable" and "Irresistable" exist only in that "imagined perfect world".

So yes, the question is a nonsense question - it isn't even a good Zen koan. No epiphany at the end. At least Zeno's paradox led us eventually to calculus

Quote:
People thought about something like that for a long time.
Really? What people? The question exists purely as a humorous demonstration of impossible environments and the danger of murky definitions. Mostly it is used as a gotcha-question to trip up young students who are just learning about thinking. As dragon4dudes points out, this "physics joke" has been around for a very long time in various formats.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-02-24 at 16:16.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 17:12   Link #2557
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Rules for this thread:
  1. Only purposeful questions may be posted here. If anyone posts a pointless silly question I will banish your post to the dark side.
  2. While the questions may be silly, only serious answers are allowed. It is embarrassing enough for people to ask these silly things without having to deal with mockery.
  3. No long discussion shall be tolerated here. This is a place for people to find answers.

Only reply to recent posts from this thread!
Reminder on the rules to this thread. I would point out that if there are further replies to the above recent questions/answers then expect the post to be deleted
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 22:06   Link #2558
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

So anyways, back to the topic (whatever that really is), I reask my question that everyone seemed to overlook... Why must we pay to access the internet and set up a domain in the internet when it is not owned by anyone being?

Old 2009-02-24, 22:16   Link #2559
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
So anyways, back to the topic (whatever that really is), I reask my question that everyone seemed to overlook... Why must we pay to access the internet and set up a domain in the internet when it is not owned by anyone being?
Because "the internet" is actually a huge duct taped ratnest of a variety of pieces each owned by corporations or government entities. Your access to this ratnest of cables is leased to you by the next guy upstream and they lease their upstream from someone else. At some point there are cross streams where upper-tier entities pay each other for connectivity.

Domains administration and control has been outsourced to service companies who all agree to play by the rules that ICANN sets forth. Maintaining the dns servers, records, etc. all have equipment and labor costs.

The idea is very organic and ideally everyone and every entity at every level has multiple ways to connect. But since magic pixies aren't running it there are costs and of course, profits.
Old 2009-02-24, 22:25   Link #2560
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

hmm.... makes sense. So its really the internet that is free for use but because the internet is only existent due to companies that own servers which connected to each other which are the gateways to magical world of 1s and 0s that users have to pay fees... got it.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious