AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2007-04-07, 12:02   Link #201
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
Hi i loved the first ep and i am going to start collecting the manga is the manga all comedy or is it more of a comedy/fanservice type of manga?

Definitely comedy... Great comedy in fact!

As for fanservice... Well, depends on your Definition of 'fanservice'... If it's limited to attractive women in awkward situations, then I can safely say it's an all time low (Not 'no')
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 12:35   Link #202
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
Or maybe we're just utterly clueless about encoding.
That was pretty much my point.

I dont get why people bother with HD in the first place. Its not like its live-action, where you CAN see more detail, its anime, lines and fills, no actual textures or materials, so why bother, especially when half of us cant even play the stupid thing ?
Karnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 12:58   Link #203
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Was it just me, or was that a KyoAni Kanon parody when...

Spoiler:

Or was that in the manga, in which case, perhaps KyoAni was referencing Hayate?
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 13:26   Link #204
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
Was it just me, or was that a KyoAni Kanon parody when...

Spoiler:

Or was that in the manga, in which case, perhaps KyoAni was referencing Hayate?
In the end or before Maria shows up?
Old 2007-04-07, 13:58   Link #205
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

@ Karnot - geez, stop complaining about free stuff that people hand out out of their goodwill. I am very grateful for their effort regardless of what encoding methods they use, and something like complaining about what i get for free seems kinda wrong to me for some strange reason.
Old 2007-04-07, 14:16   Link #206
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Or maybe we're just utterly clueless about encoding.
That was pretty much my point.
Oh yay. Nothing like getting lectured by little opinionated encoding n00bs

Quote:
I dont get why people bother with HD in the first place. Its not like its live-action, where you CAN see more detail, its anime, lines and fills, no actual textures or materials, so why bother, especially when half of us cant even play the stupid thing ?
I'm sure that after this reply Karnot will manage to create some more Hate-votes on anidb again, but alas, education comes at a price. Listen up, kiddo. Here's some facts:

This is frame 38783 from the AVI release, resized to 1280x720 (the most likely fullscreen playback resolution, nobody watches in windowed mode)

This is frame 38783 from the HD release, for comparison

Now, open up both links in new browser windows and then switch between them and see whether or not you CAN see different details, lines and fills, textures or materials (to quote you above). I'd say that will be rather instructive for ANY objective viewer. Careful to make sure that the browser windows don't accidentally "resize to fit browser window", the resize algorithm of most browsers are horrible and create a terribly aliased picture.

Yes, the playback font looks noticeably different. That's a known vsfilter issue. With higher resolution, the font's antialiasing is MUCH better of course, and the shadow makes it look very different. But that's only one of many advantages of the HD release.

Watch especially the lines. In the HD version, they're well-defined and clear. In the AVI release, they're much more blurry and aliased. No wonder, they CAN'T be cleaner than that, because they're upsized. Also, don't forget that this also upsizes any encoding noise of the source.

And when you look at textures or materials, the difference becomes like night and day. For example the windows front in the right rear end of the frame. Or look at the police cars and the policemen. And and and.

If you still seriously contest that there's no visible difference, PLEASE shut up and NEVER talk about encoding issues again before your brilliance accidentally hurts yourself. That would be just too sad.

Finally: If you insist on your judgement that the differences don't matter enough to warrant a HD release, okay - fine. More power to you. That's what the AVI release is for. It's smaller, it plays on basically every computer, just take it.

But there are MANY people in this thread who HAVE a computer sufficient to play back the HD version and whose eyes manage to make out and enjoy the differences. With what right are you stating that it's "nonsense" to provide them with the best result I'm capable of creating, and that you demand that I don't do it? This is exceptionally rude and annoying not just to me, but to everyone else here.

Ever thought of that?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 16:04   Link #207
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot View Post
Sir, I'd like to inform you of the fact that there is an SD XviD version as well, released at the same time as the HD one. People with your special needs would do well to stop downloading releases they cannot understand the advantages of, since doing so may lead to saying stupid things on the internet and getting flamed for it, which may be bad for your heart and/or brain.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 18:12   Link #208
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I was a little hesitant to watch a shojo series; Sailor Moon and Fury Kury have given me nightmares. I had heard so much about Hayate no Gotoku I had to watch it and I did . The show is good I must say chracters are well sketched they may appear superficial but they do have depth . Comedy/humor is extremely well infused
Old 2007-04-07, 18:17   Link #209
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
I was a little hesitant to watch a shojo series; Sailor Moon and Fury Kury have given me nightmares. I had heard so much about Hayate no Gotoku I had to watch it and I did . The show is good I must say chracters are well sketched they may appear superficial but they do have depth . Comedy/humor is extremely well infused
I'm pretty sure that Hayate no Gotoku isn't shojo... If anything it's a harem. Where'd you get the impression that it was shojo?

