AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-12, 20:27   Link #341
Suikun

Quote:
And like I've said (more than once) to the people who feel that they are special because they like something that isn't common knowledge and now feel that is being taken away from them... please, get over yourselves. If you want to find something obscure to take pleasure in, find something OBSCURE! Don't pretend that a new anime series is going to stay your little niche fandom, because your show -is- gonna get licensed and you -will- have to put up with other people liking your fandom. Maybe you would do better with rock collecting or obscure English literature of the 19th century as a hobby - these are things that are unlikely to suddenly become popular on you. But don't believe that because you bootlegged an anime series before it comes out over here, that you've obtained some special l337ness; you haven't, man.
But, for the last time, that's not the point. It isn't because I think being into something obscure makes me l337 or cool or special - it's the idea of going against and forsaking what's popular in the US in favor of something that's not. Something that, unlike rock collecting, is actually good.

I'm saying it for the last time - it's a conflicting feeling to want something to become successful yet also see something that once was more or less going against the mainstream suddenly become the mainstream. It has asbolutely nothing to do with wanting to be l337 or even about being personally different from everyone else around you - the obscurity is something that adds a special shimmer to something already good, and as that gets taken away it can begin to concern me - not to the point where I'm going to stop watching anime or anything, or even wish that nothing gets licensed in the US; again, I want it to succeed.

Seriously, why the hell do you care? Why is it so damn important to you that I not have this one, and only one concern when anime becomes licensed? Just because you don't feel this way doesn't mean you suddenly have to try to force everyone else to share your opinion - nothing about this is harmful to the anime industry. I'm still going to support and buy the DVDs and probably any merchandising that comes from it. It's merely my opinion that because it's going to become so popular it takes one tiny little aspect away from it's appeal. Big deal - get over yourself in your thinking that you're so high and mighty with your opinions that you have to force them over others.

I am completely amazed at how much resistence everyone is putting up about this - it's like debating whether the color red is the best color or not. Geeze...

If somebody could at least explain why it's so wrong to feel this way instead of repeating over and over that you disagree, then I might be able to understand your point of view - but as it stands all anybody's done is said "being into something obscure doesn't make you l33t" (which, like I said, isn't the issue) and "your nothing but a selfish elitist", niether of which are giving me any reasons why.
Old 2004-05-12, 20:33   Link #342
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakreg
@AvatarADV
You've been discussing a lot of groups mentioned in SirCanealot's essay. How about those of us who buy what little anime we can afford (supporting the industry as much as we can) but want to see more? Are we just being selfish? (I'm just looking for your opinion.)
No it doesn't make you selfish, it makes you a pirate. As an industry rep, I think his stand on piracy has to be very clear in public otherwise it would be seen as a company endorsing piracy of their own products (or products in general).

This is no different from saying "I buy what games I can afford, but I want to play more so I download and burn them instead.".
Old 2004-05-12, 20:51   Link #343
Just a subtitler ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll
No it doesn't make you selfish, it makes you a pirate. As an industry rep, I think his stand on piracy has to be very clear in public otherwise it would be seen as a company endorsing piracy of their own products (or products in general).

This is no different from saying "I buy what games I can afford, but I want to play more so I download and burn them instead.".
I'd vote for "selfish pirate", actually, since the two aren't mutually exclusive. ^_^

Seriously, if you want to see more anime than you can afford, there are -plenty- of legitimate ways to do so.

- TV. Yeah, yeah, edited possibly, it's dubbed, this might not work for you. On the other hand, they beam it into your house, so it requires zero effort on your part. (And if you're watching Anime Network, it ain't edited. Hah!)

- Sales. It's almost trivial to get 20% off of anime DVDs nowadays. Right Stuf often runs sales into the 40% range. Hey, man, that's almost half off; you can get a lot more anime that way.

- Collections. If you can't afford the very newest stuff, there's plenty of anime that you can snap up in nice season-size sets for cheap.

- Used. You have to be careful when shopping - lots of Ebay anime sales are just pirated copies, not the real thing - but when somebody's done with their copy, they can sell it to you.

- Friends. If you have a hundred bucks, and your buddy has a hundred bucks, and you both want a season of anime that costs two hundred bucks... a solution suggests itself. Anime DVDs are easy to share (the legal way, by handing over the physical disc... not by pirating it online! >_<

- Clubs. If your college (and some high schools, nowadays) has an anime club, you can have access to a lot of anime.

Will this get you the NEW NEW NEW anime, right now, with zero expense? Nah. You can't do that without breaking the law, the same way I don't get to drive half a dozen sports cars that I "creatively acquired". Just how it goes...
Old 2004-05-12, 21:00   Link #344
method

Here's a question for you Suikun.
Why is it so important to you that you don't like what mainstream America likes?
Old 2004-05-12, 21:37   Link #345
otakreg
oXc

Send a message via AIM to otakreg
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll

Argh, me maties! I always did like One Piece ^_~.

Seriously though, this thread has gotten so ridiculous, I haven't taken anything in it seriously for several pages. The show is licensed but it will continue to be subbed and I will continue to download it; the industry will continue to grow without my money; I will continue supporting the industry as much as I can.

I'd like to thank AvatarADV for his money-saving suggestions (I'm currently trying to find the best deal I can on a Kare Kano DVD box set).
Old 2004-05-12, 22:36   Link #346
Griffith

Quote:
Argh, me maties! I always did like One Piece ^_~.

Seriously though, this thread has gotten so ridiculous, I haven't taken anything in it seriously for several pages. The show is licensed but it will continue to be subbed and I will continue to download it; the industry will continue to grow without my money; I will continue supporting the industry as much as I can.

I'd like to thank AvatarADV for his money-saving suggestions (I'm currently trying to find the best deal I can on a Kare Kano DVD box set).
DVDPacific has the Kare Kano box set for $80.52, it'd probably be pretty hard to find it for cheaper than that. They usually have the best prices on anime DVD's from my experience.
Old 2004-05-12, 22:50   Link #347
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarADV
Will this get you the NEW NEW NEW anime, right now, with zero expense? Nah. You can't do that without breaking the law, the same way I don't get to drive half a dozen sports cars that I "creatively acquired". Just how it goes...

So you work for ADV but you are posting to a site that lists fansubs? Arn't you like contributing to piracy but not turning us all in?
Old 2004-05-12, 23:00   Link #348
otakreg
oXc

Send a message via AIM to otakreg
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
So you work for ADV but you are posting to a site that lists fansubs? Arn't you like contributing to piracy but not turning us all in?
It's not really piracy if the fansubs aren't of licensed shows. And animesuki only lists fansubs for shows that aren't licensed in North America.
Old 2004-05-12, 23:04   Link #349
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
It's not really piracy if the fansubs aren't of licensed shows. And animesuki only lists fansubs for shows that aren't licensed in North America.

well yes it is. They may not be licensed in america but they do have copyright holders. When you alter their work you are breaking the law. When you distribute this it becomes piracy.
Old 2004-05-12, 23:10   Link #350
Millenia
Emotional Shoujo Girl

Send a message via MSN to Millenia
Quote:
Funimation will handle distributing the Fullmetal Alchemist cartoon in North America -- a cartoon that has already sold 51 episodes to Cartoon Network for an October air date.
Over here in England we have a CartoonNetwork, Im wondering if they will play it over here on our CartoonNetwork or as always USA gets everything and England just pure sux!
I hate England GET ME OUT OF HERE! and gimme a job too
Old 2004-05-12, 23:18   Link #351
sup12a
noob member

damn i'm hella sad to hear this news. i'm glad the makers of full metal are getting more money now but it just ruins the anime experience for me watching it in english. dang. sad.
Old 2004-05-12, 23:21   Link #352
Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup12a
damn i'm hella sad to hear this news. i'm glad the makers of full metal are getting more money now but it just ruins the anime experience for me watching it in english. dang. sad.
Have you read any of the replies to this thread by chance? The DVD's will be dual audio, with English and Japanese audio. It will also have English subtitles, so you won't need to watch it in English if you don't want to.
Old 2004-05-12, 23:57   Link #353
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Can't you people keep things civil? This thread is frequently off-topic AND vicious.

