AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-12-19, 16:39   Link #1
killer3000ad

Wrath of the Titans (2012)

I thought the first one was a flop?? Well apparently WB thinks it's still milkable.
Old 2011-12-19, 16:54   Link #2
justsomeguy

They're going to continue corrupting Greek mythology by making Hades a villain?

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 17:02   Link #3
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Well I mean, he is the angel who rebelled against God, it would make sense that he they'd portray him as the evi--

Oh I'm sorry, you said Hades. Yeah, that is weird. Almost as if Hollywood thinks they fill the same role
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 18:24   Link #4
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Gods help us...

Though reading the wiki entry, it's all a bit laughable. I mean, Persues descending into the underworld to rescue Zeus? WTF???

And how could Zeus ever say "You will learn someday that being half-human ... makes you stronger then a god!" The greek gods would have killed you for having the presumption, nay hubris, for making such a statement. Or they'd turn you into cockroach. Or strike you blind. Or who knows what manner of punishment! Humans can never be on the level of the Gods. The real Zeus would fry anyone who challenged him with a lightning bolt, and then afterwards bang some chick while in the form of Swan. Later he'll probably turn her into a cow.

The stuff in this movie would never happen in Greek Mythology. And there's some pretty weird stuff that happens in greek mythology.

So Perseus has been given a mission by his father, Zeus, to save the world from the forces of the underworld, led by the titans? I think the producers have a one track mind.

You know, I'm getting a bit tired of Hollywood's utter disregard for their source material when making Greek derived works. I don't mind adaptation, but they need to at least respect it, and respect the millions of people who grew up with these stories, by putting something out that is more true to spirit of Greek mythology, and not just a comic book cookie cutter story superimposed on a greek locale.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 20:35   Link #5
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Back when I was at college I studied classical Civilization and ancient Greek so its sort of my topic and these films do butcher stories. But that's Hollywood you can't change it, luckily people who know anything about Greek mythology will use their noggin and realize the story has been brutally destroyed and wont recommend it to others and may not choose to go see it.

The original Clash of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts, they were true pieces of film, which actually followed the story close enough.

Hollywood takes Greek Mythology like this, Dismantle it from having Deep meanings/very complex Hubristic and Animalistic themes/ deep culture references/very descriptive fights(if the story has any)/Gods which play with humans.Lastly women which are shown to be innocent,emotional and all that stuff.Obviously more would be involved but that will give you the gist of a average play/novel.

Then they assemble it to be this Action/ lots of hot women (shown to be fighters & disobey men(Some women would disobey there man, like Clytemnestra and Helen of troy but most woman wouldn't dare to))/More action and explosions(somehow)/Massive men with huge weapons(Some exceptions but overall it was very uncommon)/ Simplistic societies and the funniest is that Gods seem to have lost there actual meanings.

What I mean by this is that lets take Hera for example in many of the Greek plays and novels she is known to be very vengeful and very un-womanly and she hates Gods which interfere with human affairs, and usually has arguments with Zeus because of this. But to Hollywood she is shown to love her fellow Gods, and is apparently likes the idea of Gods helping Humans.

But lets be serious directors have been doing this for ages, not going to change so you might as well just enjoy it, and laugh at how incorrect the stories are.
I think the only time I was wrong about a film was Lotr and Oh My God how I was wrong , but Peter Jackson actually had passion for the stories and I very much doubt that Louis Leterrier actually cares about the stories.

Sorry for the poor grammar and spelling very tired I just got off work
Old 2011-12-19, 23:00   Link #6
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
these damn movies and games got me so confused... who should be the REAL villian then?
Old 2011-12-19, 23:01   Link #7
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sounds like a messed up version of a Wonder Woman plotline.
Old 2011-12-19, 23:26   Link #8
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
these damn movies and games got me so confused... who should be the REAL villian then?
The original Clash of the Titans already covered all of Perseus's role, so everything further would be made up. But if the filmmakers insisted on another film, they could have chosen anybody other than the arguably most innocuous god as an antagonist.

Real villains:
* any god other than Hades, whose only role in Greek myth was marrying Persephone and preventing people from carrying dead lovers out of the underworld. Heck, even Athena could be used as an antagonist, given the Arachne and Golden Apple incidents.
* a Titan gets loose, and Zeus sends Perseus to take care of it as a laugh.
* a jealous or greedy human king sends Perseus on a deadly quest.
* any monster from Greek myth.

But nope, Hollywood insists on slandering the arguably least corrupt Greek god as a villain.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 00:30   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Okay... I was coerced into seeing the Immortals, the only points I gave that was the "special bull statue" was an actual device from history (Brazen Bull). The rest was SFX and the Titans were crap. It seemed to have been written by people who dropped out of school, failed, or were stoned for most of their teens.

