AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2010-09-16, 21:01   Link #501
white wing
degausser
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
The fillers are what makes up k-on. These fillers are the best.
hmm yeah i guess those are what makes up a slice of life anime, but just don't get tad boring if kakifly somehow ran out of jokes or the like

but for me some episodes in s2 are just boring, i don't remember which ones though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_of_Chaos View Post
I agree. K-ON! is not truly suitable to get any filler episodes. Such an attempt would most likely perish its original feel. Strangely enough, many of the new K-ON! fans in my country looks desperate begging for K-ON!!! (S3). I guess because these guys are all B.O.N-tards (B.O.N stands for "Bleach, OnePiece, Naruto"). These 3 had so many episodes (over 100 eps), and they're (probably) the most popular series in my country as manga series and TV anime series.

It might be a little out of topic, but nothing can surpass K-ON!'s popularity! Am I right?
well, sometime in the future, something will.
at least that is what i think
white wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 22:19   Link #502
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Wow just awesome why is this show is so awesome and that last song was great only 2 more eps left

Come on season 3
Old 2010-09-16, 23:03   Link #503
VEE

Send a message via MSN to VEE
KyoAni will definitely take a break to handle other anime first.
But definitely there's a possibility for season3.
VEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 23:21   Link #504
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Kakifly has to write new material first, you know...
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 01:56   Link #505
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
I always get a bit nervous when people clamor for a third season of this show. I mean, how many episodes of cute hijinks can one make before it starts to get repetitive? I mean, yes, there's the Azusa continues the legacy of the Sakura High Light Music Club, and that looks like it's going to be good for one bonus episode . . . but what happens after that? Does the show writing staff do the edgy thing and let the girls of HTT fade into history? Or do the original four make so many "guest appearances" that they completely steal the spotlight? Or perhaps they follow the original four into college. Will they do a believable rendition of the girls in college? Or will they bow to the terrible will of the otaku and make it just like the girls in high school; only they're in college? And what happens to Azusa and whatever band she cobbles together?

I'd like to think that a third season could be really well done, but I'm also very much afraid that such an endeavour stands an excellent chance of being done just to milk the cash cow.

So, as sad as I'll be to see K-ON!! go; I'm of the opinion that, perhaps, it's better to go out on top.
This.

As much as I love this show, we've seen pretty much all there is to see. An OVA or two after the series end, showing how far the band has progressed and the characters evolved would be nice (not counting the one we'll get in March), but a full third season? I think that would be asking for too much of a good thing and would eventually disappoint fans who expect a whole lot out of it.

Of course, that doesn't stop fans from already e-mailing Kakifly, bugging him about making more K-ON!, so right now, it's anyone's guess what's going to happen.
Old 2010-09-17, 08:57   Link #506
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

I'll re-iterate and expand on what I've said previously in recent episode discussion threads.

The ball is squarely in Kakifly's court here. Whatever he/she (I honestly don't know, does anyone?) decides is their business. From an artist's standpoint, most mangaka don't want to draw the same characters all the time now and forever. Azuma Kiyohiko ended Azumanga Daioh, Watsuki Nobuhiro ended Rurouni Kenshin and Arakawa Hiromu ended Fullmetal Alchemist, all of which were ridiculously popular series in both manga and anime forms. Countless other popular series have also ended with their artists going on to different projects that they wanted to undertake because they have other characters and stories they want to present. Kakifly is likely no different. If this is really the end of K-ON then let's appreciate it as a complete work and leave further exploration of the story to the doujin circles and fanfic writers.

On the other hand, these days there is something to be said for sticking with what works in order to pay the bills. Just ask Takahashi Rumiko or Akamatsu Ken, after all. I wouldn't fault Kakifly in the slightest for perpetuating the series given its rampant popularity and guaranteed market. It might make Kakifly out to be a bit of a one-trick pony, but as have been suggested there are other avenues that could be taken to keep things fresh (ie. focusing on a new set of girls and thus a totally different keionbu, or shifting the focal point to Azusa, Jun and Ui as opposed to the core girls of HTT).

Whatever comes next, though, all we can do as fans is wait until Kakifly tells us themselves what's next. That we're seeing such vigorous demands for continuation and even, stupidly enough, threats of suicide from fans over the ending simply reinforces one of the worst stigmas that is still heavily associated with anime & manga fandom: A maturity level that is normally associated with spoiled children. We've got a pretty well-packed Fall season ahead with a lot of interesting series coming out. Stop obsessing with what's over and move on already.

On a personal note, I'd love to see the story of the girls continue into college and perhaps into the realm of professional music, but that's nothing more than my own wishful thinking. I do hope Kakifly lets everyone know what's next, but I've got other series ahead I'm looking forward to and I have no desire to dwell on what may or may not be in this realm.

tl;dr version - It's Kakifly's series, it's up to them to continue it or not. Wish for more all you want, but if wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 11:14   Link #507
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Cookies for what DJLowrider posted.... but I'll say that I've got a bit of a desire to see SOME series take their characters into college. This would be a good candidate since they've got non-academic (band) ideas. At the least I'd like to see a continuance of the music and perhaps the music video OVA.

For japanese animation, its like there's this Great Abyss past the high school diploma. With the rare exception of Honey&Clover, a bit of Lovely Complex, or jumping way over to anime with purely adult characters (e.g. REC, Maison Ikkoku) - we hardly ever see character evolution into or through college years. This is almost like the incredibly lame idiot meme that there's no story to tell after the confession. Only Itazura na Kiss comes to mind and its relatively 'old school'.
Old 2010-09-17, 11:46   Link #508
keroro gunsou

Quote:
Originally Posted by white wing View Post
but for me some episodes in s2 are just boring, i don't remember which ones though
S1 has 13episodes for the 2 years of highschool, but S2 has 26episodes for the last year of highschool. So,some episodes of S2 was not good. But,S2 of K-on was as good as S1.

I have no opinion about whether S3(K-on!!!) should come out or not.
I want to watch more K-on, but I dont want to watch K-on which is not as good as S1 and S2. There are two feeling,one is longing fof more K-on,another is refusing boring S3.
keroro gunsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 11:53   Link #509
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
. . . but I'll say that I've got a bit of a desire to see SOME series take their characters into college. This would be a good candidate since they've got non-academic (band) ideas. At the least I'd like to see a continuance of the music and perhaps the music video OVA.
Oh, I completely agree. It'd be refreshing to actually follow the girls past that black hole that is high school graduation in anime. I'd especially love to see a focus on them trying to be professional or even semi-professional musicians. They all clearly have a passion for music, that much was evident by the end of the Summer Fest episode.

My only reservation there, however, is pursuing such a story would very likely be a heavy departure from the tone of the story that we've seen thus far. The music business is not for the faint of heart and it likely wouldn't be anything like the "Fuwa Fuwa Time" the series has been so far, if you would. Mind you, I think this would be a good thing. Give these bonds the girls have developed with each other a true test to see how strong they are and what they can pull each other through.

Of course, such a change in story and tone would also translate into a lot of butthurt fans who just want more airtime for the moe antics of Yui, Mio and Azusa, with a sprinkling of Mugi and Ritsu here and there. However, I would posit that such "fans" of the series are merely moe otaku upset that their flavor of the moment has soured on them. And I don't really have a problem upsetting that manner of "fan".
Old 2010-09-17, 12:34   Link #510
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
Oh, I completely agree. It'd be refreshing to actually follow the girls past that black hole that is high school graduation in anime. I'd especially love to see a focus on them trying to be professional or even semi-professional musicians. They all clearly have a passion for music, that much was evident by the end of the Summer Fest episode.

My only reservation there, however, is pursuing such a story would very likely be a heavy departure from the tone of the story that we've seen thus far. The music business is not for the faint of heart and it likely wouldn't be anything like the "Fuwa Fuwa Time" the series has been so far, if you would. Mind you, I think this would be a good thing. Give these bonds the girls have developed with each other a true test to see how strong they are and what they can pull each other through.

Of course, such a change in story and tone would also translate into a lot of butthurt fans who just want more airtime for the moe antics of Yui, Mio and Azusa, with a sprinkling of Mugi and Ritsu here and there. However, I would posit that such "fans" of the series are merely moe otaku upset that their flavor of the moment has soured on them. And I don't really have a problem upsetting that manner of "fan".
That's actually a rather spot on view of the series' typical "otaku" fan. Hell a lot of them have already raged on how the series has gone all drama, introspective and slightly philosophical as compared the moewhoring and Miowhoring of season 1.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 14:54   Link #511
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
That's actually a rather spot on view of the series' typical "otaku" fan. Hell a lot of them have already raged on how the series has gone all drama, introspective and slightly philosophical as compared the moewhoring and Miowhoring of season 1.
Certainly the second season had a lot more character development and drama than the first; something I quite appreciated. However, by "a lot more" I really mean to say "any at all compared to the first season". The real truth is that the second season still only has the dramatic and philosophical depth of a crepe pan. That there are fans raging and bemoaning that as being too much is really quite sad to consider.
Old 2010-09-17, 17:25   Link #512
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Send a message via MSN to WBoon
I don't believe what I'm reading. lol A lot more philosophical aspects in Season Two? S2 being more dramatic than S1? I must had Seinfield turned on while watching K-On Season Two then. lmao

Okay. With all pessimism put aside, perhaps on a certain level, Season Two, if condensed to the same amount of episodes as Season One (i.e.: pick 14 episodes out of Season Two), the worries of Azusa in regards to the seniors leaving her behind, though not incredibly well done (I mean, come on, how many episodes do they use to emphasize on this? Two? Maybe five used to throw around a hint or two?), it probably did add to the so-called 'dramatics' of the show.

But let's see. In a short amount of 14 episodes of Season One, we have the introduction of the characters' personalities (along with their weaknesses and strengths) in three eps, Mio dreaming about the Budokan, Sawako's dramatic boyfriend past, Mio almost overcoming her stage-fright, Yui-Ui sisterhood relationship, introduction of Azusa, what the Keion Club represents, Mio's big-sister relationship with Azusa (both of the latter ideas in one episode), Ritsu's annoying attitude being kept in check by Mio's maturity, and of course, the final Culture Festival performance with the wrap-up of Yui's growth and Mio's decisiveness, and the love the members have for Yui. Not counting the OVAs, all those ideas were superbly done in a short span of 12 episodes.

Season Two has 24 episodes, so it means more ideas and themes, right? We have Azusa fearing for the future of herself and the Keion Club, desires of keeping the members of the Keion Club as it is till the end of the year (combo-ideas done in one ep, not bad), introduction of ton-chan, what each of the roles represent in the Keion Club, Mio actually having fun for once, Azusa/Ui/Jun's bonding, everyone's fond childhood memories, Yui showing appreciation for the granny down the road- you know what, from there on, it's just mostly the HTT's appreciation of their lives with each other (or their clubroom having taken for granted), showing their teamwork (in Marathon), etc. I don't hear any Budokan. Scenes of their performances are more scarce now. I don't see any of those 'character development' you mentioned other than Yui and Azusa (Ui and Jun are just there to fill in the roles of the other HTT members), and even their CD is minimum. Drama? Decreases as the Season moves on to Episode Six.

All in all, it's not all bad. After rewatching some of those episodes in Season Two, I find it rather nice in a flippant manner, what with Azusa's bonding with Jun/Ui (despite the lack of CD amongst J&U), Ritsu/Mugi, and Episode 11/12 were kinda nice with the girls bonding and stuff. But you see, that's kinda my point, it's just bonding with no real development - like the Season One OVAs. In a full season of 24 episodes, their development only got as good a few cheap OVAs. How's that for dramatics and philosophical? I don't get it at all.
WBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 17:32   Link #513
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

I became a fan of K-ON for the characters more than the moe-moe :S Lol, just throwing that out there.
bloppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 17:41   Link #514
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Whatever ended will end. I think it is more important for us otakus to move on - one good anime gone doesn't mean another good one will take it's place.

Though it is usually within 2-year limits, like the Haruhi > Lucky Star > [insert something from 2008-2009 here, I was in the army and had no time for anime - maybe Clannad?] > K-ON.

There is bound to be something marketable every year or so. Who knows, Recettear might even get its own adaptation (Gundam Unicorn is taking forever, screw Sunrise and Bandai).

We may not be able to predict how the market turns or goes, but at least give it some goddamn hope.

P.S Though I must admit that Azunyan is the CUTEST character I have ever seen in anime history. Both in terms of look and personality - seconded by Shiina Mafuyu from Seizon. Gonna miss the series...won't mind if there is a college days continuation "Sono Hanabira" style (go go Mugivision™!).

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 20:01   Link #515
TakuanInc.
loves Marisa Kirisame.

Send a message via MSN to TakuanInc. Send a message via Yahoo to TakuanInc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBoon View Post
stuff
Seriously, all I see here is the subtle whining of the lack of Mio screentime. S1, while really enjoyable, is what most people would call "pandering drivel" and I would agree, for the most part. Two years of apparent development was crammed in three episodes that I couldn't even believe what I was seeing. Half was wasted potential for the sake of promoting the over the top moe. In the end though, they managed to pull through--not enough to make everyone feel attached to them though.

S2, with its length provided a variety of things that can be explored without the need to rush things out. It was a slow, but gradual process for the focal character at this point (Azusa) to realize the gravity of her situation once the core four graduates. And I think it was done quite well, every episode only strengthened the emphasis on their growing bond without actually leaving any character out of the picture. Yes, even Mugi (who was sadly a Miyuki in S1, MugiVision notwithstanding). They all had their roles to play. Yui was the airheaded but kindhearted senpai who was reliable when the moment asked for it, Mio was the cool and level-headed girl everyone looked up to--apparently has a weakness for a lot of stuff that establishes her child-like side that's rarely ever seen outside of her icy demeanor, Mugi was the fluffy and supportive enigma that charges people up with her tea and cakes, Ritsu was the mood setter and all around cheerful girl and Azusa was the earnest and worrywart kouhai with a bit of an identity crisis. You get to see all this raw and relate to them like you would with a friend, Budokan isn't even relevant anymore since they have been slacking since day one. They've only been using it to motivate themselves to actually get some music done--which they did, in their own interesting way. At the end of the day, it's their friendship with each other that matters the most to them. And that's the 'drama' (if you can call it that) with the story. With reality looming over them, they went on a year's worth of having fun and bonding to their fullest, altogether avoiding the big possibility of them all parting after high school. They knew this, but as teenagers, skipping around and ignoring the big elephant in the room is what they opted for. That's the reason why they cried in episode 20 as the fact dawned on them at full impact. Azusa, being a year younger, didn't immediately feel the impending doom of what was to become of the club and especially her. Again, they slowly but surely build up on this until the very moment she sees their diplomas. She was strong it that regard, but couldn't help but be vulnerable about it since the four girls became a big part of her already. Changing her.

I'd say such execution really works in an SoL series. Nothing groundbreaking, but brilliant enough to warrant tears from its viewers.

Anyway just saiyan. Otherwise tl;dr.

As an aside, Tenshi no Fureta yo made me sweat buckets.

Last edited by TakuanInc.; 2010-10-09 at 01:02.
TakuanInc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 20:29   Link #516
Hakeru
けいおん だいすき~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Wow just awesome why is this show is so awesome and that last song was great only 2 more eps left

Come on season 3
me ... wants k-on moaaar <_<;

i think there is no season 3 ._.
because this anime is slice of life
Hakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 20:53   Link #517
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Sorry for huge post...

I find that its really best not to compare season 2 with season one. Each season had features that they excelled at, but it should be pretty clear by now that season 2 served a different purpose than season 1. But in my opinion season 2 will be the work that people in the future appreciate a lot more than season one, not just in the technical aspect(the animation, and the overall aesthetic is just better, hands down), and also in the message that the content is trying to convey.

One could argue season 1 lives up to the name "K-On" better than season 2 does. Season 1 can be essentially divided into 2 halves: Episode 1 - 7 served as an introduction to the characters and their basic personalities. They try to rebuild the club but are constantly under the threat of being shut down, whether its because they don't have four members, Ritsu forgets to fill in the necessary paperwork, Yui not having the necessary grades to do club activities, or the club missing an adviser. The group had big dreams of wanting to make it to Budokan, but more grounded people like Mio worries that being a club of amateurs they are at a serious disadvantage, especially considering the level the previous Keionbu was at. The first half of season 1 climaxes with their first school festival performance, and tells us that the club is here to stay.

If 1-7 introduces us to a club that we the viewers are perfectly fine with, episode 8 - 12 of season 1 is about exploring the dynamics of the K-On club from a more objective view, with the introduction of Azusa, a girl serious about music. The K-On girls do their club activities pretty much as they did it in their first year, while Azusa is introduced(and we the viewers are reintroduced, which led to the popular opinion that the second half of season 1 is the same as the first half with Azusa pasted on) to the antics and odd personalities of these girls. Azusa laments the progress made and how awful the band is, but in the end begins to put up with the girls and start to accept the idea that unity comes first, with her admitting that when they are all playing together, the band sounds...kind of alright. At the end she even believes they shouldn't perform at all if Yui couldn't make it to the performance. The season ends with them reflecting on the troubles it took to revive the club, and the fun they had together, with Yui declaring the school festival as "their budokan", that no matter how crap a band they are(remember K-On is suppose to be a deconstruction of 'cool', but that's a different can of worms altogether), being together is essentially their dream come true.

One of the big differences between season 2 and 1 is in the way the story is told, in that season 1 can be separated into two halves, and season 2 is one cohesive narrative. For people marathoning season 1 and 2 together, if you've enjoyed the pacing of season 1, season 2 can be a turn off as everything as really slowed down.

We can tell visually season 1 is a comedy, and season 2 is more akin to a slice of life with the occasional comedy. In season 1 the gags are accentuated with character designs often turns super-deformed, having surreal expressions, coloring and art-shift. Whenever a gag comes up, abstract backgrounds with bubbles and sparkles are used to tell us its a gag. With season 2 Yamada starts to pay attention to character expressions, nuanced movements, and low-key comedy. The characters are expressive without being as ridiculous as season one was. We start to see scenery p0rn being utilized to convey the atmosphere. The abstract backgrounds are mostly non-existent, as are the color, art shift, and super-deformity.

We start to notice the smaller details in their world. We start to notice there are certain movements that only Yui does, such as the vulcan salute. The girls have their own running jokes(lycopene, anime figurine, sharekobe), their own way of communicating via the paper-notes, and via mobile phones. And where in season 1 Mugi is considered to be on a higher pedestal than the other girls, in season 2 we start to see that Mugi has her own, albeit eccentric insecurities, and that she is also ;one of the girls. You can say that you may never meet these kind of girls in real lives because they're too pure and too nice to each other, but if there is really someone in the real world who is really nice, the K-On girls would be how I'd imagine he/she to be like. The K-On girls are believable as characters.

If season one can considered to have 'two stories', than season two can be considered to have 'two core worlds inside a vast universe'. One world being the K-On girls, the other world being Azusa, Ui and Jun. These two worlds are connected by Azusa, and serves to emphasize the main running theme of the story that Azusa is to be separated from the K-On girls, and her newly deepened relationship with Ui and Jun is her preparing herself so she would have a shoulder to cry on later.

Where season 1 has the girls spending most of their time in the club-room, season 2 shows there is a whole world outside it. The girls spend more time in the classroom, they participate in school activities such as the marathon, photoshoots, and the exams now rather than just club activities. Whenever they go, they are not in their own little world at the beach, nor are they the center of the focus anymore. They help out Nodoka's fan-club, they attend another person's wedding, they listen to concerts from other bands. Jun attends a Jazz club has a senpai there she admires, but we don't know who they are. And nowhere is the idea that the K-On girls are not the only people in this universe more prevalent than in the other 34 originally designed students that are in their class. We learn some of them want to become a photographer, take over the family business, etc. We also learn that Ritsu likes to hang out with the other girls, and that Yui has become quite attached to Himeko. It is implied that Yui may sometimes walk home with girls other than the girls from the K-On club or Nodoka, and Mio may sometimes have lunch, or go shopping with girls that aren't from the K-On club or Nodoka.

Season 2 is an iyashi-kei piece(comparable to Aria), has an undercurrent of transience or mono no aware. With season 2, Kyoani took special care to create not just four girls and their club, but five girls and their way of life. Season two may not be more philosophical or dramatic, but I can say I definitely care more about the girls in season two than I do when they're in season 1. Season 1 is more plot driven, and season 2 is more character driven. Season 1 produced pop music for the sake of performance, while season 2's music all served a purpose and complimented the story(Pure pure heart for Sogabe, Love for Sawako, U&I for Ui, Tenshi ni furetayo for Azusa).

With all the Haruhi fiasco during the airing of season 1, one can also argue that season two marks the time with Naoko Yamada finally starts to take the franchise seriously. The result is, in my opinion, a much more coherent narrative with a clear message, and a better, more appreciated anime overall.

But in the end, if you want great music anime, look no further than Angel Beats!

Last edited by winhlp32; 2010-09-17 at 22:27.
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 20:57   Link #518
white wing
degausser
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakeru View Post
me ... wants k-on moaaar <_<;

i think there is no season 3 ._.
because this anime is slice of life
well yeah, why should a slice of life anime have like 3 or 4 seasons
white wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 21:02   Link #519
Hunter_of_Chaos
Revenant of Moenizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by white wing View Post
well yeah, why should a slice of life anime have like 3 or 4 seasons
K-ON! is not the same as that "Big 3 from Shonen Jump" (had hundreds of episodes, some of them are fillers). If the fans wanted S3, just let KyoAni and Kakifly to decide.

Dude, such a fanaticism...

EVA-01 is one crazy unit, right?
Hunter_of_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 21:06   Link #520
PentaSalia

Send a message via AIM to PentaSalia
Well, there's always fanfics:P

They never end lol.
PentaSalia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen