AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-02-18, 18:04   Link #1
ss_goku4
Perverted Teacher

Send a message via MSN to ss_goku4
A break from Final Fantasys

For those who are still in the Final Fantasy state of gaming, you should take a look at Disgaea. That Game Rocks!! Personally, instead of getting Final Fantasy X-2, I got Disgaea instead. Im crazy huh. I have nothing against Final Fantasy, in fact I love the series, but I needed a break from, them. But Disgaea can't be passed up. Trust me.
ss_goku4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-19, 10:00   Link #2
Zephronite
gorogorogorogoro

Or you could eschew Japanese RPGs altogether and play some good old western RPGs.
Good ones inlude the Fallout series, Baldur's Gate series... etc. etc.
Zephronite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-19, 10:15   Link #3
Thany
Unfair

This game sound fun but well, it isn't up in France
Old 2004-02-19, 17:42   Link #4
Soulfang
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephronite
Or you could eschew Japanese RPGs altogether and play some good old western RPGs.
Good ones inlude the Fallout series, Baldur's Gate series... etc. etc.
WTF WESTERN R U GAY LOLZ

Seriously, I haven't played a Western-made RPG that I've enjoyed ever.
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-19, 18:58   Link #5
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfang
WTF WESTERN R U GAY LOLZ

Shame this thread will get closed now
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 02:35   Link #6
Zephronite
gorogorogorogoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfang
WTF WESTERN R U GAY LOLZ

Shame some people can't learn to broaden their horizons.
Zephronite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 04:41   Link #7
Fei-san
Monkeykyou Sharingan

Fallout is indeed a very good game.
Go and play it, Fallout 2 prefered
Fei-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 04:55   Link #8
htpcfan
L1: Lazy Puppy

Exclamation

knights of the old republic is pretty fun. though I agree fallout was awesome. And who could forget Baldur's Gate when it first came out.

I've wasted enough man hours on Disgaea... OMG, but what a fun game (esp. for people who love to level-up... 9999 lvls...) I'm getting tired of the whole "level-up, get-rewarded-with-cool-CG scheme" that a lot of RPGs fall into...

If you like Disgaea you should like the other game by Nippon-Ichi... I think it's called Phantom Brave. My SRPG-crazy brother got it some time ago and couldn't stop raving about it.

Me? ...I wish I had time to play... Though occasionally I pick up my SP and play some Fire Emblem... ahhh... kinda unforgiving in terms of difficulty (to have nobody die) though...
htpcfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 07:37   Link #9
Biohazard
-kanashii~desu-

Send a message via ICQ to Biohazard Send a message via MSN to Biohazard
Yeah, Kotor is pretty good, but i yet have to play as a dark yedi heheheeeeee...

Fallout 1 and 2 and Tactics own ... yay
Jagged Alliance 2 was good too... mhm ^^
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 10:40   Link #10
MrMonkey
Meeeeeeee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard
Yeah, Kotor is pretty good, but i yet have to play as a dark yedi heheheeeeee...
The dark side calls you.....

Dark jedi owns, you get an evil looking face and everything

KOTOR is one of the few western RPG's that I have enjoyed, that I can think of right now anyway. I think I'll try Fallout, since I've heard good things.
MrMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 15:09   Link #11
ss_goku4
Perverted Teacher

Send a message via MSN to ss_goku4
Quote:
If you like Disgaea you should like the other game by Nippon-Ichi... I think it's called Phantom Brave.
Yeah, I've heard of that too. Im considering to get it. I also heard of La Pucille, or something like that.

As for Western RPGs. Rpgs are Rpgs, leave them alone! Some are great, some suck regardless from where they are. Don't be ignorant. Open your eyes, and try new things.

Has anyone tried a game called Ragnarok? Its supposed to be an online RPG game, but I don't know how it plays. A little help here?
ss_goku4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 16:44   Link #12
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to kcl822
Today I bought Final Fantasy chronicles and origins so I doubt I'll take a break from the anytime soon (I still have to finish 9 and X-2). I'm missing Anthology now..... I shall go to hunt it soon.
Old 2004-02-20, 17:03   Link #13
Babak

A break from Final Fantasy? No way!
Just got Final Fantasy X-2, so I'm looking forward hours of fun with Yuna and her friends!

Maybe I'll check it out after I've finished FFX-2 (and some other games).
Babak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-22, 15:08   Link #14
EliteJounin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babak
A break from Final Fantasy? No way!
Just got Final Fantasy X-2, so I'm looking forward hours of fun with Yuna and her friends!

Maybe I'll check it out after I've finished FFX-2 (and some other games).
Personally, I thought that having a sequel could have been better than FF-X. But it was not as good. The thought of the whole game revolving around girls is not as fun. Especially, when they act too feminine.
EliteJounin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-22, 19:26   Link #15
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
I took my break from Final Fantasy games a long time ago.. Since I've played video games when I was very young, I played the classics like Final fantasy mystic quest, Final fantasy 4 and Final fantasy 6.. When I learned about emulators later I played Final fantasy 5. ^^; I was a huge fan of the early games.. And I still am. I mean FF6 is my favorite game ever, even if it's not an anime style game. I liked FF7.. But I admit I didn't like it as much as the earlier ones.. FF8 is what really made me stray from the series. I don't think it's bad, but personally I didn't like it very much. I didn't get into it at all. FF9 was the only Final fantasy that I liked after FF7.. I didn't like FFX for some reason.

I'm not difficult when it comes to RPG's.. There are RPG's on the Snes that I've played that everyone hates.. And that I was addicted to. There are many series that I never got tired of.. Like Suikoden series or Breath of Fire series.. But I don't know.. It seemed that the Final Fantasy series changed a lot. Well, each games were very different from the others. But it seemed that as the series advanced, the creators were trying to reach a larger audience..
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 00:08   Link #16
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
hey hey another fan of 6. "cheers chummer, my favorite too"

i personally liked Suikoden's whole series more than the FF series. chrono trigger as well. which reminds me of the long time rumors ofa 3rd chrono game, but ihaven't believed those in so very long.

i haven't played "disgaea" so i can't comment on it. as for 'western' RPG's i've played some good and bad, as well as good/bad from japan (furthermore, usually the good ones are the only ones to get ported to american systems). anycase there are a whole bunch of good games out there, don't limit yourself by preconcieved notions.
fenrihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 03:21   Link #17
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I haven't played any Final Fantasy games in awhile because I don't own a PS2 or Gamecube. I never did enjoy FF 8 so I probably will not play FF X The only RPG I'm playing right is Neverwinter Nights, however I'm planning on getting a PS2 to play Xenosaga I and II.
Old 2004-02-26, 03:00   Link #18
Sukato
Kendo Fanatic

Neverwinter nights is great especially with the newest epic expansions... but..

Square Enix are still the geniuses of RPGs I think . I started FFXI..and its addictive beyond belief.

Luckily, SE is so good that FFXI has little or no bugs (I havent found any anyway), looks incredible, is multi-platform sharing the same servers, and the best part:

A good half or more of the player population is Japanese, so its a good place to practice the japanese we've learned from anime . Plus its a good way to learn more japanese. SE even put in a handy auto-translator, which isn't perfect, but its better than nothing.

There is that monthly charge..but I personally dont think its so bad. I have never seen a more in depth MMORPG. Everquest may have the hundreds of thousands of items, but FFXI tops it in just about every other way.

Plus, you can be a ninja or a samurai for those who are fans of those two .

Edit: Forgot to mention that most quests and missions are accompanied by scripted video events, that give it a more classic RPG feel. Final Fantasy style boss fights are also included at times.

Last edited by Sukato; 2004-02-26 at 03:11.
Sukato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 15:00   Link #19
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_goku4
Yeah, I've heard of that too. Im considering to get it. I also heard of La Pucille, or something like that.

As for Western RPGs. Rpgs are Rpgs, leave them alone! Some are great, some suck regardless from where they are. Don't be ignorant. Open your eyes, and try new things.

Has anyone tried a game called Ragnarok? Its supposed to be an online RPG game, but I don't know how it plays. A little help here?
It's "La Pucelle" and it's actually the prequel to Disgaea (not in terms of "plot", it was actually released 2 years before Disgaea.) looks like it's coming in March. The guy at Netjak who does imports likes SRPGs so he imports a lot of those. He had a lot of good things to say about Disgaea, Front Mission 4, and Generation of Chaos III. Bad things to say about Venus & Braves.

I haven't heard much about Ragnarok.

American RPGs aren't bad. Fallout was good. So was Fallout 2. However..both buggy as hell. Arcanum was also pretty good. The Western RPGs I DON'T like, though, are Western RPGs where they try and be like a Japanese RPG and just horribly fail.
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-27, 15:12   Link #20
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
what about deus ex?
that was a great RPG/action title a few years ago
im not so much a fan of the second one, but the first had a crazy complex story
i loved it
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote