AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-04-06, 08:13   Link #121
niffum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike211 View Post
Are you saying they might be covering 8 volumes. If that the case, I hope they do a good job with 26 eps.
It's probably do-able since volume 5 is mostly short stories, most of which can probably be skipped over. And large swathes of volume 7 are action scenes that won't exactly take up huge amounts of time. I am still a bit dubious about them being able to do the novels justice if they do decide cram in volume 8, but given episode 1's first scene, it would be really jarring if they didn't cover the Reminiscence arc.
niffum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 08:14   Link #122
@GEMC

Madhouse is always good in composing music background in their anime production especially in the important scenes
Old 2014-04-06, 08:43   Link #123
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
as long as it didn't become 1 episode per volume I am happy
Let's not set standards too low.

Of course it differs from book to book, and the kind of content inside, but I've always thought that 4 episodes minimum to adapt a single average length volume seems like the right mix.

There's adaptions that push the scope of their adaption further than even the source material as done by KyoAni several times ( Haruhi stretched their single volume adaption through timeline shifting and mini-stories, FMP and Chuunibyou added content to pad and add, etc ), but I don't see many stories that can do it in less than 4 episodes well.

Granted, Mahouka's story approach is one-arc told in 2 volumes, so there's a lot more window to stretch here and there.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 09:12   Link #124
Ultragunner

the 1st episode covers up to the later half of chapter 2 vol 1, so I expect vol 1 will take up to 3-4 episodes.

Episode 2 would probably end with the fight against Hattori, then episode 3 would stop at Tatsuya owning Kirihara and his club . At this rate, the Enrolment Arc would climax at episode 6 (or 7, or 8), not really bad considering the first arc is nowhere exciting and convoluted as the others. Madhouse can leave some room and focus on the Nine School Competition and the Yokohama, this I have no problem at all
Old 2014-04-06, 09:56   Link #125
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Only thing that really felt weird to me was when Tatsuya encountered Mizuki and learned about her sensitive eyesight. In the LN, he kind of tried to misdirect attention from it to her being self-conscious of her eyesight.

But in the anime, they made it seem much more sinister, like he was planning to kill her right there or something. Threw me for a loop.
The manga made him seem sinister too. Remember the part where Morisaki claimed he didn't show him his true strength and Tatsuya thought there wouldn't be a next time? I think one of the shortcomings with the LN is that it sometimes fail to properly convey the tone when Tatsuya's serious.

Spoiler for Manga:

Quote:
Originally Posted by questmas View Post
After reading this thread, I had to go back and watch the OP 5 times just find everything everyone was talking about. I can't believe how many spoilers are in the OP....

Anyway, how much of the story do you think the anime will cover? I can see it covering up to yokohama with reminiscence as flashbacks. In fact, i feel like reminiscence won't make much sense without yokohama.
Of course there are going to be spoilers in the OP. Don't they always show antagonists and future characters there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galacticichi View Post

Everyone is a weed!
OMFG! MADHOUSE get your head out of your ass! But this wasn't there first mistake. Look at the world map in the beginning and notice East EU and West EU.

Quote:
I just watch the 1st eps of Mahouka and I think it was a great eps.
Only a minor stuff was left out and it seem to follow the LN quite well and hopefully it wouls continue doing so.

By the look of the end credit, the anime would do the first 2 arc (Enrollment and Nine Schools Competition) which is 4 volumes in 26 eps. Let hope that is enough and they don't screw it up.

Well, since the anime hype me up I guess I have to re-read the LN.
They're probably going to do another opening or at least change the visuals. From what I can tell from the first episode, We should wrap up the enrollment arc in 6-8 episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
You know guys, it's only taken 1 episode for some people in the anime thread to say Gary Stu. What the heck was in the 1st episode that even made Tatsuya seem like a Gary Stu anway?
You can't really blame them. To anime-only viewers, Tatsuya's aloof, indifferent, but confident demeanor would strike others as sort of Gary Stu, but every series demands a leap of faith on the viewers' part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Some people i come across have already started to drop to the anime after seeing that the first episode was slow....

oh my...., usually i would say "don't judge a book by its cover"
but..... that's pretty sad.

also, they think this is gonna be full of harem, and incest... oh little do they know.
Well, that is their God-given right to remain stupid.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 10:09   Link #126
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
You can't really blame them. To anime-only viewers, Tatsuya's aloof, indifferent, but confident demeanor would strike others as sort of Gary Stu, but every series demands a leap of faith on the viewers' part.
That's impossible to consider him as a Stu for an anime-only viewer who knows absolutely nothing of the LN. They are people who read some LN posts and are trying to annoy the fandom. What did he do who puts him in GS department?
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 10:26   Link #127
Verisimilitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
That's impossible to consider him as a Stu for an anime-only viewer who knows absolutely nothing of the LN. They are people who read some LN posts and are trying to annoy the fandom. What did he do who puts him in GS department?
Exactly. There's nothing in this episode to even suggest that Tatsuya is a Gary Stu (even the term is retarded.)
Verisimilitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 10:28   Link #128
BW95
Banned

Quote:
Is it? It's clear even to an anime-only viewer that Tatsuya is hiding something. He's good at martial arts, he super smart as Miyuki testified, and he's got some sort of hidden power if his blowing up that ship was anything to go by.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 10:31   Link #129
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Exactly. There's nothing in this episode to even suggest that Tatsuya is a Gary Stu (even the term is retarded.)
I agree 100% with this statement. "Gary Stu" needs to die.
Lucarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 11:25   Link #130
Lazy cat

Quote:
material burst ? is the only posibility i can think, but even so calling him a gary stu with 20 seonds of anime is totaly overkill and prejudgement, it only shows that they have a formed opinion even before giving the anime a chance

for the people who said the pace of the anime is slow... well i can't realy blame then, the first arc is slow
Lazy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 11:34   Link #131
Ultraviolet X

Just watched the first ep of Mahouka, it was nice, but then again I had low expectations because of what was done to Mahou Sensou. I am a bit put off by the voices of Miyuki and Mayumi though they seem abit off to me. It was slow paced, but thats fine, and they seem to have put in the right amount of information in without it seeming to much, just all the relevant parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucarion View Post
I agree 100% with this statement. "Gary Stu" needs to die.
The definition is fine, the problem is that people have been misunderstanding the definition.

Quote:
Theres everything to suggest that he is, all the little things dropped in the first ep do hint at this. Its only the first ep though, as the anime progresses it might become more clear that hes not.
Ultraviolet X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 11:43   Link #132
Regen

Hello everyone. I am just someone passing by. Just want to point out in OP when tatsuya facing ichijou, tatsuya still wearing second course uniform. In LN he wear course one uniform (with emblem) because Nine School Competition is nation wide event.
Regen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 12:38   Link #133
Ultraviolet X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy cat View Post
material burst ? is the only posibility i can think, but even so calling him a gary stu with 20 seonds of anime is totaly overkill and prejudgement, it only shows that they have a formed opinion even before giving the anime a chance
Its not just material burst. He's picked up some friends fast, and as BW95 has pointed out, he's good at martial arts, he is super smart, and he's got some hidden powers. If I was an anime only viewer, judging from the ep I would think Tatsuya might be a Gary stu. As the anime progresses, it should become clear that he isn't. It's not like being a stu is actually a bad thing anyways, I can think of a few popular shows/animes where the lead is a stu/sue.

On a side note, im really interested in how Madhouse portrays Miyuki later on. Depending on how they do her, she might be seen as a Mary sue or whatever there called these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regen View Post
Hello everyone. I am just someone passing by. Just want to point out in OP when tatsuya facing ichijou, tatsuya still wearing second course uniform. In LN he wear course one uniform (with emblem) because Nine School Competition is nation wide event.
Thanks for pointing that out, didn't even notice till you mentioned it. Well, its not like this is the first mistake they have done.

Last edited by Ultraviolet X; 2014-04-06 at 18:26. Reason: Corrections
Old 2014-04-06, 12:49   Link #134
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet X View Post
On a side note, im really interested in how Madhouse portrays Miyuki later on. Depending on how they do her, she might be seen as a mary stu or whatever the female equivalent of stu is called these days.

Mary Sue.

The term started with a female character. Then the "male equivalent" came out later.
Rasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 13:02   Link #135
Lazy cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regen View Post
they migth have done so to not cause further confusion on the anime only viewers, wich is very prudent considering the many persons who seem to be confused with the ep1.
Lazy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 13:46   Link #136
Ultraviolet X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasen View Post

Mary Sue.

The term started with a female character. Then the "male equivalent" came out later.
Im aware. But the first male equivilent was called "Marty-Stu" and now it seems to have changed to Gary stu. Likewise, at first the term was meant to describe an impossibly perfect character in the fictional setting, but now carries a second generalized meaning of an inserted wish fullfilment character.
Old 2014-04-06, 13:52   Link #137
Galacticichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet X View Post
Its not just material burst. He's picked up some friends fast, and as BW95 has pointed out, he's good at martial arts, he is super smart, and he's got some hidden powers. If I was an anime only viewer, judging from the ep I would think Tatsuya might be a Gary stu. As the anime progresses, it should become clear that he isn't. It's not like being a stu is actually a bad thing anyways, I can think of a few popular shows/animes where the lead is a stu/sue.
If anyone thinks that he is a stu right now, then they will firmly believe so later on as the whole 9SC is seniors and classmates remarking about how amazing Tatsuya is. I just don't believe that later events won't support that thinking, but enough about stus!

In regards to episodes, I think they will be uneven. It won't be clean cut 3 episodes each or even 4 episodes each since they will try and show the most important things. We can all agree there's a disparity between important events throughout 7 volumes
Galacticichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 14:09   Link #138
babbo3d
2d 3d all lolis are equal

they ruined it that was awful.
Old 2014-04-06, 15:23   Link #139
anonfr

Quote:
Are you saying they might be covering 8 volumes. If that the case, I hope they do a good job with 26 eps.
No I'm saying episodes 1-12 will probably cover 3 volumes at the very least. Probably like 3 1/2 though. I can see the 9SC ending at episode 14-15. hmm.

@ultraviolet you actually had a typo error when you said Mary Stu instead of Marty Stu I think.
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 15:39   Link #140
IceHism

I don't believe that it will be too hard to incorporate volume 8 into the series. It could just be a bunch of flashbacks scattered throughout all the episodes, maybe preferably at the beginning like they did with the okinawa attack and material burst. and then after the material burst at yokohama, they could end the 1st season with them visiting their aunt. To anime only viewers, this is really probably really good because the Yotsuba family is pretty much hinted to be the final boss and it will raise a lot of questions

I don't know how much side stories will be put in from volume 5 but i am certain that at least summer break and the student council election will be in.

I feel that the priority placed on different arcs will be different for each. They will try to minimalize the amount of episodes put into enrollment arc and put more into 9 schools and Yokohama.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote