Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-12-16, 17:36   Link #81
Vane
Hyouka

Send a message via MSN to Vane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koominator View Post
This is my first time doing this so I am really nervous But here is my first try
Hope it's good.

As a quick comment I could say that it's quite good - except for the text. It's way too christmas-ey by colours and maybe also by fonts. Well, maybe not fonts, colours are the main reason Otherwise I like it.
Old 2011-12-16, 17:50   Link #82
Krytonis
Koomi-kun~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vane View Post
As a quick comment I could say that it's quite good - except for the text. It's way too christmas-ey by colours and maybe also by fonts. Well, maybe not fonts, colours are the main reason Otherwise I like it.
Oh man your right! I just looked at those colours and wondered 'Where have I seen those colours before?'. Then I saw your comment Well here is the fixed one.

Character: Lelouch Lamperouge / Lelouch Vi Britannia
Image Source: http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/341958
Old 2011-12-16, 19:15   Link #83
Katapan
俺様祭り

I'm completely unexperienced with Photoshop, but I like the idea of these contests so much that I usually end up trying to make something anyway.

Here's an attempt at a simple MawaPen banner - comments would be highly appreciated since I really am not used to this and can't tell whether there's a glaring error in there! I may not be able to fix much with my skills but it's always worth a try.

If I'm doing things right, the gradient looks OK to me.

The original picture can be found here: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=23515230
Old 2011-12-16, 19:25   Link #84
Krytonis
Koomi-kun~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
I'm completely unexperienced with Photoshop, but I like the idea of these contests so much that I usually end up trying to make something anyway.

Here's an attempt at a simple MawaPen banner - comments would be highly appreciated since I really am not used to this and can't tell whether there's a glaring error in there! I may not be able to fix much with my skills but it's always worth a try.

The original picture can be found here: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=23515230
Hey... I like it
Old 2011-12-16, 20:15   Link #85
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
@Ryonea The problem with my first version was the text, especialy a text than look good and is easy to read, it has to be too much to the right. As the text's color, you think of something like that ?

As for yours, the paw-shaped font isn't bad but mightn't relate with the winter theme
I see... well, those are only my preferences, though The reddish font looked better for me, but the glow shouldn't be blue, I think I'd use white strokes (not glow), like one in my entry

These are just my opinion, just do whatever you think is best

Quote:
Font color is too flashy how about using the purple from Lelouch's jacket?
The design itself is very good!

Quote:

Are you really new to photoshop? I find it very good
Old 2011-12-16, 20:27   Link #86
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

v4.1
v4.2
v4.3

I fixed the hair a little bit, but I dunno with the background since I kinda like how you see it but not too much to stand out.

Though more C&C would be welcome.

Last edited by ahelo; 2011-12-16 at 20:37.
ahelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 21:30   Link #87
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:

Yes, you are pretty much ready to roll if you don't plan on making further changes.

Quote:
Oh man your right! I just looked at those colours and wondered 'Where have I seen those colours before?'. Then I saw your comment Well here is the fixed one.

Character: Lelouch Lamperouge / Lelouch Vi Britannia
Image Source: http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/341958
You need to fix the size of the banner. Max allowed is 61440 bytes and yours is 64089 bytes. The color of the font also makes it harder to read.
Old 2011-12-16, 23:12   Link #88
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
This is my first time doing this so I am really nervous But here is my first try
Hope it's good.

Colors need more blending in this one. The green and red stand out too much compared to the shades of blue and aren't prevalent enough. Try matching the red in the text with the color of the rose, or vice versa. Get rid of the outer glow because that doesn't help with text blending. Also think about smudging the sides a bit more so they look like smoke/vapor instead of semi-solid smudges where you can see the direction? But otherwise great job! Snow flakes are a nice touch

Quote:

Try not to position the focal in the dead center of the canvas, even a slight, subtle shift makes it better! ^^ Also you might want to think about adding some blending because right now I don't see any attempt, although you could probably get away with it since the render fits the bg and effects Lastly, did you burn and dodge the render? If you did, I would undo it. If you didn't, either establish a l/s or just make the entire render the same brightness because right now, the light hitting the render doesn't make much sense (i'd say dodge the right side of her head and the darker portion of the hair). Both sides of her head are shaded while her face is lighted up and half her hair to the right is shaded and then the rest of it is lighted. Unless the render has a very small l/s right in front of her face, that's not possible. Also, if the text was supposed to the l/s lighting up her hair, try to make the change in brightness on her hair more smooth and not as sudden. Also I'd suggest trying a couple more g-maps Very aesthetically pleasing outcome overall! Just work on the fine details a bit more...
Old 2011-12-16, 23:32   Link #89
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
I fixed the hair a little bit, but I dunno with the background since I kinda like how you see it but not too much to stand out.

Though more C&C would be welcome.
Well, if the BG was intentional then no problem I think v4.2 is best (especially the hair color).

Revision of mine:

Preview: Beige | Blue
Old 2011-12-17, 01:13   Link #90
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bila View Post
very cute, but i dont liked the black thing under the font >:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
I like the red one better since Yui's kimono is reddish also agree with Bila, the black stroke is somehow quite disturbing
I guess the reason that dry brush stroke looked out of place is that the font didn't really match...
I managed to find a more suitable font! (So it looks a little more 'oriental' now, heheheh...)
Not sure how it looks now... could I get some more feedback?
v0r1: Font changed to SSF4 Abuket. Cherry blossom decoration added. Glow added.
(It's kinda funny, using shuffle in iTunes, some SFIV music popped up while I was working on the banner)

Quote:
Revision of mine:

Yui and Mugi look a little blurred there, but the background decorations are looking pretty good. Though I'm a little worried they might be overpowering...
-------------
I'm having issues with the test page url, specifically the underlined part:
Code:
http://forums.animesuki.com/banner-test.php?css=2&bg=http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5208/backgroundnoiccprofile.png&bnr=http://forums.animesuki.com/picture.php?albumid=3508&pictureid=41861
The banner only shows up if I manually paste it into the banner box on the page. Is it because of my album privacy settings?

Last edited by blaze0041; 2011-12-17 at 05:05.
blaze0041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 01:38   Link #91
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Just to check my entry again with you guys before posting it in the other thread Also it would be nice to get a mod approval before posting it.

Series: Kagura Douchuu-ki
Character: Raidou Nazuna
Preview: Beige/Grey & Blue.
Source: http://sukidakara.wordpress.com/2010...-expectations/
Old 2011-12-17, 03:01   Link #92
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

My entry for this contest. I need CandC for further improvements

Series: Touhou
Character: Konpaku Youmu and Yuyuko Saigyouji
Source: http://www.zerochan.net/517828
IM@S Avatars: Click Me
Old 2011-12-17, 06:22   Link #93
Krytonis
Koomi-kun~
*Graphic Designer

Which do you prefer?
Version 1:

Version 2:

Version 3:

Version 4:

EDIT: Should I move the text to the side a bit?
Old 2011-12-17, 06:54   Link #94
Bila
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Well, if the BG was intentional then no problem I think v4.2 is best (especially the hair color).

Revision of mine:

So cute, loved it, and the paws even its off the theme give it a very cute aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinZwei View Post

Series: Touhou
Character: Konpaku Youmu and Yuyuko Saigyouji
Source: http://www.zerochan.net/517828
Loved the image that you choose, put that black tipo, and the font, dont blend well with the work
Quote:
Which do you prefer?
Version 1:

Version 2:

Version 3:

Version 4:

EDIT: Should I move the text to the side a bit?
I prefer the last ver, and yeah try moving the text a little bit to the side, and try not touching in the snow flake at the coner

@Katapan: my only problem with that banner that the quality is not one of the best, the size is just 10 kbs, try raising the quality a little bit.
Old 2011-12-17, 06:59   Link #95
Krytonis
Koomi-kun~
*Graphic Designer

So about here? Made some few tweaks as well.

