AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-09-24, 20:42   Link #181
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

When I first picked up the series, I have already heard that it had a different approach in its storytelling through Hachiman's pessimistic monologues about socialization. Long ago, I related to that mindset as I had my share of "stumbles" in my social life. But over the years, just like Hachiman, there comes a moment that pushing away other people and maintaining a bleak outlook on the rose-colored life is actually a call for help. That people who tend to question the trueness of social interactions are actually those who long for something true... something genuine.

And now, as I grew with Hachiman and the rest of the cast, that loner mindset is now replaced by hopefulness that things would turn around someday. Hachiman did turn his life around, so it's possible. (And don't worry. I feel like things are way better now.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiman Hikigaya
“It doesn’t matter if we’re wrong…because every time we go wrong, we’ll continue to look for the right answer.”
Thanks Service Club.
ENTRY #376 GET.

And now, time to proceed with Jaku-chara Tomozaki-kun.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-24, 20:43   Link #182
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I wish we get Yui If end.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-24, 20:58   Link #183
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well theres a lot of awkwardness between Hachiman and Yukino

6/10 Well it kind of feels that the ending was kind of forced should of been another cour or a movie
Old 2020-09-24, 21:00   Link #184
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

This ending seemed weak....

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-24, 23:12   Link #185
Wandering Soul

The last season had it's issues and there were moments where I was pretty much zoning out, but this was a satisfying ending. Highlights include Iroha/Komachi banter, and Sensei's final scene. The romance scenes were nice too.

Despite gripes with the final season, I'm still happy this series got a proper conclusion anime-wise.
Old 2020-09-25, 08:52   Link #186
csuree
The Most Hated™

eww. last episode was a total cringe-fest. As I told In the LN forum too, there was literally no development between the 2 and in the last book it went from 0 to 100 in a flash so forced, it sent all the series in a huge downward spiral.
I though the wait was gonna worth it but NOT LIKE THIS.
not like this.

Yui at least made some effort to get Hachiman and it was a more well written development, seemed so natural. yet they killed that off.
I don't want to start a ship war or anything but if we talk about the natural flow of things Yui x Hachiman was a far more natural outcome.
Old 2020-09-25, 13:34   Link #187
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I'll have my full thoughts on this finale later, but for now, here's a short summary.
Old 2020-09-25, 13:51   Link #188
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuree View Post
As I told In the LN forum too, there was literally no development between the 2 and in the last book it went from 0 to 100 in a flash so forced, it sent all the series in a huge downward spiral.
What is this "0 to 100" that source-readers are talking about?
Old 2020-09-25, 19:44   Link #189
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

If you think KanoKari was cringe you can always rely on this series to see there can always be worse than that

Quote:
eww. last episode was a total cringe-fest. As I told In the LN forum too, there was literally no development between the 2 and in the last book it went from 0 to 100 in a flash so forced, it sent all the series in a huge downward spiral.
I though the wait was gonna worth it but NOT LIKE THIS.
not like this.

Yui at least made some effort to get Hachiman and it was a more well written development, seemed so natural. yet they killed that off.
I don't want to start a ship war or anything but if we talk about the natural flow of things Yui x Hachiman was a far more natural outcome.
Yukino was the obvious outcome since the beginning of the Ln series, many readers accepted that yet the author successfully managed to drag it out for years(delay, hiatus and other excuses from Watari) and make an underwhelming development until very end.

Last edited by Kuroageha; 2020-09-26 at 00:04.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-25, 21:42   Link #190
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ Cringe? What cringe? Oregairu is not the harem show with an insufferable jack-off-machine horndog MC .
Old 2020-09-25, 22:22   Link #191
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
^ Cringe? What cringe? Oregairu is not the harem show with an insufferable jack-off-machine horndog MC .
School Days takes the cake there.
Old 2020-09-26, 03:11   Link #192
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Planning to drag multiple schools into a scheme to make sure he will still have a common interest with the girl he likes.. It's a grand romantic gesture that only Hikigaya Hachiman could do and pull off, and a fitting end to this series.

I can understand why people didn't like the ending. There's this perception that Yukino didn't do enough, or didn't do anything, to win in the end while Yui was all over the place trying her best, well, sometimes you can't get what you want.

Time to rewatch season 1 and 2
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 04:56   Link #193
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
What is this "0 to 100" that source-readers are talking about?
Not a novel reader but the anime did pretty much the same with Yukino. You just have to look at the instagram scene. Grabbing Hachiman and making a selfie of them both was totally out of character and more something Yui and her clique would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
School Days takes the cake there.
Given the hastened ending we've got, I wish this had gone the school days route instead.
I'm pretty sure Yukino could afford a boat...

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 06:35   Link #194
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Not a novel reader but the anime did pretty much the same with Yukino. You just have to look at the instagram scene. Grabbing Hachiman and making a selfie of them both was totally out of character and more something Yui and her clique would do.
There's also this thing called "repressed intention" you know. There are people in this world who dreams about doing many things once they got themselves lovers who understand them. Sometimes, the things they want to do really contrast with how they regularly act when they are not with their lovers. Plenty of people do so IRL when they were alone with their significant others. In case of Yukinon, that is her first date with a legitimate lover. One of her repressed intentions can be something as simple as having selfie together. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Come on, people. This is common sense. Have you never spent quality time with your lovers/spouses before?? I'll give you an example of mine: I had a lady friend who is pretty stoic & stuck up around her coworkers in the office. But whenever she spent quality time with her boyfriend (later husband), be it romantic dinner or watching movies, she became more lively & eager to be doted on & spoiled by him. I know because her husband told me. He's a close-friend of mine. Heck, my wife also acts that way to a certain degree. So, are you going to label them as "being out of character" too? Hell no . They just have different sides depending on who they interact with. It's all normal & common.

Sometimes, you (some folks in this thread) talk like you don't know how actual people act in real life.
Old 2020-09-26, 07:58   Link #195
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

Yeah, agreed. That's not out of character.
I know because of my sister act like bitch and can be very controlling toward our younger siblings sometimes but very act sweetly and like good girl toward my soon to be brother in law. I hope he can be better than me when he wed her
Old 2020-09-26, 09:43   Link #196
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Yukino a wannabe normie I guess?

Going from 0 to 100 gives you kind of a blank slate because there's not much established in the story to go against... its not really an evolution of an existing relationship since they weren't friends as much as 'coworkers' most of the time. Although how believable it is probably comes down to who you were shipping. If it had gone a different way (with Yui or sensei) the middle school romance thing wouldn't have really worked because their relationships had much more of an established friendship to build from.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 10:33   Link #197
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Did you missed Yukino's confession during this date? This is the second time she wore this "special attire" to impress the one she loves. She wore them previously in S1 when she went to the mall with 8-man IIRC. So, Yukinon herself already put up some effort to win over 8-man. Not to mention how many times Yukinon asked 8-man to stop socially-sacrificing himself because it pained her to see him in that position.

Quote:
I'd say both are natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Yukino was the obvious outcome since the beginning of the Ln series, many readers accepted that yet the author successfully managed to drag it out for years(delay, hiatus and other excuses from Watari) and make an underwhelming development until very end.
So....let me get this right: aside from being salty that Yukinon "wins", source-readers are mostly pissed off by the delay, hiatus & excuses? That's kind of a petty reason to bash a story.

A story should be judged fairly on its own, not by mixing production issues behind the scenes. Can't say for the novel, but what ends up in the anime is very solid.
Old 2020-09-26, 11:01   Link #198
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I think the story could have been wrapped with a more succint and elegant arc right after the trio got their epiphany about "genuine".
The prom plot was very weird because characters seemed to make that project to be a bigger deal than anything else, and a single instance of doing that kind of job shouldn't really (in)validate Yukino's growth in term of being independant. So seeing Yukino and Haruno extremely serious business over that "to demonstrate Yukino is finally an adult" felt really shoehorned. In a way, I can see why people think S3 was slog, especially that we didn't really have many monologues for Hachiman, so some scenes felt a bit weird, like when Hachiman went his way to undo Yukino's grasp in ep11. Also, Yukino got sidelined for a long while and it was mostly Hachiman and Yui settling their feelings about that. So it makes Yukino's involvement borderline inexistent even though that arc is supposed to be about her.
Something like an actual discussion with Haruno and their mother would have been less painful and more to the point when it comes to Yukino issues.

On the flip side, I have hard time to believe people didn't see it coming when Hachiman himself mentioned how he admired Yukino as far as Season 1.
In my books, the notion of "choice" is alien considering how Hachiman felt about the club and Yukino right from the very beginning and how it went over their activities. It really doesn't matter who is the more popular or liked girl, but more like whom Hachiman had the best affinity with. Hachiman mostly had banters and actual discussions with Yukino. In comparison, the vast majority of his interactions with Yui were more like his inability to compute her tastes and other things (Not him waiting for her, food, etc). They are close friends for sure, but I don't see how they could make a couple especially Hachiman never demonstrated any attraction except the few moments he was physically too close to her.

Frankly, the only other character who could had a fighting chance in term of interactions with Hachiman was Shizuka, but both of them know that the premise of a relationship wouldn't work based on their initial Student/Teacher relationship + age gape.
Old 2020-09-26, 11:57   Link #199
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
There's also this thing called "repressed intention" you know. There are people in this world who dreams about doing many things once they got themselves lovers who understand them. Sometimes, the things they want to do really contrast with how they regularly act when they are not with their lovers. Plenty of people do so IRL when they were alone with their significant others. In case of Yukinon, that is her first date with a legitimate lover. One of her repressed intentions can be something as simple as having selfie together. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Come on, people. This is common sense. Have you never spent quality time with your lovers/spouses before?? I'll give you an example of mine: I had a lady friend who is pretty stoic & stuck up around her coworkers in the office. But whenever she spent quality time with her boyfriend (later husband), be it romantic dinner or watching movies, she became more lively & eager to be doted on & spoiled by him. I know because her husband told me. He's a close-friend of mine. Heck, my wife also acts that way to a certain degree. So, are you going to label them as "being out of character" too? Hell no . They just have different sides depending on who they interact with. It's all normal & common.

Sometimes, you (some folks in this thread) talk like you don't know how actual people act in real life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruki0089 View Post
Yeah, agreed. That's not out of character.
I know because of my sister act like bitch and can be very controlling toward our younger siblings sometimes but very act sweetly and like good girl toward my soon to be brother in law. I hope he can be better than me when he wed her
If she had at least blushed half as much as Hachiman, I would have let that count, but she didn't.
The scene felt as if Yui suddenly body swapped Yukino, made a picture with 8-man, and returned to her own body.

We haven't seen a lot of behavior even remotely similar to this from her at all, hence it was unexpected and out of her character. (Especially considering how she started out by behaving like Andersen from Fate towards 8-man)

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 12:01   Link #200
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

Dude, do we have to count how many time Yukino have to blush?
You can believe it's out of character but most people didn't.
Is it wrong for Yukino suddenly act deredere and finally able express herself more to her boyfriend?
Why not just think this how Yukino would act to her lover. Something she hold inside. Something she want express.
Or just think her as very aggressive girl that won't holding back to express herself more.