AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2018-07-24, 12:30   Link #141
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

“Mature” does not automatically equate to showing skin, man.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-24, 14:53   Link #142
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
“Mature” does not automatically equate to showing skin, man.
Oh, don't worry, I know that. I just consider it a missed opportunity when the show's rating provides a window to portray Starfire as her gorgeous sensual-self which is true to the comic, yet they made Dick-Robin killing people brutally when it's not necessary and does not represent the character in almost all incarnations of him. It's almost like the people who made this show came from Bizarro world .
Old 2018-07-24, 20:19   Link #143
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It's almost like the people who made this show came from Bizarro world .
My knee-jerk reaction, going by the few glimpses of action in the trailer would tend to be the same. But I've been fooled before. "Fuck Batman", indeed. Sheesh.

Old 2018-07-26, 00:05   Link #144
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Isnt this Titans incarnation supposed to be led by Dick? Why is he acting like Jason while high on pcp? God damn grimderp DC >:[
Old 2018-07-26, 01:20   Link #145
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
So...if you were put off by the Titans adaptation, you might find a measure of solace in the upcoming third season of Young Justice, rebranded Young Justice: Outsiders:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

First part of the trailer is a recap, the actual new footage starts somewhere at the halfway mark.
Damnit!! Deathstroke cut his ponytail!
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-26, 22:29   Link #146
BPD Renegade

Was that Dick gunning people down? Yeah, I get this was a time when he was at odds with Batman, but what the hell is this shit? This is Dick not Jason.

Aquaman trailer looks promising and looking forward to YJ.

Quote:
IIRC she's becoming more cold and slutty during the New 52 run. Also, Starfire is supposed to be one of the most gorgeous...umm....female humanoids in DC-verse. In this LA-version, she looks like a cheap prostitute that you can pick up on the streets of *insert a big US city of your choice*. I mean, if the super-long hair is not needed then certainly you can find actresses that at least look closer to the gorgeous Starfire. Heck, even these cosplayers did a better job looking like a good Starfire than what we currently have. Just find the ones with decent acting chops. There should be thousands out there in the US alone.
Yeah, that was the beginning of the original RHATO, though they later explained why she was acting like that. Although, I wouldn't say she was slutty... just casual about sex. As for the rest of what you mentioned, they would probably get into a shit ton of trouble if they had her in her original Outlaws "uniform."

Spoiler for RHATO Starfire:
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-26, 23:26   Link #147
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
As for the rest of what you mentioned, they would probably get into a shit ton of trouble if they had her in her original Outlaws "uniform."

Spoiler for RHATO Starfire:
Maybe not that extreme, but something a bit more racy than Baywatch swimsuits. Something that those cosplayers wear in my previous examples for starters.

What’s the limit of “Mature”-Rating anyway? Profanities? Titillating content? Gallons of blood? I mean, if Baywatch can get away with chicks running around in swimsuits, I assume a "Mature" show can get away with one chick running around in a slightly more provocative swimsuit/bikini .
Old 2018-07-26, 23:42   Link #148
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

This is really one of those usual times where DC Animation bests their LA counterparts.

And there's still the chance that Wally isn't really "dead" since he sort of "died" the same way Barry died in Crisis, so you could probably say his existence is still tied to the Speed Force.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-31, 02:04   Link #149
BPD Renegade

Quote:
Maybe not that extreme, but something a bit more racy than Baywatch swimsuits. Something that those cosplayers wear in my previous examples for starters.

What’s the limit of “Mature”-Rating anyway? Profanities? Titillating content? Gallons of blood? I mean, if Baywatch can get away with chicks running around in swimsuits, I assume a "Mature" show can get away with one chick running around in a slightly more provocative swimsuit/bikini .
That's something I've never really been able to figure out. The FCC is pretty vague:
Quote:
TV-MA - these programs are intended to be viewed by mature, adult audiences and may be unsuitable for children under 17.)
From what I've seen, the minimum requirements for MA ratings are if the f-bomb is dropped or if there's explicit gore. For JoJo, Toonami seems to always give an MA rating on episodes with even a hint of nudity or implications of sex. But considering the Inhumans crap got away with a G-rating when the very first scene was a drawn out session of foreplay between two completely naked individuals, I don't see why something rated mature wouldn't be able to have a scantily clad main character if it wanted to.

I'm still having trouble believing that awful wig and costume for Starfire is legit and not a joke though. Star's supposed to be one of the hottest characters in comics. Can't believe they did that.
Old 2018-07-31, 20:59   Link #150
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Guess I'm one of the 12 people in the globe who liked the Starfire they showed in the trailer and is willing to give this show a shot.

Rags Morales himself used Naomi Campbell to design his take on the tamaranian exiled princess, so I am more pissed at Robin's "- F**** Batman!" and killing folks (they BETTER explain that) than I am by the fact they chose a black woman to portray an orange alien.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-31, 22:03   Link #151
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
Guess I'm one of the 12 people in the globe who liked the Starfire they showed in the trailer and is willing to give this show a shot.

Rags Morales himself used Naomi Campbell to design his take on the tamaranian exiled princess, so I am more pissed at Robin's "- F**** Batman!" and killing folks (they BETTER explain that) than I am by the fact they chose a black woman to portray an orange alien.
well my problem was exactly that a "orange alien" not a black, take gamorra from MCU, her actress is black but she is "green" or even the mutano at last they "tried to paint him green", but unless what they said is true and she is on a "cospoor" and that is not her real look with that joke wig and horrible costume then i'm fine with the actress and i'm also annoyed by the "fu**" batman and killing "peoples" (wtf since when dick become a murder), even if they where alliens disguised still don't make him any less bad, that trailer the only really good thing was robin costume, because everything else looked really weird even raven.
Old 2018-08-01, 05:56   Link #152
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
than I am by the fact they chose a black woman to portray an orange alien.
Pretty much no one cares about this part. Don't turn the legit complaints into something they're not.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-01, 06:40   Link #153
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Pretty much no one cares about this part. Don't turn the legit complaints into something they're not.
Oh, dude. Don't be naive. Or worse, gaslight others.
A lot of people complain about that. And the "hotness" bit.

Just look at the Buzzfeed article. "She is too fat and too dark for starfire"; "You being starfire is racist, starfire is not african"; "I'm not racist Just take a look at the comic.Starfire is more orange than black.The actress should be Latino instead of black"

But I digress.
The series may have a lot of problems (I'm one of the naysayers, myself), but doing that kind of shit is not going to help those that have any legitimate issues with it. It just makes everyone else aggravated to be even mildly associated with them.

Old 2018-08-01, 07:21   Link #154
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I think anyone can legitimately complain about an actor not resembling an already-established character in the role. I mean, if someday, Superman is played by a black-and-bald dude or if Robin is played by a chubby/obese boy in their upcoming non-parody & non-alternate universe movies, I can guarantee that thousands of tables will be flipped and justifiably so. If you want to use a certain actor that doesn't fit into a pre-established character then don't use him/her in that role. Give him/her a role that fits better or create an original character for him/her to play. Is that too much to ask?

Physical appearance has been one of the most important elements of Starfire as a character unlike, say, John Constantine. The LA Starfire actor just doesn't look good in the role and just doesn't resemble the brilliance of the character in her appearance in other media (comics, cartoons, games, etc) regardless of the race. The hair doesn't even look right. She looks closer to Oprah in the trailer. And yes, my complaint only applies to the trailer (for now). Does that make me a racist? Only if people interpret it that way. The choice is yours. In this politically-correct climate, whatever you do, there are always people out there who try to bring you down by using ambiguous "sensitive-offensive matter"-measurement stick.
Old 2018-08-01, 16:28   Link #155
Chosen_Hero

I am intrigued and willing to give the Titans tv show a chance since trailers are just made up of scenes taken out of context, besides, I never expected to get a 1 - 1 recreation of either the comics or the tv show (also, it is called Titans, not Teen Titans for a reason).

With that said:

The loom at the new season of Arrow looks great so far, Escape from Supermax is definitely going to be interesting to see.
Old 2018-08-01, 16:36   Link #156
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
also, it is called Titans, not Teen Titans for a reason.
well to be fair you do have 2 teams of "titans" in the comics, the "teeny ones" (which the peoples around 10 to 15 at best where damian is the currently leader) and the ones around "young adult age like 16 to 20.

you have the "titans" and "teen titans team", they are 2 different teams.
Old 2018-08-01, 18:57   Link #157
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
well to be fair you do have 2 teams of "titans" in the comics, the "teeny ones" (which the peoples around 10 to 15 at best where damian is the currently leader) and the ones around "young adult age like 16 to 20.

you have the "titans" and "teen titans team", they are 2 different teams.
I know, that is why I said that there is a reason as to why this show is called Titans and not Teen Titans.
Old 2018-08-02, 02:07   Link #158
BPD Renegade

Quote:
I am intrigued and willing to give the Titans tv show a chance since trailers are just made up of scenes taken out of context, besides, I never expected to get a 1 - 1 recreation of either the comics or the tv show (also, it is called Titans, not Teen Titans for a reason).
I don't think anyone was expecting a one-to-one adaptation, whether it's Titans, Teen Titans, or what have you. Except for Kon, the Young Justice tv show's initial team was made up of entirely different characters and scenarios, but it was still well-received. Same with Dick and the old CN Teen Titans. Plus, it was fairly clear from the roles and tidbits of info we got leading up to the trailer that this wouldn't be a 1-1 adaptation either -- no Donna, no Wally, no Garth, no Roy.

The complaints, at least in my case, are that Dick's character seems to be completely different and they could have done a far better job on Star's costume, especially compared to how detailed the Robin costume is. As Obelisk mentioned, this is worse than an average cosplay. I'll also reiterate that the wig is atrocious. But hey, if this really is her getup, maybe there's a chance we'll see disco-Nightwing.

After watching the trailer again, I noticed that Dick is in a tie and office setting when Raven approaches him. He may already be in Bludhaven and working as an officer when the series starts. Interesting...
Old 2018-08-02, 05:12   Link #159
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
I don't think anyone was expecting a one-to-one adaptation, whether it's Titans, Teen Titans, or what have you. Except for Kon, the Young Justice tv show's initial team was made up of entirely different characters and scenarios, but it was still well-received. Same with Dick and the old CN Teen Titans. Plus, it was fairly clear from the roles and tidbits of info we got leading up to the trailer that this wouldn't be a 1-1 adaptation either -- no Donna, no Wally, no Garth, no Roy.

The complaints, at least in my case, are that Dick's character seems to be completely different and they could have done a far better job on Star's costume, especially compared to how detailed the Robin costume is. As Obelisk mentioned, this is worse than an average cosplay. I'll also reiterate that the wig is atrocious. But hey, if this really is her getup, maybe there's a chance we'll see disco-Nightwing.

After watching the trailer again, I noticed that Dick is in a tie and office setting when Raven approaches him. He may already be in Bludhaven and working as an officer when the series starts. Interesting...
The complaints about Dick Grayson male no sense, there have been many interpretations were Dick ends up hating Batman to an extent, for example, the one from the Teen Titans tv show was definitely unhappy with Batman to the point where he went solo until he founded the Teen Titans.

As for Starfire, that is not her costume in the trailer, it has already been stated that scene takes place after she has just left a nightclub (besides, that outfit isn't stripperific enough to be her costume). Also the curly hair complain is dumb just on the fact that her hair has taken different forms as well, in some interpretations she had straight long hair and in other she has had puffy slightly curly hair.

In my opinion people are just nitpicking because hating on DC is the trend at the moment (although not all of the complaints are unwarranted).

With that said I hope that Dick Grayson becomes Nightwing at the most by the end of season 1, too bad we most likely will not get the true origin of the Nightwing name which is one of the cool things about him. Also, please don't let there be a romance between Raven and Beast Boy, I was never a fan of that pairing. And lastly, please for the love of God get Manu Bennet to play Deathstroke.
Old 2018-08-02, 05:58   Link #160
GDB

Quote:
The complaints about Dick Grayson male no sense, there have been many interpretations were Dick ends up hating Batman to an extent, for example, the one from the Teen Titans tv show was definitely unhappy with Batman to the point where he went solo until he founded the Teen Titans.
Going solo and becoming a murderer are kind of different things, you know?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote