AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2018-12-08, 03:00   Link #81
AnimeFan188

Japanese Government Aims to Impose Penalties for
Downloading Illegal Books:

"Japan's Agency of Cultural Affairs revealed on Friday that it plans to instate a penalty
for anyone who pays to download manga, magazines, novels, essays, and photographs
from the internet with the knowledge that they have been uploaded illegally. Under the
proposed revisions, the penalty can be up to two years prison time or up to a 2 million
yen (about US$17,740) fine. The agency intends to submit revisions to the Copyright
Act in the next ordinary session of the Diet in 2019.

Current laws only punish the consumer of pirated media in cases where the media in
question is music or video. The proposal will expand the law to include books."

See:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-books/.140536

Interesting that their anti-piracy campaign features a pirate in its artwork:

AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-08, 09:56   Link #82
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Japanese Government Aims to Impose Penalties for
Downloading Illegal Books:

"Japan's Agency of Cultural Affairs revealed on Friday that it plans to instate a penalty
for anyone who pays to download manga, magazines, novels, essays, and photographs
from the internet with the knowledge that they have been uploaded illegally. Under the
proposed revisions, the penalty can be up to two years prison time or up to a 2 million
yen (about US$17,740) fine. The agency intends to submit revisions to the Copyright
Act in the next ordinary session of the Diet in 2019.

Current laws only punish the consumer of pirated media in cases where the media in
question is music or video. The proposal will expand the law to include books."

See:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-books/.140536
In other words, if it's free, then there is no problem? So as long as you are not an idiot and pay the pirate, you are fine? Seems a bit of a strange approach to me, but I guess it's for the sake of discouraging those who want to profit more than just with ad-revenue, i.e. this is a measure against individuals like Tazmo and sites like his "Narutofan" in the past which had that whole premium feature where you had to pay to get access to high-speed download servers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Interesting that their anti-piracy campaign features a pirate in its artwork:

[-IMG-]https://cdn.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/max300x600/cms/interest.2/134969/stoppiracy.jpg[-/IMG-]
Yea, that seems kind of dumb and will probably have the opposite effect. Just showing Conan and maybe someone like L from Death Note would have been better.
Old 2018-12-09, 00:27   Link #83
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
In other words, if it's free, then there is no problem? So as long as you are not an idiot and pay the pirate, you are fine? Seems a bit of a strange approach to me, but I guess it's for the sake of discouraging those who want to profit more than just with ad-revenue, i.e. this is a measure against individuals like Tazmo and sites like his "Narutofan" in the past which had that whole premium feature where you had to pay to get access to high-speed download servers?
They are mean to deter people to official source, if people were to willing to pay for the pirate, obviously they'd be willing to pay. It different from those who never intend to pay in the 1st place. This can effectively raise revenue rather than just blasting pirate and not getting much in return

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Yea, that seems kind of dumb and will probably have the opposite effect. Just showing Conan and maybe someone like L from Death Note would have been better.
Yeah, i agree with this though.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-09, 09:29   Link #84
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
They are mean to deter people to official source, if people were to willing to pay for the pirate, obviously they'd be willing to pay. It different from those who never intend to pay in the 1st place. This can effectively raise revenue rather than just blasting pirate and not getting much in return
ANN screwed up the translation. They have updated that article with a correction.
Old 2018-12-09, 12:59   Link #85
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

And how do they even plan to catch DDLs over encrypted connections?
Old 2018-12-10, 03:29   Link #86
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

well recently Viz Shonen Jump pretty change the model so that new manga chapter will be free. I hope Japan follow the suit so that more people to chose legit way to support they favorite manga.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote