AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2009-11-10, 17:13   Link #1
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

Feedback

Hello, even through I only just registered, I been lurking here for a while now.

One suggestion I have is for the forum setup here and anything else it applies too: http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

There is really no need to have it like this, you can make it so the forum is read only, so it acts like a real category unlike like a locked category as it is now, I believe the forum software ACP does have that option, I believe the option is "treat as category".

The next thing, is I really don't get why for some old shows, the forums are locked so no new topics are allowed but instead you have to request them, from what I have seen, this makes some topics really big, I seen one with over 4000 replys within a single topic... this really makes finding information or having a discussion impossible for a new comer and I honestly don't see the reason for it, I would image there is no bandwidth or storage space issues, why do it?

I've just started to watch a lot shows, girls bravo, to love ru, seto no hanayom, school days, kiss x sis, hellsing, many more and would love to talk about them, but it seems the topics or forums for some of these shows are locked up now, only allowing you to post in topics that are like said before.. 4000 replys long.

Is this a moderation problem, if so, just hire more mods?

Regards

Iron
IronWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 17:44   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
One suggestion I have is for the forum setup here and anything else it applies too: http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51
To quote http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=28797
Quote:
This forum is supposed to act as a category. But in order for vBulletin not to actually treat it that way in terms of looks and formatting, it's actually a forum that doesn't allow posting.
In other words, yes I know it's wrong, but if you mark the forum "as a category" then the formatting will be wrong.

Quote:
The next thing, is I really don't get why for some old shows, the forums are locked so no new topics are allowed but instead you have to request them, from what I have seen, this makes some topics really big, I seen one with over 4000 replys within a single topic... this really makes finding information or having a discussion impossible for a new comer and I honestly don't see the reason for it, I would image there is no bandwidth or storage space issues, why do it?
The reason is structure. When we still allowed anyone to just create threads for just about any reason each sub-forum was a mess.

Anyway, I think what it boils down to is - even if the thread is big, if you want to discuss a certain topic and there already is a proper thread for it, there simply is no point whatsoever in creating a new thread just because you just started watching an old series.

And for those large threads I don't think it's a huge problem to start your post with "I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I'd like to ask/talk about..."
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 18:14   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Is this a moderation problem, if so, just hire more mods?
I'm amused that GHDpro chose to ignore this suggestion, as if anyone here were getting paid!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 20:47   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ IronWarrior: Topics to series which have their own dedicated forum haven't been restricted, as you suggest. This is actually part of the forum design. To avoid useless topics the thread creation process involves passing though a moderator, thus to enforce this, the "Request thread" system came to be. Why these measures? Blame Shuffle!
Old 2009-11-11, 13:38   Link #5
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
To quote http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=28797

In other words, yes I know it's wrong, but if you mark the forum "as a category" then the formatting will be wrong.

Not sure what you mean here, formating be wrong, a bug or something?

The reason is structure. When we still allowed anyone to just create threads for just about any reason each sub-forum was a mess.

Hire more mods, enforce rules, hand out bans.

Anyway, I think what it boils down to is - even if the thread is big, if you want to discuss a certain topic and there already is a proper thread for it, there simply is no point whatsoever in creating a new thread just because you just started watching an old series.

And for those large threads I don't think it's a huge problem to start your post with "I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I'd like to ask/talk about..."
Replys in red.

Thing is, having huge topics where it is a never ending discussion is out of date, like the old /b chan boreds.

This seems to be the number one forum for anime, so I guess it's something to accept, but it really really does put me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
@ IronWarrior: Topics to series which have their own dedicated forum haven't been restricted, as you suggest. This is actually part of the forum design. To avoid useless topics the thread creation process involves passing though a moderator, thus to enforce this, the "Request thread" system came to be. Why these measures? Blame Shuffle!

Why what did Shuffle! do?

I guess people was raged with the crap ending it got?

I didn't like it as well... but I do love Shuffle!