AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 73 48.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 31.13%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 13.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 4.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.66%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.32%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-05, 23:53   Link #21
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i was expecting an emo fest. its nice to know they didn't do that.. i was getting ready to rip into it too.
Old 2009-02-05, 23:55   Link #22
cjl

Just looking at the screens, but is that Sayuri's Anteater from Kanon?
Old 2009-02-05, 23:58   Link #23
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Kept feeling like he was going to treat her like he treated Fuko...
That would've actually been a good father and daughter relationship... somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Only nitpick of the episode: Ok, I'll accept that kids head to body ratio tends to be a little bigger than that of adults, but KyoAni exaggerated this a little
Then what scale of WTF would you put Lucky Star on?

Quote:
EDIT: Off tone note: Sanae is still hot as a 45 year old
YES! she's STILL hot! I guess all the running Akki provides pays off

禁則事項です

Last edited by Mecha_Trueno; 2009-02-06 at 00:34.
Old 2009-02-06, 01:08   Link #24
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Is there any part of this series that could count as "filler"?
Just about.
The Misae arc didn't really do anything other than flesh out 2 background characters with nothing to do with the main plot.

The summer omake episode at the end of the first season isn't a required episode to watch, even if it brings Tomoya and Nagisa closer. I guess it could count as filler.

Kotomi is pretty much a filler character. Her arc doesn't contribute anything to the main story. Sure, her parents were searching for "another world" but it isn't necessary to go through her arc to understand that other world. Her character, being completely stand-alone and unrelated to others in the original game, suffers from bad writing. This is because she could have gone to America by the end of her arc and exited the story as a fully fleshed character but the writers decided to keep her around and she ended up doing practically nothing and not developing at all. Basically a harem filler to make Tomoya and Youhei look cooler. Then, at the end of the School Life chapter of Clannad, she finally took off to America like she was supposed to do about 17 episodes earlier.
Old 2009-02-06, 01:29   Link #25
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl View Post
Just looking at the screens, but is that Sayuri's Anteater from Kanon?
LOL I noticed it too as soon as I saw him ^-^

Found it really awesome ^-^ One thing Ushio is taller than I imagined LOL
Not really much to say. Really well done with their interaction like everyone has mentioned. I loved the angles and cute habits animated. Other than I can't wait for 18.

His outburst reminds me of man on shinkansen >.> ....^-^"

Filler could be the baseball game but it helped not to go directly into the story so fast.
Old 2009-02-06, 01:50   Link #26
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

Only nitpick of the episode: Ok, I'll accept that kids head to body ratio tends to be a little bigger than that of adults, but KyoAni exaggerated this a little
What about Tomoya's stubby that magically disappeared half-way through his walk with Sanae? Of course, I should not expect him to keep it all the way, especially when he is about to visit Ushio.
Old 2009-02-06, 02:26   Link #27
SnackPacs
As Expected of 2chan

Bleh...

Spoiler for Raw Commentary:
Old 2009-02-06, 02:50   Link #28
cbatty
Such is liff

AQS subs are out...

http://a.scarywater.net/aquastar/CLA...5D.avi.torrent
Old 2009-02-06, 03:02   Link #29
SnackPacs
As Expected of 2chan

...Crap.

If only they'd come out half an hour sooner...
Old 2009-02-06, 03:36   Link #30
sikvod00

I'm grateful that I've never gone through anything as painful as what Tomoya has experienced. As such, I can't really get too angry over his behavior, even though he is unintentionally hurting another loved one.

As for there being no "boring, emo fest", well, this isn't real life, so I agree that it gets really frustrating\annoying from an audience's perspective. I'm assuming emo isn't something you guys use freely in the real world when hardship hits others and they don't endure it gracefully. That would be uncool.
Old 2009-02-06, 03:53   Link #31
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well, there is no anonymity as a shroud for people in real life, so people would tend to actually think before they say, at least more than on the Internet. (that topic we can go on and on...)

I find it interesting how that very minor characters are not totally dropped off in Clannad at all. Ms. Isogai is still active as is Tomoya's boss. For some reason, I actually don't find the backdrop itself artificial despite the inherant fantasy elements within their world.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2009-02-06, 04:00   Link #32
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The much older people actaully look a little older as well. Ms. Isogai's greying a bit more than that last time I remember seeing her (when Mr. Lizard somehow got down Sanae's back...so roughly six years for her)
Old 2009-02-06, 04:04   Link #33
SnackPacs
As Expected of 2chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
I'm grateful that I've never gone through anything as painful as what Tomoya has experienced. As such, I can't really get too angry over his behavior, even though he is unintentionally hurting another loved one.
It's still hard not to get angry over it, all I can help but think is he's just...

It's just disgusting. It breaks my heart to see Ushio so uncared for. When she fell, it really tugged at my heartstrings... I just wished somehow I could give her a hug. ;-;

To see no emotional attachment between the two, it's ungodly painful. Being raised with a parent who gave me a lot of attention... It's really uncomfortable.

Blah... I'm gonna need to watch something else cheerful at this rate after I finish watching the sub.. ;-;
Old 2009-02-06, 04:19   Link #34
OmegaPhlare
The Romanticism

It hurts to see them like this. I realize that Tomoya is so incredibly depressed, but throughout the episode, I can't help but facepalm myself and wonder "really?! there is no love here?". At many points I'm in disbelief. Tomoya's eyes have changed.

But because of all of that, this was a really awesome episode. It's hard to give this episode a high rating when the previous episode was so incredible, and after watching this episode I feel a little depressed myself, but anyways I gave it a 9 because it was so very interesting to me.

By the way, it tears at my heart to think if Nagisa might be watching over her family right now.
Old 2009-02-06, 04:29   Link #35
SnackPacs
As Expected of 2chan

I like to think though that it's just how she is when Tomoya's around.

I imagine Sanae and Akio give her all the love they can.

Makes it a little less painful.
Old 2009-02-06, 04:41   Link #36
sikvod00

LOL. I haven't even seen the episode yet--the spoilers aren't that bad--so maybe my opinion will change when I see how adorable Ushio is...(never seen her face before)..
I will say this: if he thought she was to blame for Nagisa's death and acted vindictive because of it, then he wouldn't have any pity from me. That would be too childish and
irrational. This issue really isn't one where you can just pick one side; both parties are hurt and deserve sympathy.

Oh, and the parallels between Tomoya's behavior and his father's are just scary. He's got to be out of jail by now...right?
Old 2009-02-06, 05:04   Link #37
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
You need to pause a bit. Stop thinking of how YOU should have acted in his situation, but how it will weight in his development as a character and father, and also on Ushio's development. I mean, there would not be any tension or drama if Tomoya got over it if he turned into a super widowed father (*). As a man, Tomoya is an emotional wreck (I may be exagerrating), his other half is now gone and he have yet to put the pieces back together. (For example, I think he still need to resolve his issues with his father.)

Tomoya have not realized that Ushio is not the end of his days with Nagisa, but a continuation. It is sort of parallel with Nagisa and her parents. She have seen herself as the end of her parents' dreams and it took Akio's passionate speech to convince Nagisa of the contrary. In the case of Ushio, even with Nagisa gone, she carries on her small shoulders the hopes of the Furukawa and Okazaki families. It will take a very cruel trick by fate to make Tomoya realize it.

(*) I am not asking for him to mop around and bring the angst to annoying levels like Shinji Ikari did in the Eva series.
Old 2009-02-06, 05:08   Link #38
Snooker
Call me neet.

I skipped OP because it 's too sad to watch Nagisa.
Old 2009-02-06, 05:09   Link #39
cbatty
Such is liff

Some thoughts while watching Ep 17.....

Spoiler for Ep 17:
Old 2009-02-06, 05:13   Link #40
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

@cbatty: Tomoyo and Tomoya should not be mistaken... or are you doing it on purpose? XD

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Closed Thread