AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-02-27, 05:13   Link #281
eggplant
Eggplant

Just bought the first volume of the Hantsuki manga today, subtitled The skies of the rising half-moon.

Since I do not read the Dengeki Gaoh magazine, I was wondering how the manga adaptation would go, and upon skimming through the tankoubon, Volume One is identical to its novel counterpart, which doesn't come as a surprise.

This means that it is basically in synch with Episode One of the anime as well. The artwork is done by the same illustrator of the novel, B-Tarou, so readers of the novel will surely enjoying seeing more Rika, Yuuichi, and the gang fully illustrated.

I assume that the manga will follow the storyline of the novel, which concluded at six volumes, but since Gaoh is published on a monthly basis, it would be another 6 months until the next volume comes out, and I doubt that the series would continue as it is for the next 3 years, often the fate of a manga based on a novel/game/anime due to subsiding interest.

Therefore, the manga may cover the important plots and divert to a different direction in the future.

Compared to the novel, the manga is of course much easier to read, and sutiable for translation/scanlation, but the overall timeframe until completion of the story may be overwhelming, whereas in the novels it has already been concluded.

I'll save my judgement until i have read it, but I do think that those who have enjoyed the anime will like the manga as well.

Also, there will be a Hantsuki compilation of short essays coming up in summer, which sounds interesting.

Finally, if you liked Hantsuki, be sure to watch Shinigami no Ballad, which airs on the same timeslot starting this Thursday.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 06:52   Link #282
frostfury

I thought that it was a good series overall, and there were some really outstanding moments. But I was wondering what Yuuichi said to her on the mountain. The fansubs I had read:

Yuuichi: "I will definitely... you..."
*Wind blows*
Rika: "This is the second time you've used that word. You said it when we were here before."

Does anyone know what he actually said or have a good idea what he said? I first thought that he said that he liked her, however that doesn't really make sense here. Maybe it was marry? (But sounds strange coming from him in the first episode)

Or is it something to do with the Japanese sentence structure which makes it look strange in English? (and the missing words really are "I like you")
frostfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 06:53   Link #283
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfury

*Wind blows*
Rika: "This is the second time you've used that word. You said it when we were here before."
Nauuuuughty
Old 2006-02-27, 07:20   Link #284
tragicsmile
おじさんはパスタ好き?

Send a message via AIM to tragicsmile Send a message via Yahoo to tragicsmile
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Good death? Her heart is going to give out. This show isn't about a good death, it is about having a good life.
Is this another one about the living who can't help but die and the dying who can't do anything but live?
tragicsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-27, 16:59   Link #285
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

i don't know, i found this to be an amazing anime despite it only being 6 eps, but i think they could have done a few more eps to see rika get out of the hospital and have them truly show love to each other. as for the ending i cant think of any that would be sadder than this. yuuichi decides to suffer for most of the rest of his life just to be able to get at the most 5 more years with the one he loves, knowing no matter how hard he tries or how painful it feels she will be gone in such a short time and there is nothing he can do. near ep 3 i really hated the doctor, natume(sp) but after seeing the parallelism between yuuichi and himself and knowing the heartbreak and sacrifices that will be made, he tried to achieve a different path for him.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 10:13   Link #286
KJlost

This show reminded me too much of K-drama series that are popular in Japan, especially the (in)famous Autumn's Tale.
KJlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 11:10   Link #287
lavielove

The thing is that Yuiichi wants Rika to be happy in no matter ways. Rika was happy when he beside her, so he tried to be closed to her as possible as he can. Rika was happy when he loved her.

The best thing in our life is that we can make happiness out of making our love onces happy. Everybody will die anyway but before that time, they deserve a tiny bit of happiness at least.

Rika was lucky because she got what she deserved, Yuiichi was lucky too because he is the only one who could give Rika to get what she deserved.

There is no painful side in this story anyway.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 13:13   Link #288
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavielove
The best thing in our life is that we can make happiness out of making our love onces happy.
Yes, I think so too.

I believe that everyone of us that is or has been seriously in love with someone could confirm: when in love, the thing that makes us the happiest is when we get our beloved person to be the happiest, no matter what. Nothing has as much as value as the smile of your love.

The anime worked very well from this point of view imho, smudging here and there between characters personalities in order to give that very precise idea (to put yourself in second place, first being your love). And since most of the comments I'm reading here (and not only here), probably that work has been done successfully.
Old 2006-02-28, 13:22   Link #289
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I loved this series. The romance, the ending -- and especially Takahashi Mikako as Rika -- all wonderful. She broke my heart and refreshed my spirit. Her final scenes in the hospital bed and on the mountain were just sugoi. What a voice, and what expression.

I understand people being leery of "melodrama" and "K-drama", but that is just their preference. For me, the human emotions and the story in this are far superior to Fate/Stay Night, to give an example someone else cited as being better. By comparison, that is a dry, cold thing, for me. The so-called melodrama in a dorama is not a bad thing; it's just that doramas tend to draw their stories out too long and overdo the expression of emotion. Not the problem here, where the story was told so quickly and the emotions were made stronger by being restrained.

The only thing I have some hesitation about is the swinging from a rope business. which was pretty hokey, in my opinion. It was worth it for the emotional results, however. And I still hate the doctor, who let his own suffering blind him to life, and to other people's independent lives.

If you were able to give yourself to this story, it rewarded you with deep and cathartic feelings. That emotional "cleansing" was what the ancient Greeks considered the highest aim of drama, and Hantsuki gave it to me. (catharsis: "...A purifying or figurative cleansing of the emotions, especially pity and fear, described by Aristotle as an effect of tragic drama on its audience....") Hantsuki operated at a deeper emotional, and even philosophical, level than most anime.

We were all debating whether she would live or die, and it turned out to be...both. Just like the rest of us.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 16:36   Link #290
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
It was alright i was awaiting a tragedy of some kind I guess because I'm used to Key's works. I wish there was more romance between them I mean I barely felt that vibe.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 16:48   Link #291
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Everyone is dying..... from the moment of birth.... its just a matter of when.
This is one area where Buddhist philosophy is focused on ...

Even if the happy couple were perfectly healthy, a car accident or illness could take them in a few years.... so being more aware of the mortality of a relationship helps to cut away the "wasted moments". *every* relationship is subject to that and realizing it should help one to focus more on the "now" instead of the "whatif". Every single time you see someone, it might be the last time --- so make it good.

All-in-all I applaud the series if it whacked a few reality checks into some folks.
Old 2006-02-28, 18:43   Link #292
studiocode

It seems that volumes 5 and 6 go beyond the final episode. Can anybody confirm this? I doubt that they would ever make any sort of sequel to the anime so I would definately want to see any little bit extra that seems to be out there.

I'm so glad I saw the name for the KuroNeko torrent and said, "Hey, what's this. Sounds interesting," watches the 6 episodes straight through, "Wow." Thanks Kuroneko for the great job.

Seriously, this show is a gem. And it doesn't try to hamhandedly feed us melodrama. It's sad without being cliche. Probably one of the best animes of the last 2 years.
studiocode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 18:55   Link #293
DaFool
Resident devil

Thanks Kuroneko for subbing this! I wouldn't say it's one of the best animes though, it's pretty solid. (My criteria for best anime would be leaving me totally mind-warped and unable to function normally between two hours to half a day after completing the final episode...which it didn't). Easily ranks with Iriya no Sora UFO no Natsu as a recommended made-for-TV OVA.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 06:45   Link #294
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

i cant bring myself to watch the last episode :O

but at least i know it ends happily... not like when they blew up mahoro... i still have nightmares.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 07:27   Link #295
ForeverGoNe
Inflammation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
i cant bring myself to watch the last episode :O

but at least i know it ends happily... not like when they blew up mahoro... i still have nightmares.
I think that you should, then you will be able to see the sheer brilliance of this title at its finest.

The ending was superb and reading what NSW said, I couldn't have put it any better.
ForeverGoNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-02, 16:39   Link #296
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 04:49   Link #297
cipotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfury
I thought that it was a good series overall, and there were some really outstanding moments. But I was wondering what Yuuichi said to her on the mountain. The fansubs I had read:

*Wind blows*

Does anyone know what he actually said or have a good idea what he said? I first thought that he said that he liked her, however that doesn't really make sense here. Maybe it was marry? (But sounds strange coming from him in the first episode)

Or is it something to do with the Japanese sentence structure which makes it look strange in English? (and the missing words really are "I like you")
I just blasted my speaker just to hear for that words..from what i heard Yuuichi said something like "....kara".. my first guess is he said "mamorukara" which means "protect"

any other thoughts on this?
cipotlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 06:55   Link #298
TrueKnight

Alright, laugh all you want, but the ending made me cry,

Spoiler:

Nevertheless, great series, Yuiichi is definitely one of the best, if not the best protagonist in any anime drama I've watched in the last 3 years or so.....And thank God this is not exactly a harem show.

Finally an anime which showed how a guy who desperately chased a girl and was willing to do anything just like in real life. Not like previous ridiculous un-realistic (but fun ) harem shows( 2 or more girls like one guy ).

One question still bugs me,

Spoiler:

Oh btw, I think this show is better than Iriya no Sora.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 13:22   Link #299
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight
Finally an anime which showed how a guy who desperately chased a girl and was willing to do anything just like in real life. Not like previous ridiculous un-realistic (but fun ) harem shows( 2 or more girls like one guy ).

One question still bugs me,

Spoiler:

Oh btw, I think this show is better than Iriya no Sora.
They didn't show a more drastic form of the 'willing' part, aside from Yuuichi attempting a dangerous climb to her room just to see her. Other than that, it's all those small actions that count.

Who knows? I don't think we would ever know...Unless the novel states that there will be something more...

And I have to disagree with you, since these are the only two animes (Iriya no Sora and Hanbun) which actually made me shed tears so far....
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 17:18   Link #300
marclemagne
~ ~

It's been a while since I watched the last episode of this show, but I guess it's the kind of show that's hard to forget about. So I'm also re-watching it now while I'm making this post.

The first thing that struck me about this show was the music. Both the opening and ending songs are wonderful and beautiful and do a great job setting the tone for the show.

I also really liked the character designs and animation. Rika couldn't possibly be cuter, and her voice actor did a tremendous job making her come to life. The voice actors in general were very good, very believable, and suited their characters well.

This was a very thoughtful show, "short and sweet." It was also very touching. Despite there only being six episodes, I walked away with a genuine affection for all of the characters, especially the nurse, Akiko, who cared far more than she let on. It was also a good feeling realizing that the doctor did as well.

During my first viewing I think I was a little disappointed with the ending because I thought Rika's mother's actions were unreasonable and seemed to come from out of the blue. She must have been aware of Rika's feelings and how happy she was since meeting Yuichi? The photo taped to her leg should have been proof enough of how important Yuichi is to her and how important he will be towards her recovery. I think that suddenly, right after Rika's operation, her preventing Yuichi from visiting Rika was a little too much to swallow--to me, it came across as somewhat of a forced plot device. I also thought Yuichi's water tower stunt was a little over-the-top. It was important to show Yuichi's conviction but was that the best way to do so? Upon watching the episode a second time, though, I realized that these are small complaints for a show that was, in general, very well written and realized.

Overall I thought this show was cute and sad and I'm really glad I was able to experience it.

I'm currently reading Night on the Milky Way Train, hoping to get a better understanding of the show and what some of the motivations were for the characters and the writers.

I wanted to share this, too. I was listening to this song earlier and I think it really fits both Yuichi and this show very well:

Quote:
"What Sarah Said"
Death Cab For Cutie

And it came to me then that every plan
Is a tiny prayer to father time
As I stared at my shoes in the ICU
That reeked of piss and 409
And I rationed my breaths as I said to myself
that I’d already taken too much today
As each descending peak of the LCD
Took you a little farther away from me
Away from me