*expects a 75% chance of the next poster proving that it is in fact shojo*
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 18:24   Link #210
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Chracters design I did feel its a shojo from that . As I have not read the manga I am clueless . But as you said maybe a harem as Maria and Nagi both seem intrested Hayate from ep 2 teasers shown in the debut ep

According to wiki its Comedy, Romance, Shōnen genre I agree with Romance Comedy but shonen ? .
Old 2007-04-07, 18:24   Link #211
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut89 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Hayate no Gotoku isn't shojo... If anything it's a harem. Where'd you get the impression that it was shojo?

*expects a 75% chance of the next poster proving that it is in fact shojo*
Nope, actually it's registered as shounen as far as I'm informed. Although as far as I've read the manga it's yet to prove itself as such. Definitely harem-esque though.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 18:39   Link #212
Clarste
Human

Keep in mind that he's a COMBAT butler, whatever that means.

Speaking of which, I've always been wondering this: what exactly does "gotoku" mean? Does it literally translate to "combat butler" (which begs the question of why they would have a word for that)? Is it some Japanese term for "servant/bodyguard" that doesn't translate well for cultural reasons? Is "Hayate the Combat Butler" really a translation at all? Or is it some pun that I don't get?
Old 2007-04-07, 18:44   Link #213
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Gotoku means the five virtues; tripod; kettle stand But its not rleated to this context . Damn the translator
Old 2007-04-07, 18:45   Link #214
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

I LOVE THIS SERIES!

*fanboygasm*

This was great! The voice acting, the animation and the comedy were awesome!

Hayate: "Mr. Santa Claus, why do you never bring presents to me?"
Santa: "That's because your family is poor."

I also loved the commentary on the mother and father. My parents are the same way sometimes except not to that degree.

The narration makes this show a keeper for me.

"Kidnapping is not cool~~~"
Wosho128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 18:47   Link #215
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Gotoku means the five virtues; tripod; kettle stand But its not rleated to this context . Damn the translator
It seems that you were using the same translator as I was gonna use.

Anyway I don't have any clue as to where "Hayate no Gotoku" becomes "Hayate the Combat Butler" other than the plot.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 19:04   Link #216
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_passerby View Post
It seems that you were using the same translator as I was gonna use.

Anyway I don't have any clue as to where "Hayate no Gotoku" becomes "Hayate the Combat Butler" other than the plot.
The two titles might be totally unrelated. It could be that Hayate no Gotoku is the main title for the series and Hayate the Combat butler the secondary. Or some catchy engrish phrase to make the series look more... globablized?. Or a terrible translation
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 19:15   Link #217
SinsI

Well, now it is written as ごとく, so it can mean a lot of things.
But at first, in the pilot version, it was written as 如く, as can be seen in http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6...yate003bg4.jpg
so it should be translated as "Similar to Hayate", "Like Hayate".
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 19:22   Link #218
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

The tripod kettle stand all stand for firm or support . Hayate just maybe the rock or support in Nagi's life Gotoku used as a metaphor . Whats Sins1 said maybe also true Gotoku also mean .

Quote:
gotoku
(n) the five virtues; tripod; kettle stand

gotoku
(adv) like; as if; the same as
IMHO Butler and Gotoku are two diffrent words they changed the title while translating
Old 2007-04-07, 19:24   Link #219
DownloadingData

gah. What kind of system do you people have? I've got a 2600+

and the HD version lags hardcore when i play it with MPC. >.<
DownloadingData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 19:29   Link #220
Clarste
Human

Quote:
IMHO Butler and Gotoku are two diffrent words they changed the title while translating
Well, it's not exactly a change during translation, since it shows up in the Japanese version next to the title. If anything it's a subtitle (you know, like Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter or Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back or something). Hmm, should we really be calling it by its subtitle then?

Edit: I guess subtitle was the wrong word to use. Secondary title? I gave an example; whatever that is.

Last edited by Clarste; 2007-04-07 at 23:33.

Tags
action, comedy, romance, shounen, synergy sp