AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-11-09, 19:50   Link #21
Autumn Demon
~

I find it odd that Bush is called the 43rd president when there have only been 42 presidents so far. : /
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 20:17   Link #22
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
I find it odd that Bush is called the 43rd president when there have only been 42 presidents so far. : /
Grover Cleveland won two non-consecutive terms, so he counted as the 22nd and 24th President.

To put it in perspective: let's say that in this past election no seats were changed amongst the various open Congress positions (i.e. none of the Representatives or Senators lost their positions). So, if none of the positions changed, would we still call the Congress the 110th? No, of course not, it would still be the 111th due to the simple fact that even if the people stayed the same; the very fact that there was an election means that this Congress is "New".

edit: as has been pointed out to me, this logic is immensely flawed .

--

Concerning Iran and their potential development of nuclear weapons: Obama has an interesting strategy to counter possible Iranian tensions regarding not allowing them to develop nuclear weapons. Specifically, while America will prevent Iran from gaining nuclear weapons, America will also be destroying/retiring much of their own nuclear arsenal. So, America would be equalizing their position to Iran and the world. Additionally, America could hopefully help Iran, or other developing nations, develop nuclear power plants.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-11-09 at 22:16.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 22:11   Link #23
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
To put it in perspective: let's say that in this past election no seats were changed amongst the various open Congress positions (i.e. none of the Representatives or Senators lost their positions). So, if none of the positions changed, would we still call the Congress the 110th? No, of course not, it would still be the 111th due to the simple fact that even if the people stayed the same; the very fact that there was an election means that this Congress is "New".
So... by that logic... George Washington should be the 1st and 2nd president, and every other president to have served more than one term should be the nth and (n+x)th president.
Old 2008-11-09, 22:15   Link #24
james0246

Quote:
So... by that logic... George Washington should be the 1st and 2nd president, and every other president to have served more than one term should be the nth and (n+x)th president.
LOL, You are correct. I blame my tiredness for that mistake. Thanks for the correction .
Old 2008-11-10, 09:43   Link #25
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

We heard little from either candidate about civil liberties issues after the financial collapse, but in the long run I believe they matter more than the economy. Economies expand, contract, and expand again, but it will take determined effort to restore our civil liberties to the condition they were in before 2001.

Obama can implement some important symbolic actions on Inauguration Day like signing an executive order closing the Guantanamo prison and renouncing renditions and torture as tactics. Overturning the most disgusting portions of the PATRIOT act will take a lot longer, especially since the Democrats in Congress will have to admit they made a mistake. I presume they can dress it up by saying the original bill had some problems that need readjustment.

Obama's capitulation on telecom immunity worries me that he won't do the right thing on what most people view as fringe issues. To me, liberty is what America has historically been about, but those concerns fade to the background when people can't afford to stay in their homes or put food on the table.

Anyone looking for copyright reform during the next four years will be sorely disappointed. While the content industries have substantial influence with both parties, they're especially closely allied with the Democrats. Years of substantial campaign contributions from Hollywood have pretty much guaranteed that. I found myself allied with people I would never otherwise support when it came to voting on the 2008 Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights Act. Sam Brownback? Jon Kyl? Not my usual cup of tea.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 10:04   Link #26
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
To me, liberty is what America has historically been about, but those concerns fade to the background when people can't afford to stay in their homes or put food on the table.
Well said, Sensei. I'm sure that you were old enough to see/hear about the civil rights movement in person. That, along with other steps towards full liberty, is what makes America great. When she first became independent, only white males with property had the right to vote. The "property" part was dropped first, then the "male", and finally, the "white".
Old 2008-11-10, 18:02   Link #27
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Well said, Sensei. I'm sure that you were old enough to see/hear about the civil rights movement in person. That, along with other steps towards full liberty, is what makes America great. When she first became independent, only white males with property had the right to vote. The "property" part was dropped first, then the "male", and finally, the "white".
Technically the white was dropped before the male, and in fact might not be so technical if in an alternate history Lincoln lasted longer or if his replacement didn't prove so much of a wimpy fuckhead who probably didn't believe a word of the Emancipation Proclamation. It kind of ruins the deal when the President didn't bother to challenge Jim Crow laws and pretty much messed up everything else on the Reconstruction. Mind, I suspect Lincoln started out pragmatic and not nearly as concerned for black fate as he is portrayed now, but I sincerely believe that along the way he bought his own rhetoric and took the issue in a new light.

But hey, life. Took just a century to redo, and at least it gave us pretty speeches, good songs, and grand footages of common heroism to show for it. You could say the same for now: whatever Obama becomes, at least the Bush years made this kind of history-making moment possible.

Don't you agree how pretty the rainbows outside my window is? :/
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 19:25   Link #28
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Mind, I suspect Lincoln started out pragmatic and not nearly as concerned for black fate as he is portrayed now, but I sincerely believe that along the way he bought his own rhetoric and took the issue in a new light.
You were right. Above all, his primary aim was to keep the Union intact. However, as the Civil War goes on, and Union troops on the ground began freeing the slaves in lands where they marched into, Abe was soon moved to recognise that slavery had to go.

