AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-06-06, 09:57   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Your thoughts on AnimeSuki get togethers/parties?

Not promoting this yet, but I'm more digging for opinions on doing something like this. Myself and others have done this on other forums before to great success and I was thinking about it here too. Not sure if AnimeSuki has ever done a member get together, but I think it would be fun. Usually they're done by region (ie in the US you could do the party in Washington DC and anyone within 200 miles around is invited) and everyone from that area gathers at one restaurant or one location and meets everyone else personally and talks, chats, eats, drinks, and just has fun. Would you guys think this would be fun to do? Or is the membership of this forum too spread out to do this? Or would everyone be to uninterested in this? Like I said, I'm only interested in finding out at this time if anyone would be interested in doing this and maybe how we would do it.

Of course we could also have ourselves a huge "Animesuki-Con" where we all meet at a huge convension center and do anime stuff for 3 days.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 10:28   Link #2
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Not promoting this yet, but I'm more digging for opinions on doing something like this. Myself and others have done this on other forums before to great success and I was thinking about it here too. Not sure if AnimeSuki has ever done a member get together, but I think it would be fun. Usually they're done by region (ie in the US you could do the party in Washington DC and anyone within 200 miles around is invited) and everyone from that area gathers at one restaurant or one location and meets everyone else personally and talks, chats, eats, drinks, and just has fun. Would you guys think this would be fun to do? Or is the membership of this forum too spread out to do this? Or would everyone be to uninterested in this? Like I said, I'm only interested in finding out at this time if anyone would be interested in doing this and maybe how we would do it.

Of course we could also have ourselves a huge "Animesuki-Con" where we all meet at a huge convension center and do anime stuff for 3 days.
errr... no offense but... I hate parties... but your idea is great... I guess...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 10:37   Link #3
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_Burn
errr... no offense but... I hate parties... but your idea is great... I guess...

You hate parties o.O @_@..... >.<

Well, I wouldn't mind chillin with some cute girls from this forum. But most of the people who are members of this forum live in different countries, so it would be hard to make some get togethers.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 10:41   Link #4
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
If it's doable for you US residents (and filthy rich non-US residents who can fly there on a hinch), then why not? We have get-togethers on another forum that I'm a member in and many of the members there are like a second family to me, mainly because of those fun get-togethers. It's always nice socializing with people who aren't in your "usual" social group.

Of course, it's on a much smaller scale considering we're located in Sweden and mainly in the middle and southern parts of the country, so not a very long way to travel like it would be from Seattle to Washington DC for example
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 10:50   Link #5
eLstar
(^_^)v

I wouldn't mind doing something like this. Just one huge AnimeSuki part many of the members in this forum would be interesting. This probably will never happen, but it's a nice thought. The only one that I think would be possible would be the people in the same region, but I don't know if many people want to meet total strangers.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 11:57   Link #6
7thMethuselah

I'd sure try to come, but i won't go to the states just for that, but if there is a get together in europe (in france belgium holland germany or england) I'd try to make it possible to be there
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 12:07   Link #7
LynnieS

There're people from all ages here as well, which, for the younger AS members, the get-together wouldn't work.

"Mom! Can I go to D.C. for the weekend? A bunch of people I met on-line are getting together!"

"... Young man, you're grounded! And when your father gets home..."

You're going to have to put an age limit also, I think.

What happened to the IRC party that was being planned?
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 12:24   Link #8
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Lexander and I tried to meet up at Fanime, but that ended up not working out.

I'm reminded of a friend talking about a local anime club that shall remain nameless -
• People would go into the room to watch anime
• People would sit silently and watch the anime
• People would get up and leave the SECOND the anime viewing was done

He tried to set up a pizza night or bowling night or something, but only 2 people out of the group showed any interest at all. The rest were like "no anime? I'm staying home."

Hopefully there are enough members on here that we wouldn't have to worry about stuff like that - if people were to set up barbecues or pool nights - but it would probably be best to start with something anime-related (screening night or anime con) and see how well that works out, IMHO.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 12:27   Link #9
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Hehe, that I could see. 18+ if your going to be drinking alcohol there, probably...lol
We could have our own "youth division" YMOAS-con, meet at the daycare and we can watch anime-barney all dayyyyy long while we sip on warm milk
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 12:53   Link #10
CerealKiller
MoralMan

Send a message via AIM to CerealKiller Send a message via MSN to CerealKiller Send a message via Yahoo to CerealKiller
I would go, but only if one would be in the Netherlands or Belgium. So...
maybe we could first see some movie (anime or not, i'd prefer japanese though) and then have a drink with those who want to
CerealKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 12:58   Link #11
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Yeah, there are way too many ppl in different countries. So it would probably be U.S. only members if you did throw one, unless people wanna shell out big money to fly here. Or it would be held in a different country, who knows. It isn't lookin too good.
Old 2004-06-06, 13:02   Link #12
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

Awww that sounds really cooool! I would deffinately try and go to one if it did happen, but yeah it would have to be one in the UK...even then it may not be possible!
How many people are from the UK on here anyway?!
O.o Ahhh damn, i haven't posted in..well since forever! ;____;
Well anyway i think it is a great idea and hope it soon becomes reality, that would be funky...although...party...don't expect me to dance or anything
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 13:30   Link #13
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
Lexander and I tried to meet up at Fanime, but that ended up not working out.

I'm reminded of a friend talking about a local anime club that shall remain nameless -
• People would go into the room to watch anime
• People would sit silently and watch the anime
• People would get up and leave the SECOND the anime viewing was done

He tried to set up a pizza night or bowling night or something, but only 2 people out of the group showed any interest at all. The rest were like "no anime? I'm staying home."

Hopefully there are enough members on here that we wouldn't have to worry about stuff like that - if people were to set up barbecues or pool nights - but it would probably be best to start with something anime-related (screening night or anime con) and see how well that works out, IMHO.
At my old anime club people actually did stuff other than just watch anime. In between breaks and stuff, they'd talk, some people would share their manga, etc. It was a social atmosphere, but unfortunately everyone there either looked like they came from Revenge of the Nerds or Tron, so I never ended up talking or making friends with anyone. They were just too......WEIRD!

Anyways, I've seen this kind of thing happen on another forum I go to. Personally though, even if it did work out I wouldn't go unless it was less than 20 miles away from me. And even then I might not, because like Sid I don't like parties, especially large parties with people I don't really know (or even if I do know them, I just don't like large groups of people). Why don't you plan to have it on the Moon? That would be equal distance for everyone
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 13:36   Link #14
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Well, it's not like we're all TOTAL strangers, is it...?

If I were to actually plan something (which I don't have the ability to do, really) then it wouldn't be a kegger-party or rave-glowstick party, it would be more like a laid-back lounge party where actual conversation was going on. You know, got some guys playing Xbox over there, people watching baseball over here, and some people chilling on the couch talking about school in the other room...
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 14:08   Link #15
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
Well, it's not like we're all TOTAL strangers, is it...?

If I were to actually plan something (which I don't have the ability to do, really) then it wouldn't be a kegger-party or rave-glowstick party, it would be more like a laid-back lounge party where actual conversation was going on. You know, got some guys playing Xbox over there, people watching baseball over here, and some people chilling on the couch talking about school in the other room...
the real question is where would we do it?

and where do i buy chloroform

*dont mind me, i paranoid.*
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 14:26   Link #16
wnkryo
HainShodan

If the party is at new york city then im in.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 14:31   Link #17
kakashilion
has big feet

everyone round my house after school...k?
kakashilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 15:22   Link #18
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
I'd love to go chill with any of the Animesuki members.

If anyone is in the New Jersey or NYC area and wants to meet up, PM me. In fact if anyone ever goes to vacation in that area, let me know.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 15:29   Link #19
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

You guys do make a good point. To bring everyone in we'd have to break things down by region. Major region that is. IE.. Europe, Asia, Japan, US East, US West, Canada, etc. I'm sure we could work out some of the details and make this work if we really wanted to. Any viable ideas how we might make this work if everyone wanted to go?
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 16:04   Link #20
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Hmm I party eh? Well I do do this type of stuff on other forums, but they are car forums. You can usually find me at any Honda meet, Type R meet, or Euro meet. They are great fun, usually cuz when we meet it really is a party not just some get together. We BBQ and what not, drink, go hit up a club or something afterwards. We havent had any recently though, but as soon as summer comes theres gunna be like 1 a week XD.

Our groups on the other hand are all local though so Im not sure if doing a "party" w/ a global group is such a good idea. Since people are so spread out youd be lucky to get 10 people IMO unless you got alot of people within 2 hours of the desired spot. I mean who wants to go some place thats way out of there way and then it ends up to be a low turn out. Our groups are usually in the 20's and everyone is local. The farthest weve had someone come to a Honda meet before was San Fransico to San Diego *California*. Thats about an 8 hour drive so that was pretty cool of him to show up.

If you guys were gunna do this you should do it for the area where you would get the biggest and most deffinent turn out. NO FLAKES.
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote