AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-07-21, 10:42   Link #41
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

I felt SBR was a little too messy for my taste though. + the last boss for SBR was atypically "unbroken"
Hisoka?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 13:57   Link #42
marvelB

Yeah, I can definitely understand how Jojo wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea. Araki's ever-evolving art style takes quite a bit of getting used to (the same applied for me, many moons ago), and as the series' title suggests, it's just flat-out..... well, bizarre. However, despite that, I still recommend reading parts 1-3 first since A) they pretty much set up the basic framework of the series (even though Stands aren't actually introduced until part 3), and B) their stories are all heavily intertwined with each other. On the opposite end, I would NOT recommend starting with Stone Ocean (part 6), 'cuz if you were weirded out by the first few Jojolion chapters, then the entirety of SO would pretty much make you want to rip out your brain.

....Personally, I'd also say go with part 4, but there's kind of a problem with the most widely available translations for it being really, really, reeeeeeaaaallllly terrible (DUWANG, anyone?). There actually have been much higher-quality translations released during the past few years, but the problem is that the re-trans hasn't been completed yet (nor does it seem like it'll be complete anytime soon.....). 'Course, you can go ahead and read the DUWANG'd version if you want, but..... just beware (though the horrible translation is not without its own unique charm, I must admit). It's rather a shame that there's no complete (decent) trans for it, because I rather enjoy its slice of life-ish approach (something I'm not usually fond of), love the awesome characters and Stands (Rohan Kishibe owns and you know it, bitches), and IMO it has the best main villain in the series after Dio. I truly do hope that Jojolion brings back that magic that made me love part 4 so much......

Well, enough of my part 4 ramblings for now! If you really want to start off from one of the later parts, then SBR (which is indeed a series reboot) would be your best bet, as others have already mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka?? View Post
I felt SBR was a little too messy for my taste though. + the last boss for SBR was atypically "unbroken"

ALL final Jojo bosses are broken, including SBR's. Or are you referring to the final-final boss? Because that guy's powers are broken, too.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 05:12   Link #43
GreatTeacherKen

Spoiler for steel ball run chapter 76 and 77:
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 14:19   Link #44
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for SBR 77:
Old 2011-08-26, 09:28   Link #45
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...on-anime-films

WHAT
Are they shitting me? Jojo live action... that's just preposterous. I just can't imagine what it would look like

Whatever happened to the Phantom Blood movie by the way?
Old 2011-08-26, 10:52   Link #46
marvelB

Live-action Jojo!? LOLWUT

That's.... an interesting idea, I guess. But I gotta wonder which saga it will be based on. I'm guessing it might be an adaption of part 3 or 5 (since they're the most popular, but I think part 4 might work as well), though it'll be mighty strange to see Stands in CGI form.....

As for the anime film, I'm so hoping it'll be an SBR adaption. It wouldn't work as a full series (none of the Jojo sagas would, IMO), but I always felt that SBR would make for a sweet movie or OVA. What better way would there be to show off some more badassery from Gyro or Valentine (aside from a video game, that is)?

And about the Phantom Blood movie: As far as I know, it flopped. I remember seeing some reviews a few years back that said it sucked since quite a lot of content from the original manga version was cut from the movie (no Speedwagon, no Jack the Ripper.... even no Danny (which makes zero sense since Dio killing Danny was kind of one of the main early triggers of the conflict between him and Jonathan). Personally, I'm actually kind of interested in seeing the movie myself even if it's so bad (the lack of Speedwagon is gonna be what hurts me the most, though....).
Old 2011-08-26, 11:25   Link #47
GreatTeacherKen

Of all the anime/manga to get a live action adaptation. . .

I mean, the manga is popular in Japan, but due to its well 'bizarre' nature, I figure it'd be tricky to adapt it. A faithful adaptation would be outright crazy, but then again, Japan has produced some outright insane live action films before (Robo Geisha anyone?)

I wonder how how the crazy and yet tactical fights would look in live action; It will definitely need a lot of, what will hopefully be good, special effects work. I also wonder if they'll keep the animal cruelty in the adaptation.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 12:30   Link #48
ellifeedn
Thinker

It's funny you should be talking about a live action version. Recently I've been watching this guy's videos and just last night I saw this. (Go to the 7 minute mark and watch till 7:40).
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 14:03   Link #49
marvelB

So.... yeah, about those Jojo movies? Looks like they weren't actually confirmed. Somehow, this news doesn't surprise me.....

Anyway, for Jojo-related stuff that HAS been confirmed:

-A novel will be released next month that's a spin-off story starring Fugo from part 5! Now, note that Araki isn't the one writing the story, but he WILL be providing some art:

Spoiler:

While I never really cared much about Fugo (or most of the part 5 characters in general, for that matter), I still think it's cool that he's getting his own spin-off stories, since he was forced out of Giorno's story so suddenly (supposedly, Araki got rid of him because he found his stand too "overpowered", which I frankly find to be highly ironic, considering that freaking GER came along not too long after his departure. It's a shame too, because I thought Purple Haze was a pretty awesome stand....).

-ALSO! Our favorite mangaka Rohan Kishibe is getting yet another spin-off story (drawn and written by Araki this time )! Interestingly enough, this story will be published in a women's fashion magazine. Actually, it seems the manga has been scanned already (the story's supposed to be pretty short), but there's no translation for it so far. Basically, the manga is pretty much a Gucci ad. Heh, I'm kind of surprised that Araki hasn't done manga for fashion mags earlier, considering how FABULOUS the Jojo characters are.

Well, nice to see that Araki's been working on other projects while taking a break from Jojolion (which, thankfully, will continue next month). Credit goes to the JJBA Community for the info and pics, BTW.
Old 2011-08-29, 14:52   Link #50
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm relieved there won't be any live action movies, but it's kind of shame there won't be animated ones.

I never cared much for Fugo either so him getting a spin-off story leaves me cold. Jojo has tons of awesome characters that deserves a spin-off, and I can't say Fugo is on top of my list. Could be interesting I guess, but I doubt it'll ever be translated.

Rohan getting another spin-off is a nice news though. More Rohan is always good.
Old 2011-09-16, 12:16   Link #51
marvelB

Well, it's September, so Jojolion resumes this month! And so, we have spoiler pics:

Spoiler:
Old 2011-09-16, 12:42   Link #52
ellifeedn
Thinker

^ Well... That's an interesting name.
Old 2011-09-16, 12:49   Link #53
marvelB

I hope Araki uses a Daft Punk reference sometime in the near future and names a stand "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger".
Old 2011-09-19, 12:29   Link #54
marvelB

Pardon the bump, but.... I saw this posted at AP forums and I just HAD to share it here:

Spoiler:

This is beyond awesome.
Old 2011-09-26, 11:31   Link #55
marvelB

Bumped again! The whole Jojolion chapter still hasn't been scanned yet, but I did come across a summary from someone who read the chap in the magazine:

Spoiler for Jojolion chapter 4:

I hope the full chapter gets released soon.....
Old 2011-09-27, 10:59   Link #56
marvelB

I suppose it's up to lil' ol' me to keep this thread alive....

Anyways, the raw for Jojolion is finally out, and there's a translation, as well (not in scan form, though. You can find it here). There's not really much more to comment on beyond that summary from my previous post (though I will say that this is officially the most boobage Araki's ever drawn in a Jojo chapter, ever ).

Also, a few more small notes:

Spoiler for Jojolion chapter 4":

Really great chapter, this one (great art, too!). I'm very much looking forward to how events will transpire next month!
Old 2011-09-27, 12:28   Link #57
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm still here

I've just decided to wait for the scanlations from now on, since it looks it's going to be released regularly.
Old 2011-09-27, 16:30   Link #58
ellifeedn
Thinker

I'm here waiting for scanlations too. And you could use the edit button from time to time.

Just saying.
Old 2011-10-03, 11:06   Link #59
larethian

I need to start reading this, because the light novel I'm reading now keeps referencing this
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 11:13   Link #60
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I'm here waiting for scanlations too. And you could use the edit button from time to time.

Just saying.

Yeah, my bad. I admit I wanted to keep the thread alive, but I do agree that 3-4 posts in a row may be a bit much. I'll be a bit more lenient from now on.....

And BTW, the scanlation for JJL chapter 4 IS out now.

Tags
action, adventure