I'm closing it down. Honestly I should have closed it down 10 pages ago.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-05-14, 01:10   Link #354
Monkey

Angry Full Metal Alchemist licensed?!!!!

Okay i'm new at this. Very new. But i just HAVE to say something. I can't believe Full Metal Alchemist is licensed?!!!! My gawd!!! I mean.. MY GAWD!!!!!! I'm freaking out here. That show is so incredibly awesome, and now it's licensed to the USA?!! They usually mess up animes when dubbing em, and always changing stuff. Look at what happened to Shaman King... and not to mention Evangelion. Man thoses voices were so freaken retarded and Shaman King was almost completely change. We don't need to "Americanize" any anime!! If stupid Americans don't get it, then don't watch it!!! My gawd... What horror. I just can't believe it. I need to rant on someone or something. My gawd....

And now i have to wait forever to watch what happens after episode 31?!!! This is NOT cool... NOT cool at all.... Okay... I have to calm down.

DEEP BREATH.

Edit by Moderator: There, you said it. Now that you had your say, I've merged it into the original thread (that I CLOSED). I'd like to add that Funimation always releases an uncut and unedit subbed version for fans that you can buy. Just avoid Cartoon Network if you don't want to see the hacked-up localized dubbed version. I avoid it like the plague for just that reason. Now take another breath and repeat after me, "I will watch the subbed version on DVD and everything will be alright."

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-05-14 at 01:24.
Old 2004-05-16, 12:22   Link #355
Dark Blade Outlaw

Fullmetal Alchemist Licensed

Hm....The previous thread was closed.

Alright, its liscensed. SO WHAT. Its not like I cant wait for it to get onto DVD.
HM............THATS RIGHT I CANT WAIT FOR IT TO GET ONTO DVD. THAT SERIES TOO FREAKIN KEWL TO WAIT SO IMA JUST DOWNLOAD THE RAWS HAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. THINK YOU CAN TAKE FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST AWAY FROM ME. THEN YOUR WRONG. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAH
Hm.........Is it me or am I obsessed and going crazy about the FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST
Old 2004-05-16, 12:27   Link #356
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Um, do you have a point?
Old 2004-05-16, 12:33   Link #357
Dark Blade Outlaw

Nope, I just finished reading the closed thread and saw people complaining about Fullmetal being licensed and I wanted to submit a post but couldnt. So I just started this to submit a post.

I just wanted to tell them just download the RAWS and read the translated manga afterward. Instead of crying about it going to be on Cartoon Network
Old 2004-05-16, 12:38   Link #358
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

isn't that why the previous thread was closed? because of useless ranting like you posted above?
Old 2004-05-16, 12:50   Link #359
Dark Blade Outlaw

I dunno.

What are suppose to talk about then?

"Well today I walked my dog and I just remembered that Im not gonna be downloading Fullmetal Alchemist since its LICENSED."

I guess the forum is ruled by dictators if some threads are closed because some people dont like them. I am following the rules. Im talking about it being licensed. Isnt that what your suppose to do in the DVD & Licensed part of the forum?
Old 2004-05-16, 13:44   Link #360
7thMethuselah

there was allready a long thread about this, what can you possibly say that hasn't been said up to this point. Also the thread was closed for a reason. If all you wanted to add is the content of your first post then I see no reason to start a new thread. Also could you please abstain from posting in caps it is very annoying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark blade outlaw
I guess the forum is ruled by dictators if some threads are closed because some people dont like them. I am following the rules. Im talking about it being licensed. Isnt that what your suppose to do in the DVD & Licensed part of the forum?
can we stop the mod bashing as well please, this seems to become pretty popular lately, if you have a problem with them just pm them .

Also if you wanted to make a new thread about FMA just ask them to reopen it or to allow you to make a new one in which something is actually discussed , this contrary to your actual post ...

Sorry about the rant but there is also an entire forum dedicated to FMA ...
Closed Thread