AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-04, 23:57   Link #1
stevensmith1258

New to Anime and Need Help

Im relatively new to anime and I need help with some recommendations to get me started. Ill tell you a few anime that I have watched in order of me liking them.

1. Dragon Ball Z - powerful, great fighting, fantastic characters
2. Bleach - I really liked this series because the plot was always moving despite the fillers and the characters were amazing. Bleach is the only show that all of the characters can fight and there isnt one overly powerful protagonist ( Goku). I loved the idea of the soul society hierarchy. ALl of the captains were great and added alot to the story. This is close to dragon ball z.
3. Avatar the last air bender - I know its not an anime but i thought i would menton that i liked this a lot.
4. Pokemon - Liked it alot when i was younger. interesting concept but im looking for something more along the lines of bleach and dragon ball z.

Also I started Naruto recently and I couldn't stand it. I didnt like the animation, I didnt like the plot, I didnt like the main protagonist, I didnt like the fighting style. I know people are going to try to recommend naruto but ive already tried it. also i dont think i would like one piece

What Im looking for summed up: I like a moving plot that is interesting and involved a younger character group 15-25. There needs to be fighting action with a supernatural/ superpower twist to it. The protagonist needs to be likable so I can root for him and he needs to be surrounded with an excellent cast. i would like it if this cast could fight and had different but equally important roles as the protagonist. A little romance is great and adds to the character development but the entire show shouldn't revolve completely around a romance. There needs to be a english dub so i can get into it and once i get into an anime i can watch the more recent episodes sub. The main points are an action packed plot that is always moving and lots of dynamic characters.

please list your recommendations and why you think they fit my criteria.
THANKS FOR THE HELP!

*** For every one who is critizing me liking dub
- I like dub for the sole purpose of getting into the story. I understand what is going on and get interested with the dub, BUT the sub is MUCH better, dont base you opinion on this single fact. I like sub better but dub is easier for me to understand to start out with. For example i watched bleach and liked subed episodes better

Last edited by stevensmith1258; 2011-02-09 at 22:35.
Old 2011-02-05, 00:47   Link #2
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmith1258 View Post
There needs to be a english dub so i can get into it
Does not compute. I didn't get into anime until I saw one in Japanese. I'd always switch channels on Adult Swim when an anime came on because of the goofy voice acting.

I can't really advise you on anime in English. For example, I might suggest you watch Inuyasha but it's only worth watching in Japanese.

At this point I'd say you're better off browsing on your own to see what interests you. There are endless resources online. AniDB is my main source of info, but I'd suggest you check out some review sites as well... The ones I used to browse years ago aren't updated much anymore... but I'm sure google would serve you there.
Old 2011-02-05, 03:26   Link #3
HimOsiris
第六隊隊長-Dai roku tai taichō

I completely agree with jedinat. English dubs are gross, can't stand them. Totally kills the feel and mood. I would prefer to watch RAW than dubs, but then again i can understand 60% of it cause I studied it lols. This is just a mere suggestion that if you are just starting please don't sway down the wrong path. Develop a taste for subs to become a real anime fan otherwise you will be just another random kid who likes "cartoons".
Another benefit is that subs are readily available compared to dubs for every anime.

Now speaking of anime those are good to start with. 90% of anime fans start with DBZ. Pokemon is good when u were young but it doesn't work now. Basically what I see is that you like anime in the genre of Supernatural/Superpower + Action. But the overall thing or theme that you like is called Developing powers as in the protagonist grows stronger as the series proceeds by training and hard work to protect the people he loves bla bla bla... So here are some you might like not sure about dubs though...
Claymore (TV) 2007-04-03 to 2007-09-25 : It has dubs
Yu Yu Hakusho: Ghost Files (TV) 1992-10-10 to 1995-01-07 : It has dubs
Kekkaishi (TV) 2006-10-16 to 2008-02-11
D.Gray-man (TV) 2006-10-03 to 2008-09-30 : It has dubs
Buso Renkin (TV) 2006-10-04
S-CRY-ed (TV) 2001-07-04 to 2001-12-26

I was surprised you didn't like naruto, but you know what I didn't like it either in the beginning. It is all about getting in mood or the fighting spirit. You could say it is way too emotional and lot of drama. But it is a good one time watch. On the other hand ONE PEICE is simply yukh...

Last edited by HimOsiris; 2011-02-10 at 07:49.
Old 2011-02-05, 04:16   Link #4
Solidus1321

Send a message via Yahoo to Solidus1321
Yeah I understand what you are talking about with wanting it in dub, I guess my ears are broken because I don't care how the VA sound, I just rather watch something that I don't have to read and focus whats going on in the show. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against watching something in japanese, I should encourage you to try to get into watching sub anime, or you will miss out on a lot if you just avoid all subs.

Anyways I think I will throw in History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1559/Hi...sciple_Kenichi

Great MA type action, with a bit of romance, and some great comedy, now I am not sure how far its dubbed or not be I know its good enough to get you started, unless they finished dubbing the whole thing
Old 2011-02-05, 04:32   Link #5
HimOsiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus1321 View Post
Anyways I think I will throw in History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1559/Hi...sciple_Kenichi
Good shout, seconding HSDK Kenichi.

But
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus1321 View Post
I just rather watch something that I don't have to read and focus whats going on in the show.
Multitasking, its not that hard. Plus there is great advantage with subs/raw : English dubs just twist the words and events according to situation which would best suit English standards and you end up with just 70% accuracy loosing 30% originality. I consider that disrespect.
Old 2011-02-05, 05:53   Link #6
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I recommend Fullmetal Alchemist. I think you'll love it. It's about two brothers going on a quest to find the Philosopher's Stone.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-02-05 at 06:09.
Old 2011-02-05, 06:00   Link #7
HimOsiris

Lols Haak, so much for spoiler alert!
Old 2011-02-05, 06:01   Link #8
Boduar

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you dont mind the mecha. Similar to your listings I think Kiba might work as well although its a bit older.
Old 2011-02-05, 06:08   Link #9
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimOsiris View Post
Lols Haak, so much for spoiler alert!
That's the freaking premise of the show. It's not that much of a spoiler but i guess if some people really think it is...
Old 2011-02-05, 06:27   Link #10
HimOsiris

あなたと冗談
hahaha just messing with ya mate!
But u really did edit it.
Old 2011-02-05, 07:54   Link #11
kitten320

Ok... this will be hard... for one never really got into DBZ and for 2 saying that Bleach has a great plot and aweasome main character? Just no, no and NO!

What I understood is that you like power ups... Try Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann which I didn't like but there are 90% of chance that you will.

Also you want the main hero to be a male... too bad, because there are great series such as Claymore and Ga-Rei Zero where girl is the lead.

Ok, here goes the list:
You can try Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, also not my fave but might get your attention.

Toaru Majutsu no Index - action, super powers and main hero reminds me of Ichigo a lot especially in season 2.

07-Ghost - for onw, biggest part of characters has Bleach character voices (in raw, not dub). Also action with powers, but you need to give it several episodes in order to get into it.

Baccano! - gun action but it has one of the best written stories despite having simple concept "train robbery" and some great characters.

Code Geass - if you don't mind Mecha, main hero is completly fifferent from those you saw so far. He actually remonds of villian more. A nice plot with interesting twists.

D.Gray Man - at the start reminds of Bleach but over all is different.

Death Note - not really an action show but since you are new, I though I could suggest something different for change. Basicly the guy finds a notebook and whoevers name he will write down, wiil die. It is great anime with mind plays. Has it downfalls but over all quiet worthy.

Fate/Stay Night - action, nice story, romance...

Full Metal Panic - mecha

Fullmetal Alchemist

Inuyasha

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - also something slightly different, not supernatural and involves guns but it has a very good developed story with some very likebla characters which cause a lot of different emotions to go through you.

Soul Eater
Old 2011-02-05, 09:50   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmmm...

It has to have an English dub. That shortens the number of shows, but there are still some good ones out there:

Fullmetal Alchemist would be the first to come to mind. There are actually two versions. The original anime followed the manga story and then half way through went off on it's own storyline. The newest version Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood follows the manga story.

Personally I think the first anime had better early character development, but had a "meh" ending. Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood is the better anime over all. (I'd give Brotherhood a 10, and the original anime a 9). The English voice acting for this anime is usually considered superb.

Another one you might like is Soul Eater which has some very different visual styles. I know there is an English dub, though I haven't seen it.

Full Metal Panic would be a good one to try out. Even if you aren't a big fan of mecha, since FMP is known for appealing to non-mecha fans as well as mecha fans. It also has a good English dub.

Inuyasha is an older one, but fits your preferences rather well, and it's from the same time era as DBZ. Personally I thought the Japanese dub was atrocious, and can only bear to watch it in English, which I understand to be generally considered a good English dub. Has some filler though.

Those are the four I'd start with. All four have fighting with a supernatural twist. All four have a good cast, that can provide support.

There are others too, that are a little further from your request:

Shakugan no Shana
Chrono Crusade
Chrome Shelled Regios (Not sure if this one has an English dub)
Crest of the Stars (I know it has an English dub, but don't know how good it is).
Starblazers (An old one that I watched as a kid in the eighties).
Read or Die (the OVA series)

One that is outside your genre (although it has a bit of overlap) is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It has a very good English dub, and if you are interested in trying something a bit different you might try this show. You'll want to watch it in DVD order though, not broadcast order.

Also of special worth is Neon Genesis Evangelion. Although you might want to wait a bit before attempting that one.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2011-02-05 at 20:51.
Old 2011-02-07, 23:09   Link #13
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request

A lot of the things that you are looking for aren't hard to find until you said It Has To Be In English.

That will limit you on a lot of anime and generally the English Dubs are not as good as the originally Japanese Dubs. I recommend that you open up your choices and accept English Subs because if you don't finding a lot of good anime is going to be hard.

But for you I recommend :

Code Geass

Death Note

Inuyasha ( I think works best with what your looking for. )

Outside of what your looking for :
( Just to see if you'd give it a try )

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Lucky Star

Durarara!!

All of the above have an english dub, although Durarara's English Dub is not complete.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is probably on of the better animes that I've seen (although it only fits some of the things your looking for. ) and its English Dub is pretty good as well.
Old 2011-02-08, 21:54   Link #14
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Add another recomandation for death note,it's not fighting but believe me it's more intense than a lot of fighting anime and will have you on the edge of your seat,the original manga was published in the same magazine that publishes bleach and published DBZ.

I like the dub too,even if it can be over the top (insert patato chip joke here)

Here's the trailer of the dub
Old 2011-02-09, 04:48   Link #15
sparrowhead

i'd recommend Naruto but i has a lot of fillers. still on going.
Neon genesis evangelion if you like to blow your mind.
Death Note awesomeness is not a comparison to this anime.
Vandread if you like cute girls in space.
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu to laugh your heart out.
Bleach would do but its like Dragon ball that ichigo always powers up difference is he's not a saiyan.

well thats my list hehe

"Life is a lesson you’ll learn it when you’re through."

"Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change."

Old 2011-02-09, 05:23   Link #16
EroKing

It's been mentioned a few times already but gonna recommend 4 things.

1. Code Geass

2. Code Geass

3. Code Geass

4. Do NOT watch the english dubs!
Old 2011-02-09, 06:54   Link #17
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, its only 27 episodes + 2 movies (the first movie is meh but the second is awesome) but the story is fast pace, the characters started young until they become grown ups, the animation is frantic/comedic and the action is very well done

try movies too like Sword of the Stranger, Final Fantasy Advent Children Complete, Spriggan if you like action
Old 2011-02-09, 23:02   Link #18
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Geez, I'm shocked at all the dub hate in this thread.

Sure I can understand encouraging a guy to try out some subtitled shows because he'd be missing out on some good stuff, but actively discouraging him from watching a dub?

There are some really good dubs out there. There is nothing intrinsically better about Japanese dubs over English dubs. I'll admit that there are some aspects that tend to make the Japanese dub the better dub, but it's not a hard rule that you can apply to every single show ever.

I mean... Inuyasha? The Japanese dub was horrible in the first two episodes (I've been told it got better later, but I gave up at that point and switched to English, which was a much better dub. Inuyasha's voice actually fit his character in the English dub).

On the other hand, I can't stand the English Ranma dub, Japanese all the way on that show. (Funny enough Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2 have the same voice actors- go figure).

So I'm not against pointing out that specific shows have bad dubs, and that you enjoy them more in Japanese, but making blanket statements against English dubs in general is just an attempt to "keep the riffraff out" as my Econ Professor said once about his economics lingo.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-02-10, 00:42   Link #19
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
There are some really good dubs out there. There is nothing intrinsically better about Japanese dubs over English dubs. I'll admit that there are some aspects that tend to make the Japanese dub the better dub, but it's not a hard rule that you can apply to every single show ever.
Of course there is. The English is a translation. There is also no Japanese "dub"--though I guess sounds better and more equalizing to you to call it that, it's not a dub when it's the original.
Old 2011-02-10, 02:35   Link #20
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Of course there is. The English is a translation.
And most people are going to be reading the subs when they choose to listen to the japanese version.So unless you know japanese then it doesn't make a difference.