And yes.... another fail for misrepresenting Hades (of course, Disney and others have also taken swings at that).

I'd say they also fail because Norse mythology is far more cool but frankly, I'd rather they never make that leap (thinking its a Marvel property, snort ).
Old 2011-12-20, 00:57   Link #10
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I agree with Ak3mi, the original Clash of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts are some fine films based on Greek mythology.

The only thing I liked about the Clash of the Titans remake was the special effects. Other than that, not a good movie. I think this sequel will be better, but that isn't saying much. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Wrath of the Titans. It'll probably be entertaining. I'm just not expecting much with it.
Old 2011-12-20, 01:01   Link #11
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Hera,

you can almost start any greek story with Hera having either a pms day or discovering Zeus is with another woman...again.
Old 2011-12-20, 07:01   Link #12
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

The real villains usually start with Hera or sometimes with Apollo.
Old 2011-12-20, 07:08   Link #13
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Besides monsters and evil humans, i don't think that any of the greek gods are evil enough to be villains. All of the greek gods do have human flaws. In Hera's case it's most of the time just jealousy because of Zeus his infidelity (eventhough they are wife and husband, they are also siblings -_-)
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 08:22   Link #14
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
In Hera's case it's most of the time just jealousy because of Zeus his infidelity (eventhough they are wife and husband, they are also siblings -_-)
and Hera usually called Zeus, 'onii-chan' .

Seriously though, if you want villain greek god, then Hera is your first choice. there's also Poseidon who bangs more women/nymphs more than Zeus (that bastard also raped the beautiful Medusa). Then Ares who is a god of war. Unlike Athena, Ares doesn't care about heroic doings, chivalry, loyalty, etc. He only cares about creating bloody conflict since he is brutal and like bloodbath. That's why although both of them are gods of war, Athena never like Ares. After that, there's the Titan Chronos who killed his own children so that none can topple his position as king of the gods before the Olympians' era.

Hades is a good god. He only have one wife and managing his own domain well. he even help Perseus by giving him his helmet of invisibility. He doesn't rule the underworld coz he was tricked. It's the place he wanted to be. He's just like as your loner-but-kind Gothic friend .
Old 2011-12-20, 10:35   Link #15
Xagzan

And if not Ares, who I think would be better than Hades anyway, you could always have Typhoeus breaking free from Tartaros. Now there's antagonist material.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 10:56   Link #16
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Greek mythology typically lacks your conventional villain. It's not about "good vs. evil", that's a very Abrahammic point of view.

Greek mythology tends to be much more about "man vs. nature" or "man vs. man". In Man vs. nature, nature usually has the gods or a monster standing in for nature, a fairly frequent theme is the futility of opposing the gods and how insignificant we all are. In man vs. man, there doesn't tend to be any straight heroes or villains. If you look at the Iliad the greeks have about as many admirable and scummy characters as the trojans. You're expected to cheer for the greeks, but the trojans are "worthy opponents". You do have some characters that are scummy, but they're not villainous.

And whether the gods themselves are the true villains of greek mythology... is an interesting point. I don't think the greeks would have seen them that way. The greeks had a very diffirent attitude towards Good and Evil to us. To them Heroism just indicated you were "Great", but not necessarily Good. For instance Jason was a grade A Asshole. Still considered a Hero though.

Greeks had a conception of right and wrong, of course, but they didn't have an "elemental evil" or an "elemental good". The monsters were not evil, but animalistic. And the gods were forces of nature, that could never be possibly defeated.

Overall, Greek religion is a lot more interesting and thought provoking then Christianity. It's certainly a lot more fun.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 15:01   Link #17
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Overall, Greek religion is a lot more interesting and thought provoking then Christianity. It's certainly a lot more fun.
i always like the Greek Gods, they knew how to party. The Nordic Gods otoh are depressing. Everything is about Ragnarok and the end of the world.
Old 2011-12-20, 15:44   Link #18
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Judging by the trailer, this movie seems to have a lot of Michael Bay Explosions. What could possibly go wrong?

Endless "More Explosions!" Soul
Old 2011-12-20, 20:19   Link #19
Lost Cause

Another attempt by Hollywood to make a buck, and entertain the masses.
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 20:39   Link #20
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

In the plays/novels that I have read, most of the villains end up to be the wives,demi-gods or men themselves. If a God is shown to be the villain it will most likely be Hera or Apollo. This is taken from all genre's of plays/novels.

Titans being involved in this film is going to be jokesssssssss, they gonna be all like pew pew and stomp stomp, hold onto your sanity, the film is going to be ball crunching.