Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-22, 16:22   Link #1
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

A New Shojo

In between college work i have been watching eps of Lovely Complex which was suggested in a thread a created about the different genres and that anime being my first shojo ever watched, i really love the way its more about the feelings and for one i have really come to love L*C and i am wondering if anyone has a new shojo anime just like this one with a good romance with a good story like in L*C, if you could suggest some with views on how the story goes that would be helpful and maybe your opinions on that anime too.
EDIT
I want a romance comedy like Lovely Complex where they are kinda friends and get together and its overall happy.

Last edited by ReizoSan; 2008-01-23 at 05:27.
Old 2008-01-22, 16:31   Link #2
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Simoun. No doubts about it.

Personally, I haven't watched L*C.

Your description some-what fits in Simoun~
Old 2008-01-22, 18:31   Link #3
miaka

Bokura ga ita - high school shoujo romance
Nodame Cantabile - comedy/romance
Old 2008-01-22, 18:45   Link #4
Omfgbbqwtf

Nana, 47 episodes, tons of drama, romance, and comedy. Best Slice of Life anime I have ever watched

Although the anime is longer than the usual ones, but I loved every single episodes. Komatsu Nana and Osaki Nana (also known as Punk Nana, since she is the vocalist of the band "Black Stone" in the anime) are the main characters of the anime. They have almost the exact opposite personalities but somehow they are able to become friends right in the beginning. The plot focuses on romance as well as the relationship of the two Nana (as friends).

One thing I like the most about Nana is the character development. Each Nana has very distinct personalities, and you will see how their personalities will bring conflicts to their individual relationships with their boyfriends. In the beginning, Komatsu Nana is viewed as a naive and cannot-survive-on-her-own type of girl. As the story goes on, you will see how Komatsu Nana becoming more and more mature. Osaki Nana will also get a ton of character development as you start out the series not knowing anything about her, and gradually, you will understand what type of person she really is.
Old 2008-01-23, 03:51   Link #5
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omfgbbqwtf View Post
Nana, 47 episodes, tons of drama, romance, and comedy. Best Slice of Life anime I have ever watched

Although the anime is longer than the usual ones, but I loved every single episodes. Komatsu Nana and Osaki Nana (also known as Punk Nana, since she is the vocalist of the band "Black Stone" in the anime) are the main characters of the anime. They have almost the exact opposite personalities but somehow they are able to become friends right in the beginning. The plot focuses on romance as well as the relationship of the two Nana (as friends).

One thing I like the most about Nana is the character development. Each Nana has very distinct personalities, and you will see how their personalities will bring conflicts to their individual relationships with their boyfriends. In the beginning, Komatsu Nana is viewed as a naive and cannot-survive-on-her-own type of girl. As the story goes on, you will see how Komatsu Nana becoming more and more mature. Osaki Nana will also get a ton of character development as you start out the series not knowing anything about her, and gradually, you will understand what type of person she really is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhead View Post
Simoun. No doubts about it.

Personally, I haven't watched L*C.

Your description some-what fits in Simoun~
Ill have a brief look at an episode of nana and see if it take my fancy , also about Simoun looks quite wierd about everyone being a woman and then it look sci-fi so maybe not my cup of tea but ill go check it out as well, anymore??
Old 2008-01-23, 03:59   Link #6
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Honey & Clover It's josei so its aimed at woman isntead of girls, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. This is probably the best thing since sliced bread for shoujo lovers. None of the previous mentioned anime come close to this(Nodame has a chance with the next season, but that isn't here yet ). Watch both seasons. It's slice of life comedy romance. No overdone characters they feel just right. No forced drama it's al natrual.

It's pretty much a coming to age drama. Art students making the step into adulthood. With love troubles and family troubles.
Old 2008-01-23, 04:14   Link #7
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

I was thinking about that as it is directed by the same person as kimikiss, thanks for that suggestion, any more?
I want a school romance like L*C and maybe if the story is like they are kind of friends then get together and its overall happy , because i have been looking at some like honey and clover but i'm not really sure if i like it yet may need to watch more or it, but i was going to watch Ef - A tale of memories, but it says drama please can you give me a spoiler of what happens and is it overall sad.

Last edited by ReizoSan; 2008-01-23 at 05:27.
Old 2008-01-23, 06:27   Link #8
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

EF IS NOT SAD!!! It is the most inspirational, brilliant, happy show ever. There is a lot of drama in it, no doubt, but if you don't smile at the end you have an empty soul!

However, if you want something like L*C, no doubt the best choices are Nodame Cantabile, honey and Clover, and so forth.

Simoun is nothing like that, whoever said so was high. However, it's one of my favorite anime, so I can't not suggest it, lol.
Old 2008-01-23, 06:30   Link #9
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

ef isnt overall sad.. there are sad moments but..........

its hard to explain, it will be worth watching
Old 2008-01-23, 08:16   Link #10
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
EF IS NOT SAD!!! It is the most inspirational, brilliant, happy show ever. There is a lot of drama in it, no doubt, but if you don't smile at the end you have an empty soul!

However, if you want something like L*C, no doubt the best choices are Nodame Cantabile, honey and Clover, and so forth.

Simoun is nothing like that, whoever said so was high. However, it's one of my favorite anime, so I can't not suggest it, lol.
Thanks for the info on EF, i will get round to watching it but if it has sad parts i will wait a bit to watch it then, i just wanted a funny romantic comedy like L*C and i have checked out Nodame but its music which i was hoping for a school romance.
then honey and clover wasn't getting my interest i have watched 2 ep's but i don't like how that girl looks like 5 and these guys fancy her, i have checked out Da Capo but with about 3 seasons and they way the second season is like 50 years latter or something i'm not sure about this anime and it could have sad moments i'm not sure can anyone clear this up for me.
Is there any others that kind of newly done plus having a romantic comedy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahem View Post
ef isnt overall sad.. there are sad moments but..........

its hard to explain, it will be worth watching
I will watch this but as i have been warned it has sad moments proberlly like Kanon then i will hold off from watching this i just want a fun romantic anime.
Old 2008-01-23, 09:14   Link #11
EhrinUCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReizoSan View Post
I want a romance comedy like Lovely Complex where they are kinda friends and get together and its overall happy.
Kamisama Kazoku - Comedy/ Romance/ Supernatural/ School live....and i'm not sure,
but i think it's seinen not shoujo... still it fits Your description

Last edited by EhrinUCHI; 2008-01-23 at 09:28.
Old 2008-01-23, 09:23   Link #12
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

ef doesnt have the tearjerking scenarios that kanon had but there are some that will sting your heart, and im sure of it.

if you're looking for strictly romantic comedy, then ef would not fit in.
Old 2008-01-23, 10:15   Link #13
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhrinUCHI View Post
Kamisama Kazoku - Comedy/ Romance/ Supernatural/ School live....and i'm not sure,
but i think it's seinen not shoujo... still it fits Your description
cheers , i may give this a go but its quite a weird story about being a son of a god and that so i'm not sure i would just prefer a proper school romance with no weird elements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahem View Post
ef doesnt have the tearjerking scenarios that kanon had but there are some that will sting your heart, and im sure of it.
if you're looking for strictly romantic comedy, then ef would not fit in.
yeah i'm strictly looking for romantic comedy so i am not going to watch EF yet.
Old 2008-01-23, 12:49   Link #14
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

hmm. For the record, only the main character actually has a thing for the younger looking girl, everyone just finds her adorable, lol. Yeah, even I thought she was a bit of an extreme loli, XD. In any event, while it is ery musically based, Nodame mostly takes place at the college the students attend, yaknow.

If you want something funny and awesome that's all about school, you can't go wrong with Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight. It's the single most uplifing experience there is in anime and everyone needs to give it a try.
Old 2008-01-23, 13:01   Link #15
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
hmm. For the record, only the main character actually has a thing for the younger looking girl, everyone just finds her adorable, lol. Yeah, even I thought she was a bit of an extreme loli, XD. In any event, while it is ery musically based, Nodame mostly takes place at the college the students attend, yaknow.

If you want something funny and awesome that's all about school, you can't go wrong with Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight. It's the single most uplifing experience there is in anime and everyone needs to give it a try.
It was so strange about that, but the episodes were not that great i don't know may watch another and take it from there.
I really didn't like Nodame at all hole thing about the piano really bored me the characters are really good but i hate the piano stuff, ive just checked out Gakuen but it says "comedy futuristic" if its futuristic its not what i am looking for but it doesn't say its a romance is it???
Old 2008-01-23, 13:38   Link #16
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

no, it's not a romance, lol. Forgt that part. and it's not futuristic, at all.

Erm... well go watch His and Her Circumstances (aka KAre Kano) it's, like, the classic high school romance. And it's really funny for the most part.
Old 2008-01-23, 15:48   Link #17
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

all I can come up with is a anime set for this spring, Special A.

love this manga and am looking forward to the anime.
Old 2008-01-23, 22:54   Link #18
Lintendo

I definitely second Bokura ga Ita. It's one of the best of the genre.

Beyond that, I don't know any "new" ones. I'd suggest Marmalade Boy and Hana Yori Dango, though they're made in the '90s and people tend to overlook them due to their art styles. They remind me of Lovely Complex though
Old 2008-01-24, 00:16   Link #19
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

If your looking for a new shojo check out Hatenko Yuugi I found it pretty awesome .

* Summary : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_(manga)

* AS Thread : http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=56102

* Download : http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1165.html
Old 2008-01-24, 06:36   Link #20
Navel

ReizoSan, try Ouran High School Host Club. It is lots of fun and the characters are all high school students. Romance is not the central point in this anime, but there is. More like love than romance only. And yes, it's happy all around.

Kare Kano that others have mentioned would be more like Lovely Complex. Because of production problems, the second part of the show has lots of recap moments and they sometimes use a manga-like style, so be warned.
Closed Thread