For the failures of Reconstruction, Andrew Johnson's place in history had been shifting. I myself had not yet decided where he stands, but I believe Jim Crow was a combined effort by all the whites who were not ready to give the blacks their vote.
Old 2008-11-11, 03:19   Link #29
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
All though I will be slightly dissapointed if a major rebuke of the telecom verdict doesn't happen, it won't surprise me. Call me crazy, but I think the only ones who are really bugging about it is the civil liberties peeps, avg joe blow didn't seem to care about it before the economic bruhaha.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 04:05   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Avg joe blow has a bad habit of not noticing til the knock on his own door in the night.
Old 2008-11-11, 04:38   Link #31
james0246

In other news, Obama is finally sending several of his campaign aides down to Georgia in order to help secure another possible Senate win for the Democratic Party. McCain, Rove, and other prominent Republicans are also going to Georgia in order to campaign for incumbent Saxby Chambliss.

So, Georgia could be turning into a microcosm of the 2008 election with Chambliss as McCain and Jim Martin as Obama.
Old 2008-11-11, 05:00   Link #32
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Avg joe blow has a bad habit of not noticing til the knock on his own door in the night.
I seriously doubt that could happen anymore in the US and much of Europe. The Nazis came to power under extreme economic, political and social stress. But, technology has improved, and it is possible that the FBI will become a better data gatherer than the Gestapo without the American citizen knowing about it.

Russia and China missed the Enlightenment, and many people there would really subscribe to the "money>freedom" theory.
Old 2008-11-11, 07:51   Link #33
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
In other news, Obama is finally sending several of his campaign aides down to Georgia in order to help secure another possible Senate win for the Democratic Party. McCain, Rove, and other prominent Republicans are also going to Georgia in order to campaign for incumbent Saxby Chambliss.

So, Georgia could be turning into a microcosm of the 2008 election with Chambliss as McCain and Jim Martin as Obama.
I will be terribly surprised if Chambliss doesn't win, given how dixie states vote on a state level.
Old 2008-11-11, 10:19   Link #34
typhonsentra

Yeah it's basically the Republicans tryin to find a bright spot in the bleak political climate. Chambliss losing that seat at this point would require a miracle.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 14:49   Link #35
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quite historic. First non-white president in the history of the US.

As long as the economy is turned around, I don't really care about anything else. All the little stuff can come later.
Old 2008-11-11, 15:52   Link #36
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
I will be terribly surprised if Chambliss doesn't win, given how dixie states vote on a state level.
What do you mean by this?
Old 2008-11-11, 22:38   Link #37
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Wasn't sure whether to place in here or the news stories, but since it is related to Obama and the future of comedy.
Laughing at Obama
Quote:
The George Bush presidency has been rich pickings for those in one line of work - comedy. But with Barack Obama's election win steeped in historical significance, is America's new leader beyond comic reproach?
Being a Brit, it's something that has been on my mind during October, if he were to win at the time. I remember watching Mind of Mencia earlier this year who had some kick ass funny political related skits at the time. (fav being if Obama were to win, this is what a "black" house would look like, cue all ghetto/black stereotypes xD)
But the comedy was based on a possible event.
Now it's happened, and as the sublines says 'a moment stepped in history' - can satire get away with riducling him without racial or political correct retaliation, as one reader states:
Quote:
Obama is mixed race and sensitivities are such that that will restrict satire in these politically correct days. Also, since most comedians and the media are on the left there will be limited comedy. For example, Spitting image was at its height during the Tory years but during the Blair years satire was very limited. Now that the Democrats are in charge in the States the comedy writers will be on the dole. They will come back into force when Mrs Palin is president (only joking!)
Jokes so far:
'Obama win causes obsessive supporters to realise how empty their lives are' - Onion.com
'Obama Releases List of Approved Jokes About Himself' - BorowitzReport.com
'President-elect Barack Obama vows to enslave white people' - UnconfirmedSources.com
'Obama stripped of title after failing drug test' - Newsbiscuit.com
'Nation elects first largely Hawaiian president' - Daily Show

Bush was generally hated and not so bright, thus easy pickings, but do you think we'll find ourselves being 'nicer' to Obama?
(well i ask America, cause tbh, i don't think the Brit satire artists give a damn, no one gets an easier time, lol)

Ah, in case you're not aware of spitting image, here's the link. Maybe youtube has vids on it too.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 00:50   Link #38
solomon

Quote:
What do you mean by this?
Chambliss is a righty correct? With the exception of ATL and the black belt Georgia is overwhelmingly republican when it comes to local, state and federal representation. Just scare the living daylights out of people with TV adds saying Reid and Pelosi will legalize abortion and gay marriage and Chambliss will win.
Old 2008-11-15, 18:47   Link #39
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I wonder what sequence will take place in the unresolved Senate races. People voting in the GA runoff already know the results overall. I'm guessing the "don't let the Democrats control it all" meme will be played repeatedly by the Chambliss folks. If the Dems pick up Alaska and Minnesota before the Georgia runoff is held, this argument will gain even more traction.

Remember, though, that even if the Dems were to gain all three seats (unlikely in my view), they'd still be relying on Lieberman for the cloture vote, someone many Democrats would like to strip of his committee chairmanship.

I'm glad to see Stevens fall behind in Alaska. If he were to win, we might be seeing a lot more of Sarah Palin. Stevens can't possibly retain his seat after both the Minority Leader, Mitch McConnell, and John McCain said he needs to go. If he were to win, I'm guessing Palin would appoint herself in the interim then run in the required election 90 days later. "How're you going to keep them down on the farm after they've seen DC?"
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 22:41   Link #40
solomon

Still even with the 60 votes, gay marriage and abortion and gun restriction and even spending bills are very unlikely to be steamrolled due to enough socially and fiscally conservative democrats in the chambers.

Tags
united_states