AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-03, 10:06   Link #661
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
:
Some comedy scenes would help you see Yamato act his age, but since the anime is omitting most of them and replacing them with Daichi being a joke in battle, I guess I'm going to have to echo the studio and Atlus' message to play the game
Well I am not going to play the game for various reasons so I will take your word on it.
Old 2013-05-03, 10:19   Link #662
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But IT is a plot point or they wouldn't have brought his age up in the first place. The fact that he is so young is part of his character.
I meant plot point as in "he can only do this because he's 17" or something. The most we got was whatshername being surprised that he was so young.

Quote:
And sure other anime characters might look and act older but this is extreme for me, especially when compared to the other characters within the same show he is in.
It's not that bad, though? I mean, he looks like this (from ep 2):

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

He doesn't look particularly old for his age, he just has the overall impression of being older than he actually is due to his his uptightness, the outfit, his voice (which was the voice director's decision, as Suwabe is perfectly capable of sounding younger), and the bags(?) under his eyes. He's kind of like Vicious from Cowboy Bebop who is the same age as Spike, despite looking older due to his overall haggardness and dourness.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 10:31   Link #663
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Episode 5 was probably the most interesting yet. Very nice build-up. I'm enjoying Yamato and Ronaldo's characters, who are seemingly complete opposites.
Old 2013-05-03, 10:32   Link #664
com_gwp

Well, we're going completely off the rails now, but I like it. They're bringing in the whole 'JP's VS Ronaldo faction' in much punchier fashion.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 11:03   Link #665
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
He's kind of like Vicious from Cowboy Bebop who is the same age as Spike, despite looking older due to his overall haggardness and dourness.
Vicious and Spike are in their late 20's which I can totally buy.

This guy being 17 not really! Just a difference of opinion but I think it is silly to make him 17 when he neither acts or looks it to me.
Old 2013-05-03, 11:06   Link #666
Haiprbim
Banned

I'll put this On-Hold for now, but will certainly watch it.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 11:19   Link #667
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:

This guy being 17 not really! Just a difference of opinion but I think it is silly to make him 17 when he neither acts or looks it to me.
He maybe should have been 22-24 but imo, it's kind of a really small detail to fuss over.
Old 2013-05-03, 11:50   Link #668
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
so Kiritsugu is the insurgent leader, he sure isn't gonna get a TRAGIC end >.>
Old 2013-05-03, 12:19   Link #669
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiyuu99 View Post
So far we know Keita has Berserker, Ronaldo Hagen, Io Kikuri-Hime, Joe Orcus, Otome Sarasvati, Yamato Cerberus and Hibiki both Suzaku and Byakko.
I wonder when Daichi mans up, what demon he gets.
I have no idea, but seeing the type of character he is, I'm assuming some kind of hero. And by that I mean a character who was some kind of hero during their myth, not necessarily a Hero family.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 13:19   Link #670
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libros View Post
He maybe should have been 22-24 but imo, it's kind of a really small detail to fuss over.
To me it is not a small detail because he doesn't look close to 17 at all. Also having your character as a teenager just to be a teenager (when nothing else fits) is pretty bothersome to me personally.

But I am only defending my point on a message board not saying the anime is ruined because of it.
Old 2013-05-03, 15:54   Link #671
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
I don't know the game but Byakko, Suzaku & Co. are pretty big names as far as mythological creatures go, so I don't think they're supposed to be common demons...
You've seen how in the previous episodes we've seen armies of Itsumades, Angels, and Jambavans being summoned? Imagine doing that with Byakko and Suzaku.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
so Kiritsugu is the insurgent leader, he sure isn't gonna get a TRAGIC end >.>
It's Megami Tensei. Unless you're in the Persona or Last Bible sub-franchise, if you're leading a faction with extreme views *cough*likedirtycommunistsandelitistmeritocrats*co ugh* you're gonna get murdered by the MC (if they go middle-of-the-ground, don't-really-solve-the-underlying problems neutral path). It's a tradition in this franchise! I fully expect Hibiki to turn Yamato and Ronaldo into a bloody splatter by the end of this.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 17:35   Link #672
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I have no idea, but seeing the type of character he is, I'm assuming some kind of hero. And by that I mean a character who was some kind of hero during their myth, not necessarily a Hero family.
Imagine if he got Neko Shogun. Oh, the hilarity that will ensue.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 17:51   Link #673
kuromitsu

Quote:

I meant the general effect of seeming older than one actually is. I do agree that he doesn't act like a typical 17 year-old, and he doesn't really come off as a teenager, but I don't think it's very extreme, and his behavior fits his character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
You've seen how in the previous episodes we've seen armies of Itsumades, Angels, and Jambavans being summoned? Imagine doing that with Byakko and Suzaku.
....an army of giant white tigers? *o*) Come on, Hibiki! Do it!
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 20:09   Link #674
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, things are going to probably go pretty bad next episode. Though the death video kind of made that clear from the first couple of minutes. Sadly while I agree a lot with Ronaldo you just know things are going to go badly. I'd certainly rather throw my lot in with the guy not going to sacrifice me at the drop of the hat, but those guys never seem to win .

Though will also say Nikaea has a very broad definition of friend. I'm not exactly sure that's how Hibiki and Yamato would currently define their relationship...
Old 2013-05-03, 21:59   Link #675
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
....an army of giant white tigers? *o*) Come on, Hibiki! Do it!
Dude has like, what was it, 655500 macca on hand? Hibiki could totally afford a few from the Devil Auction. Unless he totally sucks at bidding and that Suzaku was the only thing he managed to win.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 23:20   Link #676
Dr. Casey

I have mixed feelings when it comes to the believability of Yamato. Physically, I think he looks closer to someone 10 years above his actual age; there just doesn't seem to be anything adolescent about him. His personality and mentality, though, I can accept. There's some cases where almost nothing about a person's behavior, mannerisms, or mindset betrays their actual age. They're rare (usually even a mature kid or teenager has things about them that traces them back to their actual age), but a person like Yamato is believable as a truly exceptional, prodigial, one-in-a-million kind of individual - especially given his very screwed up background.

The flashback to when he's five years old, though... yeah... no. I seriously doubt that a preschooler could be that hardened, mature, and poised. Even the greatest of leaders and most hardened of hardened criminals are childlike when they're five. I'll keep a slightly open mind in case his backstory somehow makes his being a forty year old in the body of a toddler justified, but I find it hard to imagine such a thing happening. >_>

At any rate, I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. The brighter and more colorful scenery was a nice change from the dark grittiness of previous episodes (where I found the palette of browns and grays rather boring), and Airi's a pretty fun and charming character.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 03:08   Link #677
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

I find this describe the ending scene of this episode perfectly.

Quote:
That aside am I the only one amused by how fast Yamato went from "what friend you defective machine I don't make friends" to "oh hell no not my hibiki you don't" To think he of all people would go tsundere this early.
Old 2013-05-04, 03:18   Link #678
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
there just doesn't seem to be anything adolescent about him.
He doesn't have a beard.

I know neither does anyone else, just saying.
Old 2013-05-04, 03:21   Link #679
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

ep 6 preview

Old 2013-05-04, 05:21   Link #680
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Spoiler for reply to preview:

Tags
atlus, devil_survivor, index, persona