Last edited by Krytonis; 2011-12-17 at 07:11.
Krytonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 07:37   Link #96
Bila
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

oh now is too much to the left
try like in that space

so the tipo wont touch in the snow flake near the render and the other in the coner, and the banner wont have too many components glued together
after that the banner will perfect
Old 2011-12-17, 07:58   Link #97
Krytonis
Koomi-kun~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
oh now is too much to the left
try like in that space

so the tipo wont touch in the snow flake near the render and the other in the coner, and the banner wont have too many components glued together
after that the banner will perfect
Okay thank you so much!
Old 2011-12-17, 08:12   Link #98
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
I guess the reason that dry brush stroke looked out of place is that the font didn't really match...
I managed to find a more suitable font! (So it looks a little more 'oriental' now, heheheh...)
Not sure how it looks now... could I get some more feedback?
Yui and Mugi look a little blurred there, but the background decorations are looking pretty good. Though I'm a little worried they might be overpowering...
Hmm.. it certainly looked better than before, but the placement somehow is still not right for me, though maybe it's because the shrine is blocked right in the middle, but I can't think of a proper position too placing it to the edge won't look right either.

Hm.. how about making the title 2 parts (top-down) instead of one? that'll give some space. And place it between the shrine and the tree on the right side. A different font and colors for both words would be nice too

-------

Hmm.. it's not a blur, actually. But maybe it seemed like that because I tried to blend the color of the characters into the background and about the BG, yeah, I felt that way too. Will fix things later

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinZwei View Post
Already looks pretty good to me

Quote:
So cute, loved it, and the paws even its off the theme give it a very cute aspect.
Thanks glad someone liked it XD

Quote:

I'd prefer the outline of the fonts to be in white color, but that's up to you

---------------------------------

Another revision. Altered the placement of various things, reduced the BG a little.

Old 2011-12-17, 14:01   Link #99
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Try not to position the focal in the dead center of the canvas, even a slight, subtle shift makes it better! ^^ Also you might want to think about adding some blending because right now I don't see any attempt, although you could probably get away with it since the render fits the bg and effects Lastly, did you burn and dodge the render? If you did, I would undo it. If you didn't, either establish a l/s or just make the entire render the same brightness because right now, the light hitting the render doesn't make much sense (i'd say dodge the right side of her head and the darker portion of the hair). Both sides of her head are shaded while her face is lighted up and half her hair to the right is shaded and then the rest of it is lighted. Unless the render has a very small l/s right in front of her face, that's not possible. Also, if the text was supposed to the l/s lighting up her hair, try to make the change in brightness on her hair more smooth and not as sudden. Also I'd suggest trying a couple more g-maps Very aesthetically pleasing outcome overall! Just work on the fine details a bit more...
Many thanks for all the comments! I can't say I get it all, but I've fixed the elements that were in my reach for now. I hope I find the time to look into the rest so that I can eventually understand all the fixes you're suggesting.

I reworked on the source pictures as well, I thought the banner lacked crispness as a whole. I still think the compression could be better but I'm more satisfied with this for now:

(oh hai I just realized tinypic was resizing my banner to a terrible 10kb version after a few days... very random.)

Last edited by Katapan; 2011-12-19 at 07:52.
Katapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 15:14   Link #100
Krytonis
Koomi-kun~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Many thanks for all the comments! I can't say I get it all, but I've fixed the elements that were in my reach for now. I hope I find the time to look into the rest so that I can eventually understand all the fixes you're suggesting.

I reworked on the source pictures as well, I thought the banner lacked crispness as a whole. I still think the compression could be better but I'm more satisfied with this for now:

(Test page)
To be honest, I have nothing against with that banner Are you sure you are new to photoshop? Yours look better than mine

Tags
banner contest