AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-09-19, 19:07   Link #1
Thelastguardian

CG/Wallpaper forum?

I searched the forum and found no similar discussion thread. If it had been debated previously I apologize before hand.

After reading the I summon the 5chan. thread I started thinking: Why can't animesuki has the same thing?

A signicificant portion of my (also a lot of otaku I know) useless online time is spend on hunting cgs for my collection. Thus I often jump between forums to find the newest and rare cgs/wallpaper. Since AS is a forum base on animation, why shouldn't it has a cg sub-forum?

The Fan Art sub-forum, while highly generalize in its own ways, suffered from one disadvantage: The person who posted the pictures are usually the sketchers themself.

1. Threads base instead of posts base.

2. People could posts cgs they got from internet in their thread.

3. Use external online storage for cgs instead of relying on AS server's storage space.

Even a wallpaper sub-forum would be adequte.

Doing this may bloat the forum's space as there would be threads solely for cgs, but even then I think its worth it.

Opinions are welcome

*awaiting the flames...*

PS Obviously this is my little scheme to "expand" my spider web of cg collection
Old 2004-09-19, 19:44   Link #2
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
...Doing this may bloat the forum's space as there would be threads solely for cgs, but even then I think its worth it...
It also slows down loading times for people who have no interest whatever in that particular forum. (The fanart forum is different because it is just a bunch of links to offsite images.) For me it's definitely not worth it.

I don't want to see AS get put into a different financial picture due to higher bandwidth demand either.

And any/all of this supposes that the mods are willing to create rules for and moderate something new...

If you really need to have an image forum that is different from the ones already out there, then DIY and let us know when it's up.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-19, 20:33   Link #3
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
3. Use external online storage for cgs instead of relying on AS server's storage space.
okay, i thought that this was suggestions of what to do for/in the forum.

but, in #2 you state
Quote:
2. People could posts cgs they got from internet in their thread.
... which is a change from the regular fanart forum.

Quote:
It also slows down loading times for people who have no interest whatever in that particular forum. (The fanart forum is different because it is just a bunch of links to offsite images.) For me it's definitely not worth it.
which makes me wonder where the heck that came from, as he suggested some form of off- site linkage... but...

Quote:
Doing this may bloat the forum's space as there would be threads solely for cgs, but even then I think its worth it.
i dont think the extra space taken up by the new threads would greatly slow the server down

(I am assuming he is speaking of off-site hosting)

babbito2k - you need to read better
Thelastguardian - you need to express yourself better. that was confusing.

and i agree, but there is a "post your desktop thread" for desktops.

maybe you should create a "post a CG" thread, or similar. instead of a subforum
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-19, 21:02   Link #4
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
he suggested some form of off- site linkage
Well At least someone understand, partly anyway.

Similar to what people are doing in the post your deaktop thread.

1. you got a cg you want to post
2. you upload to online space website
3. you use [img] to hotlink it

Not that hard to understand is it?
Old 2004-09-19, 23:07   Link #5
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Well At least someone understand, partly anyway.

Similar to what people are doing in the post your deaktop thread.

1. you got a cg you want to post
2. you upload to online space website
3. you use [img] to hotlink it

Not that hard to understand is it?
to think that i thought babbit was right for awhile...

I am all for it, but I think that one Thread would be more efficient, and one post ( the starting one(s)?) could link to all the CGs posted in the thread.
Old 2004-09-20, 04:00   Link #6
Shadowlord
~DESU

I agree, I have a couple images I am just itching to post somewhere!
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 04:07   Link #7
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

We never will have a CG/Wallpaper Forum. We have a forum devoted to fan art, we have a few threads devoted to images (from specific anime) and we've got the Post your Desktop Thread for wallpaper, but I doubt we ever will have a Forum devoted to images.

You can say what you will about forum loading time, relevance or interest amongst our membership, but none of that would be the correct reason. The reason is very simple: We are not 4chan or 5chan. If you want that there are already forums devoted to anime images. Simply go there to get the best pictures. We feel no need or desire to compete with others when they do it so well. Bravo 4chan! Bravo 5chan. Thanks to you we don't need to fulfill this need.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 13:26   Link #8
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
We never will have a CG/Wallpaper Forum. We have a forum devoted to fan art, we have a few threads devoted to images (from specific anime) and we've got the Post your Desktop Thread for wallpaper, but I doubt we ever will have a Forum devoted to images.

You can say what you will about forum loading time, relevance or interest amongst our membership, but none of that would be the correct reason. The reason is very simple: We are not 4chan or 5chan. If you want that there are already forums devoted to anime images. Simply go there to get the best pictures. We feel no need or desire to compete with others when they do it so well. Bravo 4chan! Bravo 5chan. Thanks to you we don't need to fulfill this need.
true, then people would post torrents of large batches of CG... and it would get out of hand. but would another thread to cover this need for CG be appropriate?

or w(sh?)ould you just post your CG in the Sig/AV/Desktop thread, as part of Sig/AV/Desktop respectivly, if you want to share your vast collection of images i can only (echo nosanninwa's)suggest(ion) that you go to one of those threads.